Do you believe some people shouldn't drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

I was driving home from the gym and this lady in a lifted truck cuts me off. Now my car is pretty small so maybe she didn't see me but it was pretty damn close. She was a few feet away from hitting my car. I say to myself "Well excuse you, what the hell".she then speeds up next to me and yells "**** you, *****". I yelled that she needed to learn how to drive and then she said something but I couldn't understand her since she was speeding past me.

It's people like this that shouldn't be issued a license. Do you agree? Have you had a bad experience while driving?

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

I was driving home from the gym and this lady in a lifted truck cuts me off. Now my car is pretty small so maybe she didn't see me but it was pretty damn close. She was a few feet away from hitting my car. I say to myself "Well excuse you, what the hell".she then speeds up next to me and yells "**** you, *****". I yelled that she needed to learn how to drive and then she said something but I couldn't understand her since she was speeding past me.

It's people like this that shouldn't be issued a license. Do you agree? Have you had a bad experience while driving?

I do, but I've never been able to formulate a way to enact this kind of thing, nor have I heard of a plan that wouldn't be horribly abused. Still, my heart is with you on this!!!
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Of course some people shouldn't drive. That's a given.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I work in a town that's close to a certain religious group that is known for their bad driving. From experience, they shouldn't be driving at all. I find it pretty bad when a person is trying to change lanes and they can't just yet, butthey stay in the middle of the road where no one can then pass them.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
It irritates me when people drive to close to the side of my car. One time actually when I was younger a lady was driving a car so close to my dad driving that my mom actually took a water bottle and threw it at the other car.:lol:
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
It irritates me when people drive to close to the side of my car. One time actually when I was younger a lady was driving a car so close to my dad driving that my mom actually took water bottle and threw it at the other car.:lol:shadowchronicle
Ha! Wish I had the guts to do that.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I believe around 70% of people have no business behind the wheel of a car, or worse yet a truck. At least around here.

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
Yes. The UK,China and everyone in India.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Yes, bad drivers exist. The best you can do is be so much better that they can't do anything to you. It would also be good if you had a good car. It wouldn't do a good driver anything to be stuck in a poor quality car where you can't move when you need to.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I believe around 70% of people have no business behind the wheel of a car, or worse yet a truck. At least around here.

coasterguy65

Well darn...

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

A good third of all drivers' vision is limited to a small cone about 20 meters long, directly in front of their car. Anything to the sides or ahead of them, they are completely blind to. Anyway, there's not much you can do about it. You could try to create more intense practical tests to get/renew a license, but I'm not sure that would do any good.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I believe anyone who thinks driving a lifted truck on the highway is a good idea should not drive.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Yeah, people like me shouldn't drive. I just love flooring the gas pedal on my Foxbody.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#14 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
I dont think so...a lot of people can screw up once...think about, have you never made a single mistake (that was like 1 inch away from becomming a huge and fatal mistake) while driving? pretty sure most of us wouldnt have a license now. but there should still be bigger punishment...2 of my friends were riding a bike and they were passing next to a car and the brillliant lady thought it would be nice to open the door (while the car was still moving...in a highway) and my friends almost ate the fricking door. then the lady yells "HOLY **** WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING JACKASS!! YOU ARE GOING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED WITH THAT DRIVING!"
DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I've always had bad experiences with old people, so yeah, I don't think they should be driving anymore. I also have bad encounters with drivers with Mexican license plates. Since I live in a bordertown, I see a lot of them on the streets, and man, are they horrible drivers.

DocDelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 DocDelicious
Member since 2011 • 410 Posts
Yes. I think that people over the age of 65 and under 25 should have to retake their drivers test every year to be able to keep their license.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I have bad experiences constantly. I follow the rules of the road and am cautious. People flip me off for going the speed limit, and one guy illegally passed me after riding my ass only inches away from me for like 10 km. Because I was going the speed limit. In the rain. People are asses and think what they have to do is more important than everything else. It's annoying.

I am a hesitant and careful driver and therefore people like me don't bother me. Tourists or out-of-towners who don't know how long their merge lanes are or when to turn somehwere don't bug me. I've been them before, so I'm very patient.

Something ran out in front of my car one night, or looked like it, at 10 pm while I was trying to merge onto the highway. For that reason I stopped for a moment. Some ass coming up behind me doing 60 or so on an exit that said maximum 30 starts honking at me. I just had the crap scared out of me and didn't want to ram a deer or person or whatever just flew in front of my car, ya mind?

EDIT: Pedestrians can be even worse. They walk right out in front of you all "herp de derp" not even looking around, pushing the crosswalk button, etc. Or this one kid, when I was making a turn, he was coming from the other side of the street so I had room to turn into my lane, and he starts accellerating on his skateboard as he's going across the street. WTF DUDE, I AM IN YOUR WAY, where do you figure you're going, besides into the side of my car?

Nitrouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nitrouz
Member since 2007 • 423 Posts

Some people are just in a big rush and believe they have the right away all the time. It's amazing what people will do just to get to there destination 1 second faster

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

My friend's driving scares the crap out of me. She doesn't know how to get anywhere, she gets easily distracted, she doesn't check before she changes lanes, she'll get very, veryclose to the cars in front of her (especially on the highway), apparently she doesn't know what the yellow line in the middle of the road means and she'll drive on the wrong freaking side of the road.

Just the times I've been with her, we've almost been in at least 6 accidents and almost killed a guy on a motorcycle.

BdogTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 BdogTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 675 Posts
Lol, I failed my learners license last year, I knew I would be a hazard to the road =P
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

**** yes, try 90% of people on the road. For one, I think that when you hit 60 that's it, you're off the road. There are so many goddamn old people that drive uber-slow, stop ten miles short of where they need to, and take a century and a half to move when the light turns green. On top of that, they're horrible ****ing drivers. They change lanes without looking or signaling, they veer, and sometimes they act like they have no clue where they're going and are trying to figure it out while the rest of us are trying to guess what they're going to do so as to not run into them. It doesn't matter how fast you drive, if you don't know what you're doing you're still dangerous even if you are going five ****ing miles per hour.

Then there are the ****ing landscaping vehicles, I'd ban them from being on the road. Again, they go slower than a mule. People who drive to the very front of the open lane when there's a merger, they can **** off, there are other people on the road and they're not entitled to go ahead of everyone else. Tailgaters, license revoked. People who drive slow as hell in the fast lane, off the road. People who cut other people off, and people who drive or would like to drive Beamers, Benzes, and/or Lexuses because in my experience anyone who drives those cars drives like a jerk. Oh, and people who don't drive when the light turns green, I don't have all ****ing day to sit around while you stare at a ****ing green light doing nothing. And people who text/do their makeup/do their nails/read their mail/do any other activity that makes them completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

If I sound pissed, it's because I just spent an entire 45 minute drive that should've been a half-hour drive having to deal with every single one of these people that I've just described.

Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Yes. If you can barely walk....you should not Drive. Plus women drivers are just as bad as men drivers...
Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
I think that only people with vision disorders or something along that nature that make their driving unsafe should not. I also think that after a certain age say 65 or 70 that you should have to retake your driving test because your vision can decline over the course of a lifetime so.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theone86

I think that only people with vision disorders or something along that nature that make their driving unsafe should not. I also think that after a certain age say 65 or 70 that you should have to retake your driving test because your vision can decline over the course of a lifetime so. silentnightmere

I had an uncle who couldn't see worth a damn (cataracks). He used to cheat on the vision tests (don't ask me how). One day his sideview was mysteriously held on by a piece of wire. I dunno how these people keep driving as long as they do, but what's clear is that just testing them every now and then isn't working.

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeldaluff

For one, I think that when you hit 60 that's it, you're off the road.

theone86

Disagree. In my grandfather's case, I can see where you're coming from. However, my uncle is 72 and drives perfectly fine. It would be problematic if he couldn't drive to work every day, wouldn't it?

I think after you hit a certain age you should be tested again....perhaps regularly.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
With the explosion of teens using text messaging, that serves as a huge distraction while driving, so the minimum driving age should be raised.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

For one, I think that when you hit 60 that's it, you're off the road.

zeldaluff

Disagree. In my grandfather's case, I can see where you're coming from. However, my uncle is 72 and drives perfectly fine. It would be problematic if he couldn't drive to work every day, wouldn't it?

I think after you hit a certain age you should be tested again....perhaps regularly.

I know there are good drivers in addition to bad drivers over age 60, but frankly I don't care. There are too many idiotic old drivers who drive far longer than they should AND who are tested regularly and somehow manage to pass. If they need to get somewhere they can take the bus. Frankly, I think we should have far more people using public transportation and far more public transportation in general. Ideally everyone could and would use public transit to get to 95% of the places that they're going and cars would only be used for certain tasks.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Most people in California have no business driving but the DMV is a joke to begin with...

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

For sure. Especially those that are blind.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Anyone who doesn't use a turn signal can get off the damn road. Also, half of Ohio.
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
I think that only people with vision disorders or something along that nature that make their driving unsafe should not. I also think that after a certain age say 65 or 70 that you should have to retake your driving test because your vision can decline over the course of a lifetime so. silentnightmere
I was born with a vision disorder and drive fine. It's because I've had my whole life and have learned to adapt to it after all of this time, so it's really no big deal to me.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i just flip most off alot of people are well....not suited i dont feel like getting modded...

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
Rednecks who think it's "fun" to run over animals shouldn't drive...no matter what kind of animal it is.
Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

Steameffekt
Wait a second... if she cut you off, how does she then proceed to speed up next to you? Wouldn't she have to change lanes and then slow down back to you?
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

People who vomit alot or people who have motion sickness.

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zeldaluff

I know there are good drivers in addition to bad drivers over age 60, but frankly I don't care. There are too many idiotic old drivers who drive far longer than they should AND who are tested regularly and somehow manage to pass. If they need to get somewhere they can take the bus. Frankly, I think we should have far more people using public transportation and far more public transportation in general. Ideally everyone could and would use public transit to get to 95% of the places that they're going and cars would only be used for certain tasks.

theone86

I don't know where you live, but you must have nice transportation if you would propose thousands more in a city using it. I think about that and cringe.

And too many idiotic old drivers? Too many idiotic young drivers too, half of which I can't believe passed a driving test. There's always going to be more idiots to replace the ones you ban from driving, and it's too impractical to make them take the bus everywhere.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#37 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I've always had bad experiences with old people, so yeah, I don't think they should be driving anymore. I also have bad encounters with drivers with Mexican license plates. Since I live in a bordertown, I see a lot of them on the streets, and man, are they horrible drivers.

DJChuy
so are you implying that "if you are mexican you cant drive"?
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Yes. I believe that if you don't pass either the written test or road test after 2 tries, you should not be driving. 2 tries is giving some room too. There should also be a max age for driving or some better method to see if elderly people can drive safely. 90% of the bad drivers I see on the road are normally old people.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Yes, I mean we all make mistakes- but dangerous, or aggresive drivers who ignore the speed limit, dont use their signal, pass on wrong sideect. should not be driving. The only thing that really pisses me off is when people make super slow turns. Make your damn turn!!!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

Chojuto

Wait a second... if she cut you off, how does she then proceed to speed up next to you? Wouldn't she have to change lanes and then slow down back to you?

All that first part probably happened in a few seconds, it's just posted a little out of order. I think I get it.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

zeldaluff

I don't know where you live, but you must have nice transportation if you would propose thousands more in a city using it. I think about that and cringe.

And too many idiotic old drivers? Too many idiotic young drivers too, half of which I can't believe passed a driving test. There's always going to be more idiots to replace the ones you ban from driving, and it's too impractical to make them take the bus everywhere.

At least young drivers have the opportunity to get better, old drivers are just going to get worse. Besides, I said I think people who do idiotic things like texting should have their licenses revoked, that would take care of a ton of young drivers right there. And it's really not all that impractical to make old people take the bus, half the time they're not even going anywhere.

I do have a great public transportation system in my city, and I doubt it could handle thousands more using it. I'm also aware that most places in the country don't have a transportation system as good as the one here, and that the one here isn't sufficient for all tasks (grocery shopping to name one), and that once you get outside the metro area public transportation won't cut it for most people (probably for old people, though, buses are cheap, simple, and go everywhere). That's why I said that public transportation would have to be expanded, and why I said ideally i.e. not under current conditions.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theone86

Yes. I believe that if you don't pass either the written test or road test after 2 tries, you should not be driving. 2 tries is giving some room too. There should also be a max age for driving or some better method to see if elderly people can drive safely. 90% of the bad drivers I see on the road are normally old people.SF_KiLLaMaN

I'm glad someone else sees this. The reality of the situation is that even if older people are model drivers they still are less and less safe with every passing year. Bodies deteriorate, it's a fact of life. Eyesight gets worse, reaction times slow down, they have more trouble processing all the sensory information, it's just what happens to everyone. I know old people who are model drivers. They keep their hands at ten and two, they drive the speed limit, they do everything how you're supposed to do it, BUT they are old. Their reaction times are bad, which is the reason WHY they drive like that, to make up for their physical inabilites. And as I said, the things that old people do that worry me aren't speeding or cutting people off. I'm worried about old people who swerve into lanes when they shouldn't because their minds aren't as sharp as they used to be, I'm worried about old people that can't guage distance, I'm worried about old people who make dangerous moves because they process information at a slower speed and by the time they actually make their move the situation has changed since when they last checked. Driving slow does not make one a safe driver.

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

I just wish there were more people who would use the two-second rule... or at least one-second. :?
Also find it humorous when people use their signal as they're turning instead of before. Really defeats the purpose.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Thats why there is no Right to Drive. It's only a privellege.