Do you Believe in evolution or creationism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
I think it is absurd to say that the big bang happened it just does not make any sense at all
Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts
Evolution...
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts
Both.
camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts
Both? Haha, good one....
lobodob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lobodob
Member since 2004 • 2584 Posts
Evolutionism
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
You have to first understand the science in order to disagree with it, as well as present an empirically backed reason for doubting it. I don't think you pass the first test if you think that the big bang has something to do with evolution.
Felix77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Felix77
Member since 2004 • 1713 Posts

I'm a Christian, don't get me wrong, but I think Evolution did happen, but something has got to put the things in motion first. I mean you can prove all you want about when we evolved from little goo, but how did the goo get there? And then how did the thing that started the goo get there?

Also, a question I have always had, if Adam and Eve were the only humans and they had two sons, where did their son's wives come from? lol

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 a55assin
Member since 2005 • 7603 Posts

Evolution doesn't have anything to do with the Big Bang, pal.Bio_Spark

It does in a sort of roundabout way.

If the big Bang happened...that means evolution did as well...

If you don't believe a big explosion suddenly created worlds...well, then you probably won't side with evolution either.

Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts

I think it is absurd to say that the big bang(?!) happened it just does not make any sense at allishoturface

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ishoturface
the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come up
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dracargen

the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upishoturface

Duh, evolution was thought up before the Big Bang. . .

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upishoturface
And why is that?
But really, they don't have much to do with each other. Apart from the fact that they both contributed something to life (one more than the other) they are separate and they don't rely on each other for anything; that includes credibility.
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Junkie_man
Member since 2008 • 1219 Posts

This is going to go to 20 pages plus. If you don't believe in evolution you either don't want to or are ignorant (it's alright to be ignorant, nobody knows everything) I could easily present a wall of text but no one would read it and I'm lazy. Read The Blind Watchmaker, don't be put off by Dawkins, he might not be that much of a philosopher but he's a damn good biologist.

Evolution does not conflict with Christianity in any way, shape or form; and to me there is more beauty in a blind process spanning 3 billion years than some omnipotent deity making everything in 6 days. Evolution does not teach people that they are dirt, Genesis does.

Trying to knock holes in Darwinian evolution does not equal evidence for intelligent design or creationism. I wish more people would understand that simple fact.

I don't see the problem with the big bang theory. surely it would be pretty easy for theists to hijack it into their beliefs?

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts
I believe in Evolution, but I believe God created the World and Life (not in 7 days though, obviously).
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fanofazrienoch
Member since 2008 • 1573 Posts
I think it is absurd to say that the big bang happened it just does not make any sense at allishoturface
if you proved that the big bang was a bunch of bull***, it would have absolutely no bearing on the theory of evolution
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
There is no reason not to believe in Evolution.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

I honestly wish I understood why people who believe in Creation can't accept Evolution.

Evolution can be observed. However, you can't observe the effects instantaneously. Since when did that remove something from being a science?

Evolution is a combination of subjects tossed into one, melding in natural selection, along with genetic mutation, along with heredity. (See Wiki for a more eloquent description than I can offer right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution)
There is absolutely no good reason why someone can't believe in both.

God created the Universe.
Things evolve from this point forth. Is that really so hard to believe? We're already assuming some theoretical being that is greater than all things, and refuses to show His or Her face to masses, created all that we know, defying all laws of nature and creation as we know it. How hard could it really be to believe that things evolve?

We can measure all sorts of things in this world. You cannot always measure the effects of evolution, because many times the effects are qualitative opposed to quantitative. (Longer beaks, shorter legs, and larger eyes are quantifiable, but skin color is a bit more difficult to quantify [Not that you can't, it's just an example as to how sticky things eventually become.] ) Another reason that it's difficult to measure the effects of evolution, is because you need to actually be looking for the changes, and measuring them over periods of generations. Sometimes, hundreds of them, in order to see the changes. Statistics say that things tend to congregate at the average, so you'll have to watch the average drift over periods of centuries.

Easy to point out on humans? Not really, since natural selection and other such theories are 20th century advents (For the most part. Especially in the lands of genetics.) and we've not exactly been documenting the heights of particular groups of individuals, and tracking their growth and breeding patterns for decades in order for us to effectively predict the effects, and thus, prove their correctness.

Another hole: All these things are ultimately chance based, much like Quantum mechanics. You run probabilities of certain traits showing up in offspring, not ensuring them. Empirically proving these sorts of things are notoriously difficult.

Edit: Not Enough bang for your buck there?
Try this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_as_theory_and_fact

Ok...

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

What are you talking about?

Evolution talks about what happens with life that is already existing. It has nothing to do with the big bang, nor anything to do with the origin of life. Believing that God created the universe in some form is not necessarily incompatible with belief that evolution is factual.

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ishoturface
forget all the other post i did im just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing way
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fanofazrienoch
There is no reason not to believe in Evolution.MattUD1
you cannot seriously try to convince someone that evolution is true just because there is no reason to NOT believe in it
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fanofazrienoch
forget all the other post i did im just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing wayishoturface
why not?
clock_of_omens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clock_of_omens
Member since 2005 • 5595 Posts
creationism
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MattUD1
[QUOTE="MattUD1"]There is no reason not to believe in Evolution.fanofazrienoch
you cannot seriously try to convince someone that evolution is true just because there is no reason to NOT believe in it

Besides the observable evidence...
Chavyneebslod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Chavyneebslod
Member since 2005 • 958 Posts
Yaay! One of these threads! I shall lurk quietly until someone makes the good old 'I haven't seen it so I don't believe' argument....
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Junkie_man

[QUOTE="MattUD1"]There is no reason not to believe in Evolution.fanofazrienoch

I'd imagine he was implying that there is more than enough evidence for it to be the accepted explanation, and no new evidence has challenged it. It would be a pretty stupid thing to say otherwise, but I expect there to be another interpretation as I've known MattUD1 to post very eloquently on this topic

Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Junkie_man

I'm glad this poll is going the way it is, at least.

Bio_Spark

4 votes for creationism is 4 too many people who didn't pay enough attention in biology.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MattUD1

[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="MattUD1"]There is no reason not to believe in Evolution.Junkie_man

I'd imagine he was implying that there is more than enough evidence for it to be the accepted explanation, and no new evidence has challenged it. It would be a pretty stupid thing to say otherwise, but I expect there to be another interpretation as I've known MattUD1 to post very eloquently on this topic

Honestly I haven't talked about evolution since my 5 page researched essay on the ID/Creationism/Evolution in science classes. I am however reading a book by Steven Jay Gould written in 1980 on the topic of evolution. He developed the idea of "punctuated equilibrium" in evolution.
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ishoturface
[QUOTE="ishoturface"]forget all the other post i did I'm just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing wayfanofazrienoch
why not?

because im a christian that is not the only reason i dont believe in evolution to think that man evolved from an ape into a man is just insulting
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="MattUD1"]There is no reason not to believe in Evolution.MattUD1

Besides the observable evidence...

Such as...

Observed instances of speciation.
Neanderthal genome sequencing

Humans and Neanderthals shared Earth
Transitional fossil FAQ

Transitional fossils of hominid skulls
The Origin of Whales

List of transitional fossils

Hundreds of human genes still evolving
Human and ape chromosomes
Ken Miller talks about the evolution of blood clotting

Ken Miller on Whale Evolution
Ken Miller on Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District
Early Man Couldn't "Stomach" Milk

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution

Miller-Urey Experiment

The Flagellum Unspun

NASA: Nitrogen, lightning key to early life on Earth
NASA: Scientists Propose New Theory of Early Life on Earth

Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District

Purpose of Appendix Believed Found

Germs Get 'Badder' in Space
Common Ancestor of All Apes Walked Upright
Something Fishy About Human Fingers
Neanderthals Had Language Gene Identical to Ours
Early Humans used Makeup, Ate Seafood

Chimps as Irrationally Possessive as Humans

Earth's Oxygen-Rich Atmosphere Older Than Thought
Climate Change Didn't Kill Neanderthals
Early Humans Could Walk, Not Run
'Baby Talk' Universally Understood
Men With 'Caveman' Faces More Attractive to Women Skull Suggests Two Early Human Species Existed at the Same TimeIntelligent Design on Trial
Are Mutations Harmful?

Introduction to Evolutionary Biology
Missing Link Between Fish and Land Animals

Precambrian Fossils
Permian-Triassic Extinction Event

Oldest Homo Sapiens Found, Experts Say
Neanderthals Not our Ancestors, DNA Study Suggests

Cannibalism Normal For Early Humans?

Neanderthals Had Highly Capable Hands, Study Suggests
Did Neanderthals Lack Smarts to Survive?

Java Skull Raises Questions about Human Origins
First Humans in Australia Dated to 50,000 Years Ago
1.8 Million Year-Old Hominid Jaw Found
When Did "Modern Behavior" in Humans Arise?

Fossil Implies Our Early Kin Lived in Trees

Skull Fossil Opens Window Into Early Period of Human Origins
Study Supports Idea That Primates, Dinosaurs Co-Existed
Evolution of the Horse
BBC: Evolution of Man
Darwin's Finches Evolving Fast
Velociraptor Had Feathers
Speciation
Transitional Vertebrate Fossils FAQ

Here's some pics to liven things up (all from the links above except maybe the one about the bat):

Transitional fossils of some of the homo genus skulls:

Onychonycteris finneyi, the earliest known ancestor to the bat and widely considered to be the "link" between terrestial mammals and bats:

"The clawed bat part refers to one of the many intermediate features that make Onychonycteris the most primitive bat species ever described. In all current and prior fossil species of bats, most of the digits in the wing lack the claws typical of mammalian digits. That's not the case here: all Onychonycteris digits end in claws. The hind limbs are also unusually long, as is the tail, but the limb contains a feature that suggests the presence of a skin flap between the hind limbs and the body.

The relatively short wings and long hindlimbs place Onychonycteris outside of all previous bat species in terms of the ratio between its limbs. In fact, a plot of this ratio puts the fossil species neatly between bats and long-armed creatures like sloths—exactly what would be expected from a species at the base of the bat lineage. The authors argue that the configuration of its limbs, combined with the claws, suggests that it would be powerful climber, able to easily scramble around trees when not flying."

Evolution of the horse:

And a general explanation on why the search for the perfect transitional fossil that creationists keep asking for is foolish, misguided, and just overall plain stupid:

Let's compare the evolution of an organism to the aging of a human being. They're comparable since they're both gradual changes over long periods of time. Let's take a random person in their present day form:

And here's another picture of that same person at an earlier point in time:

Now, we can find various intermediate steps between this picture and the first one:

But we're never going to find the precise moment where the baby turns into the current, present day form. Same thing with anatomical features. Its absurd to say that we can find the exact moment at which a paw turned into a flipper.

Anyway, I think that should cover any creationist "arguments" that get tossed around from here on out.

/thread

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MattUD1
[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="ishoturface"]forget all the other post i did I'm just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing wayishoturface
why not?

because im a christian that is not the only reason i dont believe in evolution to think that man evolved from an ape into a man is just insulting

I find a lack of knowledge frightening.
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dracargen

[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="ishoturface"]forget all the other post i did I'm just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing wayishoturface
why not?

But being poofed into existence from a speck of dirt is a compliment?

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MattUD1

[QUOTE="ishoturface"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="ishoturface"]forget all the other post i did I'm just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing wayDracargen

why not?

But being poofed into existence from a speck of dirt is a compliment?

In Bizzaro world, probably.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
why not?

We are still apes. Your response?
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Junkie_man

why not?

Really any more insulting than being a lump of dirt with God's breath in it?

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Evolution. And it is entirely unrelated to the Big Bang theory, which is also a very reputable theory which is almost universally accepted as fact.
ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
You know the two aren't mutually-exclusive, right?
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dracargen

[QUOTE="ishoturface"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="ishoturface"]forget all the other post i did I'm just saying i dont believe in evolution in a very confusing wayJunkie_man

why not?

Really any more insulting than being a lump of dirt with God's breath in it?

Having God's breath in something is a very high compliment to that something. . . .the "I find it insulting" argument hinges on the belief that evolution is random and mindless.

ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts
Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Evolution: Observable fact. Stick a bunch of bacteria in a petri dish, apply antibiotic. Susceptible bacteria die, resistant ones live and multiply. Build a factory that spews out black smoke which sticks to previously white trees. Mutant moths which are black camouflage better on the now-blackened trees, survive more, multiply.

There isn't a single scientist in the world who would deny that the theory of evolution is good science that holds up to any and all testing. The part that's in any way controversial is by which method evolution takes place, the dominating view being that it takes place by means of natural selection. Seeing as how we can observe natural selection readily, I see no reason why any logical person can deny that this process takes place.

What I'm getting from this topic seems to be that people can't really refute microevolution but are having trouble with the concept of macroevolution. Getting from a single-celled organism to a human by "chance". Thing is, it's not chance. It's guided by natural selection. Things happen in modules, not all at once (ie. virus -> human: not happening). This is how we can construct evolutionary trees. You can see the different modules appearing and trace which path certain features took. A sophisticated circulatory system with a heart, sophisticated eyes, sophisticated digestive system, etc. don't just appear in us - we can readily see the different steps, from rudimentary to more complex, step by step.

The element of chance does arise though when you consider what course evolution might take. If you repeat it all over again, I'd wager a humanoid creature would not appear. We're one of infinite possibilities, and we're nothing special. What are the chances a rose comes to exist? It's a complex organism with more genetic material than a human. I don't believe a rose-God created it in its rosy image. What are the chances X mountain formed with X number of peaks? All of these questions are equal. We're no more a rarity than a fruit fly. It also has a complex eye, circulatory system, digestive system, etc. The only thing that's special about us is our brains, which is not a big step from the chimp brain. It's still a brain, just a better one. Just another small step, in another direction. We don't have sonar, but that doesn't mean I think bats and dolphins are better than us. It's just another direction, from another of infinite directions.

If anyone has visited the creationist museum, pretty much every fact there has been thoroughly discredited by real science. I can't even find the right words to describe that place - I've seen photos of the 'facts' in that museum, and they're just so thoroughly wrong it infuriates me that this place is misinforming people into thinking they're learning scientific proof of their religion. For one example out of hundreds, one panel says that birth defects occur because of sin, which is why there are more birth defects in incest (sin). Let's of course ignore that the real reason this happens is because of the increased chance of combining two defective alleles of a recessive disorder. Even if we didn't know that, 'sin' is not a measurable trait. Sin is not science. All of the attempts to dress creationism up as a science (intelligent design) have been thoroughly discredited by real science. ID has no scientific value and does not belong in a biology ---- only a religion ----

As a biologist and a Christian (though this post sure as hell doesn't make it sound like it), there is no way I can take the Bible as literal truth. My concept of a god lies in the spontaneous generation of life from nonlife - something which may change in our own lifetimes based on abiogenesis experiments. There's faith, and then there's ignoring evidence. Teach science in a science ****oom, teach religion in a religion ----oom. Creationism and ID are not science. If we're going to put intelligent design stickers in textbooks, why not insert a blurb about Xenu, Zeus, or the flying spaghetti monster? They have equal scientific merit.

I'll stop here, as I could easily run on about this for days. Since my post is relatively strongly worded, I'll reiterate: Teach the religion - just keep it in a religion classroom. The only thing about it that infuriates me is that people want to pretend it's science and teach it in a science class, when absolutely no scientist alive agrees.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MattUD1
Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.ColdRush88
To be fair the Earth is 4.someodd billion years old. In the concept of "God" it's pretty much the first rule of "God" that "God" is outside of our current knowledge of time.
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts
I'm fairly well ensconced in the evolution loveseat.
ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts

[QUOTE="ColdRush88"]Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.MattUD1
To be fair the Earth is 4.someodd billion years old. In the concept of "God" it's pretty much the first rule of "God" that "God" is outside of our current knowledge of time.

Are the quotation marks really necessary? I mean, when I'm talking about other deities, I don't say "Vishnu" or "Thor".

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MattUD1

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="ColdRush88"]Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.ElZilcho90

Are the quotation marks really necessary? I mean, when I'm talking about other deities, I don't say "Vishnu" or "Thor".

Perhaps, perhaps not... I do apologize if any offense was taken, but I don't believe in God.
ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts

[QUOTE="ColdRush88"]Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.MattUD1

I'm confused. lol. I've just always argued that if God created the world and humans, then humans came before dinosaurs. Which we know isn't true.

Confusing myself... :?

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

I think it is absurd to say that the big bang happened it just does not make any sense at allishoturface

It's important to remember that just because something doesn't appear to make sense, doesn't mean that doesn't.

It's also important to understand that all humans know only one thing about life and themselves. And that is they know absolutely nothing at all. SO, since none of us actualy knows enough to come to any kind of logical conclusion about anything why do we bother? Of course logic itself isn't really logical. In other words, does it really matter?

joeytentz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 joeytentz
Member since 2008 • 754 Posts
Evolution. There is zero proof of creationism.