Do you beleive in god OT ?

#1 Posted by indzman (18938 posts) -

Absolutely.

wbu ? :)

#2 Posted by magicalclick (23027 posts) -

I believe in omnipotent God. Since most religions lack omnipotent God, I created my own religion.

#3 Edited by Aljosa23 (25482 posts) -

I'd consider myself a realist, alright? But in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist... I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everbody's nobody... I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (89427 posts) -

I believe in myself, yes.

#5 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26457 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

I'd consider myself a realist, alright? But in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist... I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everbody's nobody... I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?

#6 Edited by DaJuicyMan (3524 posts) -

I did until Oberyn died.

#7 Posted by Aljosa23 (25482 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas:

#8 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26457 posts) -

@Aljosa23:

#9 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

I do.

#10 Posted by Stranger_36 (481 posts) -

Yes. I'm a Christian.

#11 Posted by DonQuixote (111 posts) -

No and nobody else should either. It doesn't make sense. The belief in god seems to be mostly a self serving/self created thing... people are afraid to die so they make stuff up. They can't handle their problems so they make stuff up. They pretend like they know god will help them, and that it will all work out somehow and that death is an illusion... all to anesthetize themselves from the horrors of this life.

#12 Posted by indzman (18938 posts) -

@donquixote said:

No and nobody else should either. It doesn't make sense. The belief in god seems to be mostly a self serving/self created thing... people are afraid to die so they make stuff up. They can't handle their problems so they make stuff up. They pretend like they know god will help them, and that it will all work out somehow and that death is an illusion... all to anesthetize themselves from the horrors of this life.

:I

#13 Posted by heguain (677 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

I do.

#14 Posted by awesome3496 (2174 posts) -

Of course I do.

#15 Posted by DonQuixote (111 posts) -

It's pretty sad that most people in America believe in god.

#16 Posted by Celldrax (14679 posts) -

No, I don't.

There's really no reason for me to.

#17 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10258 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

i like you .

#18 Posted by Master_Live (15116 posts) -

No.

#19 Posted by Korvus (4714 posts) -

Not necessarily...I just don't care enough to make up my mind one way or another. I think the existence of a God makes zero difference in my life, so I'm not moved one way or another.

More importantly, I believe in being a good person, helping others, do what's right because it's the right thing to do and not because it will earn me a place anywhere. To be perfectly honest, I hope there is no Heaven...when I die, I just want to be gone.

That being said, I have no dislike for religious people; everyone has their own beliefs that help them move forward in hard times. I do however, dislike those types who, if they saw a truck coming their way , would kneel and pray for God to save them instead of running the hell away. Praying is nice and all, but even if God is real, doesn't mean you don't have to move your ass and live your life instead of waiting for God to solve all your problems.

#20 Posted by Dragerdeifrit (244 posts) -

Not really, a religion is no more than a failed science. I however don't consider myself an athesit, more like an agnostic, in an infinite universe there's place for an infinite number answers for an infinite number of questions. What right do humans have to "confirm" that a god exists or not. We don't even have the capacity of getting out of our damn planet. But one thing i'm 99.99999% sure ,is that if there's an "Universal Engine" form which everything was created aka "God" , it's not the god from any religion. In fact.. it may not even be a conscious being to begin with. In other words... who cares. we'll find soon enough when we die so... just enjoy life.

#21 Posted by commonfate (12491 posts) -

I didn't until I had my first smoked turkey leg at a fair.

Undeniable proof.

#22 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

Yes

#23 Posted by deeliman (2525 posts) -

No, I don't.

#24 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

Define 'God'.

I can't give an appropriate answer until you clarify what you mean.

#25 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

@magicalclick:

lolwut?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Monotheistic_religions

#26 Posted by sukraj (23204 posts) -

Yes

#27 Posted by pariah3 (1013 posts) -

All the evidence I have seen so far points to the complete non-existence of God.

People are in pain, people are suffering pointlessly and people are dying pointlessly yet God does not nothing to stop pointless suffering and death.

God never helped me when I needed help for him and I think that my life would be a lot better if there really was a God.

So no I don't believe in God, I mean why should I? There is no evidence for his existence.

#28 Posted by thegerg (15652 posts) -

No, but I don't believe there isn't a god.

#29 Posted by thehig1 (2618 posts) -

No as there is no evidence to suggest there is a god.

Believing there is a god is condtridictary to what we know about how the world works.

#30 Edited by uninspiredcup (9662 posts) -

I go with the premise of "i dono" when it comes to the universe.

But I'm sure (as usual) some pretentious little uni student will enlighten us seeing how they read an article on wikipedia.

#31 Posted by thegerg (15652 posts) -

@pariah3 said:

All the evidence I have seen so far points to the complete non-existence of God.

People are in pain, people are suffering pointlessly and people are dying pointlessly yet God does not nothing to stop pointless suffering and death.

God never helped me when I needed help for him and I think that my life would be a lot better if there really was a God.

So no I don't believe in God, I mean why should I? There is no evidence for his existence.

That's kind of a self-centered view of what a god is. If it doesn't help you, it doesn't exist?

#32 Edited by uninspiredcup (9662 posts) -

@pariah3 said:

Perhaps god expects you to get up off your own ass? The ultimate measure of a man and all that...

#33 Edited by pariah3 (1013 posts) -
@thegerg said:

That's kind of a self-centered view of what a god is. If it doesn't help you, it doesn't exist?

It's not self-centered at all. My definition of God is just different than yours. Everyone has a subjective definition of what a God is and what a God should do, depending of what suits everyone's needs.

Maybe God exists for you (subjectively) in your reality but that doesn't mean that God exists for me (in my reality)

That's why I believe in something called theological noncognitivism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_noncognitivism

#34 Posted by Gamerno6666 (2028 posts) -

Yes, I do.

#35 Posted by johnd13 (8459 posts) -

Yes I do.

#36 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3902 posts) -

i believe in a creator.

#37 Posted by Korvus (4714 posts) -

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'd like to ask the believers how much does God affect your life and the way you live it?

For example, for my mother it's mostly a form of resignation when things don't work as she wants. Everything is "God's will" so if she fails miserably at something it's because God was trying to teach her a lesson and make her stronger by throwing obstacles in her path. (Sadly it also has the side effect of making her completely blameless for whatever result, since God and not her did it...I'm sure this is just my mother though, and most people don't use it that way).

She also uses it as a matter of strength; saying things like "God willing" and "with the help of God" sometimes makes her feel like she has extra help with whatever is going on and prevents her from being overly concerned about problems.

Lastly, she's one of those selective Catholics...whatever parts of the Bible she likes she takes as Divine Word...the parts she disagrees with were "just things written by man...you can't take it literally".

#38 Edited by bforrester420 (1710 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

I believe in omnipotent God. Since most religions lack omnipotent God, I created my own religion.

Wait...what?

I don't believe in God, but I don't consider myself an atheist, either. I don't think there's a God but I'd be willing to change my mind were compelling evidence to surface.

Like George Carlin and the ancient Egyptians, I find it more appropriate to worship the Sun.

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm

#39 Posted by comp_atkins (31607 posts) -

@korvus said:

Not necessarily...I just don't care enough to make up my mind one way or another. I think the existence of a God makes zero difference in my life, so I'm not moved one way or another.

I'm pretty much in this boat as well.

#40 Edited by thegerg (15652 posts) -

@bforrester420: If you don't believe there is a god you're an atheist. That's what that word means.

#41 Posted by deeliman (2525 posts) -

@bforrester420 That's exactly how most atheists feel... welcome to the club

#42 Edited by indzman (18938 posts) -

@thegerg said:

No, but I don't believe there isn't a god.

#43 Posted by thegerg (15652 posts) -

@indzman: ?

#44 Posted by bforrester420 (1710 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@bforrester420: If you don't believe there is a god you're an atheist. That's what that word means.

Atheism is the belief there is no god. I don't believe there is a God, and I don't believe there is no God either. I'm agnostic.

• http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic?s=t
  • http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism?s=t
#45 Posted by Korvus (4714 posts) -

@bforrester420: Just drop it...we weren't able to make people understand it last time...it won't be any different now...

To me the concept of not believing in God and simultaneously not having the belief God doesn't exist is simple enough, but apparently not everyone agrees =)

#46 Posted by foxhound_fox (89427 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@thegerg said:

Atheism is the belief there is no god. I don't believe there is a God, and I don't believe there is no God either. I'm agnostic.

• http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic?s=t
  • http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism?s=t

Agnosticism is a statement of knowledge regarding a belief, not a belief in and of itself.

You would be defined as an agnostic atheist (which is what I am as well). You don't believe in a God, but you do not know whether this belief is true or not. If you stated you believed there was no God and were absolutely sure there wasn't one, you would be a gnostic atheist.

#47 Edited by Planeforger (15843 posts) -

No, I was never taught to believe in a god when I was a kid.

If I wanted to start now, which god should I start believing it? Thor seems pretty cool, but I've heard followers of Osiris get some sweet bonuses.

#48 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7653 posts) -

No, but I don't reject the idea that one might exist. If I receive evidence that I deem absolutely proves its existence, I'll change my mind because that improves my understanding of how the universe works.

#49 Edited by dave123321 (34201 posts) -

Nopers

#50 Posted by thegerg (15652 posts) -

@bforrester420: The word atheist literally means one is not a theist. It does not require any particular belief (like the belief there is no god), it simply requires the lack of a belief in a god. The fact that you are agnostic has nothing to do with whether or not you're an atheist, the two are not mutually exclusive.