Do You Agree With the Age of Consent in Your Country?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) 10 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Do You Agree With the Age of Consent in Your Country? (33 votes)

Yes, it's perfect where it is 52%
No, it should be lower 36%
No, it should be higher 12%

It's 16 here and I think that's the perfect age - not too young, not too old.

I find it ridiculous that Americans have to wait until they're 18 to legally consent to sex, and even more ridiculous that they have to be 21 just to legally consume alcohol (but that's for another topic).

So do you?

#1 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

Age of consent is like marijuana laws, they can be ignored provided you're not stupid about it.

#2 Posted by thegerg (14670 posts) -

FTY, the US doesn't have an age of consent. Not everywhere does someone have to wait until 18 to legally consent. Do a little research next time.

#3 Edited by ferrari2001 (16749 posts) -

I thought the United States laws of consent varied by state?

#4 Posted by roulettethedog (10946 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma:

The age is different in every state here in America. I think it should be 18.

#5 Posted by thegerg (14670 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma:

The age is different in every state here in America. I think it should be 18.

It's actually the same in many states.

#6 Posted by lostrib (33298 posts) -

I don't think you understand Age of Consent in America

#7 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

@lostrib: Isn't it 18 for the vast majority of American states?

#8 Posted by gamerguru100 (10457 posts) -

Age of consent should be 16. If you're old enough to get a damn driver's license, you're old enough to consent for sex.

#9 Posted by thegerg (14670 posts) -
#10 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

@thegerg: Oh well. The question still stands.

#11 Edited by lostrib (33298 posts) -

Age of consent should be 16. If you're old enough to get a damn driver's license, you're old enough to consent for sex.

Age of consent is 16 in 30 states

#12 Edited by Barbariser (6717 posts) -

Sixteen is reasonable for me.

#13 Edited by foxhound_fox (87369 posts) -

People will have sex when they want to have sex. I understand the argument about immaturity regarding those under a certain age while having sex with someone older than a certain age, and have a personal, emotional issue with the idea of my potential offspring (of either sex, not just girls) having sex with someone much older than them (>10 years) while still technically children (and the idea of them being preyed upon sexually)... but really, what does it amount to?

A 19 year-old male has sex with his 15 year-old girlfriend. In the eyes of the law where I live, this would be considered statutory rape and be punishable by criminal charges and imprisonment. In the US, the punishments are even more severe (and life-ruining, despite actual, literal consent being given). A 24 year-old male has sex with his 20 year-old girlfriend and it's perfectly legal.

Now, I reiterate, I recognize the importance of the maturity argument, but really, that same 15 year-old girl can legally choose to have sex with her 15, 16, 17, 14, 13, etc year-old boyfriend, and not involve the law at all. She has the right to choose to have sex with a fellow teenager, but not a legal adult? What sense does this make? To me, it makes none. It seems to presume that any man over the age of 18 is involving himself in a relationship with this girl solely for the purpose of taking advantage of her, or is preying upon her sexually.

The line drawing seems quite arbitrary, especially considering it varies between 13 and 18 years of age around the world. That is a MASSIVE difference in terms of sexual, mental and emotional maturity for both boys and girls.

"It feels like the right age" is not sufficient for a law.

#14 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

It's 16 in my state, and I think that's pedophilia. If you're 18+ and all you can get is high school/middle school girls you just suck at life.

#15 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

It's 16 in my state, and I think that's pedophilia. If you're 18+ and all you can get is high school/middle school girls you just suck at life.

16 year olds are not children.

Ephebophilia is a more fitting term.

#16 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29078 posts) -

I would agree with having the age of consent at 18.

#17 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Age doesn't automatically constitute being an "adult", hell I've seen grown women look like middle school children, and I've seen high school kids look like grown women.

When I label someone a pedophile I'm referring to their attractiveness to an underdeveloped individual; one with the body/physical characteristics of a child.

True talk- most 16 year olds are not physically developed as an adult.

#18 Posted by lightleggy (15887 posts) -

I understand that they needs laws about this, but it seriously baffles me how people even go as far as to call an 18 years old teenager a "pedophile" for having sex with a 16 years old girl.

Seriously, laws=/=culture. If the guy is 17 and the girl is 15, it's all good, if he is 18 and she is 16, the guy is a damn pedo.

I remember when I said in GS that I had seen a cute 15 years old girl, people would have hung me and thrown me in jail for being a "pedophile" if they could have...

#19 Edited by Stesilaus (3291 posts) -

"Age of Consent" laws constitute reprehensible discrimination against teleiophilic children. :(

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (87369 posts) -

When I label someone a pedophile I'm referring to their attractiveness to an underdeveloped individual; one with the body/physical characteristics of a child.

The law and psychology labels pedophilia as the sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. Hebephilia is the sexual attraction to peri-pubscent children. Ephebephilia is the sexual attraction to post-pubescent children.

There are many legal adults who do not fully develop physically until after the age of 18. And with girls starting their menstrual cycle as early as 8-9 and developing physically well before 18, your argument doesn't hold much water.

#22 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Age doesn't automatically constitute being an "adult", hell I've seen grown women look like middle school children, and I've seen high school kids look like grown women.

True talk- most 16 year olds are not physically developed as an adult.

Even so, pedophile is not the correct term. Pedophilia refers to attraction to prepubescent individuals.

Most 16 year olds are at least developed to look like they didn't just come off sucking mommy's titties.

And a lot of 16 year olds are very developed physically, some even more so than some adults.

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (87369 posts) -

And a lot of 16 year olds are very developed physically, some even more so than some adults.

I've noticed a lot recently, the average bust size among most high school girls has gone up significantly since I was in high school. Unless of course they've created new bra technology my generation doesn't know about.

#25 Edited by lostrib (33298 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

I've noticed a lot recently, the average bust size among most high school girls has gone up significantly since I was in high school. Unless of course they've created new bra technology my generation doesn't know about.

probably both.

#26 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3750 posts) -

If anything I think it should be higher.

Young people are simple shit at making decisions.

#27 Posted by bobaban (10544 posts) -

16 is great! I honestly would bang these girls if it I know no one would find out. While its perfectly legal being in your mid 20's is not accepted really.

#29 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Fightingfan said:

The law and psychology labels pedophilia as the sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. Hebephilia is the sexual attraction to peri-pubscent children. Ephebephilia is the sexual attraction to post-pubescent children.

There are many legal adults who do not fully develop physically until after the age of 18. And with girls starting their menstrual cycle as early as 8-9 and developing physically well before 18, your argument doesn't hold much water.

Women are only starting their menstrual cycle early this generation is due to obesity.

Women can't have a menstrual cycle if their bodyfat is substantially low. Those children aren't physically developed they're just manipulating their endocrine system because they're fat. They lose weight their menstrual cycle will almost completely go away.

Hell, males can breast feed at the age of 10 if they have gynocomastia - that doesn't make them a grown women.

*Oh and I used the word pedophile and child molester interchangeable in my head. Good thing we have the internet experts on the scene, haha :P

**I take back what I said about 10 year old boys; most American men can probably breast feed due to being obese or overweight, and their increase in progesterone from excess weight.

#32 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

It's 15 here and I'm ok with it. A little on the young side, but not enough to make it criminal offense to sleep with such girl.

#33 Edited by TAMKFan (32718 posts) -

The current age of consent (which is 18 here) seems pretty reasonable to me.

#34 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58066 posts) -

I think it's hard to create a set rule for this kind of thing. KIds of a similar age will do whatever they want regardless.

#35 Posted by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

Its 16 here in Pennsylvania, USA.

Thats perfect.....old enough to drive, old enough to dive

Its way too young for me personally (my age range is generally 27 - 42, with exceptions of course), but I have no problem with that being the age of consent.

I think its just right.

#36 Edited by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

Agreed. You beat me to it.

#37 Posted by Flubbbs (2908 posts) -

great post OP... outs all of the gamespot pedos and im sure theres many of them

#38 Posted by thegerg (14670 posts) -

@Fightingfan: "*Oh and I used the word pedophile and child molester interchangeable in my head."

Why? That makes no sense.

#39 Edited by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Pedophilia is an adult sexual interest in children under the age of 12.

Sexual interest in a 12 year old is not pedophilia, and 12 is not a child or a kid, 12 is the true beginning of being a teenager.

That being said 12 - 15 is too young for consent IMO and the 3 year rule should apply.

As I said before 16 is a perfect age to me for age of consent, just too young for my personal tastes.

If you are in your 20's and are chasing 14 and 15 year olds, even though thats not pedophilia (someone mentioned the term) you should seek professional help as there are likely issues there.

#40 Edited by Flubbbs (2908 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Sexual interest in a 12 year old is not pedophilia, and 12 is not a child or a kid, 12 is the true beginning of being a teenager.

That being said 12 - 15 is too young for consent IMO and the 3 year rule should apply.

As I said before 16 is a perfect age to me for age of consent, just too young for my personal tastes.

pedo confirmed.. mods can we get gamespot to come up with some kind of pedo badge to display for confirmed pervs?

#41 Posted by thegerg (14670 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

pedo confirmed.. mods can we get gamespot to come up with some kind of pedo badge to display for confirmed pervs?

How is he a pedophile?

#42 Posted by Flubbbs (2908 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

How is he a pedophile?

16 years old is still a kid.. mods can we also make pedo sympathizer badges too?

#43 Posted by thegerg (14670 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

@thegerg said:

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

How is he a pedophile?

16 years old is still a kid.. mods can we also make pedo sympathizer badges too?

What does that have to do with him being a pedophile? Please try to actually answer the question.

#44 Edited by AFBrat77 (24029 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Did you not see my post of the age range for me.......27 - 42?

pedophile? haha. You seem to be going McCarthy on us there guy.

Oh, and 16 is not a kid. 11 and under is a kid.

#45 Posted by lightleggy (15887 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

@thegerg said:

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

How is he a pedophile?

You see this girl?

She is a model named Fressy melendez (I put the name so that you can look her up and confirm that she is currently about 22 years old) , the first 2 pictures were taken when she was 16 years old (I knew the girl back then before she started her modeling career)

And the third pic is how she currently looks like (she is like 22 right now).

Now, be honest, if I wouldn't have told you that she was 16 in the first 2 pics, how old would you have thought she was?

If you had ran into the girl on the street wearing casual clothes, wouldn't have you found her hot?

Stop with that "every 16 years old person looks like a baby and finding them attractive means you're a pedo, derp." crap, if I had a penny for every gorgeous 16-17 girl I've ever seen, I'd be pretty damn rich.

Oh and before your bigoted mind tries to give me any shit: I'm 19 years old.

#46 Edited by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

16 makes sense I suppose, most people that age are old enough to know the ramifications assuming they were taught about it properly. Personally I'll stick with 19+, I remember dating when I was younger with younger girls and I really doubt the conversation subjects have improved over the years. Plus, at least around here, not being able to go to a bar or club kind of kills the number of things you can do.

#47 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

18 is good. Anyone less than 18 really has no idea what they are doing in most everything they do.

#48 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69754 posts) -

16 makes sense here

#49 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

I think the current age here (UK) is fine although raising it to thirty eight would be preferable.