Do you accept marriages between cousins ?

• 61 results
#1 Edited by indzman (16427 posts) -

ARTICLE

Cousin Marriages Today

Globally, cousin marriages are still going strong, with an estimated 10% of all marriages in the world being between cousins, and has high as 50% in some regions of the world. In addition to those countries mentioned above, the “overwhelming majority of cross-cousin marriages appear among the Islamic cultures of North Africa, and those of West and Central Asia.”

However, cousin marriage is making a comeback in the U.S., as well, as more and more studies continue to debunk the overblown risks once commonly touted.

Ummm i count marriages between cousins as incest ( Not acceptable) , while many Tycoon families accept it as normal since own blood gets to share the wealth and family secret.

Whats your opinion between marriages between cousins OT ?

#2 Posted by deeliman (2249 posts) -

As long as it's between 2 (or more, if you swing that way) consenting adults, then I see no problem besides the increased risk in birth defects.

#3 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

@deeliman said:

As long as it's between 2 (or more, if you swing that way) consenting adults, then I see no problem besides the increased risk in birth defects.

yeaaaaaa!!!

#4 Edited by themajormayor (25643 posts) -

GROSS!

#5 Posted by indzman (16427 posts) -

@deeliman said:

What about society ? Won't their office, freinds, family ridicule them often ?

#6 Posted by Korvus (2414 posts) -

Would I marry a cousin? Definitely not. Do I have a problem if you want to marry your cousin/sibling/parent/dog? You do whatever the hell you want =P

#7 Posted by tocool340 (20417 posts) -

I wouldn't care if someone wants to marry a baboons right ass cheek. If they're happy, its fine by me...

#8 Posted by indzman (16427 posts) -

@korvus said:

Would I marry a cousin? Definitely not. Do I have a problem if you want to marry your cousin/sibling/parent/dog? You do whatever the hell you want =P

If i want to marry someone elses cousin , no prob there also = P

#9 Posted by slipknot0129 (5484 posts) -

I'm ok with it. In my state you cant marry first cousins. 2nd cousins are pretty much strangers to me anyways.

#10 Posted by Korvus (2414 posts) -

@indzman: Sure man, I'm in a good mood today so you can even marry my cousin. I'll let him know you're interested =)

#11 Posted by indzman (16427 posts) -

@korvus said:

@indzman: Sure man, I'm in a good mood today so you can even marry my cousin. I'll let him know you're interested =)

LOL LOL LOL !!!

#12 Posted by deeliman (2249 posts) -

@indzman Well that might happen, yes. That's no reason to outlaw it, though.

#13 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16473 posts) -

No different than a man marrying another man or a woman another woman or a man and a horse, dog, cow, pig, wtf ever. Why stop at fighting for gay marriage?

#14 Posted by Storm_Marine (10766 posts) -

The number of genetic disorders out there is bad enough as it is. I don't know why we need to intentionally increase it.

#15 Posted by lostrib (31658 posts) -

No different than a man marrying another man or a woman another woman or a man and a horse, dog, cow, pig, wtf ever. Why stop at fighting for gay marriage?

well animals can't consent...

#16 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

What do you mean, do I "accept" it? It's none of my business.

#17 Posted by TheFlush (5413 posts) -

Yes I do, I might think it's a little weird, but it's none of my business. If they both can give consent, it's okay by me.

#18 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

Never understood what's supposedly so repulsive and abhorring about cousins getting married. It sounds perfectly normal to me. I wouldn't do it though, I don't think much of all my relatives and I would much prefer if I managed in the future to never know them at all.

#19 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

I'm ok with it. In my state you cant marry first cousins. 2nd cousins are pretty much strangers to me anyways.

So there are places that actually outlaw marrying one's cousin? How ironic.

#20 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20799 posts) -

Indzman....do whateva you gotta do. Just do it fast.

#21 Edited by indzman (16427 posts) -

Indzman....do whateva you gotta do. Just do it fast.

#22 Posted by Korvus (2414 posts) -

@indzman: That guy's parents were definitely cousins =P

#23 Posted by indzman (16427 posts) -

HeHe

#24 Edited by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

This will bring the IQ level of the religious to a new level. Nothing like a little inbreeding to bring out those religious homicidal fanatic tendencies.

#25 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17314 posts) -

The number of genetic disorders out there is bad enough as it is. I don't know why we need to intentionally increase it.

IIRC there's enough genetic diversity between first cousins where genetic disorders aren't much of a problem

With that said, still think it's pretty weird, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

#26 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10041 posts) -

yeah, keep everything in the family.

#27 Edited by Storm_Marine (10766 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@Storm_Marine said:

IIRC there's enough genetic diversity between first cousins where genetic disorders aren't much of a problem

With that said, still think it's pretty weird, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Are you sure? I believe BBC says that a third of genetic disorders in the United Kingdom is in the Pakistani-British population where cousin marrying is common.

#28 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17314 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Are you sure? I believe BBC says that a third of genetic disorders in the United Kingdom is in the Pakistani-British population where cousin marrying is common.

Yeah well if it's family tradition to marry your cousin then you're gonna probably have some genetically inferior offspring. Just look at the royal family

#29 Edited by Master_Live (13622 posts) -

Two consenting adults marrying each other? Who cares whether I accept it or not.

#30 Posted by Boddicker (2273 posts) -

As long as they're atleast a few degrees of removal. I come from a small town where everybody is related in some way.

Case in point: I once had a crush on my next door neighbor but our grandpas were first cousins. If shit did progress I figured it would be too confusing when the wedding came up and they had to pick a side to sit on lol

#31 Edited by lamprey263 (22438 posts) -

Well, I accept that they get married as in I recognize it as a marriage. If I were to get hired for wedding photography or to bake their wedding cake I'm not going to refuse service. I don't feel upset by it, I recognize the social stigma but that's for them to live through.

Anyhow, marrying cousins, good enough for the Queen of England, and she's a celebrated figure.

#32 Posted by Dogswithguns (10670 posts) -

What's the point?!.. why?!.. it's just retarded.

#33 Edited by AutoPilotOn (7940 posts) -

If it's two adults who it want what does matter? If it's pretty much consider hate speech to be against gay marriage why is it ok to be against cousins or any family member for that matter?

#34 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25778 posts) -

It shouldn't matter although having a baby is another story I think. They should be aware of the possible effects. Just like if you have a genetic disorder you have to decide whether or not it is best to have a kid.

#35 Edited by RadecSupreme (4605 posts) -

It's fine. Honestly who gives a shit? Personally I am not attracted to any of my cousins, but if someone else is then who cares? Also a lot of people in this thread are ignorant as hell. Sexual reproduction between 1st cousins does not increase chances of birth defects. Sexual relations between immediate family members does. As a matter of fact, a woman pregnant after age of 35 has higher chances of giving birth to a child with birth defects than an incestual couple. Just pointing out the facts that people are so afraid to bring up.

#36 Posted by Sword-Demon (6871 posts) -

As long as they're both consenting adults and they're not hurting anyone else, let them do whatever they want.

#37 Edited by XilePrincess (13102 posts) -

I don't care what other people do. As long as it's not forced and they're both adults, who cares? Yeah there is the risk for birth defects if they reproduce but if your kid ends up handicapped because of your inbreeding, you're the one who suffers.

#38 Posted by Ryagan (484 posts) -

What two consenting adults do in the bedroom is none of my business, nor do I want to hear about it.

#39 Posted by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

Plenty of other women/men out there. Why would you take the chance of having a baby with a deformity? So I say no.

If they not going to have kids then all the power to them.

Reminded me of The Wolf of Wall Street lol

#40 Posted by GordanChoong (210 posts) -

@indzman said:

ARTICLE

Cousin Marriages Today

Globally, cousin marriages are still going strong, with an estimated 10% of all marriages in the world being between cousins, and has high as 50% in some regions of the world. In addition to those countries mentioned above, the “overwhelming majority of cross-cousin marriages appear among the Islamic cultures of North Africa, and those of West and Central Asia.”

However, cousin marriage is making a comeback in the U.S., as well, as more and more studies continue to debunk the overblown risks once commonly touted.

Ummm i count marriages between cousins as incest ( Not acceptable) , while many Tycoon families accept it as normal since own blood gets to share the wealth and family secret.

Whats your opinion between marriages between cousins OT ?

I think that cousin marriage is okay as long as they aren't closely related (like only related through a great-aunt or step relative as an example) and that they aren't alike in terms of looks. Because if they did look alike and were very related, imagina the endless horrifying possibilities.

#41 Edited by GordanChoong (210 posts) -

@korvus said:

So not only do you support beastality, you are also a girl supporting lesbian. Nice! Only for the lesbo part though!

#42 Edited by hippiesanta (9733 posts) -

It's common for muslims and chinese marry among cousins ......

good example

king joffrey

#43 Posted by mjorh (612 posts) -

It's just stupid...

It's common for muslims and chinese marry among cousins ......

good example

king joffrey

For muslims actually they've been recommended by their prophet to not to get married with relatives whatsoever , because it reduces population growth and u end up with the same relatives u had....so it doesn't make any sense!

#44 Posted by joehult (356 posts) -

Marriage became a farce when the divorce rate exceeded 50%. Marry your dog, or your car, it simply doesn't matter any more.

I'd rather we abolish marriage all together. It would free up the courts, and save everyone money, since fewer people are needed to fill/file forms, lawyers will lose work, and the irs no longer has to deal with joint filings.

#45 Posted by Korvus (2414 posts) -

So not only do you support beastality, you are also a girl supporting lesbian. Nice! Only for the lesbo part though!

Is that the sound you make when you're talking out of your ass? XD First, "not being against" does not mean "supporting", second the "you can marry your dog" was an hyperbole, meaning "no f*cks were given regardless of what you do with your life". I will never support anything when one or more of the parties involved cannot give consent.

And what the hell is that talk about lesbians? I'm a guy =P

#46 Posted by TheFlush (5413 posts) -

It shouldn't matter although having a baby is another story I think. They should be aware of the possible effects. Just like if you have a genetic disorder you have to decide whether or not it is best to have a kid.

True, but having children is another issue. You don't have to get married to have a baby with your cousin.

#47 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36702 posts) -

@deeliman said:

Bingo
Marriage all g
No kids allowed

#48 Edited by MDK12345 (299 posts) -

I guess I can't stop it, but I don't like it. Why would I want to like my cousin? Maybe if you knew a girl so long and then discovered she was a distant cousin, maybe. But I have friends that brag about how they lost their virginity to their cousins and half sisters and I really jump back when I hear stuff like that. I just keep things normal, I don't go for cousins and shit.

#49 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2140 posts) -

couldn't care less

besides we are all distant cousins(very very distant in some cases)

#50 Posted by thegerg (14408 posts) -