Do You Accept Jesus's Gift Of Salvation, Believing That He Died On The Cross And Rose Again For Your SIns?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frodobaggin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do You Accept Jesus's Gift Of Salvation, Believing That He Died On The Cross And Rose Again For Your SIns? (94 votes)

YES 33%
NO 74%

ARE YOU 100% SURE THAT IF YOU DIED TODAY THAT YOU WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?

There are some things that you should know:

1. Realize that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior:

Ro 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Ro 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"

This all began with the story of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. God created them perfect, there was no death or sorrow. God told them not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They disobeyed God and as a result, sin entered into the world. The pain which this world sees is the result of sin.

2. Because of our sins, we die both spiritually and physically, but God sent His Son to die so that you can have a chance not to have to go to hell by accepting what He did on the cross for you:

Ro 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Ro 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. for us."

Every person who has ever lived is a sinner and is not righteous because we do bad things. A sin is a crime against God, just as if you steal something at the store, it is punishable by going to jail. It's the same thing with sin. Even if we lie one time, the punishment is hell, which is a prison for those who commit crimes against God. That’s because you must be perfect in order to get to heaven. No matter how well you live your life from then on, you have already committed a sin which will be punished if you are not pardoned. If you commit a crime, and then live as a good citizen you still will go to jail for the crime you committed. Right? Just as the president can pardon a crime so you won't go to jail, Jesus can pardon your sins so that you do not go to hell, and can go to heaven when you die.

3. If you will Admit to Jesus Christ that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior, Believe in your heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead and Accept Him as your Lord and Savior and you will be forgiven and taken to heaven to be with Him when you die.

Joh 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name”

Ro 10:9,10 "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.."

You cannot get to heaven by being a good person, going to church, baptism or any other way other than by turning to Jesus, believing in your heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead for your sins and placing your trust in Him. While these are good things to do, some people believe that they will get to heaven if they do these things, but the bible says that there is only one way to heaven and that is through receiving what Jesus Christ did on the cross for you.

Will you do that today? If you will, you can be 100% sure that you will go to heaven when you die.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR YOUR SINS?

ARE YOU WILLING TO TURN TO JESUS CHRIST FOR SALVATION?

4. If you are willing to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and believe it with all of your heart, you could pray something like this to God from your heart:

"Dear Lord Jesus, I believe that You died on the Cross and Rose from the dead for my sins. I ask you to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins, save me, take me to be with You when I die. I now receive You as my Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus holy name, Amen."

If you have placed your faith in Jesus Christ and meant it with all of your heart, you are now a child of God and will go to heaven.

Now that you are on your way to heaven, you should attend a bible believing church and follow in baptism.

• 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#51 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

You mean automobiles I assume.

Or anything that is termed a year newer than it's manufacture date. :P

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

He very well may have died for our sins, and I am willing to believe this. I am not willing to believe that the only way to "heaven" is through him, that is utter bullshit. We are ALL going to the same place when we die, regardless of our beliefs and/or actions. This i have faith in, the church and religion is what I have zero faith in.

Heaven is not a place, it's a state of being.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you see him rise everyday around 6 a.m..

you will see him "coming in the clouds" and he is the "light of the world".

jesus people, how many clues do you need?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Yes I do believe in God/Jesus, but for the purposes of this thread I'm going to post this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Sorry TC, didn`t read any of that. I already got my dose of fantasy, thanks.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Yes I do believe in God/Jesus, but for the purposes of this thread I'm going to post this.

lol

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Master_Live

Ummmm, do quotes now automatically cut out images? That sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Any deity who would condemn me for failing to kiss his ass instead of commending me for a life well lived is not one I wish to follow.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

jesus didnt die for our sins. what sense does it make that a man would die for the crimes committed by others.

anyways everyone goes to heaven no matter what kind of life they lived.

i will say this thought the energy that you put out is the same energy that you will receive so think about that the next time you decide to do anything.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#60 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

Any religion that simply requires a simple acknowledgement of belief rather than real action, good works and genuine change to gain salvation is not a religion worth following. If it doesn't require you to actually change your life and the way you enhance the world around you then what is the point? Evangelical protestantism is one of the most worthless beliefs systems there is. "I believe, now time to do whatever I want without worrying about how I effect other people." Great way to live there.

yeaaaah...it totally doesnt works like that. If you're gonna hate on something, you should try to understand it first.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Any religion that simply requires a simple acknowledgement of belief rather than real action, good works and genuine change to gain salvation is not a religion worth following. If it doesn't require you to actually change your life and the way you enhance the world around you then what is the point? Evangelical protestantism is one of the most worthless beliefs systems there is. "I believe, now time to do whatever I want without worrying about how I effect other people." Great way to live there.

yeaaaah...it totally doesnt works like that. If you're gonna hate on something, you should try to understand it first.

You'd be surprised at how many actually think and act upon that very idea.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Master_Live

Bunch of atheists in OT.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By lightleggy

@ribstaylor1 said:

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

You'd be surprised at how many actually think and act upon that very idea.

I know, it doesn't stops being stupid though.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ribstaylor1

@Riverwolf007: Ya most don't notice the similarities with literally 100's of religions that worshiped some form of the sun to their own religion. Christianity is just one of many that follows the same exact stories and parables as those before it just in a different language with different names and place.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@farrell2k: Ya ghosts are another one that I don't understand. Maybe it's because I've delved into the psychedelic world a bit so my perception of the way things are has changed considerably. And ghosts just don't make any damn sense. Ya we can tell the chemical composition of the surface of a planet light years away but we don't have the tech to find evidence of ghosts. People I feel just believe what they've grown up knowing. To most it doesn't even accrue to them to think it through rationally.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lightleggy

@farrell2k said:

Jesus died on the cross for MY sins?

First, I wasnt even born yet, so none of those supposed "sins" were mine.

Second, he died? He's an all-powerful, magical god being. How could he possibly die?

Which leads me to another question, what did he really sacrifice for me? How does an allpowerful being sacrifice anything?

This entire thing is absurd.

The idea is that Jesus died for the sins of everyone who was alive and who'd be alive, you included.

Jesus is not God, Jesus is the son of God. And that was just his incarnation, Jesus' soul never died.

Again, it was Jesus incarnation the one which was crucified.

Really I understand that Christianity might not be everybody's cup of tea, but people like you don't even remotely try to understand extremely basic principles before bashing it.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

No, as I am an atheist

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 foxhound_fox

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

Second, he died? He's an all-powerful, magical god being. How could he possibly die?

Which leads me to another question, what did he really sacrifice for me? How does an allpowerful being sacrifice anything?

Jesus is not God, Jesus is the son of God. And that was just his incarnation, Jesus' soul never died.

Jesus is both God and the son of God. This is exegetical fact in practically every denomination of Christianity. Particular groups have different ways of interpreting it.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

The idea is that Jesus died for the sins of everyone who was alive and who'd be alive, you included.

Really I understand that Christianity might not be everybody's cup of tea, but people like you don't even remotely try to understand extremely basic principlesbefore bashing it.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

True or not true: evangelical Christians believe that a monster, a murderer, an inmate on death row, if in his dying moments truly in his heart accepts Jesus and renounces sin, then that freak goes to heaven.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lightleggy

@farrell2k said:

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

Really I understand that Christianity might not be everybody's cup of tea, but people like you don't even remotely try to understand extremely basic principles before bashing it.

lol. You magic believers do an insane amount of mental gymnastics to justify your goofy beliefs.

The sins of everyone who would be alive? The idea of original sin is absurd. Why would an all-knowing God punish someone for the sins of someone else? It's not like this "God" didn't know it was going to happen all along. This "God" is all-knowing, isn't he? Would you punish your son for the transgressions of your daughter, especially when you knew it was going to happen all along? Nope. The whole thing is asinine.

Many "Christians" disagree with you and claim that Jesus was his father incarnate. This is the problem with Christianity; none of you can even agree upon what your "God" even is.

How can I understand any of it, when you Christians cannot even define it?

All I know is that because magic is not real, beings who wield magic are equally not real.

Christianity is not only ridiculous and logically inconsistent, but also an obvious fraud.

If any of it is even one bit true, your "God" is petty, immoral, and a complete monster not one bit deserving of adoration or devotion. It makes you wonder why an all-knowing, all-powerful God needs your devotion and affirmation of itself so much.

Ridiculous. Absurd. Stupid.

The concept of original sin simply states that because of Adam's transgression, humans are prone to sinning.

I don't know why you'd find "the sins of everyone who'd be alive" to be "absurd". It's simply an "Insurance", it's not guaranteed that you'll sin in X way. What I find absurd is that atheists somehow believe that God whispers directly to every Christian out there and so every single Christian knows God's will or even the way he operates. I don't know, I'm talking about what I believe. Since I believe God to be an all-knowing being then I believe that we have several paths to take, each with its set of consequences, and that's the concept of free will for me.

I have not ever, in my entire life heard any Christian claiming that Jesus was God incarnate. the term used is "The Son incarnate", which is different.

Dear Lord...you're like a walking cliche bag of militant atheism...

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

Jesus is both God and the son of God. This is exegetical fact in practically every denomination of Christianity. Particular groups have different ways of interpreting it.

Jesus is The Son, member of the trinity, the trinity is God (and yes I'm aware of the origin of the concept of the Trinity) You can't say that Jesus is God because Jesus is not the Father and the Holy Spirit.

@dsmccracken said:

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

True or not true: evangelical Christians believe that a monster, a murderer, an inmate on death row, if in his dying moments truly in his heart accepts Jesus and renounces sin, then that freak goes to heaven.

Yes, that is the concept of redemption. Nobody denied that. @ferrari2001 though said that one can just say "OK I believe in Jesus, it's now time to kill and do anything I want!" And that's obviously not how it works, if you say you accept Jesus then you should start behaving like Him, saying you love and accept Jesus as a way to cover your ass while you go on a killing spree is obviously not going to help you. Amazing how many atheists dont understand that basic concept.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

lol. You magic believers do an insane amount of mental gymnastics to justify your goofy beliefs.

The sins of everyone who would be alive? The idea of original sin is absurd. Why would an all-knowing God punish someone for the sins of someone else? It's not like this "God" didn't know it was going to happen all along. This "God" is all-knowing, isn't he? Would you punish your son for the transgressions of your daughter, especially when you knew it was going to happen all along? Nope. The whole thing is asinine.

Many "Christians" disagree with you and claim that Jesus was his father incarnate. This is the problem with Christianity; none of you can even agree upon what your "God" even is.

How can I understand any of it, when you Christians cannot even define it?

All I know is that because magic is not real, beings who wield magic are equally not real.

Christianity is not only ridiculous and logically inconsistent, but also an obvious fraud.

If any of it is even one bit true, your "God" is petty, immoral, and a complete monster not one bit deserving of adoration or devotion. It makes you wonder why an all-knowing, all-powerful God needs your devotion and affirmation of itself so much.

Ridiculous. Absurd. Stupid.

The concept of original sin simply states that because of Adam's transgression, humans are prone to sinning.

I don't know why you'd find "the sins of everyone who'd be alive" to be "absurd". It's simply an "Insurance", it's not guaranteed that you'll sin in X way. What I find absurd is that atheists somehow believe that God whispers directly to every Christian out there and so every single Christian knows God's will or even the way he operates. I don't know, I'm talking about what I believe. Since I believe God to be an all-knowing being then I believe that we have several paths to take, each with its set of consequences, and that's the concept of free will for me.

I have not ever, in my entire life heard any Christian claiming that Jesus was God incarnate. the term used is "The Son incarnate", which is different.

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

Jesus is The Son, member of the trinity, the trinity is God (and yes I'm aware of the origin of the concept of the Trinity) You can't say that Jesus is God because Jesus is not the Father and the Holy Spirit.

@dsmccracken said:

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Yes, that is the concept of redemption. Nobody denied that. @ferrari2001 though said that one can just say "OK I believe in Jesus, it's now time to kill and do anything I want!" And that's obviously not how it works, if you say you accept Jesus then you should start behaving like Him, saying you love and accept Jesus as a way to cover your ass while you go on a killing spree is obviously not going to help you. Amazing how many atheists dont understand that basic concept.

My point being, in the hypothetical, that murderer now has not really started behaving like Jesus, gets the chair, and goes to heaven anyway. So belief is placed over action. Not in my book.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 foxhound_fox

@lightleggy said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I know you are trying to say this right, but philosophically, Jesus is God. You even said it yourself.

Jesus = Son = Trinity = God

To an outsider looking in, the concept of the Trinity is entirely fucked up. Jesus is the Son of God, but he is also God due to being a member of the Trinity, which in turn differentiates them as separate beings despite being of the same source. To someone versed in any level of philosophical understanding, this makes no sense.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Lol, no. I'm actually a sane person.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By lightleggy

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I know you are trying to say this right, but philosophically, Jesus is God. You even said it yourself.

Jesus = Son = Trinity = God

To an outsider looking in, the concept of the Trinity is entirely fucked up. Jesus is the Son of God, but he is also God due to being a member of the Trinity, which in turn differentiates them as separate beings despite being of the same source. To someone versed in any level of philosophical understanding, this makes no sense.

But you're ignoring the fact that the trinity is one God, not 3 divided gods, so the son does not equals God. I understand that this concept is one heck of a spaghetti though.

My point being, in the hypothetical, that murderer now has not really started behaving like Jesus, gets the chair, and goes to heaven anyway. So belief is placed over action. Not in my book.

Not everyone's cup of tea.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 foxhound_fox

@lightleggy said:

But you're ignoring the fact that the trinity is one God, not 3 divided gods, so the son does not equals God. I understand that this concept is one heck of a spaghetti though.

Your conclusion is flawed. You say the Trinity is "one God, not 3 divided" but the "son does not equal God". Its a complete contradiction in terms. If the Trinity is "one God" then Jesus (the Son), God (the Father) and the Holy Spirit are all God. If Jesus is not God, then the Trinity is three separate beings, or "three divided".

It's a logic trap that I cannot for the life of me understand how people can reconcile.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By lightleggy

@farrell2k said:

@lightleggy said:

Believing in magic and magical beings is absurd. If you cannot see that, then you have a fundamental disconnect with reality.

OK, Mr Euphoria, that's good for me.

Dont know why you're bothered with it though.

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

Your conclusion is flawed. You say the Trinity is "one God, not 3 divided" but the "son does not equal God". Its a complete contradiction in terms. If the Trinity is "one God" then Jesus (the Son), God (the Father) and the Holy Spirit are all God. If Jesus is not God, then the Trinity is three separate beings, or "three divided".

It's a logic trap that I cannot for the life of me understand how people can reconcile.

The sum of 5, 4 and 1 equals 10. Yet you don't go around saying that 5 = 10 because a sum can give that result. Maybe it's my language barrier, but I just dont see where the contradiction is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@lightleggy said:

The sum of 5, 4 and 1 equals 10. Yet you don't go around saying that 5 = 10 because a sum can give that result. Maybe it's my language barrier, but I just dont see where the contradiction is.

But you wouldn't say that the sum of 5, 4 and 1 is made up of only one number. They are three different numbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#84 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Since this thread is still active I'd like to politely ask Christians if they could explain the whole "Jesus died for my sins" thing...it's been forever since I've read the Bible and I wasn't exactly taking notes so I'm kind of fuzzy on the reasons. Jesus dying on the cross didn't stop people from sinning or being punished for those sins in the afterlife, so what did it accomplish?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 foxhound_fox

@lightleggy said:

You are trying so hard. I can see the gears turning in your head from here.

It's not a language barrier, it's a logic barrier. You've learned this "truth" that the Trinity is not three separate things, but God and Jesus are not the same (i.e. Jesus is not God in your words). To most Christians, they don't try to make this leap. They just accept that Jesus and God are the same thing (God) and the Trinity is not three separate beings, but one defined three different ways.

You are making an incorrect assertion that most Christians don't agree with. Jesus is both God and the Son of God. It's the power of faith that gives them the means to understand this logical conundrum. To someone outside of the belief system, looking in, it appears to be a complete mess of a conclusion. How could the Trinity be one being if it is defined in three separate ways?

As for your example, as as toast has already pointed out, 5, 4 and 1 are separate numbers that are defined all different ways. I really hope you didn't learn this explanation from your religious authority, because it only does bad things to your conclusion (that Jesus is not God).

I am an outsider looking in, and I've personally seen many Christians here say that Jesus is God and is the Son of God. It doesn't make sense but that's what they believe. At least their conclusion is sound in that they define the Trinity as one "thing" and that all aspects of it are the same thing in different forms. You stated that Jesus is not God but his Son. If that's not what you meant to say then it was an error and we will move on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@lightleggy: I can't even conceive how you can convince yourself that such a being exists. If he's all-knowing, then why doesn't he just stop people from killing each other? Why didn't God stop the holocaust? I thought he was "all-good"? Christians believe that god is all-knowing, all-good, and all-powerful. Is that right? Because an all-powerful being is illogical and does not make any sense.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#87  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Under TC's theology it most certainly does work like that. In fact many evangelical Christians hold the illogical viewpoint that upon accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior and being baptized you are saved and will go to heaven. If you happen to do despicable works after that moment it doesn't matter because you've been saved. At the time of professing faith you may genuinely change your life around and following in the footsteps of Christ. But what happens if a year down the road you begin to ignore his teachings and do whatever you want? You've been saved so those actions do not matter when it comes to your salvation. Human works in this particular theology play no role in salvation. If however those evil works do play a role, then you weren't really saved and the professing Christ as your Lord and savior actually played no role in your salvation. Remember there are 30,000 protestant denominations all with slightly different belief systems. Your particular theology may not be the same theology that TC professes, and it isn't the theology I believe. Living a good life is what is important, not necessarily what you profess.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lightleggy

@farrell2k said:

@lightleggy said:

@farrell2k said:

@lightleggy said:

Believing in magic and magical beings is absurd. If you cannot see that, then you have a fundamental disconnect with reality.

OK, Mr Euphoria, that's good for me.

Dont know why you're bothered with it though.

It's nothing personal, but when magic believers in my country are allowed to vote, their childish, irrational beliefs inevitably infect government and public policy, which ultimately leads to representatives who say stupid things like "evolution is a lie from the pit of hell" and support religious based laws that have negative affects on those who do not accept their silly beliefs. Gay rights is one example. Denial of global warming is another. Teaching "creationism" in science class instead of real science is an example. A woman's right to choose is another example. Or the governor of Texas "praying for rain" instead of following the advice of scientists and conserving water. Religion infects everything. Belief in magical beings is irrational and harmful to society. There is no room for irrationality when it affects so many people. Religionists should not be allowed to vote.

So uhm you want to do the same thing those bible thumpers are doing (I'd just like to say that I believe in evolution, and the standard cosmological model or whatever its name is in english), taking away their rights to do anything simply because they believe in a deity?.

Not every Christian is the same, I don't go around shouting "gay man should hang they should not have rights!!!" (And I think its despicable that the same people who say stuff like that usually go around sinning in every chance they get, sometimes they even go as far as watching lesbian porn, so homosexuality is wrong unless you get a boner from it). I also think it's a huge problem when religious zealots get in political positions, but thats how the system works, sucks I know, but cant do anything about it because it would just lead to a different problem.

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

It's not a language barrier, it's a logic barrier. You've learned this "truth" that the Trinity is not three separate things, but God and Jesus are not the same (i.e. Jesus is not God in your words). To most Christians, they don't try to make this leap. They just accept that Jesus and God are the same thing (God) and the Trinity is not three separate beings, but one defined three different ways.

You are making an incorrect assertion that most Christians don't agree with. Jesus is both God and the Son of God. It's the power of faith that gives them the means to understand this logical conundrum. To someone outside of the belief system, looking in, it appears to be a complete mess of a conclusion. How could the Trinity be one being if it is defined in three separate ways?

As for your example, as as toast has already pointed out, 5, 4 and 1 are separate numbers that are defined all different ways. I really hope you didn't learn this explanation from your religious authority, because it only does bad things to your conclusion (that Jesus is not God).

I am an outsider looking in, and I've personally seen many Christians here say that Jesus is God and is the Son of God. It doesn't make sense but that's what they believe. At least their conclusion is sound in that they define the Trinity as one "thing" and that all aspects of it are the same thing in different forms. You stated that Jesus is not God but his Son. If that's not what you meant to say then it was an error and we will move on.

Yeah okay bud I'm not smart enough for you, please dont lose your time arguing with a silly guy like me.

@XVision84 said:

@lightleggy: I can't even conceive how you can convince yourself that such a being exists. If he's all-knowing, then why doesn't he just stop people from killing each other? Why didn't God stop the holocaust? I thought he was "all-good"? Christians believe that god is all-knowing, all-good, and all-powerful. Is that right? Because an all-powerful being is illogical and does not make any sense.

Bro, i'm not JRR Tolkien explaining how middle earth works. I dont know why God rolls the way he rolls, I cant answer any of those questions, no idea why you think otherwise.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

You're all faggots that are going to hell

I've already accepted this and my life is like 100x better

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lightleggy

@korvus said:

Since this thread is still active I'd like to politely ask Christians if they could explain the whole "Jesus died for my sins" thing...it's been forever since I've read the Bible and I wasn't exactly taking notes so I'm kind of fuzzy on the reasons. Jesus dying on the cross didn't stop people from sinning or being punished for those sins in the afterlife, so what did it accomplish?

Before the crucifixion of Christ, a person had to make a holocaust to be forgiven. Jesus washed aways the sins of mankind (but that wouldnt stop it from getting dirty again of course, it's a person choice to sin again or not)

After Jesus died and resurrected, He left the gifts of the Holy Spirit (and His presence included), so we could all be saved by grace and faith, rather than having to present a holocaust (Since Jesus is often called "The lamb", its meant to be an analogy with how a lamb would be sacrificed at the holocaust.

@ferrari2001 said:

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Under TC's theology it most certainly does work like that. In fact many evangelical Christians hold the illogical viewpoint that upon accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior and being baptized you are saved and will go to heaven. If you happen to do despicable works after that moment it doesn't matter because you've been saved. At the time of professing faith you may genuinely change your life around and following in the footsteps of Christ. But what happens if a year down the road you begin to ignore his teachings and do whatever you want? You've been saved so those actions do not matter when it comes to your salvation. Human works in this particular theology play no role in salvation. If however those evil works do play a role, then you weren't really saved and the professing Christ as your Lord and savior actually played no role in your salvation. Remember there are 30,000 protestant denominations all with slightly different belief systems. Your particular theology may not be the same theology that TC professes, and it isn't the theology I believe. Living a good life is what is important, not necessarily what you profess.

I'm sorry but you got it completely wrong, please state which Christian denomination thinks that after being baptized, a person is allowed to do absolutely anything and have no consequence and still be granted passage to heaven? None, maybe an obscure sect says that, but no major denomination does. Baptizing cleanses your spirit, you're supposed to be "born again", all your PAST sins are forgiven, but it's not a permanent "get to heaven!" card. If what you say was true, then you'd NEVER see any Christian church saying anything like "Dont sin guys, dont have sex before marriage, dont be in homosexual relationships, dont cheat on your partner". It would just be something along the lines of "So guys, you want to remain abstitent till marriage...OR WOULD YOU JUST LIKE TO BE BAPTIZED AND ATTEND A 30 PEOPLE ORGY AFTERWARDS???!!! BECAUSE AFTER BEING BAPTIZED YOU ARE 100% GUARANTEED TO GET TO HEAVEN".

I'm not sure if this is in the bible or not, but this was explained to me in this simple way: The act of baptism writes your name down in the book of life, but it is not permanent ink, it can be errased if you just throw away everything and decide to return to your old ways.

If you're being serious about thinking thats how it works, I feel really bad for you, thats being wrong on a completely different level.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ferrari2001

@lightleggy Let me ask you this.. Can an Atheist go to heaven without ever having professed Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior? Can a Muslim? A Jew? A Buddhist?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By lightleggy
@farrell2k said:

@lightleggy said:

So uhm you want to do the same thing those bible thumpers are doing (I'd just like to say that I believe in evolution, and the standard cosmological model or whatever its name is in english), taking away their rights to do anything simply because they believe in a deity?.

Not every Christian is the same, I don't go around shouting "gay man should hang they should not have rights!!!" (And I think its despicable that the same people who say stuff like that usually go around sinning in every chance they get, sometimes they even go as far as watching lesbian porn, so homosexuality is wrong unless you get a boner from it). I also think it's a huge problem when religious zealots get in political positions, but thats how the system works, sucks I know, but cant do anything about it because it would just lead to a different problem.

Yes, anyone who truly believes in magic has clearly demonstrated that they cannot be trusted to make rational decisions, especially decisions that affect others. This isn't unprecedented, either. Not everyone was always allowed to vote in this country.

Every Christian is the same in that they literally believe in magic. Don't worry. I know that most Christians aren't really Christians, anyway. Most of you have clearly never actually read your bibles, and likely just claim that you believe either because you were conditioned that way since childhood, or "just in case", quite possibly both, however, so there is hope for the country yet.

Thats Georges Lemaitre, a man who "believed in magic" (he was a priest in fact). And also the man who first came up with the big bang theory, you know, the entire foundation of the cosmological model?.

And this is Gregor Mendel, AKA father of genetics.Also a frair.

So these 2 men, who "believed in magic", are also responsible for 2 of the most complicated scientific fields out there.

Are you saying that their words are not to be trusted because of their beliefs? Since you just said that a person who believes in magic should not be trusted to take any rational decision. And both genetics and astronomy seem pretty rational to me.

I've read the bible btw, though I agree many have not.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lightleggy

@ferrari2001 said:

@lightleggy Let me ask you this.. Can an Atheist go to heaven without ever having professed Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior? Can a Muslim? A Jew? A Buddhist?

For the last time: I am not God, I do not know how God thinks, I dont know why every atheist has the idea that every Christian knows absolutely everything about how God thinks and acts. As if they were just asking questions about the star trek universe to the guy who created star trek.

If you ask ME for my personal opinion: I'd say that I believe God would make a judgement based on their lifedeeds. But that is MY OPINION, not anything factual. Jesus did said that He was the only way to reach heaven though.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ferrari2001

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

For the last time: I am not God, I do not know how God thinks, I dont know why every atheist has the idea that every Christian knows absolutely everything about how God thinks and acts. As if they were just asking questions about the star trek universe to the guy who created star trek.

If you ask ME for my personal opinion: I'd say that I believe God would make a judgement based on their lifedeeds. But that is MY OPINION, not anything factual. Jesus did said that He was the only way to reach heaven though.

btw I'm not an atheist, just playing devils advocate. And I absolutely agree with you. It's not your profession in Jesus Christ that matters but how you act and what you do.

As for my other post, I'm just projecting the normal American Christian attitude towards religion. Most of them want a religion in which they can be "saved" but at the same time live their lives how they see fit. Hardcore Baptists and Pentecostals in particular live by the saved by faith alone mentality, which removes works totally from the picture. The Topic Creator in particular gave the impression that works were meaningless and that was who I was responding to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@lightleggy: So you don't understand why God does what he does. You just assume he's the one doing it and you assume he's all-good, all-powerful, all-knowing. That doesn't seem like a very good reason to believe something exists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

So you firmly believe in a god, you believe he's the one behind everything, you don't know why he does what he does, you don't understand him, and you can't prove that he exists.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lightleggy

@ferrari2001 said:

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

btw I'm not an atheist, just playing devils advocate. And I absolutely agree with you. It's not your profession in Jesus Christ that matters but how you act and what you do.

As for my other post, I'm just projecting the normal American Christian attitude towards religion. Most of them want a religion in which they can be "saved" but at the same time live their lives how they see fit. Hardcore Baptists and Pentecostals in particular live by the saved by faith alone mentality, which removes works totally from the picture. The Topic Creator in particular gave the impression that works were meaningless and that was who I was responding to.

Yes it's a shame to see how many people simply try to twist it to their favor, it also allows them to live by some sickly double standard.

@XVision84 said:

@lightleggy: So you don't understand why God does what he does. You just assume he's the one doing it and you assume he's all-good, all-powerful, all-knowing. That doesn't seem like a very good reason to believe something exists.

@XVision84 said:

@lightleggy said:

@ferrari2001 said:

So you firmly believe in a god, you believe he's the one behind everything, you don't know why he does what he does, you don't understand him, and you can't prove that he exists.

It's good enough for me. I cant prove God's existance to you. I dont understand Him but I still choose to follow Him (even though I do fail a lot at it). I've had plenty of personal experiences which made me pretty confident about His existance. I completely understand why you would choose not to believe, and like I said, I cant prove anything to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@lightleggy: Would it be too much of a stretch for me to ask for examples of such personal experiences? I'd understand if you didn't want to, I'm just curious.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

Not sure I agree with your logic as this is what we do in chemistry.

Aspirin is C9H8O4. 3 elements the same in the sense of being elements, but each different in their own way, and when combined in a certain way = aspirin.

C,H, and O are each a part of aspirin, but each is not aspirin separately, nor is each the exact same as the other, and yet when combined in a specific way they are aspirin.

It's worth nothing that when combined in a different way, C2H4O2, they are also vinegar.

Also, God is an invention.