Do Gamers have faster reflexes than non-gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by santiagoms (7 posts) -
#2 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (445 posts) -

Only in the context of games. It doesn't translate into other applications, like sports.

#3 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

That depends on the task I guess...

#4 Posted by Sword-Demon (6841 posts) -

If by reflex, you mean the time it takes between being exposed to a stimulus and beginning to react to it, then no. the impulses to/from your brain travel at specific speeds (around 200 mph iirc); playing video games doesn't change that.

What video games can do is train you how to predict and react to certain stimuli, making your reflexes more effective, but not quicker.

but that's not something exclusive to video games, many activities do the same thing.

#5 Edited by norm41x (669 posts) -

I agree with HuggyBear. We might as well be Napoleon Dynamite and his brother in karate class when it comes to real world reflexes.

#6 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

If by reflex, you mean the time it takes between being exposed to a stimulus and beginning to react to it, then no. the impulses to/from your brain travel at specific speeds (around 200 mph iirc); playing video games doesn't change that.

What video games can do is train you how to predict and react to certain stimuli, making your reflexes more effective, but not quicker.

but that's not something exclusive to video games, many activities do the same thing.

Yeah, feel like this is what it does, not faster but the anticipation. Then does it like improve your sense of your surroundings?

#7 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@touchscreenpad said:
@Sword-Demon said:

Yeah, feel like this is what it does, not faster but the anticipation. Then does it like improve your sense of your surroundings?

Well thats certainly a large part of it, but of course you can train your reaction time as well.

Training your brain to react to stimuli, and training your nervous system to have a quicker muscular response are indeed things that exist.

When you drill a reaction into your nervous system you eliminate that period between when you observe a stimuli and when you decide how to react to it. For instance if you see me throw a right straight to your melon "your gonna stop and think, oh no what do i do?" a boxer would react on instinct alone, duck and counter.

#8 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

@BeardMaster: Oh I see...thanks for the info...I think I'll try to do that. XD

#9 Posted by mindstorm (15240 posts) -

As a gamer I have the reaction time of a sloth. Internet lag has worked its way into my nervous system.

#10 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I know gaming has ruined my ability to enjoy films, or outdoor activities such as camping, bike riding, etc...

I remember I was at the beach once, and I was like "F--, those are some crappy res textures", Obama needs to hurry up on that mental mandate :P

#11 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -
#12 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

I know gaming has ruined my ability to enjoy films, or outdoor activities such as camping, bike riding, etc...

I remember I was at the beach once, and I was like "F--, those are some crappy res textures", Obama needs to hurry up on that mental mandate :P

How did gaming ruin those things for you?

#13 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13683 posts) -

I have cat eye reflexes.

#14 Posted by SheBites (35 posts) -

I only game once a week now. I'm glad I started getting into real life activities like biking and kickboxing. No, my reflexes weren't helped at all. I was horrible at kickboxing at first.

#15 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

Cuz it's a non manipulative moving picture.

#16 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:

@Fightingfan said:

Cuz it's a non manipulative moving picture.

You can manipulate the outdoors/real life to a much greater extent than any video game, so if interactivity is the issue I don't understand why it would ruin outdoor activities for you. I suspect you're just a lazy fatass.

#17 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1352 posts) -

No.

#18 Posted by MirkoS77 (6772 posts) -

I believe there was a study recently that showed that gaming 1/2 hour per day helped with spatial awareness, and another thing I can't remember. The test subjects also had more brain matter, whatever the hell that means.

#19 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15599 posts) -

I doubt it. Playing games wouldn't improve my ball-juggling which requires eye/feet coordination.