Do forums ruin things for you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

This topic involves the concept of "ignorance is bliss"

I've joined many specific forums in my life, whether they are video game forums, mountain bike forums, car forums, dog forums, etc. and I've experienced two general things at the end of the day when I'm done looking through various threads and comments on those forums. The first is that every forum has some sort of war going on and it's always between brands like system wars; domestic vs. imports, trek vs, specialized, (free marketing for corporations) and the second is a genuine feeling of sadness. There are thousands of reliable and unreliable opinions flying around and you subconsciously listen to all of them, just like a sponge sucking up water. There are exceptions though, such as Off-topic forums which are filled with so much randomness that promoting a generalized point-of-view or notion in favor of one thing over another is impossible to do. Rather than dwell and invest countless hours of thought into one things imperfections isn't it better to enjoy whatever the product may be, just how it is, in essence to leave it unspoiled by third party thoughts and opinions of which did not originate from your own thought.

Although, not doing research (I view forums as a media of research, be it very unreliable but still research) leaves you ignorant and unable to fend for yourself and muster up a valid thought in response to anyone's opinion whether it be on forums or in everyday circumstances. A very important skill and a skill I think is extremely hard to learn and something I am not even close to achieving is knowing what and who is reliable on the internet, and to be completely detached from advertisements whether they be commercials or anything else, because they just want your money. In example to that last point would be how Purina markets their pet food, their commercials are very appealing but at the end of the day your dog will be eating horse hooves, but that still doesn't stop the thought and consideration to buzz around in my head. (it's on tv and it's so pretty, it can't be that bad!)

So in closing, have forums ruined anything for you and what do you think is needed for a more happy life, ignorance/bliss, knowledge, or a combination of both.

Here's a few things forums have ruined for me: Car forums (Kia optima), video games (Wii u hardware specifically this gen), phone forums.

And

Here’s a few they have really helped me out with: PC hardware, German Shepherds, fishing.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

A lot of games I think I'd like I usually end up buying regardless of others opinions, but there have been more than a few games I've skipped over because I've read peoples comments on the game. It's probably become worse now that there are no convenient places to rent games around where I live.

This forum used to ruin politics for me, but now I stay out of political threads because I have nothing of value to really add and most of the people commenting in those threads don't realize they don't have anything of value to add either.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

More knowledge never hurt anybody. If you really believe in this concept of ignorance = bliss then I suggest you go seek some professional help. The truth should be something we strive for, not an inconvenience.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 polishkid99
@airshocker said:

More knowledge never hurt anybody. If you really believe in this concept of ignorance = bliss then I suggest you go seek some professional help. The truth should be something we strive for, not an inconvenience.

It can hurt some. With the use of more stupid aphorisms, yes "Knowledge is power" but what if someone isn't strong enough to handle all of that devastating/intriguing/important/helpful/unwanted information? That could lead to "With Great Knowledge Comes Great Sorrow". Which could lead to depression. especially in the adolescence age group, of kids who don't fit in and/or are academically more gifted.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

they just stress me out mostly, especially if i have an actual important question that i need answered, because then you get 40 different responses giving you different answers/advice non stop and then i just get confused/more stressed. ESPECIALLY when its a medical related question. No thanks.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

TL;DR

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@polishkid99 said:
@airshocker said:

It can hurt some. With the use of more stupid aphorisms, yes "Knowledge is power" but what if someone isn't strong enough to handle all of that devastating/intriguing/important/helpful/unwanted information? That could lead to "With Great Knowledge Comes Great Sorrow". Which could lead to depression. especially in the adolescence age group, of kids who don't fit in and/or are academically more gifted.

I've never met anyone that knew so much that it drove them to depression. Nor have I ever heard of such a thing.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I am fine with knowing and choosing to forget

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I think at the end of the day you'll have to decide for yourself whether as an individual you want and have the overall capacity to know more or not. The ignorance is a blessing rationale is in my opinion complete hogwash only in the sense that Its pretty much an acknowledgment on the individual's part that he is unworthy of knowledge, he cannot endure its weight. But if someone is in reality as such then its better for him to dwell in ignorance; knowledge won't do him any good anyway but has the potential of subverting him somehow.

That being said, I can see how exposing one's self to online discussions and dissections of a specific entertainment franchise could ruin it for someone. I personally rarely if ever get involved in discussions on whatever that I enjoy, be it a movie, a show, an anime or whatever. That is a part of my consciousness that I don't want others wreaking havoc in it. I have no problem engaging a selected few in such discussions, but its not something for hundreds of strangers online to participate in.

halffullcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 halffullcup
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

@polishkid99: I'm in the same condition 15 years old and surrounded with dumb kids. I have only one friend. And after years of loneliness.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@GazaAli said:

I think at the end of the day you'll have to decide for yourself whether as an individual you want and have the overall capacity to know more or not. The ignorance is a blessing rationale is in my opinion complete hogwash only in the sense that Its pretty much an acknowledgment on the individual's part that he is unworthy of knowledge, he cannot endure its weight. But if someone is in reality as such then its better for him to dwell in ignorance; knowledge won't do him any good anyway but has the potential of subverting him somehow.

That being said, I can see how exposing one's self to online discussions and dissections of a specific entertainment franchise could ruin it for someone. I personally rarely if ever get involved in discussions on whatever that I enjoy, be it a movie, a show, an anime or whatever. That is a part of my consciousness that I don't want others wreaking havoc in it. I have no problem engaging a selected few in such discussions, but its not something for hundreds of strangers online to participate in.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

@polishkid99 said:
@airshocker said:

Anyone who would learn something troubling or bothersome against their morality and wish to unlearn it for the sake of their bubble are as close to the term "failure" as anyone can get.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 polishkid99

@GazaAli said:

That's a good opinion and response. I completely agree with it.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

System Wars does.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@airshocker said:

This ^

Knowledge is purely beneficial, despite it seeming inconvenient at times. Most of my knowledge comes from forums. Forums have taught me better than actual school. Spend enough time on the internet and you realize that the "things you don't know" bubble shrinks immensely.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@elkoldo said:

System Wars does.

This very much so. The utter negativity that surrounds the board is a great way to kill any hype for a game.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Bardock47 said:

@elkoldo said:

System Wars does.

This very much so. The utter negativity that surrounds the board is a great way to kill any hype for a game.

Exactly. My love for gaming as a whole has depleted because of the immense negativity in these gaming forums. It just kills it for me.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@airshocker said:

This ^

Knowledge is purely beneficial, despite it seeming inconvenient at times. Most of my knowledge comes from forums. Forums have taught me better than actual school. Spend enough time on the internet and you realize that the "things you don't know" bubble shrinks immensely.

I can relate as well, I hardly learned jack shit back when I was in middle school and high school because our school district sucks. I'm in college now, still learning some things but not as much as browsing forums and it's not just the GS forums either.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@Bardock47 said:

@elkoldo said:

System Wars does.

Exactly. My love for gaming as a whole has depleted because of the immense negativity in these gaming forums. It just kills it for me.

Exactly, I just ignore it and move on. If I actually took it seriously I'd be a very sad panda.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

I've joined many online communities throughout my life and I always got treated like shit. The people would either ignore my posts or just verbally or emotionally abuse me in some way.

The fact is that the people on the Internet are not very nice and many of them are outright jerks.

That's why now I tend to stay away from Internet forums (and this includes Gamespot) because the people who post on Internet forums just aren't very good people.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts
@thegerg said:

Maybe you should look at the common factor in all those caustic relationships: you. I've come across plenty of nice people on the internet, either you're looking in the wrong places or you're the problem.

You're so full of shit. I can't be the problem if almost everywhere I go people tell me "to go **** myself".

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@pariah3 said:
@thegerg said:

Maybe you should look at the common factor in all those caustic relationships: you. I've come across plenty of nice people on the internet, either you're looking in the wrong places or you're the problem.

You're so full of shit. I can't be the problem if almost everywhere I go people tell me "to go **** myself".

Well what are you waiting on?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@pariah3 said:
@thegerg said:

Very nice.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@pariah3 said:
@thegerg said:

Actually you could be the problem, especially if you introduce yourself in a rather childish manner or post every often in a condescending manner and then you throw a tantrum to anyone who insults you. If that's the case then I don't see a problem with them telling you to stop breathing "their air".

I seen it happen plenty of times before and it just never ends well.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No forums don't bother me at all.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

YES..forums have sucked the joy of the internet out of me for years now..I started out going to websites just browsing. Enjoying articles,etc..THEN i found the "FORUMS" tap on every site..from there its lead to many arguments,sleepless nights,frustration,hate,anger..and with this site it let me know people complain about gaming..AND it let me see MOST people come off as disgusting fanboys instead of just gaming buddies..I HATE the internet at times..seriously..hate it..but,its like a drug..you have to have it..