Do any Americans wear poppies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
With Remembrance Sunday coming up, I just started thinking whether Americans wear poppies or not. For those who don't know, it's basically a symbol worn primarily in the UK in November to remember those who lost their lives in WW1 and WW2, and soldiers in current wars who have lost their lives as well. I saw British news reporters wear them at the Presidential Election, and I'm sure some of you guys have seen British PMs wear one as well.
#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Not that I've ever seen.

#3 Posted by mAArdman (1612 posts) -

they eat them

#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27151 posts) -
Just underpants
#5 Posted by thegerg (15717 posts) -
yes
#6 Posted by Stesilaus (3447 posts) -

I do remember buying a remembrance poppy from a veteran here in the US a few years ago, but wearing them isn't nearly as common as it is in Commonwealth countries.

But what I miss most about the Remembrance Day ceremonies that I attended in my childhood is the singing of the hymn O Valiant Hearts. Sadly, it's not heard often here in the US.

#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151863 posts) -
No we don't. Not part of our culture.
#8 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

No we don't. Not part of our culture.LJS9502_basic

You have never been around a military base then have you? They most certainly are worn here in the US.

#9 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16804 posts) -

No me. I usually keep that part of my life a low profile. I don't need recognition.

#10 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13635 posts) -

With Remembrance Sunday coming up, I just started thinking whether Americans wear poppies or not. For those who don't know, it's basically a symbol worn primarily in the UK in November to remember those who lost their lives in WW1 and WW2, and soldiers in current wars who have lost their lives as well. I saw British news reporters wear them at the Presidential Election, and I'm sure some of you guys have seen British PMs wear one as well.michaelP4

It's like you aren't even writing in english.

#11 Posted by jimkabrhel (15422 posts) -

I typically will donate to veterans who offer them in exchange, though they are paper poppies. I'll keep them in my care for awhile out of respect.

#12 Posted by Namgis (3591 posts) -

worn primarily in the UKmichaelP4

Don't forget us Canadians! They start taking donations at the start of November. We're people too.