Disney acquires rights for future Indiana Jones films.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Master_Live (15705 posts) -

Disney acquires rights for future 'Indiana Jones' films

So aside from Disney acquiring everything on Earth, your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Horgen (110883 posts) -

Harrison Ford is to old for Indiana Jones now =/

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (25304 posts) -

neet-o

just keep George Lucas's hands off it and I'm sure it'll do fine, same goes for Star Wars, he's a megalomaniac surround by "yes"-men who can't/won't give him the necessary artistic feedback needed to make his works better

#4 Posted by Master_Live (15705 posts) -

^^^^So if Lucas wasn't surrounded by yes men would he be a great director?

#5 Edited by johnd13 (8185 posts) -

Without Harrison Ford it just won't be the same. :(

#6 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

they should just stop making them

#7 Edited by lamprey263 (25304 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Great? Who's to say? But he'd at least be getting the necessary positive feedback to at least improve on his films. If anything he should hire an army of fanboys, the kind with nothing better to do than schematically design how the B Wing works through and through and is like a goddamn savant and knows every aspect to the Star Wars universe... after all I'm sure they'd make better advisers to the project than someone who can't remember what they pulled out of their ass last because it's inconsequential to them, after all I'm sure all Lucas is thinking at this point is put a bunch of shit together and slap a Star Wars logo on it and it's money in the bank.

As far as Crystal Skull went Lucas wrote it and bankrolled it, and he had leverage even over a directing genius like Spielberg that completely ruined the project. I think it would just be best he stay as far away as possible, if not to save the films, then at least to preserve his legacy before he becomes even more notorious for ruining things.

#8 Posted by ferrari2001 (17265 posts) -

hmm, interesting. What hasn't Disney acquired lately. They are becoming the largest media company ever conceived.

#9 Posted by lostrib (42016 posts) -

Please, no more...

Not after Kingdom of My Crystal Butt

#10 Edited by foxhound_fox (90562 posts) -

The thing is, they don't have to do anything with it and still make tons of money.

#11 Posted by Horgen (110883 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The thing is, they don't have to do anything with it and still make tons of money.

If that is the case, then why did the previous "owners" sell it?

#12 Edited by killerfist (19902 posts) -

It should have ended with the 3rd one.

#13 Edited by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

fuck

nothing is sacred

#14 Edited by GamingTitan (632 posts) -

i don't think a reboot would ruin the originals some how so bring it on. I'll watch~

#15 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

I think American Graffiti is better than some of Spielberg's films. Not all. But a lot.

#16 Edited by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Disney have owned Indiana Jones since they bought Lucasfilm. All this is is basically them just cutting out Paramount as the distributor.

#17 Edited by Horgen (110883 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@horgen123 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Disney have owned Indiana Jones since they bought Lucasfilm. All this is is basically them just cutting out Paramount as the distributor.

Ah... So no big changes then?

#18 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

@worlock77 said:

@horgen123 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Ah... So no big changes then?

Not really. This was pretty much inevitable since the moment George Lucas signed the papers transferring his company to Disney.

#19 Edited by foxhound_fox (90562 posts) -
@horgen123 said:

Some people might prefer a lump sum payout rather than trying to manage the IP.

#20 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel. It worked for Star Trek so I don't see why it couldn't work here. Maybe even bring in JJ Abrams to direct.

#21 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@horgen123: They fixed that in the latest one, by giving him a son who likes adventures

#22 Edited by BranKetra (49585 posts) -

Any new movie of this franchise would be Indiana Jones only in name without Harrison Ford unless Disney reboots the franchise. I do not think that is going to occur anytime soon with the Indiana Jones collection on Blu-Ray for seventy dollars or so right now.

#23 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

Any new movie of this franchise would be Indiana Jones only in name without Harrison Ford unless Disney reboots the franchise. I do not think that is going to occur anytime soon with the Indiana Jones collection on Blu-Ray for seventy dollars or so right now.

Not sure how the collection being available on blu-ray would preclude a reboot.

#24 Posted by Treflis (11790 posts) -

They should've just stopped with the first 3.

#25 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Well, American Graffiti was apparently pretty good.

#26 Edited by foxhound_fox (90562 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@Master_Live said:

Well, American Graffiti was apparently pretty good.

It was 7/10. Nothing mind-blowing or ground-breaking. The first Star Wars was probably Lucas's best work.

#27 Edited by BranKetra (49585 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

I have a hypothetical question which is intended to make you think about films from a consumer's perspective:

Why buy a reboot when you can get the great original films?

#28 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

Well apparently it's been leaked that Disney is rebooting the franchise. I have an early screenshot of the film:

#29 Edited by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

I have a hypothetical question which is intended to make you think about films from a consumer's perspective:

Because maybe you like the reboot?

#30 Edited by BranKetra (49585 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

That was also a rhetorical question.

#31 Posted by Jd1680a (5956 posts) -

Disney would probably reboot Indiana Jones with a new actor to replace Harrison Ford. Who would be a good Harrison Ford replacement? Would JJ Abrams also direct the new Indiana Jones movie?

#32 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

Do you have anything resembling a point?

#33 Edited by BranKetra (49585 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

Yes. You must have missed it since I did not elaborate on it as much as I am in this post.

I was asking if rebooting Indiana Jones is worthwhile. In a worse case scenario, the reboot will not be as good as the original movie series and so the sub-par films would tarnish the franchise as a whole causing disinterest in it thereby lowering sales. The potential for this scenario is not low since that franchise is of a high standard in films which is why I mentioned it. I thought you would have understood that much from what I said, but it is okay since you did not.

#34 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

Yes. You must have missed it since I did not elaborate on it as much as I am in this post.

I was asking if rebooting Indiana Jones is worthwhile. In a worse case scenario, the reboot will not be as good as the original movie series and so the sub-par films would tarnish the franchise as a whole causing disinterest in it thereby lowering sales. The potential for this scenario is not low since that franchise is of a high standard in films which is why I mentioned it. I thought you would have understood that much from what I said, but it is okay since you did not.

Perhaps if you had said anything even remotely hinting at that instead of basically "they can't reboot it because they're selling blu-rays of the originals".

#35 Posted by BranKetra (49585 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@worlock77 said:

@BranKetra said:

Perhaps if you had said anything even remotely hinting at that instead of basically "they can't reboot it because they're selling blu-rays of the originals".

I assumed that was common knowledge.

#36 Posted by sukraj (23841 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

Without Harrison Ford it just won't be the same. :(

yeah I grew up watching him on tv.