Discworld series - any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kcinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kcinz
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Theres a lot of books in this series. Is it worth reading at all?

Sparkys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sparkys
Member since 2004 • 4074 Posts

If you like Fantasy and/or british humour, you can't really go wrong with the first two books. Then you can see what you like about it and follow the books that focus on specific parts of that universe.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

I have read about a third of those books, and the only one I disliked was Carpe Jugulem. The ones that read that centered on with Rincewind (The Color Of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and Interesting Times) were hysterically funny.

Berkut666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Berkut666
Member since 2010 • 277 Posts

Agree with the above. Very British humour but good. I have read them all (been a fan for years) and I love them. Must be said that some of thenewer ones have a tendancy to be a wee bit disjointed, but I guess this is due to the Authors medical condition.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Yes, great series.
Kagai13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kagai13
Member since 2010 • 571 Posts
Only read 4 or 5, imo - they're great if you're in a good mood. I had days when I'd read a whole book on one day and days when I'd put them back to a shelf after 2 pages. Interesting Times was my favorite book, I think
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Discworld. Any good? Water. Any wet? Gordon Ramsey. Any angry? Air. Any breathable? The Discworld series draws you in with comedy, but the philosophic observations of human psychology, the fascinating and likable characters, and the triumph of lighter shades of gray over darker shades of gray is what keeps you hooked. The first three Discworld books were mainly just comedy, but they began to get more serious, and most of the books, especially Hogfather, Reaper Man, I Shall Wear Midnight, and The Last Hero, bring a tear to my eye, not from the sadness, but from the poignant truth and beauty that they discuss. And Wintersmith. Oh dear lord Wintersmith. About halfway through the book is a part that makes the first fifteen minutes of Disney Pixar's UP look cheerful and jolly. To simply describe Discworld as "Comedy" is only the tip of the iceberg.