Did you enjoy Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher Batman movies ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by indzman (17557 posts) -

Currently i'm re watching Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Reminds me to rewatch BATS ( animated ) again lol. All are quite enjoyable ... imo, my favourite is Batman Returns for its darker presentation and of course Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.

Did you enjoy Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher's Batman movies ? Which is your favourite Batman movie amongst it ?

#2 Posted by megagene (23003 posts) -

Burton, yes (Batman more than Batman Returns though). Schumacher, no.

#3 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

Burton's Batman movies were excellent, Schumaker's were just OK.

#4 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

@megagene said:

Burton, yes (Batman more than Batman Returns though). Schumacher, no.

Basically this. I respect Returns in that it was the first superhero movie that focused more on the villains than the actual hero. I wish more superhero sequels would try and do this because with this kind of narrative there is alot of potential for something great.

#5 Posted by solidruss (23728 posts) -

The first 2 were great. After that, not so much

#6 Edited by Zelda187 (757 posts) -

The Burton movies? Sure

Schumacher? LOLZ

#7 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26156 posts) -

Enjoy? Yes. Val Kilmer is my second favorite Batman. But I still think, with all their flaws, Nolan's trilogy is the best iteration of Batman on the big screen.

#8 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9650 posts) -

#9 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9650 posts) -

#10 Posted by Master_Live (14405 posts) -

Batman 89' and Returns are good, Forever is passable, the last one: yikes.

#11 Posted by mjf249 (2856 posts) -

I liked Tim Burton's Batman, but Schumachers we're absolutely horrible.

#12 Edited by sukraj (22566 posts) -

yes I liked the first 2

#13 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14417 posts) -

The Burton movies are still pretty decent. As far as the Schumacher movies...well, there was a reason Warner Bros. decided to go back to the drawing board after they were released. Batman and Robin is still the only movie that I actually walked out on 20 minutes in.

#14 Edited by indzman (17557 posts) -

@hallenbeck77:

The Burton movies are still pretty decent. As far as the Schumacher movies...well, there was a reason Warner Bros. decided to go back to the drawing board after they were released. Batman and Robin is still the only movie that I actually walked out on 20 minutes in.

I wonder why many hate Batman and Robin, i found it quite enjoyable but yeah too much colorful ( costumes, sets) and cheesy dialouges at times. Batgirls entry made the movie more interesting tho ... imo. Personally enjoyed it more than Forever lol.

What you personally hated in Batman and Robin ?

#15 Posted by destinhpark (4737 posts) -

The Burton ones aren't so bad. But Scchumacher's are just purely terrible.

#16 Posted by HavocV3 (7934 posts) -

@indzman said:

@hallenbeck77:

@hallenbeck77 said:

I wonder why many hate Batman and Robin, i found it quite enjoyable but yeah too much colorful ( costumes, sets) and cheesy dialouges at times. Batgirls entry made the movie more interesting tho ... imo. Personally enjoyed it more than Forever lol.

Kill me.

#17 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14417 posts) -

@indzman said:

@hallenbeck77:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Everything.

Gawdy set design, infantile writing, an bombastic, headache inducing musical score...the list goes on. Schumacher simply decided to take probably one of the worst aspects of the Batman Universe--the overtly campiness and corniness of the 1960's TV show--and ramped it up to an obnoxious degree.

Mr Freeze may not have been a top tier Batman villain, but thanks to Batman: The Animated Series and the episode "Heart of Ice" in particular, a team of talented writers took what was once a third string bad guy and turned him into one of the most memorable characters out there. It was a kids show, but they treated its audience with smart writing and touches of humor. When you have Mr. Freeze spout lines like "You're not going to send me to the cooler!" and have nothing but unfunny puns, bad costumes, and unimaginative writing, (Alicia Silverstone becomes Batgirl by hacking into Alfred's computer? Seriously?!), the whole thing comes off as insulting and a waste of time.

#18 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

I saw Batman Returns & Forever as a child and enjoyed them so those two hold a special place with me. I really liked Keaton as Batman as well.

#20 Edited by Transfer_Point (85 posts) -

Batman 89? Good, but overrated.

Batman Returns? Okay, but not as good as the first.

Batman Forever? Watchable.

Batman & Robin? Just terrible. Really terrible. There's a reason the franchise died for a while after this movie.

If you like TAS, find/watch Mask of the Phantasm. Better than any of the Burton/Shoemaker movies, IMHO.

#21 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150707 posts) -

Batman was good....didn't really like Batman Returns......Batman Forever...eh....Batman & Robin should never be spoken of ever...

#22 Posted by Qixote (10694 posts) -

Batman 89 very good. From there it gradually degraded into the steaming pile of crap of Batman and Robin.

Studios keep wanting to throw too much crap into a single movie to the point of being beyond silly. Now they are doing it again with the latest round of superhero movies.

#23 Posted by indzman (17557 posts) -

@indzman said:

@hallenbeck77:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Everything.

Gawdy set design, infantile writing, an bombastic, headache inducing musical score...the list goes on. Schumacher simply decided to take probably one of the worst aspects of the Batman Universe--the overtly campiness and corniness of the 1960's TV show--and ramped it up to an obnoxious degree.

Mr Freeze may not have been a top tier Batman villain, but thanks to Batman: The Animated Series and the episode "Heart of Ice" in particular, a team of talented writers took what was once a third string bad guy and turned him into one of the most memorable characters out there. It was a kids show, but they treated its audience with smart writing and touches of humor. When you have Mr. Freeze spout lines like "You're not going to send me to the cooler!" and have nothing but unfunny puns, bad costumes, and unimaginative writing, (Alicia Silverstone becomes Batgirl by hacking into Alfred's computer? Seriously?!), the whole thing comes off as insulting and a waste of time.

Ahhh, now i understand why you left Batman and Robin show in 20 minutes lol.

#24 Edited by indzman (17557 posts) -

@HavocV3 said:

@indzman said:

@hallenbeck77:

@hallenbeck77 said:

Kill me.

yeah, it was funny as hell and silly too =P

#25 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (920 posts) -

Returns is the only one i liked.

The '89 film..idk why I don't like it. It's well done and the acting is great, it just doesn't rub me the right way

Forever was pretty bad, but it had a fun cast.

Batman and The Other Guy was just campy and tasteless..Alicia Silverstone looked hot as hell in that one tho.

#26 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29176 posts) -

Batman 1989 was awesome.

#27 Posted by pillarrocks (1317 posts) -

I liked both Batman and Batman Returns as a kid. As for Batman Forever, I hated it as it looked like comedy then how serious the first two films were. Batman and Robin is probably the worse of the movies, it felt campy like the old Batman TV show from the 1960's. I like Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl but hated how they made her Alfred's niece instead of Commissioner Gordan's daughter. Also Bane was terrible and looked like he was retard just grunting. Even the jokes were terrible so glad a fifth Batman wasn't bad is would probably suck as well.

#28 Posted by one_plum (6350 posts) -

Val Kilmer as Batman is underrated.

#29 Posted by SythusHD (38 posts) -

Overalls out of 100

Batman - 88

Batman Returns - 88

Batman Forever - 87 [Much better than Batman & Robin][My favorite from these 4 movies]

Batman & Robin 80

#30 Posted by Iszdope (9866 posts) -

I loved the first one.

Still got the poster somewhere...

#31 Posted by M8ingSeezun (1998 posts) -

Tim Burton yes.

Schumacher absolutely NOT