Did this mechanic steal my brake pads?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Two400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Two400
Member since 2006 • 2787 Posts

I got new front tires installed and alignment.

The car's brake pads weren't making a squealing noise before I came in, and now they are squealing noticeably. Do you think they stole the old pads, which were 2 months new, and replaced them with worn ones?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Squealing can just be debris in between the pads and shoes/discs. They might have used compressed air to blow out some dirt from the assembly and they got into the shoes.

Just go back and ask about the squeaking. Simple.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I doubt that. You know how much longer it takes to take off all the tires and re-put on breaks? How long was it in the shop for?

Two400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Two400
Member since 2006 • 2787 Posts

@ribstaylor1: Maybe an hour and a half. Maybe 2 hours. For two new front tires and alignment.

*I guess there was other stuff going on in the shop though, so hard to tell how long mine was worked on.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

There's probably dust in the tires. happened to me one and my car mechanic advised me to wash out the tires. when the car is cool and didn't drive for a good while. Others than that, he said he needs to scrub the insides.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Two400: Maybe not but it is possible. I had this one mechanic I suspected was changing out working parts for older parts in the engine whenever I left the car with him overnight so one day, before taking the car in, I lightly marked most of the parts with a small red dot...upon getting my car back the battery had been swapped out when the reason I had left the car there didn't even require him to pop the hood, let alone swap batteries (and he never mentioned he did) so I told him to put my battery back and never used his services again...

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Two400 said:

I got new front tires installed and alignment.

The car's brake pads weren't making a squealing noise before I came in, and now they are squealing noticeably. Do you think they stole the old pads, which were 2 months new, and replaced them with worn ones?

Yup. And I have a really good idea to get back at him. Nearing the closing time of the garage, find him alone, chloroform him, and throw him in your trunk. Put him in a bathtub full of ice and cut out one of his kidneys. Sell it on the black market and get $50,000. I'd say that's a fair trade off.

JK, don't actually do this. You'll get in a lot of trouble. :(

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

No he didn't steal them. What happen was your car was not aligned, so it naturally started to uneven your brake pads. When you got the alignment, it all went the way it was suppose to, but your brake pads are all uneven, not their fault ! So they will continue to make noise, until you even them out correctly. Your actually suppose to get new pads when doing the alignment. But it cost more. They were probably trying to save you money, but you'll have to deal with the noise.