Did they swear nearly as much back then as they did on Deadwood?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chocobo7000 (737 posts) -

Did they swear as much in the wild west back then?

#2 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

I doubt it, the Wild West was still set in the late 1800's wasn't it.

#3 Posted by poptart (6875 posts) -

From Wiki:

From its debut, Deadwood has drawn attention for its use of extremely explicit, modern profanity, especially among the more coarse characters. It is a deliberateanachronismon the part of the creator with a twofold intent. Milch has explained in several interviews and on the DVD commentary tracks that the characters were originally intended to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the era's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical. As one commentator put it "… if you put words like 'goldarn' into the mouths of the characters on 'Deadwood', they'd all wind up sounding likeYosemite Sam."

#4 Posted by RoslindaleOne (7566 posts) -
Man, I miss that show. Anyways, I've always wondered that myself.
#5 Posted by Dylan_11 (11293 posts) -
Let me check. ... .. . Yes they did.
#6 Posted by Jaguar_Shade (5822 posts) -

I doubt it, the Wild West was still set in the late 1800's wasn't it.

October_Tide
In a hard living frontier camp with unsavory characters and where life was tough. Deadwood was the original sin city, and with no law, it was also the most dangerous and violent city in America at the time. So I don't think many manners were used.
#7 Posted by Palantas (15323 posts) -

"All the ****suckers of Deadwood"

Note: Contains naughty language.

#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152246 posts) -
I'm sure there was swearing...but not the same words.