Did anyone enjoy Star Trek Nemisis over Star Trek 2009?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

Hello: having used the magic of VPN and watched Star Trek: Nemesis about 30 odd seconds ago and Having read all the negative reviews I have to say: for the most part I thought this was a pretty good movie and one of the stronger efforts.

Star Trek 2009 Villain (Nero) =

You attempted to save our planet. Now I will blow you up and commit genocide: even though I am a humble miner. Spock in particular is really evil since he tried to save us the most.

Star Trek: Nemesis villain (Shinzon) =

Properly explained back-story and motivation. Thematically linked throughout other characters "Data", "Picard" and "B-4". A villain Conflicted and challenged: Picard wanting to beleive in him, show he has the potential for good as well as evil. Ultimately choosing to relgate himself to the hand he felt fate delt him.

Even the main villains of the tv show and series (the Romulans) take a stand against him when he's about to commit genocide, helping the enterprise. Because they aren't 2d monster men.

Star Trek: 2009 Story/Theme=

Man pissed off. Goes on the rag. Kirk And Spock become buddies. Blowith him the **** up. Changes timeline: allowing Hollywood execs the ability to make lots of money for the years to come along with Xmen: Days of Future Past and Terminator: Genesis.

Star Trek: Nemisis Story/Theme=

Humanities potential for good and evil, the people we become. Shinzon becoming Picard's alternate incarnation through a terrible hate filled life. Data (who always aspired to be more human) actually lecturing Picard on what he believes to be humanity and ultimately sacrificing himself. The final: B-4 an unmarked canvas.

Yes: the ending battle it's similar Wrath Of Khan. But (arguably) it has more plot going on round about it.

Star Trek: Nemesis Action Scenes =

Terrible live action scenes: weakest aspect of the movie. Look cheap with a particular bad CGI sequence of a hijacked fighter craft.

Shinzons ship however is very cool. And (rather than focusing on visceral pew pew) Picard does the opposite of what Shinzon would expect him to do: recklessly ramming into him.

Star Trek 2009 =

Superior action sequence: with lens flare.

How feels you on the incredibly important topic of Star Trek movies from 13 years ago recently watched on netflix?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Always thought Nemesis was garbage. The new Star Trek movies have brought some novelty back to the series. No more cheesy as hell Shatner, for instance.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

well nemesis did give us skinny tom hardy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

@airshocker said:

No more cheesy as hell Shatner, for instance.

But he uttered the greatest line humanity has ever known.

Loading Video...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Hello: having used the magic of VPN and watched Star Trek: Insurrection about 30 odd seconds ago and Having read all the negative reviews I have to say: for the most part I thought this was a pretty good movie and one of the stronger efforts.

You attempted to save our planet. Now I will blow you up and commit genocide: even though I am a humble miner. Spock in particular is really evil since he tried to save us the most.

Properly explained back-story and motivation. Thematically linked throughout other characters "Data", "Picard" and "B-4". A villain Conflicted and challenged: Picard wanting to beleive in him, show he has the potential for good as well as evil. Ultimately choosing to relgate himself to the hand he felt fate delt him.

Even the main villains of the tv show and series (the Romulans) take a stand against him when he's about to commit genocide, helping the enterprise. Because they aren't 2d monster men.

Man pissed off. Goes on the rag. Kirk And Spock become buddies. Blowith him the **** up. Changes timeline: allowing Hollywood execs the ability to make lots of money for the years to come along with Xmen: Days of Future Past and Terminator: Genesis.

Humanities potential for good and evil, the people we become. Shinzon becoming Picard's alternate incarnation through a terrible hate filled life. Data (who always aspired to be more human) actually lecturing Picard on what he believes to be humanity and ultimately sacrificing himself. The final: B-4 an unmarked canvas.

Yes: the ending battle it's similar Wrath Of Khan. But (arguably) it has more plot going on round about it.

Terrible live action scenes: weakest aspect of the movie. Look cheap with a particular bad CGI sequence of a hijacked fighter craft.

Shinzons ship however is very cool. And (rather than focusing on visceral pew pew) Picard does the opposite of what Shinzon would expect him to do: recklessly ramming into him.

Star Trek 2009 =

How feels you on the incredibly important topic of Star Trek movies from 13 years ago recently watched on netflix?

You mentioned liking Insurrection in the beginning of your post but then you spent the rest of the post comparing Nemesis. Did you mean that you thought Nemesis was one of the stronger efforts?

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

You know: I was watching TNG seasons 1-7 this month and if you add this, Deanna Troi has had 4 rape attempts. All of them from the mind.

Technically (since the Dominion took over Betazed) her mother is probably dead as well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I enjoyed Star Trek (2009) far more than Nemesis for these reasons:

1. It didn't fart around with complicated continuity.
  2. It had all the nostalgia and fan service someone who loved TOS could want, and more.
  3. It was a movie that became commercially viable and helped keep the Star Trek movie franchise alive.

Did I think it was a good Star Trek movie? God no. The complete lack of anything "science" related was despicable (the whole "red matter" garbage still annoys me to no end). But how can we really care? It was either the franchise go for the mainstream movie-going audience or die. Not a hard decision for someone who loves Star Trek to make.

And it's not like Netflix doesn't have every episode of every major series available to watch at any time, in any place in the US (or world if you are clever enough).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I honestly dont get why people go to watch the new Star Trek movies, they are decent but they have been made more star wars then Star Trek and now we have characters that are nothing like their counterparts would actually be if you follow the true Star Trek history.

So even though Nemesis was not a oscar winner, it was way better than the 2 newest star treks

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

No more cheesy as hell Shatner, for instance.

But he uttered the greatest line humanity has ever known.

Debatable.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Star Trek Nemsis is more like Star Trek the movies and television series. Unfortunately, that franchise struggled after Enterprise tanked, so it needed a pretty massive reboot. Abrams provided that, however he did it by making Star Trek appeal to a much wider audience.

With Abrams not directing Star Trek 3, I would expect it to take on a very different feel and appearance to the 2009 and 2013 films.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

You know: I was watching TNG seasons 1-7 this month and if you add this, Deanna Troi has had 4 rape attempts. All of them from the mind.

Technically (since the Dominion took over Betazed) her mother is probably dead as well.

Apparently, she (Lwaxana) lived past the end of the Dominion War although Mr. Homn died during that war.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Lwaxana_Troi

Some good Star Trek references:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/index.htm

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

I honestly dont get why people go to watch the new Star Trek movies, they are decent but they have been made more star wars then Star Trek and now we have characters that are nothing like their counterparts would actually be if you follow the true Star Trek history.

So even though Nemesis was not a oscar winner, it was way better than the 2 newest star treks

That's why it's established as an alternate continuity. That way they can reboot the franchise with all the same characters but make them entirely new at the same time.

And hey, Kirk still cheated at the Kobayashi-Maru test, so there's that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

It wasn't better as a movie, but it felt more like a Star Trek movie. This is actually one of my beefs with quite a few Star Trek movies. Sucked as a movie, just came off as a middle-of-the-road Star Trek episode extended to movie length.

Anyway, I understand the point that the new Star Trek movies are good if for no reason that they're better as movies and saved Star Trek from dying. Yeah, I get that. I just hope that they eventually recapture that Star Trek feel, otherwise...what the hell is the point of saving the franchise? I'm not saying that New Trek is bad, I actually liked both movies. I'm just saying that they don't feel like Star Trek. And if saving the franchise requires giving up that "Star Trek feeling", then what's the point? At some point, you're just as good taking the script and reworking it into a sci-fi movie that's got nothing to do with Star Trek.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
@MrGeezer said:

@Jacanuk said:

ucked as a movie, just came off as a middle-of-the-road Star Trek episode extended to movie length.

Not sure I agree with that . The entire Romulan senate is killed. Data dies. Riker moves to command another ship.

As far as Data's entire story goes: right from the get go it is established he aspires to be more human. While "Generations" reduced it to joke with the emotion chip: here he has an arc to not only the movie but the series concluding with him being robot Jesus, showing us what it is to be human and to aspire to be better. i.e. the exact opposite of Shinzon who accepts what he is.

As with most movies as well: it focuses a lot more on action. Which is to the movies detriment as the action sequences are garbage. If it was more like the TV show: getting rid of shit like the buggy ride or Riker pointlessly fighting a minion with a boring corridor shootout: it probably would have been better.

In general: I think a really good well written TNG or Deep Space 9 episode is better than any of the movies. But: I would still take this over any of the new cool dude bro startrek. They can get fucked.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Hello: having used the magic of VPN and watched Star Trek: Nemesis about 30 odd seconds ago and Having read all the negative reviews I have to say: for the most part I thought this was a pretty good movie and one of the stronger efforts.

Star Trek 2009 =

The older star trek movies are just better in general. Not to say the newer ones are not good, I quite enjoyed em but it has less cerebral sci fi and more action sci fi. Rebooting is not something I enjoy either, Let the kirk/picard/janeway era go. The portrait of a younger spock by the heroes antagonist Zachary Quinto is on the virge of comedy. It just doesn't work. It may work for people that didn't see the older star trek movies, but the movies are not that old. Any thirty something and late twenty something people saw those movies. Besides it's not like those movies were in black and white and/or lacking visual effects.

The star trek lore needs not to be reinvented. It just needs some good actors. Kirk was good in the last star trek, but he didn't have to play kirk, he needed to play someone else, just like zacchary. It's the disease of this generation, there's infinte room in people's imagination, but you gotta try. Polishing old glory is not the way to do it, the 2009 trek would have been way better for anyone that saw the older treks, when they used new characters. A bit more food for the brain wouldn't have hurt either.

The latest trek was good but it was simply too much influenced by the wrath of kahn. The series is a breeding ground for creativity, yet they still have to use pretty much everything from a previous movie. It would been real nice if someone makes a trek movie with a whole new cast and a whole new story, in the trek lore, it can't be that hard.