Detroit sees first white mayor in 40 years

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4221656

Do you think it would make a difference?

#2 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3776 posts) -

I can see the headlines tomorrow "Detroit has 20 billion dollar surplus thanks to white mayors actions"

#3 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

How would it make a difference?

#4 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@Makhaidos:

Well its a big debate locally. Especially since they tried their hardest to get him off the ballot.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130611/NEWS/306110110/

#5 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17136 posts) -

If he ends up starting to turn Detroit around I will not only be very happy but will have to laugh at the same time.

Will be pretty damn funny if the first white mayor ends up being Detroits savior. The man does sound pretty solid though as he really turned around the DMC so we KNOW he is a good businessman.

#6 Edited by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

My president is white my lambo's red

#7 Posted by hippiesanta (9802 posts) -

How would it make a difference?

white and clean i guess

#8 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Why would him being white make a difference?

#9 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

If he ends up starting to turn Detroit around I will not only be very happy but will have to laugh at the same time.

Will be pretty damn funny if the first white mayor ends up being Detroits savior. The man does sound pretty solid though as he really turned around the DMC so we KNOW he is a good businessman.

Being a good businessman doesn't you'll be good at running government. Government, on all levels, is filled with "good businessmen".

#10 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17136 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Being a good businessman doesn't you'll be good at running government. Government, on all levels, is filled with "good businessmen".

It's more of the idea that he essentially came in and saved the DMC and now they are thriving. Detroit is a city that very much needs saving so HOPEFULLY he can use that experience to help Detroit turn around.

#11 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

Why would him being white make a difference?

The Bell Curve.

#12 Edited by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

Brace yourself Detroit, you're about to be emancipated of barbarism and savagery rofl.

#13 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -

Sorry in southeast Michigan 90% of the politicians are democrats and 95% of the politicians are corrupt. This will just be more of the same.

#14 Posted by Flubbbs (2955 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Brace yourself Detroit, you're about to be emancipated of barbarism and savagery rofl.

what?

#15 Posted by kemar7856 (11506 posts) -
#16 Posted by Aljosa23 (24721 posts) -

The last white person left in Detroit.

good night, sweet prince

#17 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I'll laugh if Detroit returns to the amazing money making machine of the 60s again.

#18 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

I'll laugh if Detroit returns to the amazing money making machine of the 60s again.

It won't.

#19 Edited by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

This is a good decision.

#20 Edited by SheBites (35 posts) -

I can't see a turnaround for Detroit for at least 20 years. It's a complete wreck and one man isn't going to make any kind of difference unless he has superpowers.

#21 Edited by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

@shebites said:

I can't see a turnaround for Detroit for at least 20 years. It's a complete wreck and one man isn't going to make any kind of difference unless he has superpowers.

He's white so...

#22 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -

It will be more interesting on how our dysfunctional city council works with the new mayor. I give it less than a year before the first "your racist" accusation gets thrown out.

#23 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

Detroit's whole economy was based around the manufacture of cars, which have been dramatically downsized and outsourced. A new mayor, now matter how competent, isn't going to change that.

#24 Edited by marcheegsr (2513 posts) -

That's no big deal.

Im from Toronto. My major smokes crack cocaine and is a drunk lol.

#25 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4117 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

It will be more interesting on how our dysfunctional city council works with the new mayor. I give it less than a year before the first "your racist" accusation gets thrown out.

You're probably right. The people in Detroit love to blow up small things to distract from the city's huge problems. Even if Duggan is the greatest mayor of all time, the rest of the government is so corrupt it doesn't really matter. Most of the residents don't give a shit about the well-being of the city as long as they get their handouts. I feel like a douche saying that, but they keep voting crooks back into office. Hell, a ton of people still supported Kwame Kilpatrick after they found out he was stealing from the city. What other explanation is there?

#26 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17136 posts) -

Detroit's whole economy was based around the manufacture of cars, which have been dramatically downsized and outsourced. A new mayor, now matter how competent, isn't going to change that.

You do realize that Detroit has been in the shitter for decades now, right? The whole car industry debacle is not the cause of Detroit's problems...

Hopefully Duggan can at least start some sort of turn around for the city. There is sooo much to be done in that city. Really hope it can get back on it's feet within my lifetime...