Describe your music tastes.

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

Nobody has a taste specific to a certain genre like if I say I like pop, I don't just like pop. I like some 'kind' of pop music and that kind should have 'this' or 'that' elements in it to make it into my playlist.

For me, I like melodic death metal and metal in general. But I have my specific tastes in this genre. Like I don't like much growling and screamo. But if there's a clean chorus in it then that certainly hits the mark for me. To make it more elaborate, I like "Amorphis" style. Just plain growling gets boring for me. Just plain screaming annoys me. If there's a catchy clean sung chorus in it, then that boosts the replayability value of the song for me.

Also I put lyrics above all. If the lyrics suck then no matter how catchy the song is or how perfectly it fits my tastes, I won't give two craps about it. Metal isn't exactly lyric-intensive but there are still some lyrical masterpieces to be found. Metal listeners know it.

So OT, describe your music tastes with examples.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

You're not alone...I effing hate pop music. My taste in music stopped with the mid 90s. Classic Rock and 90s grunge. Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 I_Return

@bforrester420 said:

You're not alone...I effing hate pop music. My taste in music stopped with the mid 90s. Classic Rock and 90s grunge. Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time.

haa good ol' days. Pop these days is just plain bad. But it's hip hop that's declined most seriously. I don't even know what's happened to the music industry. But there still sure are some artists that still make great music. To give you a hint, try out Haken. Their album "Visions" might be something suited to your style. They're progressive metal but you'll like them surely.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Primarily a metal listener.

I have a general preference for death, folk, pagan, thrash, black, and some instrumental stuff (mainly Jeff Loomis and Jason Becker).

I also like general classical and symphonic stuff, as well as a bit of 8-bit and some video game metal covers (boner-inducing guitar).

I also don't really give much attention to the lyrics (unless it's a song or band I really like). I just enjoy a good heavy riff with a bit of melody.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

lately it has been post-rocky noise stuff.

A Silver Mt Zion, for example (A subset of Godspeed You! Black Emperor). ASMZ has lyrics which is different from a lot of post-rock stuff (although they are not keen on the term post-rock, I just can't think of anything better).

Loading Video...

Also bluegrass/folky stuff like John Hartford. And some old-school roots rock like The Band.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

Rock....alternative. Current pop blows. I feel sorry for people that think it's music.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6821 Posts

I don't get too caught up with the genres, but I tend to prefer music that allows me to introspect.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

I like rock. Music with instruments. One of my favorite bands of all time is Deftones -- been with me since junior high. Lyrics are amazing, guitar-riffs are heavy, and Abe on the drums is probably one of the best. I am also a big fan of He Is Legend and Alexisonfire.

During the millenium-shift, I listened to alot of pop-metal/rock like "System of a Down" , "Slipknot" , "KoRn" and so on. I started to dig deeper in the genre, I began to put more time into music and found a new genre on the "punk section". Started to listen to fast-paced punk-music, some fairly pop, others fairly obscure. Screamo, metalcore, post-hardcore. The vocals is key. If the vocal is wrong, I lose interest.

I like metal and rock, and I prefer music with a melody -- can't stand black or death metal without any melody whatsoever... but the bands that incorporate rhytm changing and syncope into their music, has my respect ( Meshuggah ).

@pyro1245 : I am also a great big fan of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Have all their records. My favorites are .... damn, this is hard :p Eh... "Infinity #F #A", i think.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@_Judas_:

Yup. That's it (well F# A# infinity, but you had it all there). I actually just found that one on vinyl the other day, completing my GY!BE collection.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

@pyro1245: great music.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

Western Art Music

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Metal, pop and catchy 80 songs.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Metal, Punk and Ska.

I hate african american music with a passion btw.... it's too weird and gloomy for my taste

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts
@i_return said:

For me, I like melodic death metal and metal in general. But I have my specific tastes in this genre. Like I don't like much growling and screamo. But if there's a clean chorus in it then that certainly hits the mark for me. To make it more elaborate, I like "Amorphis" style. Just plain growling gets boring for me. Just plain screaming annoys me. If there's a catchy clean sung chorus in it, then that boosts the replayability value of the song for me.

Also I put lyrics above all. If the lyrics suck then no matter how catchy the song is or how perfectly it fits my tastes, I won't give two craps about it. Metal isn't exactly lyric-intensive but there are still some lyrical masterpieces to be found. Metal listeners know it.

I tend to like melodic death metal in the vein of Vex or Be'lakor. I'm not the biggest chorus fan. Although if it doesn't sound forced I won't mind. I often don't pay attention to lyrics. I like the approach Be'lakor has; in writing lyrics after they finish the score. This way the lyrics are inspired by landscapes their compositions drew.

There are also concept albums like such as The Bastard by Hammers of Misfortune or Camera Obscura where I listen to some lyrics. But for the most part I just don't listen to lyrics. I'm an atheist who is able to enjoy Schaliach (who I am told sound like old Amorphis).

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

mostly somewhat alternative electronic music.

Think Jon Hopkins, Anoraak, Hercules & Love Affair, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Hudson Mohawke, Flying Lotus, Future Sound of London, Chromesparks, Essay, Azari & III, Motorcity Drum Ensemble, Shit Robot, Tensnake... things like that.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts
Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Extreme metal mixed with classical, jazz and some electronic.

last.fm

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I can like anything, under the right context.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I like hard rock - rock with good, clean drums and rocking guitars. I like singers that actually sing and not scream (although I can tolerate some screaming, as long as it isn't the whole song).

I like Classical - specifically the Romantic and Classical periods, and a little bit of contemporary. I especially like Classical Guitar, as I also play the instrument and have a deep respect for those artists that can perform well.

I like Electronic - trance, melodic dubstep, and progressive breaks (in that order). There really is nothing like hearing a song for the first time with amazing bass and a good beat. Gives me chills every time.

thatnordicguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thatnordicguy
Member since 2014 • 150 Posts

Obscure foreign music. It interests and amuses me and some of it is actually somewhat enjoyable.

Stuff like this:

Loading Video...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Classical, j-pop, and video game music as well as anime official soundtracks are my preferences.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I like death metal (into bands like Suffocation, Katalepsy, Defeated Sanity , but dislike bands like Opeth, Cannibal Corpse, Death). Black metal (anything not Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir). Ambient music and Aphex Twin.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Alternative, punk, industrial, shoegazing, and ambient for me.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 I_Return

@BranKetra said:

Classical, j-pop, and video game music as well as anime official soundtracks are my preferences.

Have you heard Fairy Tail's theme or 'Continued Story' by Hitomi? those two are my favorite.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@i_return said:

@BranKetra said:

Have you heard Fairy Tail's theme or 'Continued Story' by Hitomi? those two are my favorite.

Yes.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I actually like mainstream rock and pop. Of course I'm in the minority because this is GS OT.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

My favorite music consists of: metal, death metal, heavy metal, hard rock, rock, classic rock (CCR), video game music, anime music, and hip hop (not mainstream ones)

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I like power metal. I enjoy the fastness and high pitched voices and yells they will give. I also like how a lot of the lyrics have to do with fantasy/sci-fi stuff too, although it doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good, it's just a plus if it has dragons and stuff.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

DESERT/STONER ROCK ALL THE WAY

THEY ARE LIKE GOOD LOW BUDGET MOVIES THEY ARENT PRODUCED WELL RECORDS SOUNDS LIKE SHIT BUT ITS STILL AWESOME

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
Loading Video...

Currently I'm listening to this track by Chrome Sparks a lot! It's some sort of Glow-fi ambient music, or whatever hipster term is used for it lol, I just simply like it. I like how the song drags itself along, it has a hot summer feel to it and I like the video.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Punk, thrash, and heavy metal are my top grenres, and I value the guitar playing above everything in all of those. It's no surprise that most of my favorite albums are also among my favorite guitar-playing albums like Ramones, British Steel, Master of Puppets, and Reign in Blood.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

Most forms of Heavy/Extreme Metal, i live that music.

90's alternative, you know Depeche Mode, Utah Saints, Kate Bush, Michael Jackson and sooo oon

Undergound/Horrorcore Rap such as Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, King Gordy, Necro

EBM, Industrial, Neo Classical, Dark Ambient/Ambient (Dargaard), Noise, Drone, Classical, some opera

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Electronic music. Mainly Trance and House varieties. I also like video game music, mostly from RPGs.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 I_Return

@WolfgarTheQuiet: rare to see another Immortal Technique fan here. Do you know when his new song will be out or is he out of business? haven't heard anything in a while from him now.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I like everything, including country.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@i_return: Haha i thought this was reply from the other guy who haunts me on these forums if i dont post music he likes lol. man this guy earlier called me crazy for being into this stuff :D

Not sure to be honest, i know he has been doing so much non music work latelly. It was kind of half done in April, so lets hope this year or early next year

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 I_Return

@WolfgarTheQuiet: I love Immortal Technique's songs. His lyrics are sometimes so true that they give me those chills.

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like 80's and early 90's pop music.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Would 'all over the place' be a good description?

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Mostly jazz. Classical (Baroque). And when I'm depressed - country.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 I_Return

@GamingGod999 said:

that would include 1D and JB... think again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

I like the music from Rocky. It makes me feel like Rocky.

This is my alarm clock music.

Loading Video...

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 I_Return

@uninspiredcup: I was waiting for your reply all this time.. worth it.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@i_return said:

@GamingGod999 said:

Except for those two artists. :P

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 I_Return

@GamingGod999 said:

@i_return said:

@GamingGod999 said:

Except for those two artists. :P

and Nicki Minaj?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Well mainly rock, metal, blues and jazz really. Also like some pop, punk, electronica, rap etc..

According to Last.fm my favorite bands are: Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Opeth, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Tom Waits, S.A.R.S., Soundgarden, Gojira, The Doors, Zmelkoow, Led Zeppelin and Leonard Cohen.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Here's a bit of a timeline, with some examples

- I didn't like the classic rock my parents listened to and I started out with ambient and trip-hop (Aphex Twin, Enigma, Portishead, Massive Attack) when I was about 10.

- When I was 13 or so I started raving and getting into some trance (Hardfloor, Yves Deruter, Zombie Nation)

- At 15, I started to listen to rock/blues, mainly for the ease of access (back then, it was a little difficult to get your hands on good euro trance in NA). I then discovered some classic rock that I did like (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rolling Stones, Budgie) as well as some punk (The Ramones, The Clash, Shonen Knife)

- At 20 came progressive rock (QMS, King Crimson, Tool)

Throughout my life, I've never been adverse to the mainstream pop/rock heard on radio and TV. I've also like a lot of OST's in video games (Silent Hill, Black, Halo, Elder Scrolls)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

METAL almost exclusively, I very rarely listen to any other music. I have a a higher tolerance for 80s 90s music when around other people who do not share my taste for metal.

My favorite bands are thrash metal bands like Megadeth, Overkill, Flotsam & Jetsam, Slayer, Anthrax.Death, Voivod,Pantera(not really thrash)

I love power metal too bands like Iced Earth,Dream Theatre,Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Hammerfall.

The Swedish death metal bands of the 90s are awesome too, In Flames,Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, Opeth

More recent bands I like who aren't old school are Trivium, Municipal Waste, Kobra & The Lotus, Soilwork,

Thats enough band naming, basically any Metal is my taste, with a particular interest in Thrash, Power and Melodic Death to be specific.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#50 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i like to listen to Rock, Metal and classical music. I just hate pop in general. There are some tunes i can endure. But mostly i just avoid it