Deja Vu.....Cover Songs and Sundry

#1 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

Since I've reached 150K again here. Not sure how I lost posts with the new site....I didn't post in unions ever...but here we are...I decided to make a music thread based on doing something already done. And I can't complain about the forums if I don't try to spark some conversation. That said....I've tried.

Anyway the theme is cover songs better than the originals.

My choices:

Pearl Jam -- Love Reign O'er me.....just better than the original by The Who

Nirvana -- Man Who Sold The World....though David Bowie is definitely good.

Jeff Buckley -- Hallelujah....sorry Leonard Cohen this version is vastly superior.

Placebo-- I Feel You.....just a bit over the Depeche Mode original.

Jimi Hendrix. -- All Along The Watchtower....originally Bob Dylan....no contest.

The Beatles. -- Twist & Shout.....Isley Brothers original.

The Animals -- House of the Rising Sun....no clue on the original.

The Clash -- I Fought The Law....Bobby Fuller Four....just more dynamic.

Talking Heads -- Take Me To The River....Al Green original.

The Cure -- World In My Eyes....Depeche Mode who I love I swear.

Anyway those are just a few....what say you?

#2 Posted by Korvus (3990 posts) -

I think you're still losing posts...it says 149996 to me.

#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@korvus said:

I think you're still losing posts...it says 149996 to me.

LOL mine says 150,002..this should be 3. This keeps up I'll be a noob again.

#4 Posted by Korvus (3990 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: If this wasn't the flawless, smooth running, quality website that it is, I would dare suggest it is some sort of bug =p

Anyway, sorry for derailing XD Will now listen to all the songs you mentioned in order to atone...

#5 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@korvus said:

@LJS9502_basic: If this wasn't the flawless, smooth running, quality website that it is, I would dare suggest it is some sort of bug =p

Anyway, sorry for derailing XD Will now listen to all the songs you mentioned in order to atone...

That's okay. OT is dead. I'll take anything I can get. At least listen to Hallelujah...it's probably the best on the list.

#6 Edited by solidruss (23752 posts) -

Congrats LJ! Here's to a bajillion more posts from you!

#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@solidruss: Thanks.

But no one liked cover songs? Where is GreySeal when you need him.

#8 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26354 posts) -

Most recently, Willie Nelson's cover of Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe".

#9 Posted by Renevent42 (5326 posts) -

311 - Love Song

#10 Posted by BranKetra (48784 posts) -

LJS9502_basic made a thread. This is incredible.

#11 Edited by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

CONGRATS on the "achievement!"

:P

#12 Posted by harry_james_pot (10947 posts) -

Congrats! :D

#13 Posted by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

I wouldn't say better but different (in a good way):

Elvis Presley--My Way

Les Baxter--Unchained Melody

The Righteous Brothers--Unchained Melody

Elvis Presley--Unchained Melody

U2--Unchained Melody

Gareth Gates--Unchained Melody

#14 Posted by the_plan_man (1560 posts) -

Manfred Mann-Blinded By The Light

#15 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Here's to another 150k

#16 Posted by megagene (23016 posts) -

I don't think it's better, but I think that the NIN cover of "Dead Souls" is on par with the Joy Division original. Also I prefer Sinead O'Connor's version of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U".

Congrats on 150K.... Again. ;p

#17 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@megagene said:

I don't think it's better, but I think that the NIN cover of "Dead Souls" is on par with the Joy Division original. Also I prefer Sinead O'Connor's version of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U".

Congrats on 150K.... Again. ;p

Oh yeah. NIN did a good cover....but Joy Division.....great band.

#18 Edited by GreySeal9 (24510 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@solidruss: Thanks.

But no one liked cover songs? Where is GreySeal when you need him.

Right here. lol.

Anyway, I prefer the Isley Bros Twist & Shout (The Beatles version is too shouty), but I do like Jim Hendrix's All Along The Watch Tower better.

Did you know that The Cure did a Love Will Tear Us Apart cover (of course you did lol)? The instrumental is a bit raw and it's not better than the original, but I'd rather listen to Robert Smith's vocals. More expressive.

Joe Crocker's version of She Came In Through the Bathroom Window is a lot better than the original Beatles tune. Makes the original sound kind of flat TBH.

I actually prefer Siouxsie and The Banshee's version of Dear Prudence better than the original but that's probably because I never actually found it to be one of the stronger Beatles songs. Never found the melody to be very moving.

This is not really a cover but what Tupac did with California Love is so much better than West Coast Pop Lock, which it samples.

Placebo did a fabulous Running Up That Hill cover, but I still prefer the Kate Bush original.

Sia did a gorgeous version of Oh Father, but I still prefer the Madonna original because it has a more haunting atmosphere. Also, I like the sob in the vocals in the original.

And of course Adele did a better version of Lovesong. :P

Nah, just kidding. The Adele version is competent but super boring. Cure version is heaps better.

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@GreySeal9: Yep I have heard The Cure cover of Love Will Keep Us Apart. Like it a lot. Love the Placebo version of Running Up That Hill more than the original.....and yes the Dear Prudence cover by Siouxie and The Banshees. Almost included it here....but my list was getting kind of long.

Never really liked a cover of Lovesong. The original was just perfect. Will check out the other songs you mentioned.

#20 Posted by GreySeal9 (24510 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9: Yep I have heard The Cure cover of Love Will Keep Us Apart. Like it a lot. Love the Placebo version of Running Up That Hill more than the original.....and yes the Dear Prudence cover by Siouxie and The Banshees. Almost included it here....but my list was getting kind of long.

Never really liked a cover of Lovesong. The original was just perfect. Will check out the other songs you mentioned.

Yeah, Lovesong is not really a good song to cover because you can't do much to improve upon or match the intimacy of the original.

#21 Edited by Renevent42 (5326 posts) -

I actually like the original as well, but like 311's version better because it's a little less "emo" and adds some reggae undertones/beat which appeals to me more. I think we can all agree, though, that this is the worst version of it :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/people-who-are-pissed-that-adele-covered-311#qihocw

#22 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (971 posts) -

@geekinkinc said:

CONGRATS on the "achievement!"

:P

#23 Posted by Doozie78 (348 posts) -

Grtz!

Faith No More - War Pigs

#24 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

I wouldn't say better but different (in a good way):

Elvis Presley--My Way

Les Baxter--Unchained Melody

The Righteous Brothers--Unchained Melody

Elvis Presley--Unchained Melody

U2--Unchained Melody

Gareth Gates--Unchained Melody

You seem to love Unchained Melody. :P

#25 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

It says 15K posts, congrats LJ :)

On songs

Nothings gonna change my love for you - glenn mederios - george benson original

I say a little prayer - Diana King - Dionne Waorwick original

#26 Posted by GamingGod999 (3002 posts) -

Sinéad O'Connor - 'Nothing Compares 2U'

Etta James - 'At Last'

#27 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3853 posts) -

I guess we've all lost posts in count limbo :)

Anyway, only one I can think of right now is:

It's much better than the original, even trent reznor himself thinks so.

#28 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

Punch Brothers Reptilia

Better than

The Strokes Reptilia