Death Penalty gone in Illinois

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-death-row-officially-shuts-down-130702311.html

Great as far as I'm concerened, it cost 10 times as much to execute a prisoner as opposed to just keeping them in jail.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
horray
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Good, we don't need an expensive punishment method with no proven benefits in terms of criminal deterrence.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

Good news!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm not a big proponent of the death penalty, so this is good to hear.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Meh. I don't have a deep opposition to the death penalty so whatever.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Meh. I don't have a deep opposition to the death penalty so whatever. DroidPhysX
I feel the same way. The American penal system certainly needs an overhaul, though.
emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

Yeah the more i think about the death penalty the less i like it

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

I could see an argument for the death penalty if you implemented it the way China does it, but for us the costs are just way too high to justify it (not to mention the chance of someone being innocent being executed), so this is a good thing.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 angeldeb82  Online
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
That is such a good thing. Hopefully victims' families may find closure in knowing that the perpetrators are locked up in jail... for good this time.
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

The only reason the death penalty costs so much is because of the appeals.

Get rid of the appeal system (or limit it to one or two appeals max) and it won't cost as much.

The death penalty is a deterrent if it's quick. I mean some people have been on death row since the early 1980s!!!!!

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#12 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Get rid of the appeal system (or limit it to one or two appeals max) and it won't cost as much.

The death penalty is a deterrent if it's quick. I mean some people have been on death row since the early 1980s!!!!!

AHUGECAT

When some one's life is on the line, they have every right to appeal, and make sure that things went properly at every level.

And have you got a source to back up your claim about it being a deterrent?

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
Does this remind anyone of Prison Break? Considering the show was set in Chicago, and Lincon was put on death row :P.
Mr_Snrub_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_Snrub_
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts
Yay. Let's coddle more criminals.
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AHUGECAT

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

BuryMe

When some one's life is on the line, they have every right to appeal, and make sure that things went properly at every level.

Yeah but after one or two appeals that should be enough.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/11/national/main2911428.shtml An Emory University study shows that "each execution deters an average of 18 murders." Makes sense - people don't want to die. If the death penalty wasn't a deterrent then why do so many convicted murderers want to avoid it by plea bargaining or appeals? In prison, murderers are hailed as heroes and celebrities. They fear death. Death is their worst punishment.

Avatar image for StarKiller77000
StarKiller77000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StarKiller77000
Member since 2010 • 267 Posts

Expect violent crimes in Illinois to increase by 10%.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
I don't know how I feel about this. Some criminals deserve to die for their crimes...yet I can't help feeling its an easy way out. Then again, there are plenty of statistics saying that somehow an execution is more expensive then a jail term.
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AHUGECAT

I don't know how I feel about this. Some criminals deserve to die for their crimes...yet I can't help feeling its an easy way out. Then again, there are plenty of statistics saying that somehow an execution is more expensive then a jail term.majoras_wrath

It's not an easy way out if you think about it, because if it was, then more criminals would want the death penalty. In fact it's the opposite - they do what they can to avoid it (by plea bargaining or appeals for example).

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

Your 5 mounths late to the party ot.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]I don't know how I feel about this. Some criminals deserve to die for their crimes...yet I can't help feeling its an easy way out. Then again, there are plenty of statistics saying that somehow an execution is more expensive then a jail term.AHUGECAT

It's not an easy way out if you think about it, because if it was, then more criminals would want the death penalty. In fact it's the opposite - they do what they can to avoid it (by plea bargaining or appeals for example).

Well yeah, because they want to be free period. But I think I'd take death over rotting in solitary confinement all my life any day.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

AHUGECAT

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/11/national/main2911428.shtml An Emory University study shows that "each execution deters an average of 18 murders." Makes sense - people don't want to die. If the death penalty wasn't a deterrent then why do so many convicted murderers want to avoid it by plea bargaining or appeals? In prison, murderers are hailed as heroes and celebrities. They fear death. Death is their worst punishment.

Actually, a broader review of the death penalty literature shows that the results are very inconclusive regarding the deterrence effect of the death penalty. While some studies find a small deterrence effect, others find no deterrence effect, while some even find a small increase in crime in response to the death penalty (which are generally not to imply that the death penalty actually encourages crime, but rather to question the results of studies that do find a deterrence effect).

But I think Levitt provides one of the better arguments against a deterrence effect:

Given the rarity with which executions are carried out in
this country and the long delays in doing so, a rational criminal should not be
deterred by the threat of execution. Despite increases in capital punishment in
recent years, the likelihood of being executed conditional on committing murder
is still less than 1 in 200. Even among those on death row, the annual execution rate
is only 2 percent, or twice the death rate from accidents and violence among all
American men. Among the subsample of individuals engaged in illegal activities,
the death rates are likely to be much higher. Levitt and Venkatesh (2000) report a
death rate of 7 percent annually for street-level drug sellers in the gang they
analyze. Kennedy, Piehl and Braga (1996) estimate violent death rates to be
1–2 percent annually among all gang members in Boston. It is hard to believe the
fear of execution would be a driving force in a rational criminal's calculus in
modern America.

(Source: Understanding Why Crime Fell in the 1990s: Four Factors that Explain the Decline and Six that Do Not, Levitt (2004))

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AHUGECAT

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]When some one's life is on the line, they have every right to appeal, and make sure that things went properly at every level.

chessmaster1989

Actually, a broader review of the death penalty literature shows that the results are very inconclusive regarding the deterrence effect of the death penalty. While some studies find a small deterrence effect, others find no deterrence effect, while some even find a small increase in crime in response to the death penalty (which are generally not to imply that the death penalty actually encourages crime, but rather to question the results of studies that do find a deterrence effect).

But I think Levitt provides one of the better arguments against a deterrence effect:

is still less than 1 in 200. Even among those on death row, the annual execution rate
is only 2 percent, or twice the death rate from accidents and violence among all
the death rates are likely to be much higher. Levitt and Venkatesh (2000) report a
1–2 percent annually among all gang members in Boston. It is hard to believe the
modern America.

(Source: Understanding Why Crime Fell in the 1990s: Four Factors that Explain the Decline and Six that Do Not, Levitt (2004))

Exactly why we need a more efficient death penalty system. It shouldn't take 25 years for someone to finally be executed. Do it in 25 months and you will see a deterrent.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chessmaster1989

Also, AHUGECAT, you may want to read Uses and Abuses of Empirical Evidence in the Death Penalty Debate, Donohue and Wolfers (2006). It points out flaws in several recent studies that found deterrence effects.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

AHUGECAT

modern America.

Exactly why we need a more efficient death penalty system. It shouldn't take 25 years for someone to finally be executed. Do it in 25 months and you will see a deterrent.

But that brings a tradeoff, that as soon as we start reducing the appeals process, we'll inevitably start executing more innocents.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

modern America.

chessmaster1989

But that brings a tradeoff, that as soon as we start reducing the appeals process, we'll inevitably start executing more innocents.

But how many are actually innocent? Somehow I feel that is a lower numbe then is typically portrayed. (again, still undecided but would like to see a proper study)
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AHUGECAT

But how many are actually innocent? Somehow I feel that is a lower numbe then is typically portrayed. (again, still undecided but would like to see a proper study)majoras_wrath

http://www.stopcapitalpunishment.org/coverage/106.html

I believe about 84% of those freed from the death penalty weren't actually innocent, but were released because of legal stuff.

The legal system is very good at weeding out the innocents. Only 0.2% of people are actually exonerated from death row.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#27 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

While i'm pro-death penalty because i do believe some crimes should come with the possible punishment of death.

It is not to the degree that i am abhorrently against getting rid of the Death Penalty either.

but i do feel - admittadly limited knowledge - that the US way dealing with criminals is rather weak.

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AHUGECAT

Also, AHUGECAT, you may want to read Uses and Abuses of Empirical Evidence in the Death Penalty Debate, Donohue and Wolfers (2006). It points out flaws in several recent studies that found deterrence effects.

chessmaster1989

we can see the deterrence effects in countries such as Saudi Arabia and China. No, we shouldn't be as extreme as them lol (I wouldn't support death penalty for narcotic distribution for example), but if we executed faster and more efficiently instead of letting them live on death row for 20 years while they spend thousands if not millions on appeals then we would see a deterrence.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

majoras_wrath

But how many are actually innocent? Somehow I feel that is a lower numbe then is typically portrayed. (again, still undecided but would like to see a proper study)

Hard to say, but given the evidence for a deterrence effect currently is questionable at best, and we don't know how strong the deterrence effect would be if we reduced the time of the appeals process (and how many lives it would save relative to how many innocents would be executed), I don't think it sound policy to reduce the time of the appeals process.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

AHUGECAT

we can see the deterrence effects in countries such as Saudi Arabia and China. No, we shouldn't be as extreme as them lol (I wouldn't support death penalty for narcotic distribution for example), but if we executed faster and more efficiently instead of letting them live on death row for 20 years while they spend thousands if not millions on appeals then we would see a deterrence.

And how many innocents are executed in both of those countries? You think we should look at China as an example, a country where they have mobile execution vans?
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chessmaster1989

AHUGECAT

Perhaps, but what level of deterrence and how would it compare to the increased number of innocents executed? Until you can provide a reasonable empirical answer to both those questions, I will not support "speeding up" the death penalty.

The empirical evidence I've seen for a current deterrence effect has been very shaky at best, whereas the costs to the death penalty are real. Hence, I support abolishing it (also support abolishing it on moral grounds but that's a different issue).

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AHUGECAT

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

chessmaster1989

Perhaps, but what level of deterrence and how would it compare to the increased number of innocents executed? Until you can provide a reasonable empirical answer to both those questions, I will not support "speeding up" the death penalty.

The empirical evidence I've seen for a current deterrence effect has been very shaky at best, whereas the costs to the death penalty are real. Hence, I support abolishing it (also support abolishing it on moral grounds but that's a different issue).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/11/national/main2911428.shtml

"speeding up executions would strengthen the deterrent effect. For every 2.75 years cut from time spent on death row, one murder would be prevented"

We can see the effects in countries such as Saudi Arabia, China, and Singapore all of which have swift death penalty systems. Yeah, they are a little extreme, but the effects on the crime rates cannot be ignored. Remember that only 1 out of 300 murderers are actually given the death penalty, and when they are, they usually stretch it out to about 15-20 years before they are finally executed. It can't be a deterrent if it never happens.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

AHUGECAT

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/11/national/main2911428.shtml

"speeding up executions would strengthen the deterrent effect. For every 2.75 years cut from time spent on death row, one murder would be prevented"

We can see the effects in countries such as Saudi Arabia, China, and Singapore all of which have swift death penalty systems. Yeah, they are a little extreme, but the effects on the crime rates cannot be ignored. Remember that only 1 out of 300 murderers are actually given the death penalty, and when they are, they usually stretch it out to about 15-20 years before they are finally executed. It can't be a deterrent if it never happens.

So, reducing the average death row time from, say, 20 years to 2 years will reduce the number of murders by 6.5? No offense, but I find it very hard to believe that that result is robust. The number is just so small that it seems ridiculous.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Good, it's time America caught up to the rest of the civilized world and outlaws the death penalty completely.
e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts

Now if only Texas could get rid ot it, but who am I kidding. As much as I love this state, it has some hardcore republicans that think killing is going to solve problems. :roll:

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

AHUGECAT

modern America.

Capital punishment at that speed would lead to alot of innocents being killed and would be streamlining us towards China's system....

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I don't care if people who are no use get killed. I guess if it costs a lot fo money to kill them (for some reason), then it's better to keep them alive.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
that is swell
Good-Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Good-Apollo
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
I wonder if people would still be against the death penalty if a particularly abhorrent crime were to happen to someone they cared about. Huh?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

majoras_wrath

Well in the case of Illinois we've actually freed more men that were wrongly convicted and sent to death row than we've executed.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I wonder if people would still be against the death penalty if a particularly abhorrent crime were to happen to someone they cared about. Huh?Good-Apollo

Yes, I would. But even if I wanted the person executed in such a case my emotions are irrelevant.

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts
I wonder if people would still be against the death penalty if a particularly abhorrent crime were to happen to someone they cared about. Huh?Good-Apollo
Yup, I would. I'm not a terribly spiteful person, though.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#43 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]I don't know how I feel about this. Some criminals deserve to die for their crimes...yet I can't help feeling its an easy way out. Then again, there are plenty of statistics saying that somehow an execution is more expensive then a jail term.AHUGECAT

people dont think rationally when blinded by anger or something like that, only psycopaths wouldnt mind at all...death penalty, as means of deterrent is useless simply because people who are making the crime are not thinking about consequences by the time they are doing it
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
And then it's found out a couple of years after the execution that they were innocent in the first place.