Dave Special Report: No American Flags on my Watch

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dave123321  Online
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

read the shocking news here

"Officials at a Northern California high school acted appropriately when they ordered students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn the garments inside out during the Mexican heritage celebration Cinco de Mayo, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the officials' concerns of racial violence outweighed students' freedom of expression rights. Administrators feared the American-flag shirts would enflame the passions of Latino students celebrating the Mexican holiday. Live Oak High School, in the San Jose suburb of Morgan Hill, had a history of problems between white and Latino students on that day."

Pretty soon i'm guessing English will be up for grabs

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dave123321  Online

gamespot gamespot why cant I post a fucking picture for fucks sake

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I think these days America is seen as a culture-less nation, where patriotism is pro-imperialism and xenophobic. They call us "flag wavers" as an insult. Ride around with an American flag and be laughed at.....any other country's flag and you are just "honoring your culture."

Saying that....these kids need to lighten up and be Mexican for a day, no different than St. Patrick's Day irish for a day. American adults join in on the fun of these holidays brought here by immigrants to us to meld into our culture. There is no need to defy or protest the holiday by wearing an American flag, it just sends a bad message.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Oh well. I don't care much for CA politics. I fly mine by the lakeshore cabin. I also have one at the front porch of the house. But, I usually display the latter during holidays only.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

they only did it because it was a bunch of assholes that only wear flag t shirts one day of the year to protest some other culture.

**** a bunch of hicks that were only using the flag as an attack.

that is more disrespectful of the flag than anything i can possibly imagine.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Why does the most fun state make the most stupid decisions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@vfibsux: In which countries do you hear more about "The Flag" than the US? It's an actual question, since I'm not all that well traveled but from the countries I have visited flags are normally a Football World Cup kind of thing...nobody ever makes a big fuss about flags one way or another.

Or did you mean "other countries' flags" IN the US?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Riverwolf007: If they were only wearing it that one day out of the year as a coordinated thing then yeah, that's kinda trolling for attention. I don't like clothes made to look like the flag, it actually kind of sullies it in my view. But I was in JROTC all four years of HS, so I have respect for the flag ingrained in me from that. If any of us ever wore a shirt of the American flag Gunny Martin would have skinned us alive.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Mexicans don't really celebrate Cinco de Mayo, it's probably more celebrated by Americans as a day to go out and get crunked off margaritas and tequila shots, Mexican beer, and (heaven forbid, CUBAN) mojitos. It's no really different than non-religious people celebrating Fat Tuesday / Mardi Gras debauchery even though they don't observe Lent, people who celebrate Saint Patricks day as mainly a day to go get shitfaced. Seems like taking issue with the shirt would be unnecessary, unless the school somehow had good reason to believe the student wore it with the intention of be adversarial, and being it's North Carolina I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Dave, learn to post pictures, newb.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Riverwolf007

@Randolph: this exact same news story in various california high schools has come up once a year like clockwork for at least the last 5 years so i know without doubt this is just some little jerks trolling the mexicans at their school.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dave123321  Online

@airshocker: I click on the img thing in the editor then it just grays out and doesn't do anything after that. I'm beside myself

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Good thing. I'm sure if I showed up in my finest red white blue attire those passionate students would show me a fiesta of fists.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

the school did because they was receiving threats. they only did it to try avoid any students getting injured.

now I think police should step and in crack down on it

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I wonder, would they have told any students to remove any Mexican flag apparel on Independence Day?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

this is not suprising coming from cesspool California

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Once again, political correctness strikes again. It's sad that the school had to give in be a pussy over fears of violence being arisen from a few "offended" dumbasses being pissed over the American flag being displayed in the United States. Jesus, this makes me wanna run into a busy intersection.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

this is why uniforms are good ideas in schools. you're there to learn, not try to make a point. save your fake activism for college.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vfibsux

@Korvus85 said:

@vfibsux: In which countries do you hear more about "The Flag" than the US? It's an actual question, since I'm not all that well traveled but from the countries I have visited flags are normally a Football World Cup kind of thing...nobody ever makes a big fuss about flags one way or another.

Or did you mean "other countries' flags" IN the US?

Not sure which flag reference you are speaking of since I stated the word "flag" several times in my post. I am assuming you are talking about my last statement. People who have the flag from wherever they are from hanging from their mirror or whatever, or on a hat, shirt, etc. Typically it is hispanics. I was just pointing out that when they do it here in America it is all good, but God forbid you wear a shirt with an American flag or you are probably some dirty "redneck Republican." Just the stereotype I see these days far too often.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@vfibsux said:

Not sure which flag reference you are speaking of since I stated the word "flag" several times in my post. I am assuming you are talking about my last statement. People who have the flag from wherever they are from hanging from their mirror or whatever, or on a hat, shirt, etc. Typically it is hispanics. I was just pointing out that when they do it here in America it is all good, but God forbid you wear a shirt with an American flag or you are probably some dirty "redneck Republican." Just the stereotype I see these days far too often.

I would never discriminate against anyone because decide to display their flag, but I will admit that when I lived in Portugal I would see flags from other countries and think "cool, foreigners" and saw the flag as their reminder of "home" so when I saw Portuguese flags (quite uncommon, I might add) I'd think "yeah, you're Portuguese like most people here, what's your point?". Funnily enough, now that I live in the Netherlands, whenever I see a Portuguese flag I go "Cool, Portuguese people!!" =P

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vfibsux

@Korvus85 said:

@vfibsux said:

I would never discriminate against anyone because decide to display their flag, but I will admit that when I lived in Portugal I would see flags from other countries and think "cool, foreigners" and saw the flag as their reminder of "home" so when I saw Portuguese flags (quite uncommon, I might add) I'd think "yeah, you're Portuguese like most people here, what's your point?". Funnily enough, now that I live in the Netherlands, whenever I see a Portuguese flag I go "Cool, Portuguese people!!" =P

Yea I don't care either, I am always interested to know where someone is from. But like I said, when I get frowned upon for wearing my flag in my own country something is wrong. This is why Colbert is so popular with the left, he mocks patriotism. Wear an American flag and you are probably a "teabagger, gun toting, bible thumping redneck."

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

but muh freedums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b797108c254e
@vfibsux said:

Yea I don't care either, I am always interested to know where someone is from. But like I said, when I get frowned upon for wearing my flag in my own country something is wrong. This is why Colbert is so popular with the left, he mocks patriotism. Wear an American flag and you are probably a "teabagger, gun toting, bible thumping redneck."

Yeah, that's stupid. Maybe some of them are, but generalisations are always a bad thing...if they're not harming anyone and they want to show they're proud of their country, I say go for it...

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

School got oversensitive, unless if those teenagers were known to be troublemakers.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

The decision is stupid. American culture supersedes foreign culture on American soil. The decision to make the students turn their shirts inside out is an act of treason and should be punishable by death. Shame abounds.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Riverwolf007

@vfibsux said:

@Korvus85 said:

@vfibsux said:

or perhaps a patriotic person would read the flag code and know that using the flag as apparel is disrespectful and unacceptable.

section 8 d.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Riverwolf007 said:

or perhaps a patriotic person would read the flag code and know that using the flag as apparel is disrespectful and unacceptable.

Wow, you guys have a code specific for the flag? You really take it seriously, don't you? Live and learn, I guess. Never knew this...

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Riverwolf007

@Korvus85: i would imagine every country has one since flag display has a lot to do with diplomacy.

there would be display rules at embassies and such all over the world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Riverwolf007: Maybe, but in Portugal you can even knit the flag into butt pillows and nobody cares. It pretty much equals a "Made in Portugal" stamp. Like I said earlier, mostly you only see flags on Football World Cups and on touristic souvenirs.

EDIT: Holy crap, you're right =P We do have rules for hoisting the flag, folding it, etc. It's not treated anywhere near as sacred as the US flag, but still, the code is there. Never knew that either. Shame on me =P

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Riverwolf007

here is a few.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1359048153800/1359048247377

http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/flying-flags-in-the-united-kingdom/british-flag-protocol/

http://www.australianflag.org.au/

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Riverwolf007

@Korvus85: lol, well it's not held very sacred or anything.

people screw it up all the time.

what's funny is just like in this case it is the people that are all into the flag that screw it up the most.

sporting events are always displaying the flag laid flat and super patriotic people are always putting it in truck windows and putting pictures and slogans and messages on it.

it's not a big deal.

as evidenced here most of the bigtime flag wavers have no clue there is any such thing as flag etiquette.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I really dont understand the people who cant see that the whole purpose those kids whore American flag shirts was solely for the purpose to trash and start some shit against the Mexicans.

How would you like it if mexicans came in with Mexican propaganda on a 4th of July celebration?

Its simple.

Also, anyone finds it messed up that it is against the law in the US to have a flag other than the American in front of your home? What happened to that freedom of expression/speech?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Riverwolf007

@Nengo_Flow said:

I really dont understand the people who cant see that the whole purpose those kids whore American flag shirts was solely for the purpose to trash and start some shit against the Mexicans.

How would you like it if mexicans came in with Mexican propaganda on a 4th of July celebration?

Its simple.

Also, anyone finds it messed up that it is against the law in the US to have a flag other that the American in front of your home? What happened to that freedom of expression/speech?

i would have to see that law in writing before i would believe it exists.

i'm not saying it does not because i have never looked it up.

but i flat out don't believe that unless i see some proof.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

The decision is stupid. American culture supersedes foreign culture on American soil. The decision to make the students turn their shirts inside out is an act of treason and should be punishable by death. Shame abounds.

But American culture is inferior to Mexican culture.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Riverwolf007

lol, holy shit i found one.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/20/navarrette.flag/

what the hell happened to you cali?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vfibsux

@Riverwolf007 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Korvus85 said:

@vfibsux said:

section 8 d.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

Your reading comprehension needs some work.....this is for an ACTUAL flag, not a drawing of it on a T-shirt. The story is about wearing shirts with U.S. flags on them, no one is suggesting wearing a freaking flag. I am military, I don't need some GS-OT smart ass to tell me the rules of MY flag.

In the end you know what my f'ing point was so don't change the subject. You no doubt are on the side of those I am speaking of.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vfibsux

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Get a new schtick man. We get it, you hate America.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 themajormayor

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Hahaha. No I don't hate America at all.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vfibsux

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

You have negative shit to say in every topic regarding my country, how else is one to take it? Or are you just trolling?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

You have negative shit to say in every topic regarding my country, how else is one to take it? Or are you just trolling?

I just think alot of Americans need to open their eyes a bit more and realize that there is a big world outside of their country. I think the same about the people in Sweden, maybe even more so. But I'm not posting on a Swedish forum cause I wouldn't stand it. YUCK! It could probably be said about the citizens of most countries, but most non-Americans on here seems to be comparatively open minded. And I find it peculiar that you didn't show a reaction to the post calling for the death of people who said that the people should turn their shirts inside out..

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/20/navarrette.flag/

Pahrump NV have 30,000 residents? Wow. I've been gone from my home state too long. Last I remembered, there were maybe a couple thousand residents there. My hometown (much farther north) used to have more people.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vfibsux

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@vfibsux said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I just think alot of Americans need to open their eyes a bit more and realize that there is a big world outside of their country. I think the same about the people in Sweden, maybe even more so. But I'm not posting on a Swedish forum cause I wouldn't stand it. YUCK! It could probably be said about the citizens of most countries, but most non-Americans on here seems to be comparatively open minded. And I find it peculiar that you didn't show a reaction to the post calling for the death of people who said that the people should turn their shirts inside out..

I have no idea what post you are talking about, but I made it clear what my stance was on this subject. If you are just wearing a US shirt to provoke or protest it is stupid. Everyone can enjoy the holiday, that is what America is about. You are supposed to bring your culture here and meld it into what we already have, that is what makes us who we are. What I don't like is the double standard that exists regarding this issue.

Anyway, about Americans...it is more perception than reality. Most Americans love other cultures and visiting other countries, just because they can't point every country out on a map doesn't mean disrespect for it being there. We have ignorant people here who don't even know what the capitol of our country is, why should they know where yours is? Just the same they are typically fascinated enough to go and visit it.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

9th "Circus" Court of Appeals strikes again...

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Should never be punished wearing something with the American flag on it in no time or place on American soil.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I will wear what a wear and if you don't like it come at me, bro.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts

It seems like some douchbags just trying to start shit. Pathetic.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Korvus85 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

Wow, you guys have a code specific for the flag? You really take it seriously, don't you? Live and learn, I guess. Never knew this...

One thing you have to realize about the US Flag Code is that it is a suggestion but not mandatory. Unless you are in the military you cannot be legally punished for breaking the Flag Code because of the First Amendment. That is why you see people like the Westboro Baptist Church flying the flag upside down and stomping on it, or why you have Spike Lee burning the US Flag into the shape of an X in the opening of the movie Malcolm X, or why you have pictures of Bill Hicks lighting a cigarette with a burning flag.

On the other hand, you have a place like Brazil that makes it illegal to disrespect their flag in any way. A few years ago WWE wrestler Chris Jericho was almost arrested because he disrespected their flag during a house show to get over with his heel (villain) role and get the audience to boo him. He ended up being forced to apologize to the crowd by the police so he wouldn't get arrested.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vfibsux

Yea you can intentionally disrespect the flag in any manner you want in the U.S. and it is considered freedom of speech. Not sure that is what our forefathers had in mind with freedom of speech but oh well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ad1x2: I understand it's not mandatory, but you do hear a lot (at least on US selective news in Europe) about people going ape-shit because somebody "disrespected the flag", while most people over here wouldn't care. I'm assuming there's also plenty of people there who don't care; like I said, selective news...

Never knew about Brasil though, poor Jericho =P