Dark Knight Rises kinda sucks.(SPOILERS)

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by huerito323 (1337 posts) -

I loved Batman Begins and Dark Knight. But this one has some major issues that kept me from enjoying it. Once the end credits appeared, I asked myself, "this was a Batman movie?". There wasn't enough Batman. The movie was over 2 hours long, and we got about 20 minutes of Batman. My favorite part of the movie was Bane, I think Tom Hardy was awesome as Bane and I liked the voice. But then my favorite part of the movie is completely destroyed at the end of the movie. Bane wasn't as awesome as we thought. Throughout the whole movie, I was injected in my head that it was him that escaped that inescapable prison that is supposedly a hell hole. But all along, it was a woman(Talia) that Bruce barely knew and trusted. Then Bane is killed by catwoman in a blink of a second. WOW. Talia then dies in a car crash, and all Batman has to do is take the bomb as far away as possible.

I want to know, how in the blue hell did Bruce Wayne get to Gotham City??? He was in other side of the country, in the middle of no where! He's broke, all his friends are in Gotham City and can't help him because Gotham City is held hostage by Bane and no one is allowed to enter or leave. This just doesn't make any damn sense. Batman didn't do a damn thing, all he did was trust people that kept screwing him(catwoman), and he didn't even have to deal with the villains because they died in the dumbest way possible.

What a huge disappointment. It blows my mind how people call this the best of the series. This movie was clearly rushed.

#2 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

What a huge disappointment. It blows my mind how people call this the best of the series. This movie was clearly rushed.

Almost everyone agrees The Dark Knight was the best.

#3 Edited by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

Yes it does. And you didn't talk about:

• When the cops get out of the tunnel and start rushing the mercenaries the mercenaries inexplicably instead OF USING THEIR GUNS AND SHOOT, they start running towards the cops for hand to hand combat.
  • The fact of how JGL discovers that Bruce Wayne is Batman, because you see, he saw the sadness in his eyes and then he knew, HE KNEW!!!
  • The fact that one of, if not the most important rules Batman has is the no gun rule yet he is only mildly inconvenienced when Catwoman cannons the hell out of Bane.
  • And much much more.

You are only like a year late and this discussion has already been had.

#4 Posted by huerito323 (1337 posts) -

• When the cops get out of the tunnel and start rushing the mercenaries the mercenaries inexplicably instead OF USING THEIR GUNS AND SHOOT, they start running towards the cops for hand to hand combat.
  • The fact of how JGL discovers that Bruce Wayne is Batman, because you see, he saw the sadness in his eyes and then he knew, HE KNEW!!!
  • The fact that one of, if not the most important rules Batman has is the no gun rule yet he is only mildly inconvenienced when Catwoman cannons the hell out of Bane.
  • And much much more.

Yes, those are other dumb things that happened. I know I'm late, but I just saw the movie last night so I wanted to post my thoughts.

#5 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -

Don't listen to master live. He lives in the moment and doesn't hold the past as importantly as we do

#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25293 posts) -

K.

#7 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27837 posts) -

In this thread I am going to complain about how flawed Rises is while ignoring the major issues of The Dark Knight.

#8 Edited by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

Don't listen to master live. He lives in the moment and doesn't hold the past as importantly as we do

Ok Dave, you have to explain that one to me. WTF are you talking about?

#9 Posted by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

In this thread I am going to complain about how flawed Rises is while ignoring the major issues of The Dark Knight.

TDK has issues but they weren't evident, at least to me, as I was watching the movie. I can literally find an issue with almost all if not all movies I have ever seen but if they don't distract me as I'm enjoying the movie then that is that. Some of the OP issues, the one I mentioned and many more I haven't were evident as was watching the movie and took away from my enjoyment.

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (85306 posts) -

About 3/4's of the way through my first time was when it started it's sharp downhill. Had the movie stopped there, I would have been fine. But after Bane locked the cops underground, then it just got stupid. The movie should have ended with a glorious rooftop battle between Bane and Batman.

I watched it again several weeks ago and it left the same sour taste in my mouth. My expectations were also very purposefully limited knowing how much I loved The Dark Knight... but I still ended up disliking it. I hope Nolan doesn't get to touch Batman again, because Rises ruined it for me. I'm not looking forward to Afleck as Batman, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him and Supes.

#11 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27837 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

TDK has issues but they weren't evident, at least to me, as I was watching the movie. I can literally find an issue with almost all if not all movies I have ever seen but if they don't distract me as I'm enjoying the movie then that is that. Some of the OP issues, the one I mentioned and many more I haven't were evident as was watching the movie and took away from my enjoyment.

The Dark Knight's sloppy writing is almost enough to hinder my enjoyment.

I'd say it's just as sloppy as Rises.

#12 Posted by LittleMac19 (1521 posts) -

Nah, Liam Neeson and his short cameo made the movie watchable for me.

#13 Posted by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Ok I will bite, how so?

#14 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -

don't encourage him

#15 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25293 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Ok I will bite, how so?

"Hey guys, lets be super vigilant and on alert to find the Joker and his bombs...but not check the lower deck of the ship we are going to use to transport thousands of citizens outside of the city!"

#16 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -

we can discuss stuff discussed before is my point ml

#17 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (27837 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Ok I will bite, how so?

What Saint said.

I've said it a countless number of times, but everything involving The Joker feels like something written out of some routine heist flick. There's very little logic to whatever he does.

Both films operate on flimsy writing.

#18 Posted by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Ok I will bite, how so?

"Hey guys, lets be super vigilant and on alert to find the Joker and his bombs...but not check the lower deck of the ship we are going to use to transport thousands of citizens outside of the city!"

True. But gotta say I was so caught up with the movie I wasn't thinking about that at the moment. Some other moments you can think about afterwards

• Highly unlikely someone would die by sticking a pencil down an eye socket.
  • For a guy without much of a crew and short on time, how did he managed to perfectly implode a hospital?
  • Why is it that when transporting Dent on the convoy and they see the firetruck burning up Gordon's first thought is to go underground then forgoing air cover? You can clearly see their path over ground wasn't totally blocked.

#19 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -

Heat of the moment

#20 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (416 posts) -

I think most of this would have been forgiven if Bruce died at the end of the movie like they made it appear had happened. Then the whole Alfred dream crap came true with him sitting at a table with Catwoman. A could have been a powerful ending ruined imo.

#21 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

I thought it was pretty bad to but it didn't surprise me cause TDK had its questionable moments to

#22 Posted by one_plum (6096 posts) -

I think most of this would have been forgiven if Bruce died at the end of the movie like they made it appear had happened. Then the whole Alfred dream crap came true with him sitting at a table with Catwoman. A could have been a powerful ending ruined imo.

I disagree. I think the ending scene shows that he finally got over Rachel's death and the pessimism about his own fate.

#23 Posted by huerito323 (1337 posts) -

Not saying TDK was perfect, but there was nothing as outlandish as TDKR. Gotham City being held hostage was a huge part of the story line. The fact that Bruce was able to get there with no problem made the whole story seem stupid. Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, is that when he gets to Gotham City, the first person he interacts with is Catwoman, and yet, he already knows that the bomb is going to explode the next day. LOL. How would he know? This is something really important that can affect what Bruce had in mind when coming back. The fact that he only has until tomorrow to fix everything is pretty huge. But for some reason, he already knows. He's completely calm and he once again trusts the person who screwed him and was the cause of him being sent to the prison in the first place!!! smh. This movie made Batman look like a complete moron.

#24 Posted by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

Not saying TDK was perfect, but there was nothing as outlandish as TDKR. Gotham City being held hostage was a huge part of the story line. The fact that Bruce was able to get there with no problem made the whole story seem stupid. Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, is that when he gets to Gotham City, the first person he interacts with is Catwoman, and yet, he already knows that the bomb is going to explode the next day. LOL. How would he know? This is something really important that can affect what Bruce had in mind when coming back. The fact that he only has until tomorrow to fix everything is pretty huge. But for some reason, he already knows. He's completely calm and he once again trusts the person who screwed him and was the cause of him being sent to the prison in the first place!!! smh. This movie made Batman look like a complete moron.

Only the fact that he gets to Gotham City 24 or so before the bomb goes off is mind boggling enough. Sometimes I get so angry at Heath Ledger for dying, but then again, I'm not his daughter.

#25 Posted by moix123 (67 posts) -

@huerito323 said:

Only the fact that he gets to Gotham City 24 or so before the bomb goes off is mind boggling enough. Sometimes I get so angry at Heath Ledger for dying, but then again, I'm not his daughter.

Well Heath Ledger was a legend. Even though i m not his son too but still.. man.

#26 Edited by sukraj (20600 posts) -

I prefer dark knight any day of the week.

#27 Posted by Planeforger (15319 posts) -

I don't understand the complaints about Bruce getting back into Gotham.

I mean,we're talking about a guy who survived travelling the world without any money, connections or crazy ninja training during his youth (remember the beginning of the first film?). Getting back into his home city with any two of the three of those things would be pretty easy for him.

#28 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22014 posts) -

i still say batman begins is the better movie of the three.

#32 Posted by KHAndAnime (12718 posts) -

• And much much more.

The bolded particularly killed the movie for me. It's as if they stopped trying and were just like..."Ok...cops versus the bad guys in the streets...now run at eachother!". Made no sense and was stupid as shit. I was hoping Christopher Nolan could've done better.

#33 Edited by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@Master_Live said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Ok I will bite, how so?

True. But gotta say I was so caught up with the movie I wasn't thinking about that at the moment. Some other moments you can think about afterwards

• Highly unlikely someone would die by sticking a pencil down an eye socket.
  • For a guy without much of a crew and short on time, how did he managed to perfectly implode a hospital?
  • Why is it that when transporting Dent on the convoy and they see the firetruck burning up Gordon's first thought is to go underground then forgoing air cover? You can clearly see their path over ground wasn't totally blocked.

1. There's also the fact that he banged his head extremely hard on the table. I don't think it's even made clear whether that guy actually died or not.

2. I'm getting really tired of people trying to point out the illogical actions of a character who isn't meant to be understood logically. He even has a whole speech about it to Dent. It's like watching Blue Velvet and questioning how Frank is doing everything he is able to do.

3. This one I can't explain so it could be looked at as a flaw or if you want just a heat of the moment kind of thing.

#34 Posted by Aljosa23 (23618 posts) -

Yeah it's pretty bad but then again so is every other film/show that caters towards some kind of nerd fandom.

#35 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10331 posts) -

I'd like to mention that I consider Batman Begins to be the best in the trilogy.

#36 Edited by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

I'd like to mention that I consider Batman Begins to be the best in the trilogy.

IMO TDK>Begins>>TDKR.

#37 Edited by chaplainDMK (6504 posts) -

@KHAndAnime: Also weren't the police gunned down at some point without any blood, just white puffs?

#38 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10331 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

IMO TDK>Begins>>TDKR.

Here's my order and an explanation.

1. Batman Begins

2. The Dark Knight

3. The Dark Knight Rises

In terms of quality (i.e. storytelling, acting, cinematography, etc.), Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are equal. However, in terms of subject matter, I prefer Batman Begins, because it's a true BATman film. Batman Begins shows Bruce actually communing with bats, explains why he chooses to use them as his symbol, and shows him engaging in behavior traditionally associated with his character (i.e. hanging upside down, crouching in the shadows, standing on gargoyles while shrouded in his cape, snatching up enemies from above, etc). I also like the emotional dialogue sequences between him and Alfred, as well as some of the dialogue sequences between him and Ra's Al Ghul ("Surely a man who spends his nights running on rooftops wouldn't begrudge me duel identities.").

The Dark Knight Rises is the worst for reasons already explained by other users, though it does have some of the best moments in the trilogy, such as the fight between Batman and Bane.

#39 Posted by Master_Live (12305 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

IMO TDK>Begins>>TDKR.

Here's my order and an explanation.

1. Batman Begins

2. The Dark Knight

3. The Dark Knight Rises

In terms of quality (i.e. storytelling, acting, cinematography, etc.), Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are equal. However, in terms of subject matter, I prefer Batman Begins, because it's a true BATman film. Batman Begins shows Bruce actually communing with bats, explains why he chooses to use them as his symbol, and shows him engaging in behavior traditionally associated with his character (i.e. hanging upside down, crouching in the shadows, standing on gargoyles while shrouded in his cape, snatching up enemies from above, etc). I also like the emotional dialogue sequences between him and Alfred, as well as some of the dialogue sequences between him and Ra's Al Ghul ("Surely a man who spends his nights running on rooftops wouldn't begrudge me duel identities.")

No film can a be totally true Batman film when he lets the villain die, that what a huge mistake by Nolan.

#40 Posted by redstorm72 (4490 posts) -

Aren't you a bit late? "The Dark Knight Rises sucks" hipster train left months ago.

On topic, I still think TDKR is better than Batman Begins. Raz Al Ghol's plan was even more absurd than Bane's. Yeah, I totally believe that releasing fear gas via some micro wave emitter in Gotham will bring about the end of decadent western civilization. Considering that Luscious came up with an antidote in about 5 minutes, it wasn't that threatening a plan. Also, I never really understood why people harped on the gap between Batman getting out of the prison and back to Gotham. It never seemed like a critically important part of the plot to me.

#41 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07: I thought so to. TDK hype came mostly from heath ledgers performance

#42 Edited by Bardock47 (5073 posts) -

Thank god I'm not the only one, here I thought I was the only one that hated TDKR. I didn't even hype it up, I was expecting a solid movie in general thats it. And it didn't live up to that

1. There is no fucking batman in the batman movie
  2. However, Bruce could be interesting. He is stuck in a pit for over a third of the movie for training montages, so it gets dull.
  3. A good movie with a similar idea is Iron Man 3 (excluding Mandarin controversy). Why? Because they give Stark something interesting to do until he suits up again. He isn't stuck in a hole in a training/recovery montage
  4. So since there is no Batman, it is basically a Cop movie about JGL (Robin) stopping a super-terrorist.
  5. This idea could of had potential though. Why not have had JGL shown the Batcave sooner, he could have gone back and used that equipment to become Nightwing (Because Nolan/Bale questionably dislike the character of Robin, it'd make sense to skip to the 'edgier' and 'not robin cop out' of Nightwing)
  6. Only issue is the lack of training...but at least it would be much more interesting to watch him learn as he goes...better than no superhero in the superhero movie.
  7. This would leave the end set up for Nightwing to take the mantle much cooler.
  8. Also, the plot twist was pretty lame. It took alot away from Bane, made him seem like a simple thug in the overall scheme.
  9. Not to mention, Bane talking about how he was 'Born in darkness...molded by it' was a cool speech but was purposefully a red herring simply for the audiance. Bane has no reason to make Bruce think he was the one that escaped the pit.
  10. Also, why didn't they blow the bomb as soon as they saw the cops escape or batman. At that point Bane had made him watch his city crumble, so any enjoyment of Bruce's torture should pass.
  11. Catwoman/Batman romance was forced as hell. Its something that could had worked if done right.
  12. Liam Neeson cameo was a missed opportunity for an actual Lazerus Pit reveal, showing that Gotham will always need a protector.
  13. It was overly long and bloated for what little it offered.
  14. End climax was just an obligatory action set piece that was just there.

I could go on and and on, but this movie was just so dissapointing. It had its moments ( Opening Bane scene was great) and the acting was great across the board (save for Talia's death scene, that kinda blew)...but those are realy the only things I liked about it. The score was pretty good as well.

Honestly, I don't know why it gets so much praise either.

#43 Posted by lamprey263 (21022 posts) -

I don't think it was rushed, I think Nolan just stopped caring.

#44 Posted by iwilson1296 (2184 posts) -

my least favorite of the three

#45 Edited by Brain_Duster (313 posts) -

Stand up. There you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?

#46 Edited by GamingTitan (417 posts) -

yeah it was just formulaic cliche garbage. My 7 year old son could write a more interesting script~

#47 Edited by betamaxx83 (335 posts) -

Batman Begins was the best in my opinion. It was all about Batman, and had one of the best action sequences in any movie when the Tumbler was escaping the cops.

It also had incredible character development. I like The Dark Knight it's awesome too, but Batman Begins just was a better written plot.

#48 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (445 posts) -

I loved Batman Begins and Dark Knight. But this one has some major issues that kept me from enjoying it. Once the end credits appeared, I asked myself, "this was a Batman movie?". There wasn't enough Batman. The movie was over 2 hours long, and we got about 20 minutes of Batman. My favorite part of the movie was Bane, I think Tom Hardy was awesome as Bane and I liked the voice. But then my favorite part of the movie is completely destroyed at the end of the movie. Bane wasn't as awesome as we thought. Throughout the whole movie, I was injected in my head that it was him that escaped that inescapable prison that is supposedly a hell hole. But all along, it was a woman(Talia) that Bruce barely knew and trusted. Then Bane is killed by catwoman in a blink of a second. WOW. Talia then dies in a car crash, and all Batman has to do is take the bomb as far away as possible.

I want to know, how in the blue hell did Bruce Wayne get to Gotham City??? He was in other side of the country, in the middle of no where! He's broke, all his friends are in Gotham City and can't help him because Gotham City is held hostage by Bane and no one is allowed to enter or leave. This just doesn't make any damn sense. Batman didn't do a damn thing, all he did was trust people that kept screwing him(catwoman), and he didn't even have to deal with the villains because they died in the dumbest way possible.

You want to know HOW he got back there?

#49 Posted by Santesyu (4275 posts) -

You keep saying this wasn't a batman movie the guy had his back nearly broken, to put batman out of all people out of service to that degree is pretty impressive regardless. But besides that kinda depressig, a person that truly understood batman his mentor he chose not to save. A person who could do a better job then batman ever could went insane, then you have a person who is willing to do anything and everything to see you tick and how you tick. Give the 3rd movie a break considering all he went through.

#50 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1336 posts) -

@huerito323: you're right, it was kinda boring. knowing it was the final part in a trilogy didn't help it either because you knew the Batman would win in the end. An even though we know Batman always wins, this movie didn't captivate me the way the first two did.

in Nolan's universe, Bane sucks. so does Catwoman.