Court Strikes Down Virginia Gay Marriage Ban.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

Court strikes down Va. gay marriage ban

From the article:

A federal court struck down Virginia’s gay marriage ban Thursday night, the latest in a series of decisions invalidating state laws against same-sex marriage.

The decision also carried the symbolism of bringing gay marriage to the birthplace of Loving v. Virginia, the 1967 Supreme Court case striking down interracial marriage bans.

Judge Arenda L. Wright Allen of U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia ruled that the amendment to the state constitution banning gay marriage violated the U.S. Constitution’s Due Process and Equal Protection clauses.

“Gay and lesbian individuals share the same capacity as heterosexual individuals to form, preserve and celebrate loving, intimate and lasting relationships,” Wright Allen wrote. “Such relationships are created through the exercise of sacred, personal choices — choices, like the choices made by every other citizen, that must be free from unwarranted government interference.”

The decision also used the Loving case as an example of why tradition, one of the defenses put forth by supporters of the ban, was not enough to sustain it.

“Tradition alone cannot justify denying same-sex couples the right to marry any more than it could justify Virginia's ban on interracial marriage,” the decision states.

-----------------------------------------------

I agree with the decision but it is a little disconcerting that 20 years ago all this lawsuits would probably had been dismissed outright and now they aren't. Jumping on the bandwagon isn't courage.

#2 Edited by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

Wasn't the Kentucky thread enough?

#3 Posted by playmynutz (5962 posts) -

As a Virginia resident I don't care about 'gay marriage'. Marijuana ban needs to be struck down as it is unconstitutional to tell a man he cannot consume a plant grown from the ground.

#4 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

As a Virginia resident I don't care about 'gay marriage'. Marijuana ban needs to be struck down as it is unconstitutional to tell a man he cannot consume a plant grown from the ground.

Same with opium?

#5 Edited by playmynutz (5962 posts) -
@Master_Live said:

@playmynutz said:

Same with opium?

Yes sir. I'm for legalizing abortion completely. Just because it is legal doesn't mean I'll use every service like abortion or opium.

In regards to this thread. Legalize animal marriage and polygamy. Just because it is legal doesn't mean everyone will commit bestiality all of a sudden.

#6 Posted by comp_atkins (31181 posts) -

why all the butthurt?

#7 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

why all the butthurt?

Do we really need a thread about every little region of america saying something about gay marriage? There is barely any people against gay marriage here. All we get is a circle jerk bashing non-existent "conservatives"

#8 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

@themajormayor said:

why all the butthurt?

Do we really need a thread about every little region of america saying something about gay marriage? There is barely any people against gay marriage here. All we get is a circle jerk bashing non-existent "conservatives"

it's kind of a big issue in America. You could always just ignore the thread, and go make your own shitty threads about animal torture or whatever

#9 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@playmynutz said:

Same with opium?

Yes sir. I'm for legalizing abortion completely. Just because it is legal doesn't mean I'll use every service like abortion or opium.

In regards to this thread. Legalize animal marriage and polygamy. Just because it is legal doesn't mean everyone will commit bestiality all of a sudden.

Polygamy I don't have as big an issue with, bestiality should remain illegal. And in terms of actual marriage, an animal can't consent to being legally married

#10 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@comp_atkins said:

@themajormayor said:

why all the butthurt?

it's kind of a big issue in America. You could always just ignore the thread, and go make your own shitty threads about animal torture or whatever

Ok but do we really need threads on this issue on state level? Every day?

Why would I make a thread about animal torture? I'm not really BRHD you know.

#11 Posted by jcknapier711 (380 posts) -

Anyone who thinks that banning the homos from getting free tax breaks for nothing is unconstitutional has absolutely no clue how to interpret the Constitution.

All we get is a circle jerk

Liberals will use any excuse to act out warped and aberrant behaviour.

#12 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

@themajormayor said:

why all the butthurt?

lol

#13 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@comp_atkins said:

@themajormayor said:

why all the butthurt?

Ok but do we really need threads on this issue on state level? Every day?

Why would I make a thread about animal torture? I'm not really BRHD you know.

crap, I keep forgetting! Dammit, you're right. I just see his creepy mask from that video and don't notice the username. My bad.

I think it's just because these happened in rapid succession. Honestly I think people only care about them occurring in southern/conservative states.

#14 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Anyone who thinks that banning the homos from getting free tax breaks for nothing is unconstitutional has absolutely no clue how to interpret the Constitution.

@themajormayor said:

...yes, I'm sure you know how to interpret the Constitution better than a Federal Judge

#15 Edited by whipassmt (13924 posts) -

The weird thing was that in Virginia the attorney general who's job filed a brief against Virginia's constitutional amendment, so I wonder who was representing Virginia before the judge. Maybe nobody. Maybe the assistant AG should've defended the amendment.

#17 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jcknapier711 said:

@themajormayor said:

...yes, I'm sure you know how to interpret the Constitution better than a Federal Judge

Yes, because federal judges are incapable of fault. No, sorry, but they are just as human as you or I and are subject to the same bias' and just as susceptible to hype. No doubt that he really is just jumping on the popular bandwagon without a thought to what it says in the Constitution.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of legislators signing bills into law without even reading the damn things. Obamacare and the Patriot Act come to mind. These people aren't any better than you or I, they just have a neat little title that enables them to blow farts in everyone's face.

On a side note, in the United States buggery was a crime punishable by death long after the Constitution was written. Even sodomy was a crime up until recently. Homosexuals were often thrown into insane asylums, and it's well that they should be. Anyone who has a desire to stick their penis in another mans bunghole has serious mental problems. Not being able to get married is the least of their problems.

No denial of life, liberty or property is taking place by banning these freaks from getting free tax breaks. And homosexuals have always had equal protection under the law. They are choosing to flout the laws, which makes them criminal. Granted anti-sodomy laws are no longer on the books in most places, but back when the laws in this country had some sense of justice homosexuals were criminals and rightfully so.

Wow...you seem like an awful human being

#18 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (811 posts) -
#19 Posted by comp_atkins (31181 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jcknapier711 said:

@themajormayor said:

Yes, because federal judges are incapable of fault. No, sorry, but they are just as human as you or I and are subject to the same bias' and just as susceptible to hype. No doubt that he really is just jumping on the popular bandwagon without a thought to what it says in the Constitution.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of legislators signing bills into law without even reading the damn things. Obamacare and the Patriot Act come to mind. These people aren't any better than you or I, they just have a neat little title that enables them to blow farts in everyone's face.

On a side note, in the United States buggery was a crime punishable by death long after the Constitution was written. Even sodomy was a crime up until recently. Homosexuals were often thrown into insane asylums, and it's well that they should be. Anyone who has a desire to stick their penis in another mans bunghole has serious mental problems. Not being able to get married is the least of their problems.

No denial of life, liberty or property is taking place by banning these freaks from getting free tax breaks. And homosexuals have always had equal protection under the law. They are choosing to flout the laws, which makes them criminal. Granted anti-sodomy laws are no longer on the books in most places, but back when the laws in this country had some sense of justice homosexuals were criminals and rightfully so.

troll or idiot? i seriously can't tell any longer these days...

#20 Posted by plageus900 (953 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Civil liberties are only for heterosexuals?

You're a piece of shit.

#21 Posted by Iszdope (9535 posts) -

^

Yeah, he stinks.

Bad.

#22 Posted by Leejjohno (14085 posts) -

Heroin starts out as a plant though, where would that line be drawn.

#23 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (811 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

before the refining process, that turns the plant into heroin.

#24 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

@Leejjohno said:

@playmynutz said:

before the refining process, that turns the plant into heroin.

So I couldn't grow the plant on my backyard and then refine it at my home?

#25 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7719 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Violation of the 14th amendment.