Could anyone recommend me some good horror anime?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16716 posts) -

I've already watched Higurashi and Another (subbed). I'm looking for some horror anime similar to that, either series or single movies. The only reason I'm asking is because when I look online to find good horror anime it usually comes up with violent action series and not true horror. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 Edited by lamprey263 (23510 posts) -

Scary Japanese animated horror? That's gotta be less common than animated Japanese coming-of-age dramas about young gay schoolboys who fall in love while playing together on an all-girls American football team at the Chinese military base in Kyoto.

#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16716 posts) -

@lamprey263: Not necessarily scary, just atmospheric and dark, like Higurashi. I get that animation is rarely scary. Id just like another anime that tells a cool horror story like the two I mentioned in the OP.

#4 Edited by ZimpanX (12636 posts) -

Berserk and Elfen Lied have some horror elements, but wouldn't call any of them "true horror". The closest thing to that from what I have watched is probably the movie called Perfect Blue.

Sorry I could not be of any more help.

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16716 posts) -

@ZimpanX: Forgot to mention I've already watched Elfen Lied. Definitely wouldn't call it horror, just a hyper violent action/ romance.

I will look into the other one you mentioned though, thanks.

#6 Posted by GazaAli (22670 posts) -

Not necessarily scary, just atmospheric and dark, like Higurashi. I get that animation is rarely scary. Id just like another anime that tells a cool horror story like the two I mentioned in the OP.

Claymore come to mind. Of course its not scary or belonging to the horror genre, but I found it really dark and grim.

#7 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16716 posts) -

@GazaAli: That one looks like it might be neat, thanks.

#8 Posted by k--m--k (1012 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Not necessarily scary, just atmospheric and dark, like Higurashi. I get that animation is rarely scary. Id just like another anime that tells a cool horror story like the two I mentioned in the OP.

Claymore come to mind. Of course its not scary or belonging to the horror genre, but I found it really dark and grim.

I agree with the above. not scary at all, but it is a dark anime. AND A VERY GOOD ONE.

#9 Posted by ZimpanX (12636 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

I agree with the above. not scary at all, but it is a dark anime. AND A VERY GOOD ONE.

Indeed, just a damn shame it stopped following the manga and ended. A day doesn't go by where I do not wish for a second season.

#10 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

It's not horror, but Monster is a pretty dark anime. I'd say it falls more under the "psychological thriller" tag.

#11 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6473 posts) -

I suppose Shiki and Another might be good picks for horror.

#12 Posted by GamerForca (7086 posts) -

I'd suggest Mushi-shi. It's pretty dark and creepy, and very atmospheric.

#13 Posted by TheHighWind (3782 posts) -

The pet shop of horrors (I might have title wrong)

Freaked me out, I could only watch a few episodes, very disturbing.

#14 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

@lamprey263: Not necessarily scary, just atmospheric and dark, like Higurashi. I get that animation is rarely scary. Id just like another anime that tells a cool horror story like the two I mentioned in the OP.

If you're willing to read manga, Homunculus is like that. It's very interesting and atmospheric. It's about a dude who gets a hole drilled into his skull and begins to see physical manifestations of their innermost issues.

#15 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29190 posts) -

Shiki is quite good, but give it at least a couple of episodes.

#16 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4753 posts) -

But Another was a comedy anime and there aren't any good horror anime.

#17 Edited by _VenomX (1614 posts) -

I'm thinking of Monster but I don't know if it's considered as Horror. The villain definitely strikes with pure fear and horror.

#18 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16716 posts) -

Thanks for the recs guys! I'll check out Shiki, Claymore, Mushi Shi and Pet Shop of Horrors!

#19 Edited by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Boogiepop Phantom would be my recommendation

#20 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

If you liked Higurashi, and if you haven't already, you should try Umineko.

Also, here just a few off the top of my head:

Paranoia Agent, Dangan Ronpa The Animation, Serial Experiments Lain (this one's more of a psychological horror).

Boogiepop Phantom would be my recommendation

Good choice. Was just about to recommend this myself.

#21 Posted by RadecSupreme (4649 posts) -

I'd consider Akira to have some horror, but not exactly the horror that you're referring to sadly.