Cops caught in another lie

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Two Brooklyn cops sideswiped a parked SUV, then arrested a man sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicle, accusing him of damaging their car, a suit charges.

And the officers would have gotten away with their lie — had the whole bizarre drama not been caught by a security camera.

Robert Jackson, 31, told The Post his nightmare began when a police car heading the wrong way on one-way Watkins Street in Brownsville scraped against a parked Ford Explorer, which belongs to his girlfriend.

Jackson, a maintenance worker, said he was sitting in the legally parked car outside of his apartment when the accident happened. He got out of the vehicle and walked up to the officers.

“I was smiling, like, ‘How’d you run into me?’ ” he recalled. “Then the cop said, ‘Dude, you ran into me.’ ”

“I just wanted them to fix the damage and apologize, but it didn’t turn out that way,” Jackson said. “They were trying to cover it up.”

At that point, things got even more surreal.

1. A police car drives the wrong way on a Brooklyn street, toward a parked SUV, in surveillance video.

2. The cruiser squeezes past but scrapes the SUV, in which passenger Robert Jackson was sitting.

3. With the cruiser tucked out of the way behind the SUV, a truck has enough room to rumble past.

4. Jackson stands outside the SUV after confronting the cops, who he said checked for cameras.

The two cops checked the block for surveillance cameras before arresting him for destruction of city property, according to the lawsuit filed by Jackson in Brooklyn Supreme Court.

“When they thought no cameras were on. I saw their gloves go on, and that’s when I was arrested,” Jackson said.

But fortunately for Jackson, the officers, Christopher Oliver and Shazad Shigri, missed one camera on the home of one of his neighbors, Jackson said.

The video, reviewed by The Post, corroborates Jackson’s story.

It shows the police car going the wrong way down the street on April 17, 2013, and scraping the parked SUV as the officers try to make room for a truck to pass.

Though charges were eventually dropped, Jackson had to spend a night in a “filthy, overpopulated, rat- and rodent-infested cell,” his suit says.

“The officer who arrested me said if I took care of the expense on my vehicle, they would take care of their vehicle and I wouldn’t have gotten arrested,” Jackson recounted. “He knew he was wrong.”

The NYPD referred comment to the city Law Department.

The city Law Department said only, “We will review the complaint.”

Link

___________________________________________________________________________________

And yes, the accused innocent is a black man.

No wonder cops hate cameras, which is why you should pull one out whenever you see police activity. It's up to the public to police the police forces, because they sure as hell aren't going to cite themselves.

A culture change is being forced on the police, and they're being dragged kicking and screaming into an era of public accountability.

About fucking time.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

A couple of years ago, I wanted to be a cop.

Now? Well...take a guess.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#4 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Iszdope said:

@Kevlar101 said:

You want to be a fluffer?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Guess there is an upside to cameras in public.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

kinda fucked up society when cops are afraid of surveillance...

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Kevlar101: I thought a male stripper...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

who cares. this kind of stuff happens of all the time, its just in the nypost because hes black

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Atleast he wasn't shot.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

Makes me pretty mad.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

**** I hate cops. Well...except for Robocop..he's awesome~

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

This is why I'll never teach my kids if I even have any, to trust police.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Back when I lived in Chicago (4 years or so ago), two officers tried to pull something similar on me. On a six lane (three lanes each side) highway, their lane merged with mine, but they had no idea. They came over without looking, I slammed on my brakes just in time to have them avoid me by about 6 inches, and they came over in a huff to issue me a ticket. After explaining that I could show them the sign which dictated their lane merged with mine, the general nonsense of a middle lane merging into an outer lane, and that there were probably dozens of cameras around the crowded business area, they decided to let me off with a written warning.

That was darn decent of the little *******.

Like any population segment, there are some really good officers out there. And their are some really nasty ones as well. Unfortunately, given the authority they hold and the fact that their jobs depend highly on the respect they're given, I think they need to be more diligent about cleaning up their ranks. Their reputation is falling, and to some extent it's been earned.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Why would all this deter you? If someone really wants to be a cop, the only thing all this stuff that has happened lately should do is make them determined to be better than those that give the whole a bad name.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

So many idiots in this post who say they don't trust the police but the second something goes wrong who do they cry to?

Pathetic

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

the cops lied, they do it all the time, nothing will ever come of it, they won't be reprimanded, fired, doubt any civil suit will amount to anything

at worst the police are treated to some paid administrative leave paid vacation

we aren't being moved into an era of greater police accountability, we see the shit they do more often due to security cameras or cellphones but in terms of seeking justice for the victims of police, nothing is happening, nothing is ever going to happen

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

who cares. this kind of stuff happens of all the time, its just in the nypost because hes black

That is a disappointing view to express when the most relevant issue is professional responsibility in a society of morals. That said, what you say may be true, but considering how modern society operates along with the fact that the source did not mention race once in the entire report, only showing the innocent man's picture once, and the suit not being related to race, it seems to me that your statement is probably false.

Based on that conclusion, your apathy is probably not only seen as offensive towards African Americans, but also towards all the other people who deal with this sort of injustice, but have yet to receive justice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

There needs to be better forms of training, education and testing on all individuals who want to become police officers. The current system doesn't work when you have an abundance of cops who act irresponsible, and then have numerous cops who are, by all means, very racist.

Have stricter controls in place to filter out the people who would be dangerous with that amount of power and responsibility.

Avatar image for Captain_Swosh69
Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Captain_Swosh69
Member since 2005 • 1012 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

So many idiots in this post who say they don't trust the police but the second something goes wrong who do they cry to?

Pathetic

so just because sometimes, we need the police, so when the police does something wrong, we should just bend over?

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Pathetic

people are pathetic, you, me, everyone

we're semi-hairless apes hurtling through space on a fucking rock with no goddamn clue what so ever

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

The officers were probably afraid that if they admitted to causing the accident then the city would've had to pay Jackson for the damages and their supervisor probably would've given them a chewing out and maybe a suspension, but what they did just made things worse. Looks like honesty really is the best policy.

The fact that Jackson is black may be irrelevant to this whole thing though, so let's not jump to conclusions.

Also let's not make this a bigger incident than it is, it's not like all cops do this. Cops are like anyone else you got some lazy ones, some crazy ones, some excellent ones, some bad ones, some heroes, some villains and plenty of average ones. But without cops, people would be sorting their problems out with blood feuds and who wants that?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I guess my avatar is relevant to this thread. The guy in the mask is an alderman and one of the people in on his scheme is a cop.