Confederate Flag: Your take?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

I don't know if people outside the US have an opinion on this or not, but if you do I'd be interested in hearing it.

Basically, if you don't know: The US Civil War (some schools in the south still teach it as "The War of Rising Nothern Aggression") was fought between the North and the South. The North was basically the US government, the South suceeded from the US. To make a long story short, the North won. However the confederate (south) flag is still flown and worn by people today.

Some people are offeded by this as they view the flag as a symbol of slavery (which the south fought for), racisim and rebellion. Those who support it say that it isn't, but they want to support the south.

I'm from the north. I've alway kind of been against it (I mean you lost, give it up); but I do acknowledge that some people who use it aren't pro-slavery. Lynyrd Skynyrd uses it all the time, and yet one of their songs (The Ballad Of Curtis Loew) talks about a black man who was the best blues guitarist ever.

What's your take?

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
Heritage, not hate.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blackngold29
Heritage, not hate.CptJSparrow
But if your heritage supported things that are against your belifs, why support it?
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CptJSparrow
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]Heritage, not hate.blackngold29
But if your heritage supported things that are against your belifs, why support it?

Would you be proud of your heritage if you did not support its beliefs? Though I would say that in this case it is more about cause.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts
mostly indifferent and I'm from the north. Personally don't see the hub bub about it, for either side. Doesn't really bother me seeing it, but at the same time I can't understand a pride for the confederacy at all.
iusm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 iusm78
Member since 2008 • 1474 Posts
man that flag sucks cuz it means slavery is legal there.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Since a lot more people around the world (UK included) have seen the Stars and Stripes, they view that as more American if you will.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]Heritage, not hate.CptJSparrow

Would you be proud of your heritage if you did not support its beliefs? Though I would say that in this case it is more about cause.

Anyone could support their heritage without putting a huge flag on their truck and wearing a belt-buckle that represents it everyday.

I support people supporting their heritage, just not sticking it in my face all the time.

Avatar image for MassEfectivator
MassEfectivator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MassEfectivator
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
Three guys in my neighborhood have it. Two homosexual life partners and an asian man. They are pretty nice I even mow one of their yards every now and then and they have tons of friends that are black. So I guess heritage. I don't know about the asian guy though........
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I don't mind it.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CptJSparrow

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]Heritage, not hate.blackngold29

Anyone could support their heritage without putting a huge flag on their truck and wearing a belt-buckle that represents it everyday.

I support people supporting their heritage, just not sticking it in my face all the time.

What is wrong with displaying it on cars and belt buckles? Are you against doing the same with the American flag? :|
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The Confederate flag is all about slavery.. That was the main reason why they seceded and made their own country for a brief time, to defend the injust institution of slavery. There is no ifs ands and buts about it.. Thats why the south seceded, and nothing else.. It embodies slavery becauses thats why they seceded to begin with.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blackngold29
[QUOTE="blackngold29"]

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]Heritage, not hate.CptJSparrow

What is wrong with displaying it on cars and belt buckles? Are you against doing the same with the American flag? :|

I said you can support your herritage without sticking it in my face. No, because I support America.
Avatar image for MassEfectivator
MassEfectivator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MassEfectivator
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
[QUOTE="blackngold29"]

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]Heritage, not hate.CptJSparrow

Theres no point in flying the American flag everywhere, I mean I get the idea we are in America, but I don't mind when guys flash flags, it's when they start putting on masks and getting crosses...

kakkarott23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 kakkarott23
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German pride
iusm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iusm78
Member since 2008 • 1474 Posts
[QUOTE="blackngold29"]

Wat about wearing a nazi belt buckle? they'd offend people too right?

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blackngold29
I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German pridekakkarott23
But Nazi =/= German. Not 100% anyway.
kakkarott23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kakkarott23
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts

[QUOTE="kakkarott23"]I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German prideblackngold29

Nazism is part of Germany's heratiage just as the Confederacy is part of the US' heratiage. I don't think it is right to celebrate the negativities as something to be proud of.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

[QUOTE="kakkarott23"]I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German prideblackngold29

Confederatist =/= southerner...

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="kakkarott23"]I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German pridejointed

What's your point? I didn't say southerners annoy me, I said confederiststs annoy me. Just like Nazi annoy me, not Germans.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="kakkarott23"]I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German prideblackngold29

What's your point? I didn't say southerners annoy me, I said confederiststs annoy me. Just like Nazi annoy me, not Germans.

My point is that the principle of a German flying a nazi flag is exactly the same as a southerner flying a confederate flag...

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blackngold29
[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="kakkarott23"]I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German pridejointed

My point is that the principle of a German flying a nazi flag is exactly the same as a southerner flying a confederate flag...

Yeah, I guess that's true. Never really thought about it. I don't think I could find an American who doesn't hate when other Americans who fly the Nazi flag. I don't know if people still fly it in Germany though.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Donkey_Puncher
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="kakkarott23"]I see it the same as using the Nazi flag and saying German prideblackngold29

Yeah, I guess that's true. Never really thought about it. I don't think I could find an American who doesn't hate when other Americans who fly the Nazi flag. I don't know if people still fly it in Germany though.

it's illegal there I think.

Spartan_385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Spartan_385
Member since 2007 • 5195 Posts
The south will rise again!!!
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
Whenever you see a racist rally you see the confederate flag and a nazi flag. The confederate flag was made to be a big middle finger to the U.S government.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blackngold29
[QUOTE="blackngold29"] Yeah, I guess that's true. Never really thought about it. I don't think I could find an American who doesn't hate when other Americans who fly the Nazi flag. I don't know if people still fly it in Germany though.Donkey_Puncher

it's illegal there I think.

Yeah, according to Wikipdia correct you are.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blackngold29
It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend. CommanderShiro
Pride in what though? If they don't support the belifs of the confederates then why use their symbols?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814

It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend. CommanderShiro

The secession from the union, and the creation of the confederacy (which the Confederate flag represents) directly has to do with the insitution of slavery.. Thats why they seceded and that is it. And I also find this laughable "sourthern heritage and pride" yeah because the support of one the darkest parts in our history, slavery, is somethign to take pride in.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
I think southern people perhaps feel it is heritage, however those idiot redneck punks who drive around with confederate flags in their car cause its cool are retarded. I can understand if they want the confederate flag in some places, but sometimes they get way too sensitive about it.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Donkey_Puncher

why would people feel pride over a symbol of slavery? As for heritage, the symbol didn't exist before the civil war.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
I don't support anything related to succeeding from the Union.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ragnarok1051

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend. sSubZerOo

The secession from the union, and the creation of the confederacy (which the Confederate flag represents) directly has to do with the insitution of slavery.. Thats why they seceded and that is it. And I also find this laughable "sourthern heritage and pride" yeah because the support of one the darkest parts in our history, slavery, is somethign to take pride in.

Slavery was the main cause but deep down most southerners were fearful of the north changing their way of life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend. Ragnarok1051

Slavery was the main cause but deep down most southerners were fearful of the north changing their way of life.

WHICH directly had to do with slavery.. SLAVERY and its institution was their way of life.. You can't go around it, that was their main concern, was slavery.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Slavery was the main cause but deep down most southerners were fearful of the north changing their way of life.Ragnarok1051

Way of life... like the plantation lifestyle?

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts

The Confederate flag is all about slavery.. That was the main reason why they seceded and made their own country for a brief time, to defend the injust institution of slavery. There is no ifs ands and buts about it.. Thats why the south seceded, and nothing else.. It embodies slavery becauses thats why they seceded to begin with.sSubZerOo

Yep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]Slavery was the main cause but deep down most southerners were fearful of the north changing their way of life.Oleg_Huzwog

Way of life... like the plantation lifestyle?

Yep people need to do some more reading up on this stuff.. Suggest they read books like Beyond the River by Hagedorn.. If you even spoke out against slavery in some of those pro slavery communities, there was a very good chance you would get tarred and feathered, beaten up or even lynched... Slavery was their way of life, on what they are talking about.. Any one who flys the confederate flag thinking it as anything else is ignorant.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ragnarok1051
[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend. sSubZerOo

WHICH directly had to do with slavery.. SLAVERY and its institution was their way of life.. You can't go around it, that was their main concern, was slavery.

Government was controlled by the states and there was a split between slave states and free states. Conflicts would come up where new states would be added and nobody knew whether they would be free or slave. Whoever had control would be able to pass legistlation that favored them more. Hope this makes sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]It represents Southern Heritage and Pride. People believe it represents hate because groups like the KKK and Skinheads are using it the wrong way. I know so many people that wear the flag with pride and they are not racist at all. If they were they wouldn't be my friend. Ragnarok1051

Government was controlled by the states and there was a split between slave states and free states. Conflicts would come up where new states would be added and nobody knew whether they would be free or slave. Whoever had control would be able to pass legistlation that favored them more. Hope this makes sense.

Actually there was a 50/50 split of slave states for that reason.. Infact prior to the civil war in the 20-50's slave holders held the government.. They started making insane acts that violated peoples liberties such as the Fugitive slave Act..

No that is wrong yet again they passed the Missouri compromise which made it clear which states were free states or slave states.

Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

So much worse things happened under the U.S Flag, when you're going to be proud of a certain flag, you have to take the good with the bad, I mean ALOT of evil was commited under the U.S flag, confederate flag, and most other flags in the world.

For this reason I could never bring myself to salute a flag, it just seems so silly. I don't brandish it, or get all worked up over it, it's just so darned silly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814

So much worse things happened under the U.S Flag, when you're going to be proud of a certain flag, you have to take the good with the bad, I mean ALOT of evil was commited under the U.S flag, confederate flag, and most other flags in the world.

For this reason I could never bring myself to salute a flag, it just seems so silly. I don't brandish it, or get all worked up over it, it's just so darned silly.

Siofen

No one is argueing that.. But the Confederacy Flag was created on the sole purpose to uphold the instiution of slavery.. The American flag of today represents liberty, freedoms etc etc..

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Well, I was gonna post sumthing but sSubZer0o said everything i was gonna say :)
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blackngold29

Siofen
You feel no pride for your country?
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I don't mind it. Sure it can stand for some things I'm against, but on that same note as a Canadian, the American flag could also be interpreted as something against my beliefs. Either way I'm not a fan of people flaunting their nationalism like they're somehow better than you.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ragnarok1051

Actually there was a 50/50 split of slave states for that reason.. Infact prior to the civil war in the 20-50's slave holders held the government.. They started making insane acts that violated peoples liberties such as the Fugitive slave Act..

No that is wrong yet again they passed the Missouri compromise which made it clear which states were free states or slave states.

sSubZerOo

Yes I know these things I just took a Civil War class and we had to look at each of the compromises to get an understanding of why we fought. I am a southener so we studied it from that perspective. Each side wanted a new state to be on their side, but each one brought new conflict so thats where the compromises came from to save the country from civil war, which failed in the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts

I don't mind it. Sure it can stand for some things I'm against, but on that same note as a Canadian, the American flag could also be interpreted as something against my beliefs. Either way I'm not a fan of people flaunting their nationalism like they're somehow better than you. PBSnipes

Your beliefs are against freedom, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

I don't know if people outside the US have an opinion on this or not, but if you do I'd be interested in hearing it.

Basically, if you don't know: The US Civil War (some schools in the south still teach it as "The War of Rising Nothern Aggression") was fought between the North and the South. The North was basically the US government, the South suceeded from the US. To make a long story short, the North won. However the confederate (south) flag is still flown and worn by people today.

Some people are offeded by this as they view the flag as a symbol of slavery (which the south fought for), racisim and rebellion. Those who support it say that it isn't, but they want to support the south.

I'm from the north. I've alway kind of been against it (I mean you lost, give it up); but I do acknowledge that some people who use it aren't pro-slavery. Lynyrd Skynyrd uses it all the time, and yet one of their songs (The Ballad Of Curtis Loew) talks about a black man who was the best blues guitarist ever.

What's your take?

blackngold29

my opinion is that its freedom of speech, even if I dont particularly agree with what the person waving the flag believes it means. Anyone who says it should be banned should consider moving to a totalitarian government

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
[QUOTE="Siofen"]

blackngold29

You feel no pride for your country?

Why should anyone feel pride for a place they were born? I find myself thankful to live in Canada because of the many places I COULD have been born, but not proud...national pride rarely leads to good thingd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="blackngold29"]

What's your take?

H8sMikeMoore

my opinion is that its freedom of speech, even if I dont particularly agree with what the person waving the flag believes it means. Anyone who says it should be banned should consider moving to a totalitarian government

Which I agree, I just don't think people should put it on their government houses.. Because in the end its just another symbol for the upholding of slavery as a institution.

Avatar image for swizz-the-gamer
swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 swizz-the-gamer
Member since 2005 • 8801 Posts
I find it offensive that Americans fly the American flag. America is the worlds biggest arms dealer.