Computer Scientists 'Prove' God Exists

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by playmynutz (6068 posts) -

Enjoy OT; Article

Does this change anyone's opinion on God or science?

#2 Edited by deeliman (2451 posts) -

No.

#3 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

Not really, no, but I'm a believer anyway.

#4 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

Shitty headline to get views. Even the article says it's own title is a red herring.

#6 Posted by lonewolf604 (8526 posts) -

#7 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

I read through it and didn't see a proof.

#8 Edited by undergroundLPx (645 posts) -

"Proving God's Existence with a MacBook"

LOL

#9 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@undergroundLPx: rotf lol

#10 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

Well that settles that. No more religion topics on OT, its all been solved!

#11 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2501 posts) -

If 'God' were a gamer, He/She/Whatever would probably have a brutal kill streak and humbled a lot of 'noobs'.

#12 Posted by Macutchi (4139 posts) -

@deeliman said:

No.

#13 Edited by iampenguin (223 posts) -

@playmynutz: not at all.

@Smokescreened84 or send his son to do it :P

#14 Edited by Teenaged (31746 posts) -

Maximally great being anyone?

#danwallacefan

#15 Edited by Netret0120 (2206 posts) -

Überhaupt nicht aber Gott ist da. GS ist verückt smh.

#17 Posted by comp_atkins (31476 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

what about arguing over which god is the correct one? *breaks out macbook*

#18 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I tried to read it, but it looks poorly written.

#19 Posted by ferrari2001 (17002 posts) -

You can't prove a non-physical thing exists using physical means. Dumb article is dumb.

#20 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

Well, that was easy.

#21 Posted by MathMattS (4005 posts) -

In the first place, the existence of the Lord doesn't need to be proven. From everlasting to everlasting, He is God (Psalm 90:2). He declares the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:9-10).

Secondly, we should keep in mind that science and the Bible do not contradict each other. True science (i.e., not evolution, which is actually religion that rebels against what God's Word says about creation) is Biblical and created by God. For instance, mathematics, the structure of living cells, laws of motion, and chemical reactions all exist because God created them.

#22 Edited by hippiesanta (9892 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

what about arguing over which god is the correct one? *breaks out macbook*

islam is the true religion ..... no no , it's sunni .... no no no .... it's shitte ..... no no it's mormon ... no..... buddist is the true religion ...... no ...... judaism is the real thing ..... no!! it's scientology ..... they conquer hollywood

#23 Edited by Jake518 (217 posts) -

@MathMattS said:

In the first place, the existence of the Lord doesn't need to be proven. From everlasting to everlasting, He is God (Psalm 90:2). He declares the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:9-10).

Secondly, we should keep in mind that science and the Bible do not contradict each other. True science (i.e., not evolution, which is actually religion that rebels against what God's Word says about creation) is Biblical and created by God. For instance, mathematics, the structure of living cells, laws of motion, and chemical reactions all exist because God created them.

Evolution is science. You do not know what religion is if you claim evolution is a religion.

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution" - evolutionary biologist and Russian Orthodox Christian Theodosius Dobzhansky

#24 Posted by MrGeezer (56562 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

You can't prove a non-physical thing exists using physical means. Dumb article is dumb.

See, here's what I have a problem with. If God is supposedly the creator of everything (or even ANYTHING), then he IS "a physical thing". Interaction and influence over the known universe sort of means that he can be detected through empirical means. This is basic Ghostbusters logic. Our eyes and brains work based on physical principles. Therefore, the mere ability to see or hear ghosts means that they are a part of the physical world. And if they interact with matter in such a way that allows us to see them, then it stands to reason that we can also devise a way to trap them within a containment field and then confine them indefinitely to a storage unit.

And on the other hand...if God REALLY is a "non-physical thing", then that would mean that he doesn't interact with matter. That would then mean that he CAN'T BE DETECTED, that he has no influence over anything of a physical nature. And if that's the case, then for all intents and purposes HE DOESN'T EXIST.

So...either god doesn't exist, or he does exist and it's at least theoretically possible to prove that he exists.

#25 Edited by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

@MathMattS said:

But cell structure being the way it is is a part of evolution, look at mitochondria . It seems a bit of a cop out to say things you agree with exist because God created the while offering no explanation whilst shunning ideas you choose to disagree with because you don't give them the same arbitrary support.

Mathematics is also more us making sense of the way things work rather than being some divine godsend. The bible doesn't exactly throw us any bones on the category of chemistry and mathematics after all which is kind of a bummer since those two things could have been really useful in proving a religion. I mean if the Bible had quantum mechanics in it that far before we knew them how could you disagree? Instead we get what we get.

#26 Posted by Jake518 (217 posts) -

As to the original post, no this does not change my mind about the existence of God. Science is about the study of the natural world; not the supernatural. The article itself is confusing in the way it is written.

#27 Edited by LexLas (4278 posts) -

There goes 2 minutes i'll never get back. God is love ..

#28 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@MathMattS said:

Joke post?

#29 Edited by Jake518 (217 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@MathMattS said:

Joke post?

Let's hope so.

#30 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

"Ontological argument"

Yeah... no.