Coming back from watching American Sniper. [Spoilers]

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56016 Posts

Saw the movie. It tries too hard to be a Zero Dark Thirty clone. I did like the sniper vs sniper aspect. Kinda had the Enemy at the Gates feel to it. Overall it was just an average movie. The market right now has too many soldier movies I believe and I just felt bored throughout the whole film. No knock on Cooper though. He played the character well. It wasn't so much that it was poor. It was that the movie really didn't have a point. Was it to show the tragedy of being a soldier? There was no real point to it or resolution. I can understand that it was about Chris' life but it could have done so much more and I think the Hurt Locker did a good job then this. I rate American Sniper a 7/10. Are you planing to go see this movie?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

How can something be a Zero Dark Thirty clone when it doesn't even involve hunting for UBL?

Stick to anime, bro.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

"It tries too hard to be a Zero Dark Thirty clone"

Holy shit.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I have yet to see it but plan on doing so. Your review, however, sounds like nonsense. Zero Dark Thirty was more of a thriller involving a hunt for Bin Laden. This is a biopic of Chris Kyle, a Navy Seal Sniper so I don't see the resemblance.

Also Hurt Locker did a better job portraying soldiers in combat? wtf? The Hurt Locker didn't portray anything accurately and was completely shallow and poorly researched. It was nothing more than an action movie.

If you want an accurate depiction of our troops, go watch Generation Kill.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator

@airshocker: I guess. Still though American Sniper had it's moments.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL Zero Dark Thirty clone. That's brilliant.

I'll see it eventually, hopefully with gift cards because I'd rather not support a jingoist, mass-murdering, racist, white supremist like Chris Kyle with my money. I remember when Spielberg was attached to direct but then WB took him off because he wanted to show more of the other side, by that meaning the Iraqis and Kyle's numerous bad aspects.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It was decent but far from amazing, I think some things could had been fleshed out a bit more about Chris Kyle and his surroundings, but overall I didn't mind it. Also, dat sound design is amazing, guns pop as well!!!

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Never cared for these overly dramatic Patriotism propaganda movies that glorify the people serving.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

More patriotic bile served up to convince american teens there is something beyond a pay check worth fighting for.

KillerK1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KillerK1ng
Member since 2014 • 135 Posts

Let me start off by saying Zero dark thirty was a piece of crap.

Oh wait, I'm finished

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

I'll see it eventually, hopefully with gift cards because I'd rather not support a jingoist, mass-murdering, racist, white supremist like Chris Kyle with my money.

Wow. Stay classy, Aljosa.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

My initial reaction was it was an average film, but I've since changed my mind on reflection. I think the story of Chris Kyle is a great one and the movie certainly tells it.

Before seeing it, I was aware that many were taking issue with the films portrayal of the Chris Kyle, I didn't bother to read too much into his personal flaws if there were any but I was aware people took issue with things he said versus how he was portrayed in the film. So, I assumed a lot of artistic liberty was taken to make the movie more marketable, and not portray him in a way that people found contrary to how he really was.

I assumed they made him way too stoic, but at the time it didn't bug me as much since I assumed it was artistic liberty. After watching it though I've seen interviews of him when he was touring the TV promoting his book. That stoic and overly modest demeanor is very much how he actually was, and Clint Eastwood and Bradly Cooper nailed it.

Looking into some controversy afterwards I see he got flack for saying he was killing "savages". I think people take what he said out of context and I think in ways the film addresses how he felt about it. Chris Kyle was actually questioned about this in interviews and he explained that it was the people he was killing, not the Iraqi people. And in that too I feel the movie addresses this, abstractly. His character was very much moved by the brutality of the one guy who terrorized and murdered Iraqi civilians with the power drill, and killing anybody that talked to American soldiers. It's those inflicting brutality on the Iraqi people that Chris Kyle found to be savages. It's an important aspect of the movie itself because it builds on his two main motivations throughout the war that kept him focused.

This high up the food chain terrorist (I forget, "The Driller"?) was Chris Kyle / Bradley Coopers goal for the entire film on the war end. If (TC) sees this as a Zero Dark Thirty clone hook, I disagree. I think his motivation for going after this man tour after tour is what kept his head in the game. That, and the Syrian Olympic gold medalist sniper that was picking off American soldiers, those were his two main goals in the war, taking them out. Once he accomplished those tasks he was ready to go home.

I think those two things were important, because I think also a big part of the film was addressing PTSD. In many ways it effected him less, maybe, though he was still effected. I remember when his brother and him ran into each other on the airfield on his brother's first tour his brother was broken. This scene came after his time at home where he in many ways it showed him suppressing his own PTSD symptoms. Still, I think as far as being a soldier, and having purpose wanting to go back after the power drill terrorist leader and the Syrian sniper, those kept him focused as a soldier enough to complete multiple tours, because after he took that last shot at the end, that was it, he was done, he wanted to go home, it's like the purpose to stay was gone and he wanted out.

Still, he went home a broken person, to an extent. The PTSD symptoms he'd been suppressing were still there. He had to integrate back into life. They showed how his helping vets out at the VA gave him purpose, made him a functional person again, someone with a purpose, allowed him to be a good husband to his wife again. Of course, that was the thing that did him in, that one fateful outing with that severely damaged vet with PTSD, which I guess we all saw coming. In terms of the story though, seeing this coming and the way it was done was kind of a flat note, just fades to black, exposition, the heroes funeral ending with real footage, it was kind of a flat delivery, then again they didn't sully the story by making the ending gratuitous so there's good with the bad. But, overall I still thought it was a great story.

Like I said my initial reaction was that it was an average film, but after looking into who Chris Kyle was, what kind of person he was, shutting out the political divide controversy over the film, I rather liked it. It's a okay film with a great story. I think Clint Eastwood was more centered on telling Chris Kyle's story rather than making an entertainment piece. Clint Eastwood is certainly conservative, and with that he's a strong military supporter, but I hardly feel he's exploited or his film exploits pushing a military agenda of any sorts.

I know to some extent people see military films as propaganda of sorts, I don't really feel that's the case here at all. I think many war films are made more for entertainment than to honor those who fought, or maybe they're a mix of both but entertainment takes lead. I don't see such films as propaganda but I think they do have effects on the psychology of Americans. They paint a picture of American military and moral superiority which has been criticized. Also things like war films glorify war and such. And to a degree I do think war films have consequences of shaping peoples views on the military, maybe it does make people want to join, especially for young people who may sign up to go to war. I've feeling though that when it comes to making money that's least of a film producer's concern. Same with video games.

When it comes to this film though, and Chris Kyle and his book, and I think there was an agenda and it's hardly a sinister one. In interviews he's stated that he wanted to bring awareness largely to the sacrifices that families at home endure when troops deploy. He wanted to promote the view that vets need help at home as well and ask for people to help them out. And he wanted the profits from his book to go toward the families of his fallen fellow soldiers, and to assist in helping vets. I think that's a noble thing.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

I'll see it eventually, hopefully with gift cards because I'd rather not support a jingoist, mass-murdering, racist, white supremist like Chris Kyle with my money. I remember when Spielberg was attached to direct but then WB took him off because he wanted to show more of the other side, by that meaning the Iraqis and Kyle's numerous bad aspects.

oh look its a pathetic liberal. i bet you went and watched selma instead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I'll see it eventually, hopefully with gift cards because I'd rather not support a jingoist, mass-murdering, racist, white supremist like Chris Kyle with my money.

lmao it's true. Read up on the man's life, he was a massive douchebag.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Flubbbs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Oh look it's an idiot who can't counter anything I said lmao.

Haven't even seen Selma yet m8. Last film I saw in theatres was Birdman.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@Flubbbs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

theres nothing to counter because youre stupid lmao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Flubbbs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Flubbbs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/06/real-american-sniper-hate-filled-killer-why-patriots-calling-hero-chris-kyle

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/19/the-real-american-sniper-clint-eastwood-paints-chris-kyle-as-a-hero-but-the-true-story-isnt-that-simple/

etc. there's more out there but alas, conservatives don't really care about the facts as evidenced by you. :(

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Aljosa23 said:

He's got a point. Most GIs are well-behaved on the job. But , pry in closer into their personal lives and a few of them are bound to have support for unsavory scum such as white supremacists.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Will see it on BR/DVD release, thanks for the feedback villain :)

Avatar image for Captain_Swosh69
Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Captain_Swosh69
Member since 2005 • 1012 Posts

@davillain-: anybody read up on those numerous articles that criticize the movie? that it was a propaganda film? that its untrue?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

It was alright. The after credits were emotional and everyone was so quiet and mournful when leaving my theater. My room was certainly full of veterans (some quite old).

And of course there was this motherfucker to me left (like 10 seats away thankfully) that couldn't leave his shit of a cellphone (with the lighting at max) alone during the whole movie. I bet the son of a bitch was Twitting. I swear, some day I'm gonna loose it.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Sounds like a steaming bowl of shitty propaganda honestly. I'll be passing on it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19490 Posts

Since I don't enjoy patriotic/nationalist/propaganda war movies, I think I'll pass on this. I might have to agree with Seth Rogan's tweets about the trailers resembling that German "film within a film" in Inglourious Basterds...

Stephen Spielberg's original script for the movie sounds interesting though, kind of like Enemy at the Gates, portraying both sides of the conflict... But that would have been too "controversial" for the studios to let him make it.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Saw it on opening night, and I enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper of course did a fantastic job, and from what I can tell it did the story of Chris Kyle justice (his thoughts/feelings while at war and at home, anyways). Very tense and entertaining as well. That being said, it does fall victim to understating the other side of the conflict, and on some level glorifies Chris Kyle, which many will find fault with.

You're drunk for comparing it to Zero Dark Thirty though.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Well he's dead. So you'd be supporting Clint Eastwood.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6946 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@Flubbbs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Flubbbs said:

@Aljosa23 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/06/real-american-sniper-hate-filled-killer-why-patriots-calling-hero-chris-kyle

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/19/the-real-american-sniper-clint-eastwood-paints-chris-kyle-as-a-hero-but-the-true-story-isnt-that-simple/

etc. there's more out there but alas, conservatives don't really care about the facts as evidenced by you. :(

Have you read his book?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@SUD123456: I want to but I haven't got the chance. I was turned off hearing some of the most interesting stuff he says in it was fabricated or a downright lie so I've been hesitant. I will get to it eventually.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I only realized about 2 days ago that it was made by Clint Eastwood.

Reason enough to see it for me.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@always_explicit said:

More patriotic bile served up to convince american teens there is something beyond a pay check worth fighting for.

Tries but fails, the only ones supporting it are the gun and sniper owners. Oh and yeah Chris Klye just singed the Same sniper Chris used in Iraq for the company that made it. How sickening is that? lets say someone uses this same sniper and goes on a killing spare rampage.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I watched it and thought it was a great movie. I hardly see how it's propaganda like other people make it out to be. The only people that call it that are extremist liberal idiots(that have not seen it) or muslims. There was nothing "brainwashing" anyone. It was a realistic portrayal of war and cruelty. Horrible stuff happens in war. It's actually very anti-war. The only reason it seems so patriotic is because that's the attitude of the men involved. If that's how they really were, why try and change it to make it more PC?

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Clint Eastwood is an amazing director but I think his overly fanatic patriotism blinds him (I think his Dirty Harry character got too far into his head :P). I don't expect the movie to be more than a well made nationalist propaganda, I'll watch it on the web eventually, I've seen some enjoyable war propaganda movies before.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

It was awesome movie. I don't see why so many people don't like it.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@davillain- said:

It was that the movie really didn't have a point.

It's a morality tale about a simple-minded brute who eventually gets his long-overdue comeuppance.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

So Chris Kyle claimed to have killed 30 fucking people during Katrina? So either he's a murderer or an habitual liar.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

@davillain- said:

It was that the movie really didn't have a point.

It's a morality tale about a simple-minded brute who eventually gets his long-overdue comeuppance.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

saw it today. i enjoyed it. the theater was a little too full of senior citizens through... kinda strange.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

So Chris Kyle claimed to have killed 30 fucking people during Katrina? So either he's a murderer or an habitual liar.

He's pretty much just a weirdo. How a movie got made about him is beyond me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator

Just so you know, American Sniper was the #1 with around $60,000,000 over this past weekend and it's the second time that it made it to #1. I guess you could say American Sniper sniped the competition.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19490 Posts

While American Sniper will no doubt continue to be a major domestic success, being US-centric and all, I'd be more interested to see how it fares overseas...

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

lol

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@comp_atkins: yea lol it was packed wi h older people. One of the reasons I saw it was because my dad really wanted to go and he never goes to movies so me and the wife met up with him and my mom.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@GrayF0X786: LOL at the one with #DeBlasio. wow

Those are so sad.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 plageus900

@GrayF0X786:

Wow....that's disgusting.

Since when did an Arab and an Islamic Terrorist become the same thing?

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@plageus900 said:

@GrayF0X786:

Since America. And people say it's wrong to blame the 'murica.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 plageus900

@alim298 said:

@plageus900 said:

@GrayF0X786:

Since America. And people say it's wrong to blame the 'murica.

Now now, that's just like saying all Arabs are terrorists.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@plageus900 said:

Now now, that's just like saying all Arabs are terrorists.

Exactly!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:

lol

jfc... that was their take from the movie?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

I'll pass. Just more jingoist, propagandistic trash; only this particular garbage is loosely based on a scumbag's autobiography.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#49 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@plageus900: Because stupid people always exists.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:

lol

Its ok, Clint Eastwood already said its really an anti-war movie.