This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Hey all! I am getting into Comic books, I am a huge Venom fan (as you can tell by my profile banner) and have decided to get into Guardians of the Galaxy since he joined the team. Got to read the Planet of the Symbiotes story, and excited for what happens next! Not to mention the rest of the cast is great! So I will probably be sticking with this series.

I am also trying to pick up a couple others. Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier is one I am probably going to drop, the story isn't very interesting and the art is something I don't find very enjoyable. I will try one more issue, but I don't think i will continue with it. It stinks because I really enjoy the Winter Soldier as a character. Another is All-New Captain America, the issue I read was solid and i will continue to read it, but i do hope it gets a bit better, the story was kind of meh.

I am also thinking of trying Spider-Gwen and Silk when they come out; those look interesting. I am also eyeing Spider-Man 2099 and The Amazing Spider Man. Though, at the end of it all I will narrow it down to a few favorites because I am too cheap to follow so many books at once. I do plan on getting the mega collections of Agent Venom when they come out this summer.

How about everyone else? Read comic books, want to get into them?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Only The Beano as a kid and I'll pick up The Viz from time to time. Not a big comic book culture in the UK, don't even really see them for sale around here.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I`ve never really been into comics. I`ve only read some of the major classic graphic novels like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth and I`ve read The Sandman too but that`s pretty much it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

OP, do you like Adventures of Tintin , Adventure of Asterix and Obelix ? They were my favourite comics in childhood :)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You should try some DC stuff.

Personally, when it comes to actual comic books I'm almost exclusively a DC guy (which is weird because I prefer Marvel when it comes to other media).

I'm huge into Swamp Thing and Animal Man, and am sorely disappointed that DC is discontinuing the Swamp Thing New 52. The crossover story between the two was absolutely extraordinary. Other comics I've been known to read:

• Aquaman (New 52)
  • Batman (graphic novels)
  • Captain Atom (New 52)
  • Flash (New 52)
  • Green Lantern (Blackest Night era, New 52)
  • Justice League Dark (New 52)
  • Nightwing (New 52)
  • Nova (everything Richard Rider)
  • Thanos (just getting into Infinity Gauntlet and related)
  • Venom (mostly older stuff)
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bardock47

@foxhound_fox: I have been meaning to get into Batman, and Detective Comics Batman; those seem to be really good and my buddy says Aquaman is pretty rocking as well.

@indzman: Of those I have only seen the TinTin film, which I really enjoyed.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Where's the best place to download classic older Spiderman's for an Android Tablet?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

In terms of currently running series, Fables is by far the best. I very highly recommend it. It is actually about to end, so you'll be able to read to the ending.

The new Ms Marvel series is also great, definitely recommended. I haven't read the new Wonder Woman series since about issue 20 (I need to get back to it), but it was good at least then.

I also definitely recommend you check out Neil Gaiman's Sandman and some of the X-Men comics. X-Men has a lot of great runs, if you don't want to start from the beginning (which I don't recommend unless you want to spend a long time reading it), you should start with Grant Morrison's New X-Men. It's a great run and will give you a good introduction to the series.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

You should try some DC stuff.

Personally, when it comes to actual comic books I'm almost exclusively a DC guy (which is weird because I prefer Marvel when it comes to other media).

I'm huge into Swamp Thing and Animal Man, and am sorely disappointed that DC is discontinuing the Swamp Thing New 52. The crossover story between the two was absolutely extraordinary. Other comics I've been known to read:

• Aquaman (New 52)
  • Batman (graphic novels)
  • Captain Atom (New 52)
  • Flash (New 52)
  • Green Lantern (Blackest Night era, New 52)
  • Justice League Dark (New 52)
  • Nightwing (New 52)
  • Nova (everything Richard Rider)
  • Thanos (just getting into Infinity Gauntlet and related)
  • Venom (mostly older stuff)

How's New 52 Swamp Thing compare to Alan Moore's run? I loved the Moore run but haven't gotten around to reading much of any of New 52 yet.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bardock47

I believe the marvel comic app has older comics. I was able to get the original spider-man for free on there.

I am also planning on picking up Batman when the current arc ends, as well as Detective comics. I am for sure going to drop Winter Soldier (Love the character but cannot get into the comics) and keep All new Captain America. I also think I will pickup deadpool as well, making my list

• Guardians of the Galaxy
  • All-New Captain America
  • Deadpool
  • Silk
  • Spider-Gwen
  • Batman
  • Detective Comics

Though Silk and Spider-Gwen's longevity will depend on how good the comic is. I also may try the next Winter Soldier book, but I really am leaning to dropping it. The art style is unique, but doesn't interest and the story has excited me to much.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

How's New 52 Swamp Thing compare to Alan Moore's run? I loved the Moore run but haven't gotten around to reading much of any of New 52 yet.

Honestly, I haven't got around to buying that yet. I got all the New 52 stuff, and read a large part of the pre-Moore stuff, but still haven't got to that part.

But the authors of the New 52 books, from what I've read about Moore's characterization and deeper story-telling with Holland, do make it about more than just a serial series.

But it's almost required that you read the companion Animal Man books as well.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@Bardock47:

DEATHLOK is interesting. (Minor spoiler) Marvel is doing a "manchurian candidate / bourne identity" thing with it. It's only 2 issues in so a good time to pick it up.

MOON KNIGHT -- (SPOILER) Gonshu left Marc Spector and is now recruiting others as vigilantes. A lone doomsayer is running around the streets warning Gonshu's new pawns to break free. And the doomsayer is...? Marc Spector! ...who is then arrested by what may or may not be the FBI (as they proceed to whup his *ss once out of public view in issue 10.) It starts out dry but at the last page, I have to see what happens next.

I've liked Moon Knight since he was tripping balls on a Chicago subway. He sees a "No Smoking" sign turn into a "Moon Kings" sign, and proceeds to pummel his fellow commuters believing them to be whatever a 'moon king' is. That's storytellin' right there derp.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

screw that trendy stuff.

read frank miller's 1980's run on daredevil.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Use to enjoy 2000ad. The Batman/Dredd crossover was pretty cool. One of my favs.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Currently trying to catch up on the new 52, i am not a big Marvel fan except for anime's and movies

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I have a rather big collection of european comics. I always prefered those over american superhero comics from DC and Marvel due to their more realistic nature.

I do have some Spidermans from the series "The Spectacular Spider-man"which were gaven to me. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I had a phase. Bought a bunch of Deadpool comics as well as some New 52 comics. Most were good/great but some were just crappy. The one comic I did enjoy was Batman Owl series. And Aquaman was actually badass in this one. Also began appreciating Wonderwoman more. There needs to be a Wonderwoman film.