Comcast going to try to buy Time-Warner Cable

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts

http://news.msn.com/us/comcast-time-warner-cable-deal-to-reshape-pay-tv

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts

They don't compete in the same markets so the monopoly argument wouldn't be super strong was my first thought when reading the news and some guy mentioned monopolizing the mkt over my morning cup of joe. Oh and then droidphysx had the same thought a bit later

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts

I need to switch accounts on this phone

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I have Time Warner now and it's shit.

I don't expect this to make it improve.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Nuck81
said:

I have Time Warner now and it's shit.

I don't expect this to make it improve.

My thoughts exactly

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

@Serraph105: They are all the same. If you want cable you need to deal with it

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@gregbmil said:

@Serraph105: They are all the same. If you want cable you need to deal with it

I'll just stick with internet

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Does Time Warner still own AOL (or maybe they never did and I'm getting this confused with another company)?

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

not to sure how i feel about this atm. im just wandering will my bill go up. already pay $137 for just basic cable and internet. i think comcast also has data caps, dont like that at all.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

What does Comcast already own?

Comcast is the biggest cable TV and internet provider in the country, and it packages its “triple play” cable, TV and phone service under the Xfinity brand name.

Since 2011, Comcast has also owned NBCUniversal, itself a giant sprawling entertainment business. That means the company owns TV channels including NBC, MSNBC, Spanish-language Telemundo, CNBC and E!, and Universal Studios, which makes films and TV shows. (Recent hits: the Fast & Furious films, Les Miserables, Law & Order: SVU, Parks & Recreation).

It also owns a major chunk of 30 Rockefeller Plaza in Manhattan.

Was Comcast the inspiration for Kabletown, the Pennyslvania-based cable company that bought NBC in 30 Rock?

Yes.

What does Time Warner Cable own?

Time Warner Cable is the second-biggest cable and internet business in the country, but it’s nowhere near as sprawling as Comcast — the business is pretty much focussed on cable. Until 2009 it was part of Time Warner — itself a Comcast-style sprawling giant — but it was spun off into an independent company and no longer has anything to do with Time Warner except the use of the brand name.

What does this mean for Time Warner Cable or Comcast customers?

For the time being, not much — this deal will take a long time to complete, especially given the expected government scrutiny (more on that later). Comcast says getting regulatory approval will take 9-12 months.

If and when it is completed, there are a few things to watch for:

- Comcast has said it will “divest” of about three million cable subscribers to ease competition concerns. It’s not yet clear exactly where those customers are (we’ll update this as details come in) but if you are one of those three million, it means you’ll be getting a new cable company.

- If you are a Time Warner Cable customer, it means you’ll probably be getting a new set-top box. Comcast has used its massive scale to invest in a next generation internet-enabled cable box called X1, which it says offers a way better experience for watching video on demand and browsing channels. Time Warner Cable has been losing video customers, with some pinning the blame on its underinvestment in this kind of technology, while Comcast has been outperforming the wider industry in keeping its video subscribers, which it credits partially to the new X1 boxes.

- In terms of prices and service quality, things could go either way. In theory, a larger provider would have the purchasing power and efficiencies needed to keep prices down, and invest more in technology and service improvements. But for subscribers who have seen decades of consolidation take place alongside rising prices and infuriatingly poor service, it’s easy to remain skeptical on these claims.

Will the government approve this merger?

It’s definitely not a sure thing — this would be a major consolidation of an industry that is already top-heavy, and in 2011 the Obama administration moved to block a major communications deal — the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile — on competition grounds.

This deal is different on one important level: while AT&T and T-Mobile directly competed for the same customers in the national mobile market, Comcast and Time Warner Cable do not overlap. On a conference call discussing the deal this morning, Comcast said the two companies do not compete in a single zip code anywhere in America. That’s pretty typical of cable operators, which tend to operate in defined geographic territories that don’t overlap with other cable companies. But both Comcast and Time Warner Cable compete with satellite TV providers like Dish and DirecTV, as well as phone companies like Verizon and AT&T.

And as MoneyBeat reported late last year when talk of this deal first emerged, many believe there are other competition concerns, particularly around the combined company’s ability to pressure content providers. The FCC also applies a “public interest” test on these kind of deals, and will need to agree that this merger is in the public interest.

How consolidated is the American cable industry today?

Very. Here’s a graphic from the WSJ’s Rani Molla showing how beginning in the early 1990s, dozens of cable companies merged and re-merged and narrowed down to four today: Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Charter and Cox. If this deal happens, four become three.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Thanks, newsfeed

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By angeldeb82  Online
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

Well, I have news that the merger is evil! And we can't allow this to happen!

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/13/technology/comcast-time-warner-cable-evil/

http://www.freepress.net/node/105771

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Comcast and Time Warner Cable merging is probably the worse idea for the internet as a whole. There would be no such thing as net neutrality of the internet because Comcast would end up having such a large domination of the market. 33 million people is a substantial number and anyone who are not with Comcast more then likely be effected by any policy changes. Anyone with Comcast could be require to pay extra to get on Netflix while Hulu would be offered for free,or if Comcast have partnership with an internet retailer, they could do some persuasion to get people away from Amazon.

Comcast could even cause a domination in the cable market by controlling what is being aired. Would they let a channel of Disney to air any kind of information about Comcast in a negative way? How would they respond to other competing channels that they don't own?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Doesn't time warner offer internet for only $15 a month? Please take over Comcast so you can charge ridiculous prices for internet