College/School GPA and future career?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

Current college GPA is 3.4 and will transfer to another college to study Nursing in Fall 2013.

You?

#2 Posted by wis3boi (31102 posts) -

3.1 and I have no clue

#3 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
3.7 and no clue what I am doing career wise. I'm a criminal justice major so something in that field I suppose. I'm taking a class in being a Computer Forensics Examiner and that seems relatively interesting
#4 Posted by Legend002 (7023 posts) -

My self-conscious doesn't allow me to post my college GPA on a forum. :oops:

#5 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

I forgot what mine was since it was so many years ago, but I did land a good job in the government. But the job was really boring so now I work in smaller but more exciting companies.

Al related to translation, but in the end GPA doesnt prove anything...

But better to have a good one than a bad one. That is for sure.

#6 Posted by Squeets (8184 posts) -

3.93, but I don't do any extra stuff at school. No leadership stuff, clubs, no internships.

So it will probably be irrelevant when I graduate which makes me sad. I'm not going to graduate school, I have no money.

#7 Posted by comp_atkins (31257 posts) -
3.87 overall if i remember... i assume it helped my land my job because my interview was completely non-technical ( for a technical position ).. also tutored my junior and senior years and was involved in student government.
#8 Posted by Wasdie (49608 posts) -

I graduated with a 3.1 and had a job 2 months before I graduated.

Never once did employers ask about my GPA through the half a dozen interviews I had.

I did have an internship though. There they did want at least a 3.0 GPA. It was more of a requirement, not a measurement of skill. If you have above a 3.0 you were considered as much as somebody with a 4.0.

#9 Posted by megam (457 posts) -
It really depends on the company and position. Some want to see a GPA above 3.0, others want to see the GPA above 3.5. Some don't care just want to see the degree. There are other factors, too. For example, employers will take a lower GPA with more experience over a perfect GPA with little/no experience.
#10 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

I got a 3.25 in college and went on to get my PhD in chemistry. GPA isn't everything.

#11 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -
Never once did employers ask about my GPA through the half a dozen interviews I had.Wasdie
Same
#12 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
3.0... 2.978. Only because I got a D in Art History, a class I completely ignored and hated. I even paid someone on WoW 200 gold for their essay.
#13 Posted by pero2008 (2888 posts) -

My college GPA right now is a 2.9 and career wise ot sure but I'm going for a MIS degree so something in that field.

#14 Posted by fl4tlined (4134 posts) -
I think my gpa is 3.2. All I know though is that at my job (waffle house) in order to be a basic entry level manager (for one store not even like a district or anything like that) they are looking for a 4 year degree... For some reason I foresee in the very near future that having a degree is going to be like at the very least going to high school and not really worth anything at all unless you get a masters or a phd... So it's like what it use to be except back then it was only public education and to get the same job you didn't have to go thousands of dollars in debt...
#15 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Grades generally don't matter, it's all experience.
#16 Posted by GhoX (4775 posts) -
Grades don't matter in the long run, but depending on the type of job you seek, some employers won't even look at you unless you reach a certain threshold.
#17 Posted by Allicrombie (25122 posts) -
when I was a full time student about 10-15 yrs ago, my GPA was 3.82.
#18 Posted by berto64 (12676 posts) -

aslong its over 2.0 then it shoudnt matter but n all grades shoudnt matter. and my future career is to serve in the military .

#19 Posted by jeremiah06 (7169 posts) -
4.0, computer science and computer information systems, transferred to la tech start in the fall...
#20 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

Right now it's a 3.3 and I'll be serving in the Navy after I graduate.

#21 Posted by soulless4now (41366 posts) -

Speech Pathologist

#22 Posted by princeofshapeir (13715 posts) -
3.1, I'm only a Freshman but I dicked around my first semester. Feels bad, could have easily gotten 4.0+. My major is Economics.
#23 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -
Currently a 3.4 at my university, but including courses that transfer from CC it's around a 3.6. I'm gonna work on getting my university GPA up to at least a 3.5 or higher. Doing a Physics degree at the moment and I'm most likely going to do Applied Mathematics in addition to that, and I'm heavily considering grad school.
#24 Posted by -Tish- (3621 posts) -
I have no idea what my overall GPA is through five semesters... but my previous semester I had a 2.667. But I go to a BIG 10 school and took three of the top ten most difficult classes by GPA. So leave me alone. Majoring in accounting and economics.
#25 Posted by magicalclick (22426 posts) -
Something like 3.6 from grad school. Don't really matter to me. I just want to get the diploma and the paper gives me a bit more potential for my future career. And after a long search in the job market, I am really grateful for finally getting my dream job. It cannot be done without my friends offering me my first job, without him, I am probably still nothing. So, I think one of my great achievement is to be so lucky to have such friend (we just met once, feels like a miracle).
#26 Posted by PonchoTaco (1961 posts) -
3.3. Cisco Networking Professional.
#27 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

2.45 as engineer.

3.71 as safety master.

can't find work becuase everyone wants to ask why i did safety, or that i don't have enough experience. it's been 8 months. about to give up on looking for work in the United States. it is incredibly hard to find a starting job in either fields.

i've sent literally hundreds of resumes and cover letters, most of which are customized to the positions, have had many phone interviews, a skype interview. Have been to 3 career fairs, over 191 linkedin connections with mostly HR and recruiters, with some engineers and safety professionals, I have made many many cold phone calls - where i talk to some young 20-something HR girl who knows nothing, or i'm given the routine answer of "please go to our website":evil:

mother fvcker... i've been to your website i'm calling for an update (hoping a human being has even looked at my stuff), or because your website is busted.

and it so. so pisses me off when like i call Kuwait Oil Company every week, and they lady says to me in January "oh i'm sorry, we did a recruitment drive for new graduates in November, you need to keep up to date with our website":evil::evil::evil: !!!

in about a week, i'm most likely off to Saudi Arabia, and i think i'll likely find better luck there....

#28 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

3.4, major GPA is a 3.8, graduating in May:D

#29 Posted by CKYguy25 (2180 posts) -

i have a 3.2 GPA and i'm going into business

#30 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

3.1, I'm only a Freshman but I dicked around my first semester. Feels bad, could have easily gotten 4.0+. My major is Economics. princeofshapeir
You can't get over a 4...

Anyways I got a 2.7 last semester. I took 18 credit hours and worked a lot, also goofed off way more than I should've. I'm going to probably take a class or two again since I'm slightly ahead and do the grade replacement thing. But at least I don't have to worry about getting a co op now because I'm doing that now and I have to come back fall semester.

Oh and I'm gonna be an electrical engineer. Been working for a car company though and definitely think mechanical engineering is cool. I may take a couple of ME classes for my technical electives.

#31 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29098 posts) -

3.82, bunch of math classes my senior year boosted my GPA. :P

Hoping to do an Econ PhD (although I've also been considering a Finance PhD).

#32 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

chessmaster1989

Man I went into college thinking I was good at math. Got a C in differential equations and multivariable calc. You guys who take classes way harder than that amaze me.

#33 Posted by Saxonhoo (412 posts) -

Junior in College. 3.79. Hopefully going to be an Artillery Officer. Aiming for FSO.

#34 Posted by TwistedShade (3149 posts) -

2.45 as engineer.

3.71 as safety master.

can't find work becuase everyone wants to ask why i did safety, or that i don't have enough experience. it's been 8 months. about to give up on looking for work in the United States. it is incredibly hard to find a starting job in either fields.

i've sent literally hundreds of resumes and cover letters, most of which are customized to the positions, have had many phone interviews, a skype interview. Have been to 3 career fairs, over 191 linkedin connections with mostly HR and recruiters, with some engineers and safety professionals, I have made many many cold phone calls - where i talk to some young 20-something HR girl who knows nothing, or i'm given the routine answer of "please go to our website":evil:

mother fvcker... i've been to your website i'm calling for an update (hoping a human being has even looked at my stuff), or because your website is busted.

and it so. so pisses me off when like i call Kuwait Oil Company every week, and they lady says to me in January "oh i'm sorry, we did a recruitment drive for new graduates in November, you need to keep up to date with our website":evil::evil::evil: !!!

in about a week, i'm most likely off to Saudi Arabia, and i think i'll likely find better luck there....

SaudiFury

What kind of engineering did you study? I always thought engineer's were always in demand.

#35 Posted by dragonfly110 (27058 posts) -

High School: 4.something

Current College: 3.5

#36 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

4.0 GPA.  High school senior.  Gotten some college acceptances, hearing from another in just over a week, and then all the top ones I won't hear back from until late March, early April.  Just finished a lot of the financial aid info needed the past couple days.  So much work...

#37 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

Man, you guys are all already in college.  Making me feel young <.<.

#38 Posted by gamah_killah (13020 posts) -
2.75 GPA.. second year taking pre-reqs to study kinesiology.
#39 Posted by magicalclick (22426 posts) -

2.45 as engineer.

3.71 as safety master.

can't find work becuase everyone wants to ask why i did safety, or that i don't have enough experience.

SaudiFury
Firstly get a :) :) :) face. You don't want to look :evil: in an interview. And since you haven't get a job, I recommend to go desperate. That's what I did and it worked pretty well. Obviously I got lucky when I went desperate, but, being desperate does increase the likelihood of getting a job offer.
#40 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

chessmaster1989
You an Econ major? I am too and the highest math we have to take is calculus 1. Maybe you can count econometrics but yeah not many math classes. I haven't taken econometrics yet but microeconomics is pretty math based and I love it.
#41 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

lo_Pine
You an Econ major? I am too and the highest math we have to take is calculus 1. Maybe you can count econometrics but yeah not many math classes.

He did a double major in math and eco, if I remember correctly.
#42 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -
2.5 with Computer Engineering, unfortunately my high school school ethics came along 2 years of college which I screwed around, but now I've been buckling down and trying to raise it to 3.0 before I graduate.
#43 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Blood-Scribe
You an Econ major? I am too and the highest math we have to take is calculus 1. Maybe you can count econometrics but yeah not many math classes.

Nice.
#44 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] You an Econ major? I am too and the highest math we have to take is calculus 1. Maybe you can count econometrics but yeah not many math classes.

Nice.

Chessmaster, If you did double major did you get a job in either field?
#45 Posted by geraldwillkill (1131 posts) -

3.1 and Iam studying Computer Science. Right now I have so many options for a career but Im in a predicament of pursing OS programming or Computer Security.

#46 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29098 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"] He did a double major in math and eco, if I remember correctly.lo_Pine
Nice.

Chessmaster, If you did double major did you get a job in either field?

I did double major, right now I'm working as a research assistant to a few economics professors to get a bit more experience and a couple more letters of recommendation for PhD.

Well the main reason I did math is because I like math a lot. :P But math is also crucial to economics (economics is more applied math than social science). Unfortunate that your school doesn't offer past Calc 1, but if you're interested in econ you should definitely try to pick up as much math as you can. At least try to pick up multivariable calc and linear algebra, but if you can pick up real analysis and beyond that's great (real analysis will cover topics in multivariable calc as well, just at a higher level).

#47 Posted by Mitchell_1797 (354 posts) -

mine used to be 1.7 for some time 0_0 its like 3.7 now

#48 Posted by David719 (1821 posts) -

Around 3.8 and I'm planning to transfer over to another college to study geophysics.

#49 Posted by CWEBB04z (4561 posts) -
GPA is overrated. I have a 3.0 but I don't think an employer cares as long as you have that degree and experience.
#50 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
3.5. My current major is computer science, but I was pushed into it by my family and I wish I could do nursing instead.