College Majors out-earned by HS graduates by up to $200k.

#1 Posted by loco145 (10771 posts) -

The self-reported earnings of art majors from Murray State are so low that after two decades, a typical high school grad will have out-earned them by nearly $200,000. Here are the degrees (i.e.: specific majors at specific schools) with the lowest 20-year net return, according to PayScale. They are all public schools: Bold names are for in-state students.

Source.

#2 Posted by RenegadeSteve (174 posts) -

Why's Eastern Michigan University up their twice?

#3 Posted by lostrib (36953 posts) -

We get it, you hate college. Give it a rest

#4 Posted by MrGeezer (56333 posts) -

I think that has less to do with the major and more to do with the occupation. If you were merely to look at ARTISTS, then I'd wager that the degree-holding artists are doing better than the ones who only have a high school education.

But like I said, that's more about the occupation than the major. You don't become an artist to get rich, you become an artist because of a need to create art. If you're in it to get rich then you freaking SHOULD change majors.

#5 Posted by comp_atkins (31418 posts) -

thanks for the info i guess.

#6 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@renegadesteve said:

And with different numbers.

#7 Posted by WickedChainy (289 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@renegadesteve said:

And with different numbers.

All of the ones in bold are up there twice. Bold is for in-state students.

#8 Edited by loco145 (10771 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

I think that has less to do with the major and more to do with the occupation. If you were merely to look at ARTISTS, then I'd wager that the degree-holding artists are doing better than the ones who only have a high school education.

But like I said, that's more about the occupation than the major. You don't become an artist to get rich, you become an artist because of a need to create art. If you're in it to get rich then you freaking SHOULD change majors.

There is a big difference between being not rich and being nearly $200k in the hole, however.

#9 Edited by wis3boi (31375 posts) -

Yes, TC, I'll have fries with that. And make it snappy

#10 Posted by MrGeezer (56333 posts) -
@loco145 said:

@MrGeezer said:

There is a big difference between being not rich and being nearly $200k in the hole, however.

It doesn't say they're nearly $200k in the hole, it says they're nearly $200k behind people who only have a high school education.

#11 Posted by Master_Live (14578 posts) -

TC, have you gone to college?

#12 Posted by loco145 (10771 posts) -
@Master_Live said:

Does it matters?

#13 Posted by lostrib (36953 posts) -

@loco145 said:
@Master_Live said:

Does it matters?

yes

#14 Posted by loco145 (10771 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@loco145 said:
@Master_Live said:

Does it matters?

yes

Why?

#15 Edited by lostrib (36953 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@lostrib said:

@loco145 said:
@Master_Live said:

Does it matters?

yes

Why?

because

#16 Edited by Master_Live (14578 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@lostrib said:

@loco145 said:
@Master_Live said:

Does it matters?

yes

Why?

It gives us perspective. Are you going in this crusade because you are currently or were at one point saddle with crushing student debt loans? Maybe you are just little bit bitter that you couldn't get into college. Maybe you got accepted into college but decided not to enroll because you thought the cost was too prohibited. Just stuff.

#17 Edited by loco145 (10771 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@loco145 said:

@lostrib said:

@loco145 said:
@Master_Live said:

Does it matters?

yes

Why?

It gives us perspective. Are you going in this crusade because you are currently or were at one point saddle with crushing student debt loans? Maybe you are just little bit bitter that you couldn't get into college. Maybe you got accepted into college but decided not to enroll because you thought the cos was too prohibited. Just stuff.

Well, I got a full ride. Actually, I got payed for studying during postgrad. I don't get why people fix on me instead on the articles I present, though.

#18 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58109 posts) -

Well, that's because university doesn't teach you how to play dress up and spew bullshit in interviews. Something to be proud of, I'm sure.

#19 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@lostrib said:

We get it, you hate college. Give it a rest

It sounds like somebody's trying to justify their Starbucks job to themselves.

Money's fine and dandy, but where's the poll that asks high school graduates and college graduates not about their income, but the percentage of each group that have careers they're happy with and enjoy working in? I never went to college for the money, I went to college because I didn't want to climb the rungs of Target to make a living.

#20 Posted by CodingGenius (8118 posts) -

What's the source of the original table? How was the "self-reported" sample chosen? Are those based on present salaries extrapolated until retirement?

#21 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

Just putting this out here.

Sometimes it's not about how much you're earning, but what it is that you're doing. Ever hear the phrase "Do something you love and you won't work a day in your life?"

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (88319 posts) -

2-3 years in the trucking industry and an owner-operator can pull in excess of $100,000 USD gross (remember, this is business income mind you).

#23 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

Sometimes it's not about how much you're earning, but what it is that you're doing. Ever hear the phrase "Do something you love and you won't work a day in your life?"

Yep. Everything about this. Going to college isn't just about making more money, it's about opening an assload of doors to the career that you want.

#24 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Yep. Everything about this. Going to college isn't just about making more money, it's about opening an assload of doors to the career that you want.

That's why I think a lot of people become disatisfied with their jobs. they view college as an investment to make money in the future, and, while it very well could be, I think it should be more about finding a career that you can wake up to most days and think "I'm content with this." Obviously, not job will be pain free, but, to me, work is a lot more tolerable when it interests me.

For instance, i'm an English/ Creative writing major. I'm not someone who has their head in the clouds who thinks that I'm going to become some big shot author, though. But, there ARE fields out there that you can get with majors in those fields, (mostly publishing) and that's something I'd like to do, even if there's not a huge amount of money in it. I enjoy reading, I enjoy writing, so a job where you can apply both those skills would be great for me.

#25 Edited by sherman-tank1 (8134 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: "Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life."

#26 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

@sherman-tank1: Whoops. I mess things like that up on occasion. Same idea, though.

#27 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: If you fancy yourself a story-teller, you might want to look into screenwriting. That's what I went to school for, and it's an absolute blast... Plus, to keep it relevant to the original topic, the pay is stupidly outrageous.