Coastal Living And Storms

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

With Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy now a footnote in the history books and still being felt by those in the affected areas, do you not think it is time for localities to start restricting building in coastal areas including barrier islands, the sea shore and any area susceptible flooding due to storm surges or extremely high tides?

Also, should authorities be more forceful in getting people to evacuate an area when mandatory evacuation orders are given? More people died from Sandy than Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Irene combined (which went through some of the same areas that Sandy did). Remember, while you do not have to leave your home, it is really uncool to endanger someone else's life due to your stupidity.

#2 Posted by yummifullz (139 posts) -

IMO if you want to live on the water or a beach, there are tons of beautiful lakes in the U.S. Stay safe, move inland mates!

#3 Posted by SilentFireX (1951 posts) -

With Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy now a footnote in the history books and still being felt by those in the affected areas, do you not think it is time for localities to start restricting building in coastal areas including barrier islands, the sea shore and any area susceptible flooding due to storm surges or extremely high tides?

Also, should authorities be more forceful in getting people to evacuate an area when mandatory evacuation orders are given? More people died from Sandy than Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Irene combined (which went through some of the same areas that Sandy did). Remember, while you do not have to leave your home, it is really uncool to endanger someone else's life due to your stupidity.

WhiteKnight77

No, in my mind, people should merely evactuate when the "order" is given. If they choose to stay, they're choosing to ignore an obvious threat to their lives and needlessly endangering the lives of rescue operators who then put their very existence on the line in order to help selfish idiots.Granted, I accept that there are some extraordinary circumstances, but it angers me when I see complaints about the response time of assistance when they had no business staying in the path of an obvious threat.

That being said, I don't believe the government has any right toforce you from your home or deprive you of your property without due process.