Claiming the nationality of parents or ancestors?

#1 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

Can someone who's born and raised in a country other than that/ those that their parent(s) were born in claim their parent's/ parents' nationality/ nationalities, in your opinion?

For example, do you think an American can identify as Irish if their parents were born in Ireland?

#2 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23072 posts) -

Ethnicity: Yes

Nationality: No

My parents were born in Mexico but I was born in the U.S. I have never claimed to be Mexican or from Mexico but I have claimed to be of Mexican descent.

#3 Posted by wis3boi (30895 posts) -

My parents were born in Mexico but I was born in the U.S. I have never claimed to be Mexican or from Mexico but I have claimed to be of Mexican descent.

This. I am an American of Polish/Italian descent

#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16402 posts) -

I just say I'm from america. I couldn't care less about anyone's ethnicity/ race/ whatever. Focusing on those so much only causes problems anyways.

#5 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

If your dad is an italian, you are italian. It is simple.

If your mom is american, you are an american too.

You share your ethnicity with your parents. Citizenship doesn't always depend on ethnicity, though.

#6 Posted by themajormayor (25643 posts) -

Being born in a country doesn't mean so much with regards to my ethnicity. It's just a passport which is just a piece of paper. Your ethnicity seems much more enduring to me.

#7 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@Praisedasun:

My father was born in Haiti; my mother was born in Jamaica; and I was born in the U.S.. Can I call myself Haitian?

#8 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -
#9 Edited by themajormayor (25643 posts) -
#10 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -
#11 Edited by themajormayor (25643 posts) -
#12 Posted by Aljosa23 (24304 posts) -

It depends on the person, I guess. I was born in Bosnia but raised in Canada and I will always identify myself as Canadian because Bosnia is a shithole.

#13 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@Aljosa23:

So what if Bosnia is a "shithole"? Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere, but I have no shame in saying that I'm Haitian.

You are Bosnian.

#14 Posted by Behardy24 (2340 posts) -

I agree with this.

#15 Posted by plageus900 (925 posts) -

Can someone who's born and raised in a country other than that/ those that their parent(s) were born in claim their parent's/ parents' nationality/ nationalities, in your opinion?

For example, do you think an American can identify as Irish if their parents were born in Ireland?

No.

But you can claim ethnicity.

So, in my case, I'm of 100% German descent, but my nationality is American.

#16 Posted by plageus900 (925 posts) -

@Aljosa23:

So what if Bosnia is a "shithole"? Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere, but I have no shame in saying that I'm Haitian.

You are Bosnian.

No he isn't. If his citizenship lays with Canada, then he is Canadian.

#17 Posted by Marth6352 (27 posts) -

Yes you definitely can, but it depends on the wishes of the person.

For example, my parents are from Nigeria, I was born in the USA and I have been raised here my whole life, yet I have citizenship in Nigeria due to my parents being born in the country. I can claim to be Nigerian since I have both American and Nigerian citizenship.

#18 Posted by foxhound_fox (86919 posts) -

Most countries base nationality/citizenship off of being born in the country. Some base it on marriage into the country (through an already citizen). Others still base it on extended residency and testing of history/language/etc.

The easiest way to become a citizen of most countries is to marry someone who is a citizen of said country.

#19 Posted by Barbariser (6704 posts) -

No, unless you went back to your parents' home country and became a national somehow.

Also, your parents being born in country X doesn't make you a member of country X's dominant ethnicity. My parents were born in Malaysia, but ethnically they're Chinese, not Malay, and that applies to me as well.

#20 Posted by thegerg (14398 posts) -

I've always been curious as to why people pick and choose what part of their family's history to identify themselves as. They may claim to be Italian, but ignore the rest of their family's long history.

#21 Edited by BranKetra (47495 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

As far as I know, you are a national of the sovereignty you are born into (or "under," I suppose one could say). I could see rebel citizens of a annexed country that has become part of another nation defiantly claiming they are their previous nation in spirit while not in form, but that would be an unusual situation in the modern age.

#22 Posted by GamerForca (7070 posts) -

Yes you definitely can, but it depends on the wishes of the person.

For example, my parents are from Nigeria, I was born in the USA and I have been raised here my whole life, yet I have citizenship in Nigeria due to my parents being born in the country. I can claim to be Nigerian since I have both American and Nigerian citizenship.

Same here. I hold both American and Portuguese citizenship. I was raised in the US, but I claim both nationalities.

#24 Edited by lamprey263 (22438 posts) -

I'm way too ethnically mixed to be of any nationality of other than where I was born. My brother did some research and found we can claim Italian citizenship if we wanted, I don't really feel like going to live in Italy though. I don't speak the language and I imagine employment would be very difficult, plus Europe has all those fascist gangs that hate foreigners especially during harsh economic times. And I've no respect for the Italian criminal justice system (nor do I really for the US either but Italy make's the US DOJ look divine).

#25 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6692 posts) -

Only correct answer.

#26 Edited by hippiesanta (9733 posts) -

I love the colission of Doktor manhattans

#27 Posted by Marth6352 (27 posts) -

@Shottayouth13-: nope not even. I can definitely claim Nigerian citizenship,

#28 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16050 posts) -

It's just a point of reference. Countries were made up by people and so our names. Using it beyond that is just silly. No one really knows where their ancestors came from thousands of years ago.

#29 Posted by gamerguru100 (10401 posts) -
#30 Posted by gamerguru100 (10401 posts) -

I'm an American of French and Scandinavian ethnicity, but I mostly just identify with my nationality since my ethnicity isn't hugely held in high importance to me. If I had to choose to identify more with my Scandinavian or French ethnicity, I'd go with French because I look nothing like a (stereotypical) Scandinavian (you know, blue eyes, blonde hair, and skin so white it burns after being exposed to the sun for two seconds). I have dark brown eyes, dark brown hair, and a light olive skin tone that can tan in the summer, so I look more like a southern Frenchman than a typical Norwegian or Swede any damn day of the week.

#31 Posted by SolidSnake35 (57947 posts) -

They will always be glory supporters. They can't handle being on the losing side.

#32 Posted by themajormayor (25643 posts) -