Christian bakers who refused cake order for gay wedding forced to close shop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

A husband-and-wife bakery shop team in Oregon were forced to close their shop doors and move to cheaper digs their home after gay-rights activists hounded them and drove away contract business because they refused for Christian reasons to bake for a same-sex wedding.

Aaron and Melissa Klein own and operate Sweet Cakes by Melissa. In the past few months, theyve faced heated scrutiny some in the form of physical threats from those in the gay-rights crowd who decried their May refusal to bake for a lesbian couple who wanted to marry.

The Kleins cited their Christian beliefs of traditional marriage when they turned down that business gig, The Blaze reported. But the lesbian couple filed a complaint with the state, accusing the shop owners of discrimination.

Since, theyve been hounded by vicious telephone calls and emails.

Some of those threats were shocking. One emailer wished for the couples children to fall ill. Another expressed hope that Mr. Klein should be shot and even raped, The Blaze reported.

And yet another wrote: Heres hoping you go out of business, you bigot.

The couple said on top of that, their vendors were badgered and harassed into stopping all associations with the bakery.

The Kleins say theyre now closing up their doors and moving their operations to their home. Their business, they say, has suffered a serious revenue hit from the unexpected activism and backlash.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/2/christian-bakers-who-refused-cake-order-gay-weddin/

Pretty shitty situation for all but damn, should have just baked the cake. Free market at work etc etc.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Karma bites.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
That's fvcked up. Of course the discrimination was unjustified and reprehensible, but that kind of response is disproportionate and completely uncalled for.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
>was about to post success kid >reads article

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

That's fvcked up. Of course the discrimination was unjustified and reprehensible, but that kind of response is disproportionate and completely uncalled for.ghoklebutter
Agreed. This just goes to show that even the side that believe they are righteous can do some fvcked up things too.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

.meme-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
That's fvcked up. Of course the discrimination was unjustified and reprehensible, but that kind of response is disproportionate and completely uncalled for.ghoklebutter
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Hypocritical ''progressives'' at their finest.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm all for gay rights and stuff... so I am conflicted. Denying a Lesbian wedding cake is mean. Also stupid because you're denying $. But on the other hand, you totally can refuse any business from anyone who walks in the store. It's your store. I feel badly for them because this got so out of hand... but I also am kind of happy? 

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Yeah I'm not going to stand with the actions of those who helped drive them out of business. While that business shouldn't have been discriminatory in the first place (not to mention you don't turn away business when you run a business), hounding those people until they no longer have a business is absolutely not the way to go.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'm all for gay rights and stuff... so I am conflicted. Denying a Lesbian wedding cake is mean. Also stupid because you're denying $. But on the other hand, you totally can refuse any business from anyone who walks in the store. It's your store. I feel badly for them because this got so out of hand... but I also am kind of happy? 

Shmiity

nope, not one bit to be honest.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
When you go into business you sometimes have to ask yourself if your beliefs are strong enough to screw with your bottom line. That couple seems to have learned that the hard way. Even a big company like Chick-Fil-A is probably losing business for the beliefs of their management even though they aren't denying service outright to people with alternative lifestyles like the couple did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

But on the other hand, you totally can refuse any business from anyone who walks in the store.

Shmiity

Depends on the reason but I'm not sure if federal law covers sexual preference. If they refused service to a black or Jewish couple they'd be liable.

Edit: No idea about Oregon state law but since that state is pretty liberal there's probably something there that covers same-sex couples.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EagleEyedOne
When you go into business you sometimes have to ask yourself if your beliefs are strong enough to screw with your bottom line. That couple seems to have learned that the hard way. Even a big company like Chick-Fil-A is probably losing business for the beliefs of their management even though they aren't denying service outright to people with alternative lifestyles like the couple did.ad1x2
The people that harassed this business are affiliated with people who promote ''freedom to be who you are". Yet look what they did.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
why are the gay crowd learning from the conservative right?
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shmiity

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

But on the other hand, you totally can refuse any business from anyone who walks in the store.

Aljosa23

Depends on the reason but I'm not sure if federal law covers sexual preference. If they refused service to a black or Jewish couple they'd be liable.

I mean, sure. If you publically say: "It was a gay cake, so we wont serve them" you would be absolutely screwed. That's why I said, the hate against them isn't really surprising (and I personally think they deserve a little). But the public drove them out of business... and really went overboard. I am not really condoning the behavior of the public... but when you make stupid anti-gay sentiments, you're going to get destroyed.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

closing up shop for refusing ONE couple is totally uncalled for, doesnt everybody have the right to say no over there?

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EagleEyedOne
why are the gay crowd learning from the conservative right?Lonelynight
Why else is the conservative right fighting so hard to keep it the same? Power is the same no matter which hands its in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Just looked it up:

http://www.oregon.gov/boli/CRD/pages/c_crprotoc.aspx

State Discrimination Law
In order to be protected by Oregon´s discrimination laws, employees must be employed by a company with at least one or more employees, except where noted. Protected classes include:
Race / color
National origin
Sex (includes gender, pregnancy and sexual harassment)
Sexual orientation
Religion
Retaliation for opposing an unlawful employment practice
Association with a member of a protected class
Age (18 or older)
Marital status
Physical/Mental disability (6 or more employees)
Injured workers (6 or more employees)
Family relationship.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Pretty shitty situation for all but damn, should have just baked the cake. Free market at work etc etc.Aljosa23
Yep. I mean, I'm obviously not going to defend anyone who took this to criminal levels, such as making actual threats of violence. That shouldn't be tolerated or condoned, ever. But aside from that, free speech is a b****. Just as I support this couple's right to not bake the cake, I also have to let out a little smile when I see that the backlash forced them to close shop. For the most part we're all free to make whatever statements we want to make, but that doesn't mean that society has to coddle our asses and make that easy for us.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Ridiculous. Not to the bakers, they're fine, but the state for closing them. They SHOULD have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they f!cking want. Its their own store, they shouldn't have to be told who to give their business to.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

That seems like a pretty disproportionate response to the entire situation :|

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
The threats were obviously uncalled for. I don't have any sympathy for them closing though.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
The threats were obviously uncalled for. I don't have any sympathy for them closing though. HoolaHoopMan
pretty much this.
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

Gone out of business huh? Maybe they should have thought through turning down money a little more.

Having your own beliefs is well and good, and everyone in America is entitled to freedom of speech and expression, but before they opened up a store and went into business they should have looked up the definition of the phrase "word of mouth". No matter what you believe it makes no business sense to piss off an entire demographic of potential customers.

Bottom line, they got what they deserved and have no one to blame but themselves.

P.S. The fact that the LGBT community severely overreacted and whatever defense the cake shop thought up are both irrelevant, because this probably would have happened even if there was no discrimination claim or any of that jazz.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

They SHOULD have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they f!cking want. Its their own store, they shouldn't have to be told who to give their business to.

Wolfetan

Do people actually believe this shit? Just because it's your store doesn't give you the right to discriminate.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EagleEyedOne

Ridiculous. Not to the bakers, they're fine, but the state for closing them. They SHOULD have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they f!cking want. Its their own store, they shouldn't have to be told who to give their business to.

Wolfetan
Agreed. In the words of the great Jamie Dimon- "Its a free, fvcking, country"
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
What a bunch of assholes. You dont threaten people and force them to close shop over a damn cake.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shmiity

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]The threats were obviously uncalled for. I don't have any sympathy for them closing though. Allicrombie
pretty much this.

Much more concise sentence of what I was trying to say. 

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

They SHOULD have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason they f!cking want. Its their own store, they shouldn't have to be told who to give their business to.

Aljosa23

Do people actually believe this shit? Just because it's your store doesn't give you the right to discriminate.

What about those "We have the right to refuse service to anyone" signs? Are they not legal?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

What about those "We have the right to refuse service to anyone" signs? Are they not legal? Capitan_Kid
You can put up whatever sign you want. What you can't do is refuse service for "whatever reason". If the couple was black and they refused for that reason, the bakery would be liable.

I don't even understand the mindset that these people have. Why would you refuse someone that wants to give you money? smh

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

EagleEyedOne

Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, the state DIDN'T close them down. They CHOSE to close down because the backlash was so severe that it basically destroyed their business. And that IS what happens in "a free fvcking country". The freedom that allows them to turn down serving gay weddings is EXACTLY the same freedom that allows people to complain until the business gets run into the ground. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom from consequences. Threats of death and violence are clearly wrong, but aside from that there is NOTHING wrong with the public putting pressure on a company for engaging in practices that the public deems to be wrong. There is NOTHING wrong with the public putting pressure on vendors for continuing to deal with such a company. That IS free speech.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Wow, that's pathetic, and I'm not talking about the christian bakers either, though that doesn't mean I agree with their views.

Honestly, just move on and find some one who will provide the service. It's the bakers profit loss anyway. No need to continue hounding on them for their beliefs. They own the business, they can refuse service to anyone they want.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shmiity

freedom of speech, bitch? well that's goneAckad

No, it's still very much intact. But your actions still have consequences. Sure, you can't get arrested for it, but you need to be ready for the "freedom of speech" responses you receive in return

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

I support the right of the business to refuse service on grounds of their beliefs.  I support groups drawing attention to and advocating boycotts based on those beliefs.  Obviously, I do not support the expressed threat of physical violence against the business/couple.  The issue of the vendors seems more of a PR decision more than anything else.

My guess is that closing the business has more to do with loss of profitability form the negative PR instead of fear from the threats. 

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

MrGeezer

Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, the state DIDN'T close them down. They CHOSE to close down because the backlash was so severe that it basically destroyed their business. And that IS what happens in "a free fvcking country". The freedom that allows them to turn down serving gay weddings is EXACTLY the same freedom that allows people to complain until the business gets run into the ground. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom from consequences. Threats of death and violence are clearly wrong, but aside from that there is NOTHING wrong with the public putting pressure on a company for engaging in practices that the public deems to be wrong. There is NOTHING wrong with the public putting pressure on vendors for continuing to deal with such a company. That IS free speech.

You're right. The State did not close them down and the business was merely forced out of the market due to consumer unrest. It is a free fvcking country.

If they knew what was good for them they should have just kept their stupid mouth shut.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Gay community must have some powerful figure like Al-Sharpton ..... (sarcasm...lol)
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Pretty shitty situation for all but damn, should have just baked the cake. Free market at work etc etc.MrGeezer
Yep. I mean, I'm obviously not going to defend anyone who took this to criminal levels, such as making actual threats of violence. That shouldn't be tolerated or condoned, ever. But aside from that, free speech is a b****. Just as I support this couple's right to not bake the cake, I also have to let out a little smile when I see that the backlash forced them to close shop. For the most part we're all free to make whatever statements we want to make, but that doesn't mean that society has to coddle our asses and make that easy for us.

Absolutely THIS!

If anything, the idea that they would refuse business for such a petty thing makes me think they weren't the greatest business people around...

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It's rare to see a story where homofobes are actually the better and more respectable side of the conflict.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Pretty shitty situation for all but damn, should have just baked the cake. Free market at work etc etc.LostProphetFLCL

Absolutely THIS!

If anything, the idea that they would refuse business for such a petty thing makes me think they weren't the greatest business people around...

The controversy lies with the fact that the gay community advocates freedom to live your life as you wish. Yet when a business like this disagrees to serve gay people they force them out of the market.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
If you own a business don't be terrible people and discriminate. Also lol at blaze/washingtontimes sources
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
Let me make a comparison that all of you can understand. Remember when Microsoft announced the Xbox One, and everyone thought it looked like $hit? Do you remember the backlash over that? Remember people complaining about how it violated consumer rights (which it didn't)? Do you remember how the backlash was so severe that Microsoft basically had to do a complete 180 and abandon a $hitload of the X1's policies and features? Well, jesus...what happened to "if you don't like it don't buy it"? Because that seems to me to be a very clear instance of the public putting so much pressure on a company that that company is forced to make some changes. What...is it wrong when people made complaints to Microsoft about the X1? Was the public backlash (for the most part) a legitimate exercising of free speech, or should the whiners have been forced to just shut their mouths and hate the product in silence? If I sign up for phone service from Verizon*, or want to sign up for phone service from Verizon, or am merely aware of Verizon, what right do I have to speak to them and of them? If they make a particularly insensitive and offensive ad campaign, am I not allowed to call them on the phone or send them an email in order to tell them how much I disapprove? Am I not allowed to tell all of my friends about how much they suck and encourage them to send disapproving emails if they also find it offensive? *Just to make it clear, I have no beef with Verizon. I was just thinking of a company and that was one of the first names that came to mind. I am not accusing Verizon of making bad products or giving bad service or insulting/offending people. Their presence here is merely hypothetical.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EagleEyedOne
[QUOTE="Person0"]If you own a business don't be terrible people and discriminate. Also lol at blaze/washingtontimes sources

It is a private mom/pop business. They can discriminate who they want. If you don't like it then don't buy their products. One does not have to start a social riot via social media and send death threats to the owner because of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="Person0"]If you own a business don't be terrible people and discriminate. Also lol at blaze/washingtontimes sources

It is a private mom/pop business. They can discriminate who they want. If you don't like it then don't buy their products. One does not have to start a social riot via social media and send death threats to the owner because of it.

no they can't discriminate against anyone.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 EagleEyedOne
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="Person0"]If you own a business don't be terrible people and discriminate. Also lol at blaze/washingtontimes sources

Honestly, I haven't looked up the federal law or Oregon state law on this. Which law says that you cannot?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The threats were unnecesary.  

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shmiity

[QUOTE="Person0"]If you own a business don't be terrible people and discriminate. Also lol at blaze/washingtontimes sourcesEagleEyedOne

This situation really is a dilemma. On one hand, you should be able to refuse service to whoever you want. But it's 2013. If you have any anti-gay sentiments, I just don't feel bad for you. I think you're a backwards ass hat. Should people be sending death threats? Of course not. But if you make a public anti-gay statement, forget about your business. Your business is now associated with discrimination. You're absolutely f*cked. (and a part of me is glad people hated on them).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] It is a private mom/pop business. They can discriminate who they want. If you don't like it then don't buy their products. One does not have to start a social riot via social media and send death threats to the owner because of it.EagleEyedOne

Honestly, I haven't looked up the federal law or Oregon state law on this. Which law says that you cannot?

Federal law forbids discrimination about some things like race but not sexual orientation. Oregon state discrimination forbids sexual discrimination.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Pretty damn dumb. The activists who issued such threats should be ashamed.