-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts

It's been awhile since I've posted! I wont' go into details of what happened, but as you can see on the front bumper of my car, there are a couple sections of chipped paint. Does anybody know exactly what the best approach to fixing it would be? Much help is appreciated! Picture is posted below

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By -RocBoys9489-

@thegerg said:

I can't really see any chips, but there appear to be some scuffs. How deep are they? Is the bumper itself gouged at all, or is it just the paint?

Yea, luckily the paint color is very similar to the plastic color of the bumper. The bumper isn't dented, but the chips appear to be pretty deep; I'm pretty sure the paint is about completely off. The size of the first chip is a couple inches by a few inches, the second is like an inch by six inches. You can see the first one closer to the tire, the second one is a foot or so to the right.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -RocBoys9489-

@thegerg said:

@-RocBoys9489- said:

The size of the first chip is a couple inches by a few inches, the second is like an inch by six inches.

Then it doesn't sound like a chip.

IOT repair damage like that it needs to be sanded and painted.

Alright, is it practical/easy to DIY? Have any suggestions on products to buy? I don't want to spend hundreds on it, although I have the money : P

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -RocBoys9489-

@thegerg said:

@-RocBoys9489- said:

@thegerg said:

@-RocBoys9489- said:

The size of the first chip is a couple inches by a few inches, the second is like an inch by six inches.

Then it doesn't sound like a chip.

IOT repair damage like that it needs to be sanded and painted.

Alright, is it practical/easy to DIY? Have any suggestions on products to buy? I don't want to spend hundreds on it, although I have the money : P

If you have the right tools it's pretty simple, but most people don't have the compressor and sprayer setup to do it right. Paint is one of those things on a car that you really want to be done right, because it's really easy to tell when it's done wrong.

Hmmmm...well it doesn't need to look perfect, I know I should probably use spray paint; but say if I got some sand paper and brushed it on in thin layers repeatedly, could it look alright you think? Especially with the dark color?

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -RocBoys9489-

@thegerg said:

@-RocBoys9489-: Well, one reason that cars are sprayed instead of brushed is that you will see brush strokes in high-gloss finishes like automotive coats.

If it was me, honestly, I would leave it as is if you're not willing to spend the money to have it done right.

Yea, it's sure looking like that'll likely be the way to go then...could I try using some masking tape to spray it you think?

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -RocBoys9489-

@thegerg said:

@-RocBoys9489- said:

@thegerg said:

@-RocBoys9489-: Well, one reason that cars are sprayed instead of brushed is that you will see brush strokes in high-gloss finishes like automotive coats.

If it was me, honestly, I would leave it as is if you're not willing to spend the money to have it done right.

Yea, it's sure looking like that'll likely be the way to go then...could I try using some masking tape to spray it you think?

If you do, make sure that you mask off and paint the whole bumper.

Alright, so should I buy anything else to put into the areas it's chipped?

Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Installing
Member since 2010 • 678 Posts

I'd leave it alone if I were you. High chance you'll just make it worse.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By -RocBoys9489-

@Installing said:

I'd leave it alone if I were you. High chance you'll just make it worse.

Yea, you're probably right with that too. Cold I just sand over it a bit and wash it to maybe make it look better? Like I said, and thank god, the paint color is very similar to the plastic of the bumper

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I don't want to sound like a dick here, but it's the truth so here goes. If you're asking this question it's probably likely you don't know the right steps to fix this damage properly, without making it look worse. I suggest a panel beater, or a friend that knows what he's doing if money is an issue.

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts

Just leave it be. Since the bumper is plastic there is no real worry of rust or any other major issues. Hell... I can barely see it. I think you can count your blessings and be happy your car isn't white. That would have been more noticeable. At this point I'd check if your car doesn't have any outstanding recalls out at the moment. I kinda quit paying attention after the initial batch, but it appears GM keeps adding cars by the week.