China bans government purchases of Windows 8...

#1 Posted by angeldeb82 (1031 posts) -
#2 Posted by Boddicker (2695 posts) -

Not a biggie.

They'll just pirate it as usual.

#3 Posted by BossPerson (9456 posts) -

fuck windows, get linux

#4 Edited by Hexagon_777 (20038 posts) -

Not a biggie.

Yea, um, this is the Chinese government we are talking about, not random Chinese users.

#5 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Yea, um, this is the Chinese government we are talking about, not random Chinese users.

Let's assume that the Chinese Government did actually pirate Windows 8. What legal recourse could Microsoft use to strike back?

#6 Edited by Hexagon_777 (20038 posts) -

It makes sense not to use a proprietary operating system developed by a sizeable foreign organisation under the control of a foreign governmental organisation that doesn't give any amount of flying turds about privacy and security. Of course, it's just Windows 8 that was banned on government PCs, so Windows 7 is still on the table, but so is Linux.

#7 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20038 posts) -

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Let's assume that the Chinese Government did actually pirate Windows 8. What legal recourse could Microsoft use to strike back?

Sanctions of sorts, maybe? Heck if I know. I highly doubt a government like China's would want to deal with the security issues associated with pirated Windows. Heck, for a government to deal with the security issues associated with legally obtained Windows is strange enough already.

#8 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Sanctions of sorts, maybe? Heck if I know. I highly doubt a government like China's would want to deal with the security issues associated with pirated Windows. Heck, for a government to deal with the security issues associated with legally obtained Windows is strange enough already.

I'm wondering whether the U.S. Government or any other government would bother imposing sanctions on behalf of a privately owned company. Also, LOL @ the part of your post in bold.

#9 Edited by Hexagon_777 (20038 posts) -
#10 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20038 posts) -

@Hexagon_777 said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

I'm wondering whether the U.S. Government or any other government would bother imposing sanctions on behalf of a privately owned company. Also, LOL @ the part of your post in bold.

It doesn't really matter in the end, Microsoft has already said that it would rather have people pirate Windows than use Linux.