China bans government purchases of Windows 8...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

...surprising Microsoft! Well, that's just great! How will China protect itself from hackers now when the country itself is the hacker trying to steal our data?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2157220/china-bans-government-purchases-of-windows-8-surprising-microsoft.html

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Not a biggie.

They'll just pirate it as usual.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

**** windows, get linux

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Yea, um, this is the Chinese government we are talking about, not random Chinese users.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Yea, um, this is the Chinese government we are talking about, not random Chinese users.

Let's assume that the Chinese Government did actually pirate Windows 8. What legal recourse could Microsoft use to strike back?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hexagon_777

It makes sense not to use a proprietary operating system developed by a sizeable foreign organisation under the control of a foreign governmental organisation that doesn't give any amount of flying turds about privacy and security. Of course, it's just Windows 8 that was banned on government PCs, so Windows 7 is still on the table, but so is Linux.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hexagon_777
@BluRayHiDef said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Let's assume that the Chinese Government did actually pirate Windows 8. What legal recourse could Microsoft use to strike back?

Sanctions of sorts, maybe? Heck if I know. I highly doubt a government like China's would want to deal with the security issues associated with pirated Windows. Heck, for a government to deal with the security issues associated with legally obtained Windows is strange enough already.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

Sanctions of sorts, maybe? Heck if I know. I highly doubt a government like China's would want to deal with the security issues associated with pirated Windows. Heck, for a government to deal with the security issues associated with legally obtained Windows is strange enough already.

I'm wondering whether the U.S. Government or any other government would bother imposing sanctions on behalf of a privately owned company. Also, LOL @ the part of your post in bold.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hexagon_777

Seems relevant: Huge downloads for Ubuntu Kylin 14.04 LTS, first OEM partner announced for China

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hexagon_777
@BluRayHiDef said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Boddicker said:

Not a biggie.

I'm wondering whether the U.S. Government or any other government would bother imposing sanctions on behalf of a privately owned company. Also, LOL @ the part of your post in bold.

It doesn't really matter in the end, Microsoft has already said that it would rather have people pirate Windows than use Linux.