chess or starcraft, which one do you think needs more skill?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="gameboy343"]

you can say this about anything though.

DJ-Lafleur

No, not really. Most video games can be mastered fairly easily. Just ask me about BF3.

Chess is not so easily mastered.

have you actually beena part of any competitive scene for any video game, out of curiosity? Saying that most video games can be mastered fairly easy is just wrong.

Case in point
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#52 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="punkpunker"]

chess no question.

chess only needs intelligence, while starcraft requires both intelligence and physical skills.

Aside from having vision and two functional hands, what physical skills does starcraft require? Cause chess needs both vision, but yeah only one hand I guess.

There is a difference between two functional hands and two very fast, agile and durable hands. You don't need an output of 200+ APM to be good at chess. On the other hand I think chess offers greater strategic depth than Starcraft.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

neither is starcraft 2, I'm not saying which one is harder, but saying you can easily master starcraft 2 is just stupid. and lol at comparing starcraft to bf.Lonelynight

The fact still remains that StarCraft 2 is easier to master than Chess.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

have you actually beena part of any competitive scene for any video game, out of curiosity? Saying that most video games can be mastered fairly easy is just wrong.

DJ-Lafleur

CS:S and C&C Generals when I was younger.

Compared to Chess, yes they can be. I've been playing Chess most of my life and I haven't mastered the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59921cb703b3a
deactivated-59921cb703b3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 deactivated-59921cb703b3a
Member since 2012 • 353 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="punkpunker"]

chess no question.

worlock77

chess only needs intelligence, while starcraft requires both intelligence and physical skills.

What physical skills does Starcraft require that Chess does not?

High apm. At least if you're playing against decent players. Have you seen professional players at it?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]But there are even more moves in StarcraftZeviander
Two: 1. Rush 2. Turtle That's how most matches I have watched turn out.

um, no.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#57 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
As someone who won several local tournaments when I was in high school, I'm going to say chess.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
This is a tough choice both have their merits. High functional APM is something most people will never be able to achieve. And being able to see multiple moves ahead in a chess match is also something most people will never be able to achieve. I would say they are pretty even.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
oh and quake live obv takes the most skill
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

chess...and a videogame....

wat

Avatar image for HomicidalCherry
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 HomicidalCherry
Member since 2009 • 959 Posts

Chess. Strategically, it's like comparing a puddle to the Mariana's Trench. The only thing that makes it close is that Starcraft requires good reflexes and high APM. Chess is just a much much more strategically complex game. If I devoted my entire life to Starcraft 2, I think I could make High Masters/Grand Masters. I could never compete at that level in something like chess.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
No. Chess takes decades to master and only geniuses and/or savants are the only people with the ability to truly master it. In other words, yes you are a troll and you deserve to burn in hell and/or purgatory and/or an entirety of fudging fat chicks. AND I SAY GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!!! GOOD DAY!!!!
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

well starcraft does require some speed, and chess does not (unless of course you are playing speed chess). Both are great though because they are games that allow you to outhink your opponent.

I'm gonna say starcraft because there are three different types armies you have to master all with different play styles where as chess only has one.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] chess only needs intelligence, while starcraft requires both intelligence and physical skills.Neoklondiak

What physical skills does Starcraft require that Chess does not?

High apm. At least if you're playing against decent players. Have you seen professional players at it?

Frankly, no. I'd rather watch ants f*ck than sit around and watch other people play video games.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] chess only needs intelligence, while starcraft requires both intelligence and physical skills.GhoX
Aside from having vision and two functional hands, what physical skills does starcraft require? Cause chess needs both vision, but yeah only one hand I guess.

There is a difference between two functional hands and two very fast, agile and durable hands. You don't need an output of 200+ APM to be good at chess. On the other hand I think chess offers greater strategic depth than Starcraft.

AMP is greatly misleading. There is absolutely no regulation to that metric and the difference between reactive/proactive skill vs sheer redundancy/spam is not observed. You also disregard that it does not disregard macroing, and that you can buy into higher AMP. Have the money to have a custom fit high dpi corded laser mouse with built to fit side and top button layouts and your AMP shoots way up.

Back in the old days of MUDs, we often did our stuff via typed templates. Macroing that crap in the old days was easy as pie. I don't see having high AMP as being skilled, as it is more about having the activity normalized for yourself.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I'd be biased seeing how I haven't really played much of Starcraft II at all, so I can't fully appreciate the full depth of it, bu I do know Chess is a truly difficult game to master. And of course OP, as an Asian (I think) you would pick Starcraft :P.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Chess. Dear god, by far chess. Starcraft requires quick reactions and physical agility, but the amount of outcomes and possibilities is significantly more limited than those in chess. The fact professional players get defeated by cheese tactics and rushes just proves that - I'd like to see a professional chess player getting defeated by a scholar's mate.

I've seen top Starcraft professionals that aren't absolute geniuses in their medium. I've yet to see a top-tier professional chess player that isn't a genius.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Don't think they're directly comparable. Plus you need to define what you mean by skill.

Chess is a symmetrical game in which someone can take as long as he/she wants for a move, over time and experience can memorize different offenses/strategies, and recall different patterns of piece positions, while having vision of the other team's plans the entire time.

Starcraft, time is very important, APM (while a flawed metric, still important to have a baseline APM to perform different moves, something that will deterorate over time, meaning you cant have a professional for decades, which you can with chess grand masters), fog of war inhibits your ability to counter the opponent's moves, and different races makes it less symmetrical.

Speed chess would change this a little.

I would say you would need a greater genetic predisposition to play starcraft versus chess (the ability to make fast decisions, chess does not need this). Physically, both "mastered" require different physical traits, with starcraft's more demanding, but not to the point that it makes a difference when "mastered". Tactically, chess can be more of a recall sport, where a player is famililar with a situation they have previously been in, or seen. This is also possible with Starcraft, but because the board both has fog of war, different sized maps, and different spawning locations, it's hard to judge these two different "sports".

I'd say it's inconclusive, but Starcraft could have a slight edge.

Edit: I totally forgot about balance issues, which greatly affects starcraft. Strategies can be much more limited in cases of balance and the matchup, meaning starcraft could be more flawed, and allow a weaker player beat a stronger player more often than probability should predeict; something chess avoids. One could argue balance issues makes starcraft more difficult to master, due to constant mini changes and overcoming harder odds. I think it just makes it harder to compare to chess.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

They require differnt skill sets. Chess is probably more skill based in a purely strategic sense, but when you factor in the insane level of dexterity it takes to be a high level starcraft player it at least somewhat levels the playing field.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Chess is easy I think.

In Chess If you follow certain rules and use your memory then you will get a high rating. A few of these rules are:

1. Don't move the same piece twice in the opening.

2. Develop knights before bishops.

3. Castle early to protect your king.

4. Don't push pawns in front of your king. The pawn cover protects the king.

5. In the opening you must strive to control the center of the board (the squares e4, e5, d4, d5)

6. Knights are stronger in the center of the board than on the rim because on the center the knight controls 8 squares and has access to all the four parts of the board and this where most of the action takes place.

7. It is always good to capture toward the center.

8. Don't move the Queen too early in the opening.

9. Bishops are good in open games when there are none of your own pawns blocking them (in Chess you own pieces can be your own enemy) while knights are good in closed games because knights can jump over the pawns while bishops can't.

10. A bishop pair (a pair of two bishops) is usually a small advantage (+50 centipawns) over knight + bishop or two knights because with the bishop pair you can control all the 64 squares of the board.

10. Double pawns are a weakness because they cannot protect one another and also they block each other from advancing.

11. Passed pawns can be a decisive advantage, especially in the endgame when there are few pieces left. So if you have a passed pawn, you must strive to reach the 8th rank because in the 8th rank and in the 1st rank a pawn can transform into a Queen. If you have a pawn majority on one side of the board then you can usually create a passed pawn.

If you are a really serious about Chess, then you must get Chessmaster: the Art of learning.

http://chessmaster.us.ubi.com/xi/index.php

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Chess is easy I think.

In Chess If you follow certain rules and use your memory then you will get a high rating. A few of these rules are:

1. Don't move the same piece twice in the opening.

2. Develop knights before bishops.

3. Castle early to protect your king.

4. Don't push pawns in front of your king. The pawn cover protects the king.

5. In the opening you must strive to control the center of the board (the squares e4, e5, d4, d5)

6. Knights are stronger in the center than on the rim because on the rim the knight controls 8 squares and has access to all the four parts of the board.

7. It is always good to capture toward the center.

8. Don't move the Queen too early in the opening.

9. Bishops are good in open games when there are none of your own pawn blocking them (in Chess you own pieces can be your own enemy) can while knights are good in closed games because knights can jump over the pawns.

10. Double pawns are a weakness because they cannot protect one another and also they block each other from advancing.

11. Passed pawns can be a decisive advantage, especially in the endgame when there are few pieces left. So if you have a passed pawn, you must strive to reach the 8th rank because in the 8th rank and in the 1st rank a pawn can transform into a Queen.

If you are a really serious about Chess, then you must get Chessmaster: the Art of learning:

http://chessmaster.us.ubi.com/xi/index.php

pariah3
It's the same in Starcraft, but the thing is that at the end of the day you can just spam flood your opponent with fodder, Chess forces you to think over every move to death or face massive consequences.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
I never played Starcraft and I hardly play Chess anymore because some people take that game way to serious. Not many know how to lose a game of chess graciously. I suspect Starcraft is more fun and less intimidating due to having a more modern and graphical approach to strategy gaming. Idk, but Chess has always been considered a game of intellect and not many people have that patience and/or fortitude to stay focused with a game that has very little flash, its elegance is measured not by flair but by procedures

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-58061ea11c905

It's the same in Starcraft, but the thing is that at the end of the day you can just spam flood your opponent with fodder, Chess forces you to think over every move to death or face massive consequences. chaplainDMK

Yes but for Super-Grandmasters like Viswanathan Anand or Garry Kasparov who are rated above 2800 ELO it takes only 2 seconds to find the best move. These people are so trained in the game and have such a good memory so that they can already recognize the recurring patterns of the game.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]It's the same in Starcraft, but the thing is that at the end of the day you can just spam flood your opponent with fodder, Chess forces you to think over every move to death or face massive consequences. pariah3

Yes but for Super-Grandmasters like Viswanathan Anand or Garry Kasparov who are rated above 2800 ELO it take only 2 seconds to find the best move. These people are so experienced in the game and have such a good memory so that can already the recurring patterns of the game.

Well there's your answer, he needs to be abnormally smart to be able to do that.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

There's RTS that take more significantly more skill than that old Dune II clone.

Not saying it doesn't take skill to play Starcraft competitively. That's a product of the scene, not the game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

chess no question.

Lonelynight

while starcraft does require intelligence too is not at the same level of chess, it requieres more of fast hands and quick reflexes, and a lot of practice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-58061ea11c905

Well there's your answer, he needs to be abnormally smart to be able to do that.chaplainDMK

Smart is not exactly the answer. Of course he needs to be gifted for chess but giftedness is not always something you are born with, it can also be learned after a lot of practice. Anyone who takes chess seriously enough and practices a lot against the computer can get a very high rating.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Both games are played against another human being (in general), the amount of skill required to win the game is mostly determined by your opponent not by the game itself. If the opponents skill is infinite then the amount of skill required would be determined by the amount of possibilities in the game. Chess is limited in it's strategic variation, where Starcraft isn't. So in that case Starcraft requires more skill.
However reality teaches us that a players skill is never infinite, so in the end the game that requires more skill is decided by the experience of the players . In this case Chess clearly wins, as the game is explored to a far greater degree then starcaft 2.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
There's RTS that take more significantly more skill than that old Dune II clone.Saturos3091
like what?
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

The real answer is Go

VendettaRed07

This guy, he knows.

I'll answer with chess.

Edit: Sorry guys about the 4 posts. Glitchspot strikes again.