Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

DC Comics’ Catwoman comes out as bisexual

Looks like the cat’s finally out of the bag: Selina Kyle, better known as Catwoman, is bisexual.

In the latest issue of the eponymous comic book, Kyle kisses Eiko Hasigawa, a female character to whom Kyle also bestows her legendary black suit in a sort of “passing the torch,” in which Hasigaw assumes the role of Catwoman in Kyle’s place. Series writer Genevieve Valentine confirmed that Kyle’s long-time (and literal) flirtation with bisexuality was real. “For me, this wasn’t a revelation so much as a confirmation,” she wrote on her blog. “The more we talked about it, the more it was something I wanted to make happen.”

Catwoman has famously used her sexuality to manipulate the characters around her – including Batman. And Valentine warned that just because Kyle has connected with Eiko doesn’t mean Batman won’t return. “Please be assured that Selina’s longstanding connection to Batman has not been forgotten; that is not how bisexuality (or humanity) works. Selina doesn’t care easily, but when she does care it strikes deep, and there will be plenty of that coming up.”

Kyle is not the first member of the DC Comic family to come out of the proverbial closet. In 2012, fans learned that Alan Scott, the first to bear the title Green Lantern, was gay. And within the Batman franchise, such characters as Holly Robinson and Batwoman are written as openly gay characters. When announcing Batwoman’s sexuality in 2006, writer Greg Rucka said, “yes, she’s a lesbian. She’s also a redhead. It is an element of her character. It is not her character.”

The more I think about it, the more this actually makes sense. What do you guys think? Ok with this, or would you rather they stop changing characters up like this and create new ones. As for the CatWoman being Asian, I will always see Selina as CatWoman, even though in a reality sense it does seem to work that she wouldn't be that forever.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheWalkingGhost

Not showing up.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

She wears leather and carries a whip, so it's not really a surprise she's into other kinky stuff.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Meh bisexuality is so yesterday, trisexuality needs to become the new rage.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I thought that was pretty obvious...

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Also shame on you DC for taking so long to catch up with the acceptance train, not tolerant/progressive enough.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost said:

DC Comics’ Catwoman comes out as bisexual

Looks like the cat’s finally out of the bag: Selina Kyle, better known as Catwoman, is bisexual.

In the latest issue of the eponymous comic book, Kyle kisses Eiko Hasigawa, a female character to whom Kyle also bestows her legendary black suit in a sort of “passing the torch,” in which Hasigaw assumes the role of Catwoman in Kyle’s place. Series writer Genevieve Valentine confirmed that Kyle’s long-time (and literal) flirtation with bisexuality was real. “For me, this wasn’t a revelation so much as a confirmation,” she wrote on her blog. “The more we talked about it, the more it was something I wanted to make happen.”

Catwoman has famously used her sexuality to manipulate the characters around her – including Batman. And Valentine warned that just because Kyle has connected with Eiko doesn’t mean Batman won’t return. “Please be assured that Selina’s longstanding connection to Batman has not been forgotten; that is not how bisexuality (or humanity) works. Selina doesn’t care easily, but when she does care it strikes deep, and there will be plenty of that coming up.”

Kyle is not the first member of the DC Comic family to come out of the proverbial closet. In 2012, fans learned that Alan Scott, the first to bear the title Green Lantern, was gay. And within the Batman franchise, such characters as Holly Robinson and Batwoman are written as openly gay characters. When announcing Batwoman’s sexuality in 2006, writer Greg Rucka said, “yes, she’s a lesbian. She’s also a redhead. It is an element of her character. It is not her character.”

The more I think about it, the more this actually makes sense. What do you guys think? Ok with this, or would you rather they stop changing characters up like this and create new ones. As for the CatWoman being Asian, I will always see Selina as CatWoman, even though in a reality sense it does seem to work that she wouldn't be that forever.

1) On the topuic of Selina Kyle being bisexual: No ingherent problems with it, as long as it's handled well and as long as it's consistent with the character which has already been established. Lord knows that plenty of people have gotten married and had hkids before "coming out of the closet", so it's not like that's fundamentally unrealistic. As long as it's handled appropriately (and not treated as just a gimmick to boost sales), then I don't see the problem.

2) On the topic of Catwoman being Asian: Wellfrom what you said, it doesn't look like Selina Kyle suddenly turned into an Asian chick. Instead, she "passes the torch" to a different character who happens to be Asian. Don't see a problem here seeing as how they aren't the same character. The only way there'd be a problem is if Asian women were somehow unworthy of taking the title of Catwoman. And that would be a really weird objection. It's like...I have a bit of a problem with Johnny Storm being black because now that requires making further changes just to justify why he's black and his sister is still white. That requires changing the family history, which could potentially negatively impact the relationship between important characters. but Spider-Man being Miles Morales? I have no problem with that because they aren't the same character. There have been multiple Green Lanterns and multiple Robins. All fine because they're different chacracters. Or hell...I'd be a fine with a black or Asian Doctor Who, because changing himself is part of the character. Same type of thing, as far as I see it. Wanna pass the torch to an Asian woman? No objections. Wanna do a full reboot (or "Elseworlds" type alternate reality thing that ignores existing continuity? Also fine. The only way I could see anyone getting upset is if the actual SAME CHARACTER suddenly turned wfrom white to asian "just because." And that's apparently not what's happening, so I don't see the problem.

3) But that's all speaking hypothetically. I don't mess with comic books any more, so I frankly don't give a shit what they do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

Can imagine all the comic books guys of the world throwing hissy fits across 150 pages on the comic book forums.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44609 Posts

meow

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

@lamprey263: She's Pretty.

Also I'm sure everyone has there sex fantasy so I'm cool with that.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

This is racist. They assume that all Asians make perfect cats because of their eyes and skin color!? RACISM. How about you make Superman and Batman gay and then have Batman become Batwoman because he doesn't identify as a man but rather as a bat. And a woman. And then make the Joker a homophobic Republican with white face.

I don't really care. While I enjoy the Batman and Catwoman romance element, I always thought Batman went well with Wonderwoman, mostly because of the animated tv shows.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

That's pretty sexy actually.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

sweet, i don't have to retcon my black cat vs. catwoman fan fiction.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@MrGeezer said:

1) On the topuic of Selina Kyle being bisexual: No ingherent problems with it, as long as it's handled well and as long as it's consistent with the character which has already been established. Lord knows that plenty of people have gotten married and had hkids before "coming out of the closet", so it's not like that's fundamentally unrealistic. As long as it's handled appropriately (and not treated as just a gimmick to boost sales), then I don't see the problem.

2) On the topic of Catwoman being Asian: Wellfrom what you said, it doesn't look like Selina Kyle suddenly turned into an Asian chick. Instead, she "passes the torch" to a different character who happens to be Asian. Don't see a problem here seeing as how they aren't the same character. The only way there'd be a problem is if Asian women were somehow unworthy of taking the title of Catwoman. And that would be a really weird objection. It's like...I have a bit of a problem with Johnny Storm being black because now that requires making further changes just to justify why he's black and his sister is still white. That requires changing the family history, which could potentially negatively impact the relationship between important characters. but Spider-Man being Miles Morales? I have no problem with that because they aren't the same character. There have been multiple Green Lanterns and multiple Robins. All fine because they're different chacracters. Or hell...I'd be a fine with a black or Asian Doctor Who, because changing himself is part of the character. Same type of thing, as far as I see it. Wanna pass the torch to an Asian woman? No objections. Wanna do a full reboot (or "Elseworlds" type alternate reality thing that ignores existing continuity? Also fine. The only way I could see anyone getting upset is if the actual SAME CHARACTER suddenly turned wfrom white to asian "just because." And that's apparently not what's happening, so I don't see the problem.

3) But that's all speaking hypothetically. I don't mess with comic books any more, so I frankly don't give a shit what they do.

This, except for reason 3. It's pretty common in fiction for female characters who use their sexuality to be "kinda bi" so I didn't really think much of this one way or another (although maybe there's something to be said about that stereotype in media). Also, Catwoman is a title and not a character so there being a new "Catwoman" isn't that weird a change. How many freaking Green Lanterns were there (from Earth, specifically)? Jon Stewart, Guy Gardener, Hal Jordan, plus I think there were a few more.

The only "New 52" change up that bugged me was Amanda Waller. I was pissed that the Arrow series cast her as young and attractive, but then I found out that this was part of the reboot. Making Amanda Waller anything other than an old fat black lady actually undercuts the character. Waller was a tough, no nonsense, ruthless lady who would do literally anything to enforce law and she took no shit from nobody (even Batman).

By making her young and skinny they just made her like every other comicbook character. Lame.

-Byshop

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost: Got no problems with either cases. as long as it's not Asian superman...........

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Hot.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@xdude85 said:

She wears leather and carries a whip, so it's not really a surprise she's into other kinky stuff.

I don't think lesbians would consider their sexuality to be "kinky".

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Ok.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

I wouldn't mind it. Asian girls are very attractive. And what's the point in announcing her sexuality? No one cares about her sexual preference

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I believe batman is also bisexual and asian.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Cool, Batman has been gay as heck for a long time so this isn't big news to me.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheWalkingGhost

@Aljosa23 said:

Cool, Batman has been gay as heck for a long time so this isn't big news to me.

Or a massive pedo!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#24 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost: i don't care tbh

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

@iloveatlus said:

I wouldn't mind it. Asian girls are very attractive. And what's the point in announcing her sexuality? No one cares about her sexual preference

Holly shit. I didn't even recognize you without the Monroe avatar/sigs, you fool me good lol.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/917/220/87c.gif

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

I feel like most female superhero villains have an element of bisexuality to them.

ObatiJadibesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ObatiJadibesar
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

thanks for the information.