Catholic Group Leader: Academics 'Taken Out And Shot'

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

He doesn't speak for the church.....

Solid opinion there.

He still speaks for a religious organization.

Actually he speaks for himself. To say otherwise shows stupidity. Be my guest and continue....

He's the president of an organization.He's talking about he values shared by the people in his organization...

Next you'll be telling me that a spokesperson for walmart, doesn't actually speak for walmart, but only themself.

#52 Posted by deeliman (2386 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

Actually he speaks for himself. To say otherwise shows stupidity. Be my guest and continue....

He's the president of an organization.He's talking about he values shared by the people in his organization...

Next you'll be telling me that a spokesperson for walmart, doesn't actually speak for walmart, but only themself.

So again, he doesn't speak for the church. Not an opinion, but fact.

#53 Edited by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

With respect to my ECON/BUS colleagues (and Psych for that matter), those aren't hard scientists, even if a little scientific method is used from time to time.

#54 Posted by mattbbpl (10570 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

While you do get some professors who speak their own personal political and religious beliefs, that isn't the majority. The entire idea behind going to college is to LEARN, about different ideas than your own. The only place where you will find conservative, religious professors in the majority is conservative, religious schools.

If you really want to avoid it, do what the gentleman in the article suggests and go to school that is affiliated with your religion, and let other who are more interested in expanding their minds go to public and private non-religious schools.

Yeah. The whole conspiracy theory that universities are liberal indoctrination centers basically arises from the right's butthurt that their simplistic black and white ideas aren't taken seriously by academics.

I've also noticed an inferiority complex along the lines of: "Those liberal professors think they know more than me." And they certainly do know more as most of them do painstaking research as opposed to forming opinions based on their "gut".

Yeah, unfortunately most people I speak to who believe that universities are liberal indoctrination centers point to things like the teaching of evolution as the basis for those beliefs as opposed to creationism (I can't believe how big of a sticking point this still is).

#55 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

/facepalm.

I never said he spoke for a church.

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

#56 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150293 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

/facepalm.

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

Then I guess as usual we can put your response down as trolling.

#57 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

/facepalm.

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

Then I guess as usual we can put your response down as trolling.

That's ironic, coming from the biggest Troll in OT.

Aside from TheGerg, no-one argues semantics more than you.

#59 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

It really is a shame more Christians can't be Christ-like in their behavior. Oh well, they can't all be Pope Francis.

#60 Posted by deeliman (2386 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

/facepalm.

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

It's still not an "opinion" that he doesn't speak for the church. Your red herring won't change that.

#61 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

/facepalm.

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

It's still not an "opinion" that he doesn't speak for the church. Your red herring won't change that.

I've yet to see any reason to believe his assertion that this religious man, who leads a religious organization, and who writes columns for religious websites and magazines. Is speaking only for himself, and not for the community/organization that he represents.

#62 Posted by Serraph105 (27813 posts) -

It always saddens me when a fellow Christian (Even if I'm not catholic) spends their time preaching the exact opposite of their own ideology.

#63 Posted by ferrari2001 (16808 posts) -

It always saddens me when a fellow Christian (Even if I'm not catholic) spends their time preaching the exact opposite of their own ideology.

Unfortunately those people are found in every facet of society. Every religion, political ideology, social movement has in their midst people who think differently from the group they claim to represent or participate in.

#64 Edited by Aljosa23 (24721 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

Maybe not for the church but he does for the organization. Same logic behind a company firing their employees if they say something stupid, because it reflects on the company as a whole.

#65 Edited by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

Catholic Group Leader Calls For Liberal Academics To Be 'Taken Out And Shot'

Austin Ruse, president of the nonprofit research group Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, said on American Family Radio Wednesday that liberal leaders of “modern universities” should “all be taken out and shot.”

Austin Ruse: "My daughters go to a little private religious school and we pay an arm and a leg for it precisely to keep them away from all of this kind of nonsense. I do hope that they go to a Christian college or university and to keep them so far away from the hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities, who should all be taken out and shot."

Modern universities teach critical thinking, history, science and not misogynist, reactionary religious material. I can see where this gentleman has a problem.

Reactionary religious material? What the fvck is this, are you some sort of communist now? Yeah, I agree, he's taking it to the extreme, but regardless, there are lots of dumbass left-wing academics in college. And where did he ever say he was opposed to the study of science or history? If anything, Catholics are one of the most pro-science religious groups out there. To me, it seems like you're talking out of your ass against religious people, as usual.

#66 Edited by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Austin Ruse, president of the nonprofit research group Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, said on American Family Radio Wednesday that liberal leaders of “modern universities” should “all be taken out and shot.”

Austin Ruse: "My daughters go to a little private religious school and we pay an arm and a leg for it precisely to keep them away from all of this kind of nonsense. I do hope that they go to a Christian college or university and to keep them so far away from the hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities, who should all be taken out and shot."

Modern universities teach critical thinking, history, science and not misogynist, reactionary religious material. I can see where this gentleman has a problem.

Reactionary religious material? What the fvck is this, are you some sort of communist now? Yeah, I agree, he's taking it to the extreme, but regardless, there are lots of dumbass left-wing academics in college. And where did he ever say he was opposed to the study of science or history? If anything, Catholics are one of the most pro-science religious groups out there. To me, it seems like you're talking out of your ass against religious people, as usual.

As I said earlier, I never lumped this gentleman in with all Christians, or even all Catholics. I know that most Catholics are far more progressives. This was more about his rhetoric, not his religiosity. Thought the colleges he suggests that people attend do espouse traditionally Christian (read the conservative, misogynist, bigoted kind of Christian) beliefs.

Anyway, kk, when did you run off the rails and become an ass? You used to be chill.

#67 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

@jimkabrhel said:

As I said earlier, I never lumped this gentleman in with all Christians, or even all Catholics. I know that most Catholics are far more progressives. This was more about his rhetoric, not his religiosity. Thought the colleges he suggests that people attend do espouse traditionally Christian (read the conservative, misogynist, bigoted kind of Christian) beliefs.

Anyway, kk, when did you run off the rails and become an ass? You used to be chill.

There's nothing wrong with conservative beliefs. And what horrible, misogynist colleges do you think this guy is suggesting? Notre Dame? And what is misogynist about Christian beliefs? Pro-life?

Also, far-left crap like "Sex Week" (as was discussed in the article) is pretty stupid.

I'm not being an ass, I'm calling you out on your stupidity. I hate when know-it-all atheist libtards spew stupid crap like this against religious people, just like I hate it when Bill O'Reilly and the like say stupid things.

#68 Posted by Aljosa23 (24721 posts) -

kk needs to post more.

#69 Edited by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

@jimkabrhel said:

@nomsayin said:

@jimkabrhel said:

There's nothing wrong with conservative beliefs. And what horrible, misogynist colleges do you think this guy is suggesting? Notre Dame? And what is misogynist about Christian beliefs? Pro-life?

Also, far-left crap like "Sex Week" (as was discussed in the article) is pretty stupid.

I'm not being an ass, I'm calling you out on your stupidity. I hate when know-it-all atheist libtards spew stupid crap like this against religious people, just like I hate it when Bill O'Reilly and the like say stupid things.

Sex Week, as far as I've read, wasn't politically associated, so nice try there. And there are place like Oral Roberts, Liberty, Bob Jones and other smaller colleges who are deeply religious, and that is where you will find hate speech against gays, some minorities, and you will find rules against sex, strict guidelines for women, and the ignoring of sexual violence, placing blame on women.

The fact that you are calling me a stupid, atheist libtard, just proves how ignorant you are when it comes to these matters. You are just blindly repeating what you've heard from the media, nothing more. I about you've spent enough time in college to get a sense of what really goes on, and who professors really are.

I've have had colleagues who were raging, progressive liberals, and some who were tried-and-true Conservatives. We take all kinds, whether you want to believe it or not. And what might be a surprise to you, is that not many professors spend their class time talking about the politically liberal ideology. We teach our subjects, trying to expand the minds of our students. If that happens to lead students in any given political or philosophical direction, that's up to the student to decide. This isn't brainwashing.

I'm not an atheist either.

#70 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150293 posts) -

LOL......this thread degraded into personal attacks....

#71 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (8622 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

kk needs to post more.

Needs more popcorn

#72 Posted by dave123321 (33756 posts) -

Get along like Jesus said, OT

#73 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

kk needs to post more.

<333 (no homo)

this place is so empty nowadays unfortunately :(

@nomsayin said:

@jimkabrhel said:

@nomsayin said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Sex Week, as far as I've read, wasn't politically associated, so nice try there. And there are place like Oral Roberts, Liberty, Bob Jones and other smaller colleges who are deeply religious, and that is where you will find hate speech against gays, some minorities, and you will find rules against sex, strict guidelines for women, and the ignoring of sexual violence, placing blame on women.

The fact that you are calling me a stupid, atheist libtard, just proves how ignorant you are when it comes to these matters. You are just blindly repeating what you've heard from the media, nothing more. I about you've spent enough time in college to get a sense of what really goes on, and who professors really are.

I've have had colleagues who were raging, progressive liberals, and some who were tried-and-true Conservatives. We take all kinds, whether you want to believe it or not. And what might be a surprise to you, is that not many professors spend their class time talking about the politically liberal ideology. We teach our subjects, trying to expand the minds of our students. If that happens to lead students in any given political or philosophical direction, that's up to the student to decide. This isn't brainwashing.

while sex week isn't explicitly politically associated it, Sex positivism stuff is usually supported by far left academics. Oral Roberts, Liberty, Bob Jones, etc. are run by Protestants. What makes you think a Catholic would want his daughter to go there? Wouldn't it seem more likely for him to want her to go to a traditionally Catholic university like Georgetown, Notre Dame, (both respected institutions) etc.? I don't think he explicitly stated where he would prefer his daughter to attend college. But to me it seems like you're talking out of your ass on this one and assuming he wants his daughter to attend one of those "misogynistic" universities that you listed.

I'm not blindly repeating what I've heard from the media. I don't even consider myself a conservative (more a moderate liberal) as a whole. And yes, I agree that most college professors keep their political views aside. And I agree that there is not some sort of brainwashing going on, especially in the sciences. But there are undoubtedly stupid left-wing academics in college, esp. in departments like "gender studies" and stuff like that.