Catholic Group Leader: Academics 'Taken Out And Shot'

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Catholic Group Leader Calls For Liberal Academics To Be 'Taken Out And Shot'

Austin Ruse, president of the nonprofit research group Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, said on American Family Radio Wednesday that liberal leaders of “modern universities” should “all be taken out and shot.”

Austin Ruse: "My daughters go to a little private religious school and we pay an arm and a leg for it precisely to keep them away from all of this kind of nonsense. I do hope that they go to a Christian college or university and to keep them so far away from the hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities, who should all be taken out and shot."

Modern universities teach critical thinking, history, science and not misogynist, reactionary religious material. I can see where this gentleman has a problem.

#2 Posted by deeliman (2370 posts) -

I feel bad for his daughters.

#3 Edited by Master_Live (14051 posts) -

Amen.

#4 Posted by gba1989 (144 posts) -

How ironic.

#5 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

He doesn't speak for the church.....

#6 Edited by Masculus (2825 posts) -

Oh, the outrage!

#7 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

as jesus said in the bible "i would shoot a motherfucker right in the face in front of his own momma if he was a goddamn liberal."

are you going to dispute the word of the lord?

#8 Edited by lamprey263 (22850 posts) -

I have super conservative family members I hear stuff like this all the time I'm almost numb to it.

#9 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

I guess he skipped that part in the bible where it says 'Thou shalt not kill'.

#10 Posted by airshocker (28849 posts) -

People say horrific things? You don't say...

#11 Edited by ferrari2001 (16761 posts) -

shhhh don't say that. If you are a catholic and you say anything then that is church teachings and it should be considered dogma.

#12 Posted by dave123321 (33647 posts) -

Yeah what lj said.

#13 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1746 posts) -

shot with bullets?

#14 Posted by hippiesanta (9772 posts) -
#15 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

I guess he skipped that part in the bible where it says 'Thou shalt not kill'.

This. I get what the guy is saying but I wouldn't go THAT overboard.

#16 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

"keep them so far away from the hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities, who should all be taken out and shot."

What a dumbass

#17 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34128 posts) -

So about that whole loving thy neighbor thing...

#18 Edited by wis3boi (31019 posts) -

Pays an arm and a leg to indoctrinate children with iron age mythology. M'kay

#19 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

While left-affiliated public establishments and influential people can be full of inane shit, this is still quite absurd nonetheless.
lol taken out and shot, oh you.

You can't protect your kids from anything that you perceive as detrimental to them in this world by completely isolating them from it and decisively alienating them from society. Not only you should not be fighting their own battles in life, but also there will come a time when they will inevitably be exposed to all of it and they will surely be overwhelmed and consumed by it if they never had the chance to properly prepare for it. Their inwardness, individuality and sovereignty will be defeated, they will be left broken either as hateful, spiteful, self-loathing and alienated members of society or as downright destructive agents (terrorists or mass shooters for example). The only thing you can do is to raise them properly to the best of your knowledge and to cultivate their higher faculties, sovereignty and individuality so that they would only have disdain and pity towards all their perceived pathogens in life while maintaining their sense of individuality, sovereignty and sanity.

#20 Posted by hippiesanta (9772 posts) -

although I'm not a religious person ... I feel shame on you americans who always victimise the Catholic rather than the fanatical evengelist and atheist cults

#21 Posted by indzman (16956 posts) -

although I'm not a religious person ... I feel shame on you americans who always victimise the Catholic rather than the fanatical evengelist and atheist cults

#22 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Never said I thought he represented most Catholics. I'm sure he doesn't. My wife, a liberal academic who is Catholic certainly doesn't believe what he's saying.

Any time a religiously-affiliated leader talks about violence, it just points to the hypocrisy that comes with religion, politics and education.

#23 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29082 posts) -

How very Christian of him.

Also, at least the economics major at my college was anything but liberal. :P

#24 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6663 posts) -

America has a lot of problems.

#25 Posted by Aljosa23 (24620 posts) -

Is the US the only country where people complain about the political opinions of educators? I guess it's no surprise since the US is lagging further and further back in education.

#26 Posted by ferrari2001 (16761 posts) -

Never said I thought he represented most Catholics. I'm sure he doesn't. My wife, a liberal academic who is Catholic certainly doesn't believe what he's saying.

Any time a religiously-affiliated leader talks about violence, it just points to the hypocrisy that comes with religion, politics and education.

Complaining about hypocrites in religion is like complaining about fat people at gyms. Also he's not a religious leader, he's just the boss of a non-profit institute that happens to be religious affiliated.

#27 Edited by deeliman (2370 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

Complaining about hypocrites in religion is like complaining about fat people at gyms. Also he's not a religious leader, he's just the boss of a non-profit institute that happens to be religious affiliated.

How is it anything like complaining about fat people in gyms?

#28 Posted by ferrari2001 (16761 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

are you serious? People join a religion because its sole purpose is to help make you a better person. There are no perfect people in religion. It's suppose to help you become better, meaning bad people can join a religion in hope that they can become good. Same reason fat people join gyms. They are fat and out of shape so they join a gym to become better. Neither are reserved only for those people who are perfect.

#29 Posted by Aljosa23 (24620 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

I guess he is implying that hypocrisy is something inherent to religion, which I completely agree with. His second sentence is a fallacy.

#30 Posted by ferrari2001 (16761 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

I guess he is implying that hypocrisy is something inherent to religion, which I completely agree with. His second sentence is a fallacy.

My second sentence is completely factual. He is not ordained in any form. Meaning he holds the same level of leadership within the Catholic Church that I do. He's a common catholic that has absolutely no sway over church teachings or policy. Nothing he says will attribute to Church teaching. Just like if I were to say Jesus did not exist, that doesn't become Church dogma, because I have no teaching authority in the Church.

#31 Posted by deeliman (2370 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

are you serious? People join a religion because its sole purpose is to help make you a better person. There are no perfect people in religion. It's suppose to help you become better, meaning bad people can join a religion in hope that they can become good. Same reason fat people join gyms. They are fat and out of shape so they join a gym to become better. Neither are reserved only for those people who are perfect.

I was serious. I didn't know what you meant with that comparison, so I asked.

#32 Edited by deeliman (2370 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

My second sentence is completely factual. He is not ordained in any form. Meaning he holds the same level of leadership within the Catholic Church that I do. He's a common catholic that has absolutely no sway over church teachings or policy. Nothing he says will attribute to Church teaching. Just like if I were to say Jesus did not exist, that doesn't become Church dogma, because I have no teaching authority in the Church.

Religious leader =/= Religiously-affiliated leader

#33 Posted by ferrari2001 (16761 posts) -

@deeliman said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

I was serious. I didn't know what you meant with that comparison, so I asked.

That's fine, I just assumed everyone had heard the analogy before. I'll be honest I stole the analogy, it was a popular meme for a while. I just means that there are no perfect people in religion, or politics, just like there are no perfect people at the gym. We all strive to be better people. Not everyone will become a better person, but at least we try, apart from that there's really not much else we can do.

#34 Posted by Master_Live (14051 posts) -
#35 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

Catholic Group Leader Calls For Liberal Academics To Be 'Taken Out And Shot'

Austin Ruse, president of the nonprofit research group Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, said on American Family Radio Wednesday that liberal leaders of “modern universities” should “all be taken out and shot.”

Austin Ruse: "My daughters go to a little private religious school and we pay an arm and a leg for it precisely to keep them away from all of this kind of nonsense. I do hope that they go to a Christian college or university and to keep them so far away from the hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities, who should all be taken out and shot."

Modern universities teach critical thinking, history, science and not misogynist, reactionary religious material. I can see where this gentleman has a problem.

While I agree with the sentiment of this man regarding liberal academics that plague our universities today, it is contradictory, inappropriate, and hypocritical for the leader of a religious group to say such things. No American at all should say such things, it is not our way to execute people who think differently than we do. Though I would not doubt some liberals would have the same feelings regarding Rush Limbaugh and George W. Bush.

As for this "critical thinking" thing you claim is being taught, I disagree. What liberal professors teach is ideology, and if you refuse it you are called out as being close minded. I am sure the right leaning professors do the same, there are just far less of them. Our universities have become indoctrination centers in many cases. Keep the politics in political science.

#36 Edited by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

@deeliman said:

I feel bad for his daughters.

I do as well, but I am not sure if it is for the same reasons you do. They are probably the ones complaining to dad about all of the bs they have to endure on a daily basis listening to these professors. They may feel like so many other students do where they cannot voice their opinions without fear of repercussions.

#37 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Is the US the only country where people complain about the political opinions of educators? I guess it's no surprise since the US is lagging further and further back in education.

I don't think the personal opinions of educators has anything at all to do with education....unless you are studying that particular individual...but I don't know any course in college that has that study.

#38 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

While you do get some professors who speak their own personal political and religious beliefs, that isn't the majority. The entire idea behind going to college is to LEARN, about different ideas than your own. The only place where you will find conservative, religious professors in the majority is conservative, religious schools.

If you really want to avoid it, do what the gentleman in the article suggests and go to school that is affiliated with your religion, and let other who are more interested in expanding their minds go to public and private non-religious schools.

#39 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3753 posts) -

super religious people tend to be a bit off.

#40 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Solid opinion there.

He still speaks for a religious organization.

#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Solid opinion there.

He still speaks for a religious organization.

Actually he speaks for himself. To say otherwise shows stupidity. Be my guest and continue....

#42 Edited by GreySeal9 (24010 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

While you do get some professors who speak their own personal political and religious beliefs, that isn't the majority. The entire idea behind going to college is to LEARN, about different ideas than your own. The only place where you will find conservative, religious professors in the majority is conservative, religious schools.

If you really want to avoid it, do what the gentleman in the article suggests and go to school that is affiliated with your religion, and let other who are more interested in expanding their minds go to public and private non-religious schools.

Yeah. The whole conspiracy theory that universities are liberal indoctrination centers basically arises from the right's butthurt that their simplistic black and white ideas aren't taken seriously by academics.

I've also noticed an inferiority complex along the lines of: "Those liberal professors think they know more than me." And they certainly do know more as most of them do painstaking research as opposed to forming opinions based on their "gut".

#43 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (832 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

what crossed my mind.

If the Vatican can disown statements by the pope, then this Ruse asshole holds about as much merit as a System Wars fanboy.

#44 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29082 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

Yeah. The whole conspiracy theory that universities are liberal indoctrination centers basically arises from the right's butthurt that their simplistic black and white ideas aren't taken seriously by academics.

I've also noticed an inferiority complex along the lines of: "Those liberal professors think they know more than me." And they certainly do know more as most of them do painstaking research as opposed to forming opinions based on their "gut".

To be fair at least on econ issues liberal politicians/pundits do a lot of speaking from their gut as well.

#45 Posted by Aljosa23 (24620 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

To be fair at least on econ issues liberal politicians/pundits do a lot of speaking from their gut as well.

Isn't that because economics isn't a hard science?

#46 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -

Amen.

I don't understand but I trust you so 'Amen.' as well

#47 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

A Catholic fundie hating education and critical thinking? Who would have seen such a thing coming?!

#48 Posted by GreySeal9 (24010 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

That's true, but liberal politicians/pundits don't usually show hostility towards academics.

#49 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29082 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

That's true, but liberal politicians/pundits don't usually show hostility towards academics.

Mostly that's true. The Chicago school gets a lot of (very undeserved) hate though.

#50 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29082 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Isn't that because economics isn't a hard science?

In a sense yes (although it's the "hardest" of the social sciences) but that's not really relevant.