Carrie says she, Hamill, Ford, will return for StarWarsVII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

bit.ly/1kYH0yM

Not sure how accurate the source may be, but what are your thoughts?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Yeah this is old news but I'm a little concerned with their age. Carrie fisher hasn't been in very much.

Mark Hamill is a phenomenal voice actor but haven't seen him on screen much either.

Harrison Ford is a freaking legend but he's getting a little too old for action movies.

Skepticism aside, I'm stoked about seeing these legends make it back to the big screen and one of most loved movie franchises being continued with event after the original Star Wars trilogy.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

I've seen Carrie Fisher, age and drugs have done a number on that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

YESSSSSSSS. He's back, baby!

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Is this movie taking place in a retirement home

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

They won't be the main action stars in the film. Mark Hamill will likely be in a Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi type role while Carrie Fisher will likely be a Government Official in the New Republic. It will be exciting to see them all on screen though.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I'm down with this.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@bowchicka07 said:

Yeah this is old news but I'm a little concerned with their age. Carrie fisher hasn't been in very much.

Mark Hamill is a phenomenal voice actor but haven't seen him on screen much either.

Harrison Ford is a freaking legend but he's getting a little too old for action movies.

Skepticism aside, I'm stoked about seeing these legends make it back to the big screen and one of most loved movie franchises being continued with event after the original Star Wars trilogy.

I'm fine if the story actually has the characters being that old.

But I don't want them writing the characters to be that old just in order to justify getting the original actors back.

They should just write the story without consideration for who is gonna play the role. If the original actors are suitable, then fine. I just sort of suspect that they're doing it in reverse: starting with the idea of getting the original actors back, and then tailoring the story to match with the actors being old.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Hamill looks like the Emperor now...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@DarkGamer007 said:

They won't be the main action stars in the film. Mark Hamill will likely be in a Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi type role while Carrie Fisher will likely be a Government Official in the New Republic. It will be exciting to see them all on screen though.

This. My guess their kids will be playing protagonists in upcoming SW movie.

Valamil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Valamil
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts

@JML897 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Darth Sidious and Yoda looked pretty old in the newer films and they were both convincingly badass imo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I hope so, they won't be able to pass anything on without some connection to Return of the Jedi.

They are going to be old though. Hammil will likely play an awesome New Jedi Order Luke. That era was always my favourite of the EU. With Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn and the like (mostly because Luke emphasized a balanced way between the extremes of the Sith and the Old Jedi Order, and utilized emotions to grant the users power like no other Jedi or Sith before... just not the extreme hatred and fear of the Sith).

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@indzman said:

@DarkGamer007 said:

This. My guess their kids will be playing protagonists in upcoming SW movie.

Even so, there's still the real potential for their cameo appearances to get annoying as $hit. This is one of the things that kind of bugged me about the prequels (though not the least of its problems by a longshot). This idea that fan service referencing other stuff has to be included in everything. There was no need for R2-D2 and C-3PO to be in the prequels, any f***ing droids would have sufficed. But even though they weren't the main characters, R2 and 3PO were in it. And then they kept reminded us that "yes, you are watching your favorite droids." Done improperly, it can easily be a really cheap and annoying way to try to gain positive reaction by reminding people of something that was better. In Revenge of the Sith (the best of the prequels, and I prefer it over Return of the Jedi), the battle on Kashykk results in Wookies helping Yoda to escape, and they make a point of saying "YES, THIS IS CHEWBACCA!" That kind of "these characters keep meeting even though that doesn't go anywhere" just seems lame.

It's not as if there's any shortage of government officials in the New Republic, so WHY LEIGHA? Could that "government official" role have been filled by literally anyone, or are they just taking Carrie Fisher and throwing her into any role that might fit, just to get positive feedback by bringing back the classic characters? I don't know.

Whatever, though. If they're gonna do that, then they just shouldn't f*** it up. It should probably be at least okay now that George Lucas doesn't have total creative control over everything. Still, this "referencing other things just for $hits and giggles" can get annoying. If Leia, Han, and Luke show up in the new movies, I hope there's actually the sense that there's a legitimate reason for them to be there, and that it doesn't just come off as totally forced.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Master_Live

Just give me old jedi master Luke training guys and one of them becoming a sith and betraying him. Plus a jedi council meeting with Luke, Yoda, Obi Wan, Qui Gon, and Windu. Then, Star Wars has my permission to die.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

if they could make The Dude look younger for Tron: Legacy then they can give Carrie Fisher a body of a goddess and get further mileage out of that Jaba slave costume if they wanted

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@JML897 said:

I laughed until my rib hurt.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

those 3 ol farts should stop doing starwars

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@PonchoTaco: Christ....Mark looks like a young Jabba the Hutt in that pic. I hope they make 'em all hit the treadmill before shooting starts.

Wonder what the name will be....

1) "An old hope"

2) "The grandpas strike back"

3) "Return of the retired"

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I'm not surprised that Fisher and Hamill are making a return. They pretty much had non-existent careers after Star Wars. Harrison on the other hand did well for himself. I guess anything with the branded Star Wars name will do well though, so it's probably a good move for all of them.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Welcome to six months ago. And honestly....I think it's a mistake.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

The only reason Ford is returning is because he is getting his Indiana Jones movie

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Actually the source in the article was from yesterday.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Chiddaling said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Still an old story.......

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Chiddaling said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Still an old story.......

I think the last six months were rumors that we all knew was going to materialize. Then when it was confirmed we were all like, "old news" haha.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'd like to see them return as the heroes of old to guide the new generation and somehow connect the new trilogy with the older one.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@MrGeezer said:

It's not as if there's any shortage of government officials in the New Republic, so WHY LEIGHA? Could that "government official" role have been filled by literally anyone, or are they just taking Carrie Fisher and throwing her into any role that might fit, just to get positive feedback by bringing back the classic characters? I don't know.

Whatever, though. If they're gonna do that, then they just shouldn't f*** it up. It should probably be at least okay now that George Lucas doesn't have total creative control over everything. Still, this "referencing other things just for $hits and giggles" can get annoying. If Leia, Han, and Luke show up in the new movies, I hope there's actually the sense that there's a legitimate reason for them to be there, and that it doesn't just come off as totally forced.

If the movie is in fact set in the New Republic/Jedi Order era, then the children of Han and Leia Organa Solo are going to play an especially important role. As well as having Luke Skywalker build his Jedi from the ashes of the old. This EU story was established before the prequel movies, and their characters were essential to it's telling.

I'm personally hoping they are doing the Thrawn trilogy rather than anything with the Vuuzhan Vong. That would just be too complicated. Cool, yes, but far too complicated.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I hope so, they won't be able to pass anything on without some connection to Return of the Jedi.

They are going to be old though. Hammil will likely play an awesome New Jedi Order Luke. That era was always my favourite of the EU. With Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn and the like (mostly because Luke emphasized a balanced way between the extremes of the Sith and the Old Jedi Order, and utilized emotions to grant the users power like no other Jedi or Sith before... just not the extreme hatred and fear of the Sith).

None of the star wars books are cannon. Think of them more as just glorified fan fiction.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

The fact that they are going to be in the film is pretty old news. I don't think any of them are going to be main characters or doing anything physically strenuous. The main characters will probably their offspring who will probably be in their 20s or 30s.

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

They could go out in space doing all the things they wanted to but never had the chance Bucket List style.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_Live

@huggybear1020 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

None of the star wars books are cannon. Think of them more as just glorified fan fiction.

Exactly.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By foxhound_fox

@huggybear1020 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

The EU is considered part of the continuity of the Star Wars universe.

It is it's own canon and part of the bigger Star Wars franchise. Chances are they will pay homage to the books, and since Lucas isn't involved at all, they will be free to do whatever they want, since "Canon" to Lucas is just the six films and the radio dramas.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@Valamil said:

@JML897 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Darth Sidious and Yoda looked pretty old in the newer films and they were both convincingly badass imo.

Mark Hamill is not Christopher Lee.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@JML897 said:

Not your best.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@JML897 said:

Not your best.

Yeah I kinda wish I could have that post back

Oh well

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I'm real curious as to the direction they are taking the movie. It should be good.