Career in Graphic Design

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lawnboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Lawnboi
Member since 2005 • 2650 Posts

I am in my 11th year, so its time I decided what I wanted to be. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a graphic designer, I have a good idea with Photoshop and stuff. I wanted to know if I could go in there with minimum experience? I am not the greatest drawer ever, but I am not the worst. Will I be blown away by class mates?

ZeRo-ZeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ZeRo-ZeN
Member since 2003 • 2865 Posts
first off do you mean Graphic Designer or Graphic Artist?
fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
Woot! Me too, although I am leaning more towards the digital aspects of art, as in gaming and websites and such.
Lawnboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lawnboi

Woot! Me too, although I am leaning more towards the digital aspects of art, as in gaming and websites and such.fiscope

That is what I want also!!

ZeRo-ZeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZeRo-ZeN

[QUOTE="fiscope"]Woot! Me too, although I am leaning more towards the digital aspects of art, as in gaming and websites and such.Lawnboi

websites and gaming is a world of diference which would you rather focus in?
Lawnboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lawnboi
[QUOTE="Lawnboi"]

[QUOTE="fiscope"]Woot! Me too, although I am leaning more towards the digital aspects of art, as in gaming and websites and such.ZeRo-ZeN

Gaming fo sho

stu_godd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stu_godd
Member since 2006 • 538 Posts
if you practice drawing and photoshop and stuff as often as you can you should become avarege at it in a year or so.but your still young so have plenty of time.and try to do computer based art as much as posible
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
You're not going to get anywhere with minimum experience. You need to show off what you've done and it probably wouldn't hurt if someone reputable will vouch for you. It's also a very filled field so getting a job would be kind of hard unless you can do something that seperates you from the rest.
ZeRo-ZeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZeRo-ZeN
[QUOTE="ZeRo-ZeN"][QUOTE="Lawnboi"]

[QUOTE="fiscope"]Woot! Me too, although I am leaning more towards the digital aspects of art, as in gaming and websites and such.Lawnboi

Gaming fo sho

alright you need to know (master) photoshop, illustrator and maya (maybe flash) study architecture and anatomy (human and animal) keep on taking your figure drawing classes good luck
ZeRo-ZeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZeRo-ZeN
also get a summer internship THIS YEAR
stu_godd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stu_godd
Member since 2006 • 538 Posts

and BTW geting into the games industry is very hard and you need to be very very very very very very good.websites is much easyer.

also im doing a course in new media(websites,photo manipulation and some 3D modeling)

saragomsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By saragomsa
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Why would you get blown off my friend? Everyone is at time new to something like when your classmates would have also been new at time when they would have started this career. It do feels awkward something I know we are humans but be determined towards your goals if they bully you stay chill a time will come whey the same people will be forced to you appreciate you. I also got bully but now this is what I have good earning sites.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

If you want to get into gaming, I'd suggest you learn 3D modelling and animation and you need to develop your spatial awareness. Prepare to be an asset designer, because if you want to be a concept artist you have to be insanely good (also at drawing) and vacancies for jobs like that are incredibly incredibly slim.

If you want a career in web/online design you'll need to educate yourself in graphic design, compositing, interaction design, typography and iconography, but above all you'll need to get really good at commercial communication and conceptualisation. It's all about interpreting the end-consumer's needs and balancing the right communication with them by using correct focal points in your work. online design is NOT about making things that only look pretty.

I don't know how old you are, but there are great schools that can educate you in those fields.