Can you recommend me good Horror movies from last 3 years?

• 97 results
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#51 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@LexLas: So I'm also guessing that one of your issues with It Follows was that there wasn't any explanation for the titular It (going off what you said about Mama, which I haven't seen). But that's the thing about the movie. It doesn't have an identity because sex is as old as humanity itself. It doesn't need an origin because its origin is as old as humanity itself. And they established pretty early on that the thing will always be walking towards you. Not quite sure what your beef with that was. And as far as the acting goes, I thought it was fine. There were a few scenes where I thought Paul (the love interest) was a little iffy, but I was pretty convinced the whole way through.

As far as the finale goes, it follows the theme of loss of innocence (and the It is spread through sex which is losing sexual innocence and is often seen as a rite of passage into adulthood). The characters were more or less fresh out of high school (a few, like the main character were what I assume to be Freshmen in college) and were just stepping into the adult world. They spent a lot of time at the pool as teenagers and kids, so their final effort to keep adulthood away was going back to the pool and using the thing they spent so much time at as kids as a way to try and kill the It. They were using little kid logic and when that didn't work, they had to learn to accept the fact that they were no longer kids and had to grow up.

At least, that's how I view it. I thought a lot of the cinematography was pretty excellent and sound was used to great effect as well (the soundtrack was top notch). It speaks volumes that it doesn't rely on jump scares either and instead trusts itself to build an atmosphere.

I guess the big issue for you was a lot of the movie was meant to be interpreted thematically instead of literally, and I guess how I can see how that would turn people off. It wasn't a very literal story. But still, to call it the dumbest movie ever is a huge stretch. Maybe you need to watch some truly horrible movies, then reassess It Follows. There's true craft put into it and it looks great despite having a 2 million dollar budget (which is cheap for a movie). It does a lot of things right. Meanwhile, like I said earlier, Happy Madison Productions is regularly shitting out turds and releasing them as movies every year.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@LexLas: So I'm also guessing that one of your issues with It Follows was that there wasn't any explanation for the titular It (going off what you said about Mama, which I haven't seen). But that's the thing about the movie. It doesn't have an identity because sex is as old as humanity itself. It doesn't need an origin because its origin is as old as humanity itself. And they established pretty early on that the thing will always be walking towards you. Not quite sure what your beef with that was. And as far as the acting goes, I thought it was fine. There were a few scenes where I thought Paul (the love interest) was a little iffy, but I was pretty convinced the whole way through.

As far as the finale goes, it follows the theme of loss of innocence (and the It is spread through sex which is losing sexual innocence and is often seen as a rite of passage into adulthood). The characters were more or less fresh out of high school (a few, like the main character were what I assume to be Freshmen in college) and were just stepping into the adult world. They spent a lot of time at the pool as teenagers and kids, so their final effort to keep adulthood away was going back to the pool and using the thing they spent so much time at as kids as a way to try and kill the It. They were using little kid logic and when that didn't work, they had to learn to accept the fact that they were no longer kids and had to grow up.

At least, that's how I view it. I thought a lot of the cinematography was pretty excellent and sound was used to great effect as well (the soundtrack was top notch). It speaks volumes that it doesn't rely on jump scares either and instead trusts itself to build an atmosphere.

I guess the big issue for you was a lot of the movie was meant to be interpreted thematically instead of literally, and I guess how I can see how that would turn people off. It wasn't a very literal story. But still, to call it the dumbest movie ever is a huge stretch. Maybe you need to watch some truly horrible movies, then reassess It Follows. There's true craft put into it and it looks great despite having a 2 million dollar budget (which is cheap for a movie). It does a lot of things right. Meanwhile, like I said earlier, Happy Madison Productions is regularly shitting out turds and releasing them as movies every year.

I was just exaggerating when i said the dumbest movie ever. That is truly not true, i've seen much more terrible ones. I was just expressing my opinion at the moment, while trying to provide Indzman with something that would be worth his time in watching. Plus, i am a very hard person to please when it comes to horror movies. I grew up in a theater for most of the 80's & 90's as a kid. Seen many movies over and over because they played the same ones every week, new movie would release every Friday back then. That made me study, and rehearse, and learn about movie a bit more. Movies back then were Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm street, Poltergeist, House, ect., you get my point. I am one to never give a high score, even if the movie was just about perfect. So please forgive my opinion, it is coming from a person with a higher prospective on the topic. Hey, if it got me to watch it in the first place, something was of interest. I might have been expecting a whole different type of movie most likely. Cheers !

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

Baba dook dook dook!

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: Gonna pop in and second the You're Next suggestion. Great, fun ass horror movie.

Apparently there have been too many great horror movies lately as I am having trouble naming them all!

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Can't believe no one in here mentioned 28 days later, one of my favourite horror films ever, if not my favourite. Sorry, but I don't like supernatural horror movies..

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Can't believe no one in here mentioned 28 days later, one of my favourite horror films ever, if not my favourite. Sorry, but I don't like supernatural horror movies..

I loved 28 days later, 28 weeks later. BEST ZOMBIE THEME MUSIC EVER and oh running zombies lol

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@indzman: Wasn't a fan of 28 weeks later compared to the first, to be honest. The second felt more like an action movie with zombies compared to the first, which was suspenseful and scary. I wish they would make a third but all the directors split up and they aren't talking anymore apparently, but rumour is still going around about a third film but unfortunately I doubt it'll be confirmed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
  • "As Above, So Below", it's got a good setup, interesting premise, but it does what so many movies of its kind do and just sort of peters out toward the end, but overall worth watching just to see the things it does right in many ways.
  • "It Follows" - hurry up and watch it before your expectations are too high to satisfy
  • the V/H/S movie phenomena, if you're just looking to kill time in a semi-amusing way then can't beat a handful of interesting shorts, there's some decent ones in these collections though the last movie was rather shit but the first two definitely worth a peak
  • Eli Roth's "Clown" wasn't as bad as it looked, mildly amusing, I think it's hook is kids will die, as usually a horror cliche they conveniently live like it'd be taboo to do that in a film so casually

I'm looking forward to looking at other people's suggestions to so keep em coming, if you've an interesting bottom of the barrel kind of recommendation I'm totally for those if you can make a modest pitch

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 indzman

@lamprey263 said:
  • "As Above, So Below", it's got a good setup, interesting premise, but it does what so many movies of its kind do and just sort of peters out toward the end, but overall worth watching just to see the things it does right in many ways.
  • "It Follows" - hurry up and watch it before your expectations are too high to satisfy
  • the V/H/S movie phenomena, if you're just looking to kill time in a semi-amusing way then can't beat a handful of interesting shorts, there's some decent ones in these collections though the last movie was rather shit but the first two definitely worth a peak
  • Eli Roth's "Clown" wasn't as bad as it looked, mildly amusing, I think it's hook is kids will die, as usually a horror cliche they conveniently live like it'd be taboo to do that in a film so casually

I'm looking forward to looking at other people's suggestions to so keep em coming, if you've an interesting bottom of the barrel kind of recommendation I'm totally for those if you can make a modest pitch

Seen It Follows yesterday, its quite good :)

Not a fan of V/H/S for footage found camera HeHe. Will check out As Above,So Below from your recommendation. Not a fan of Clown in movies also lol. BTW Hows Eli Roth Hostel 1 and 2 ? gory as fvck ? :)

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I skimmed through this topic yesterday and it occurred to me that I haven't watched a horror movie in a while. So I decided to give The Babadook a chance as it received many recommendations. I have to say, that was a shit movie, even for a horror flick.

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

@GazaAli: Its just the same as what you are full of...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By lamprey263

@indzman said:

BTW Hows Eli Roth Hostel 1 and 2 ? gory as fvck ? :)

Yeah, I'd at least like to think so. Second movie wasn't as good as the first but worth watching if you liked the first. The third was straight-to-video kind of horrible though.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 indzman

@lamprey263 said:
@indzman said:

BTW Hows Eli Roth Hostel 1 and 2 ? gory as fvck ? :)

Yeah, I'd at least like to think so. Second movie wasn't as good as the first but worth watching if you liked the first. The third was straight-to-video kind of horrible though.

Haven't watched either, thats why taking your opinion :) So i should watch Hostel 1 ya ?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lamprey263

@indzman: yup

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@indzman:

Some recent to semi-recent horror flicks I've liked that come to mind:

Late Phases (unique werewolf flick)

Starry Eyes (Hollywood evil story)

You're Next (quirky slasher)

The Den (found footage brutal)

The Descent (plus the sequel)

The Taking of Deborah Logan (found footage--kind of unique for the genre)

Lake Mungo (Aussie ghost story--no gore, but creepy vibe)

Wolf Creek (Aussie slasher--sequel is brutal)

The Babadook

It Follows

We Are What We Are (American version)

Sinister

I Saw the Devil

Pulse (Japanese ghost story)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 indzman

@reduc_ab_ said:

@indzman:

The Babadook

It Follows SEEN

Sinister SEEN

I Saw the Devil

Pulse (Japanese ghost story) SEEN

Seen only three movies from your list, great list. Will definately try to watch that Werewolf flick first. Thanks for compiling a great list :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@turtlethetaffer: The film is about the rise of satanism, and at the same time, the fall of the Holy Church. Yes that sounds crazy; yes that is as crazy as it sounds. If you can get past the first line of this reply without laughing, bravo. What 'follows' the youth is the corruption of moral code. Promiscuity is simply a vehicle for moral destruction, and is mostly used as a symbol here. Passing the 'curse' means that the person must accept the action of bringing pain and suffering to another human willingly, even to survive. In turn, that person brings it to the next. Detroit is used in the film because it once stood as a symbol of American pride and value. It has now fallen to ruin, like the youth. The use of older technology throughout the film symbolizes the old way--the moral value system. The 'new' way is symbolized by the one piece of modern-looking tech in the movie: the girl's strange clamshell e-reader. Clamshells come from the depths of the sea, or in other words, the Underworld. The girl is reading The Idiot on the clamshell. The 'idiot' in the novel is oblivious of the importance of seemingly innocuous acts; like the youth is oblivious to how simply having a little fun could possibly have a larger consequence. Moral decay is a gradual, all-consuming process that leaves one open to increasingly perverse acts that little by little become more acceptable. The entity is hidden in plain view, inside of the image of friends and family and so forth, and can only be seen by those that have taken the step and have become corrupted, or in other words, have become part of what the entity represents, yet those as yet uncorrupted are actively affected by what is going on, as the main characters' friends are affected, though they cannot see the Enemy; this is a statement on the presence of evil in media, in government--everywhere--right in front of the peoples' eyes, yet they do not see unless they are consciously part of the program, so to speak, though unconsciously they participate and are morally and spiritually eroded from the inside because of it. At the end of the film, the girl with the reader is reading aloud a passage about the fear of the separation of the soul from the body. This is an occult/metaphysical concept; the fear only occurs to those unknowing of the immortality of good acts, of the higher mind, that is; to fear one's death is to negate god, god being man himself deified through his acts of kindness, charity, so forth. In other words, idiots fear losing their soul, because on some level they know that they have lost themselves spiritually. At the beginning of the film, the main character is viewing a squirrel on a wire chasing a bird, which represents the animal impulse of hurting another being without thought of repercussion. The event is occurring literally above her, the symbolic direction of Heaven and God, though in this case it is used in an inverted sense; throughout the film she looks upward again and again, as if recalling that initial sight of lower animal behavior, which ultimately she must fall on herself to survive, essentially tossing self-sacrifice for the good of mankind out the window. At the end of the film, she and her old friend, who loves her though she does not seem to love him, not in 'that' way, agree to have sex. The very last scene sees them walking down a sidewalk at night, dressed in white and black, followed by the entity. The sidewalk represents the aisle one walks down on their marriage day; the black and white represents the duality of good and evil, or in other words, the acceptance of both, and, in this case, participation in the latter, which is no longer shunned; nighttime is the inversion of light, light being symbolic of good; the two are in a sense getting married, though they are marrying themselves to the night, symbolic of evil, overseen by the entity that follows--forever, as long as they fear death, and thus the immortality of the soul. The negation of god is their lot now.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 turtlethetaffer

@reduc_ab_: That... That actually makes sense. ****. Wow. I guess that's the beauty of really good stories. They can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@turtlethetaffer: True, that is indeed the beauty of good storytelling. However, I'm not talking about interpretations here; I'm talking about an agenda that drives the industry. It infects mainstream films just as much as so-called indies, many of which are just disguised to appear independent. Look deep enough, and you'll find a common link concerning who is putting the content out there. Of course, we're not just talking about movies...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 turtlethetaffer

@reduc_ab_: Not sure I know what you're getting at. Your interpretation is totally valid, but so are the many others of the movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@turtlethetaffer: Oh, no, don't get me wrong. All interpretations are welcome, and equally valid based on the individual's perspective. What I'm saying is that regardless of any given interpretation, there is an agenda being put forth in this film. It is not alone in that respect. It is a very common agenda that reaches far beyond the entertainment industry, but perhaps most obviously it shows up there. A lot of people don't see it at all, however. The film largely addresses that.

You're right in implying I'm kind of talking around the subject here, though. It's a bit of a bomb to just drop on a person in the middle of a forum like this. Seeing the pattern (and by pattern I mean conscious, united intent) behind mainstream, and many not-so-mainstream, films, for instance, can be a difficult pill to swallow. Basically what I'm saying is that the symbolism, and furthermore the carefully constructed message (apart from the viewer's individual interpretation) of 'It Follows' do not belong to the film alone, but are shared by a huge amount, dare I say the majority, of modern films. There is intent there; cooperation; organization. It exists on a wide scale, and would perhaps best be illustrated by going through, shot by shot, a plethora of movies, music videos, television shows, etc. Of course that won't be happening right here. But if you're at all interested in this subject please feel free to continue the discussion.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 turtlethetaffer

@reduc_ab_: What agenda do you believe is being pushed, exactly...?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 indzman

@turtlethetaffer said:

@reduc_ab_: What agenda do you believe is being pushed, exactly...?

HEY, i watched It Follows . It was quite creepy lol. Today i'll watch OUTBREAK , i heard its quite scary too in terms of a non curable disease breaking out in US :)

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@GazaAli said:

I skimmed through this topic yesterday and it occurred to me that I haven't watched a horror movie in a while. So I decided to give The Babadook a chance as it received many recommendations. I have to say, that was a shit movie, even for a horror flick.

I like it. It's not that great of a horror movie but a great drama. The actress playing the mother was especially convincing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GazaAli said:

What didn't you like?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@indzman:

Top Tier:

The Orphanage (already mentioned but worth pointing out that this is a Gullermo Del Toro film, the guy who did Pan's Labirynth, Hellboy and Pacific Rim)
The Awakening (British ghost film very similar to The Orphanage)
Babadook (Aussie horror film)
Oculus (Best horror I had seen since Insidious)
It Follows (Really unique and creepy)
Insiduous 1 and 2 (haven't seen 3)

Surprisingly fun movie:

Unfriended (Looked like shit but I was entertained throughout the entire film. Not that scary but worth watching)

Next best:

The Conjuring (Not as good as Insidious)
Sinister (Not as good as The Conjuring)
Mama (okay)
You're Next (home invasion thriller, not my favorite genre but this one was good)
Deliver Us From Evil (kinda meh)

-Byshop

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Just watched It Follows. Plot was stupid IMO. The movie had some cool moments and it didn't rely on cheap jump scares but characters were boring. Didn't enjoy it much. Insidious Chapter 3 is better IMO. The Conjuring is best followed by The Babadook. Also, Vera Farmiga <3

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 indzman

@Byshop said:

@indzman:

Top Tier:

The Orphanage (already mentioned but worth pointing out that this is a Gullermo Del Toro film, the guy who did Pan's Labirynth, Hellboy and Pacific Rim)

The Awakening (British ghost film very similar to The Orphanage)

Babadook (Aussie horror film)

Oculus (Best horror I had seen since Insidious)

It Follows (Really unique and creepy)

Insiduous 1 and 2 (haven't seen 3)

Surprisingly fun movie:

Unfriended (Looked like shit but I was entertained throughout the entire film. Not that scary but worth watching)

Next best:

The Conjuring (Not as good as Insidious)

Sinister (Not as good as The Conjuring)

Mama (okay)

You're Next (home invasion thriller, not my favorite genre but this one was good)

Deliver Us From Evil (kinda meh)

-Byshop

Awesome recommendations Byshop, 'll check out one by one ( already saw It Follows after starting this thread from recommendations ) :)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Cloud_imperium
@sSubZerOo said:

... I endorse the movie "The Mist" starring Thomas Jane.. Probably one of the best horror adaptions from a King novel.

The Mist is definitely worth watching.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@indzman said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

@indzman:

The Babadook

It Follows SEEN

Sinister SEEN

I Saw the Devil

Seen only three movies from your list, great list. Will definately try to watch that Werewolf flick first. Thanks for compiling a great list :)

Do yourself a favor and watch The Descent and its extremely underrated sequel. Excellent movies. First one is really disturbing.

EDIT:

It has blood, gore and guts too. Also, don't forget "The Crazies".

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 indzman

@Cloud_imperium said:
@indzman said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

@indzman:

The Babadook

It Follows SEEN

Sinister SEEN

I Saw the Devil

Do yourself a favor and watch The Descent and its extremely underrated sequel. Excellent movies. First one is really disturbing.

EDIT:

OMG seems my kind of movie lol , and absolutely since you recommending it so highly. Thanks a lot Cloud :)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Cloud_imperium

@indzman said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

EDIT:

OMG seems my kind of movie lol , and absolutely since you recommending it so highly. Thanks a lot Cloud :)

No prob mate. I just wish there was Descent 3.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 GazaAli

@Aljosa23 said:
@GazaAli said:

What didn't you like?

It started well; the lead portrayed that dismal reality outstandingly and the kid raised my blood pressure. When the horror begins however, it all comes tumbling down. You never get a clear look at the Babadook, which is important to me in horror films; it's one of my most anticipated moments going in. We're not given any background on the Babadook; what is it? where did it come from? how do you get rid of it? That too is crucial to me, the mythology of the movie. When the Babadook supposedly possessed the woman and the kid decided to take matters into his own hands, it felt like a Home Alone mash-up. The ending was just nonsensical; seriously I don't know what to say about it. Everything halted out of the blue it made no sense even by horror movies' standards.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GazaAli
@bmanva said:
@GazaAli said:

I like it. It's not that great of a horror movie but a great drama. The actress playing the mother was especially convincing.

That was the highlight of the movie. But seeing how this is supposed to be a horror movie not a drama one, it's hard to appreciate it in light of the abysmal horror plot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@GazaAli said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@GazaAli said:

What didn't you like?

It started well; the lead portrayed that dismal reality outstandingly and the kid raised my blood pressure. When the horror begins however, it all comes tumbling down. You never get a clear look at the Babadook, which is important to me in horror films; it's one of my most anticipated moments going in. We're not given any background on the Babadook; what is it? where did it come from? how do you get rid of it? That too is crucial to me, the mythology of the movie. When the Babadook supposedly possessed the woman and the kid decided to take matters into his own hands, it felt like a Home Alone mash-up. The ending was just nonsensical; seriously I don't know what to say about it. Everything halted out of the blue it made no sense even by horror movies' standards.

I've seen the film a year ago but my interpretation is that The Babadook is grief. The Babadook is a literal manifestation of the protagonist's loss and guilt for how she feels her husband's unfortunate death was her fault and her son's. The Babadook possessing her to kill the kid was her true thoughts coming out and how she despises the child, not because he's a trouble child but because she feels he was also to blame her husband's death. She's in denial of this the entire time, all the way to forbidding people from even mentioning his name. The look of The Babadook, stark grays and blacks contribute to the theme of overwhelming loss, grief, and guilt. The ending in particular says one can never rid themselves of this and can only hope to control it and keep it from ruining your life.

You may have gone in with the expectations of the film trying to "scare" you but it's more of an allegory with horror elements.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GazaAli

@Aljosa23 said:
@GazaAli said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@GazaAli said:

What didn't you like?

I've seen the film a year ago but my interpretation is that The Babadook is grief. The Babadook is a literal manifestation of the protagonist's loss and guilt for how she feels her husband's unfortunate death was her fault and her son's. The Babadook possessing her to kill the kid was her true thoughts coming out and how she despises the child, not because he's a trouble child but because she feels he was also to blame her husband's death. She's in denial of this the entire time, all the way to forbidding people from even mentioning his name. The look of The Babadook, stark grays and blacks contribute to the theme of overwhelming loss, grief, and guilt. The ending in particular says one can never rid themselves of this and can only hope to control it and keep it from ruining your life.

You may have gone in with the expectations of the film trying to "scare" you but it's more of an allegory with horror elements.

I did get some of that message towards the end which slightly redeemed the movie. But I think you're giving them too much credit with that interpretation.

But maybe you're right: it's my expectation of a typical scare that's behind my disappointment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@GazaAli said:

I did get some of that message towards the end which slightly redeemed the movie. But I think you're giving them too much credit with that interpretation.

But maybe you're right: it's my expectation of a typical scare that's behind my disappointment.

Well that's the thing about art, where or not they intentionally put that symbolism in there is largely irrelevant. It exists, there's evidence to back it up, and I read the film like that.

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#88 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

No, not really.

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

I am a huge horror movie addict.

Sinister was f*cking creepy. "It Follows" was not very scary but it was an interesting concept and a good watch. WATCH "the taking of deborah logan" it is on netflix. it was super creepy.

The Babadook was not scary, but it was a good movie.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LostProphetFLCL

@GazaAli: Go read up on the Babadook a bit and then re-watch. Movie is damn brilliant with so many subtle things in the background that can easily be overlooked on the first viewing. What the movie suggests is going on makes it one of the most disturbing horror movies I have seen, but it also makes it brilliant.

As for a different topic, I can echo the earlier suggestion of watching The Descent. That movie is amazing. The sequel was utter horseshit though and I recommend avoiding it like the plague...

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By GazaAli

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@GazaAli: Go read up on the Babadook a bit and then re-watch. Movie is damn brilliant with so many subtle things in the background that can easily be overlooked on the first viewing. What the movie suggests is going on makes it one of the most disturbing horror movies I have seen, but it also makes it brilliant.

As for a different topic, I can echo the earlier suggestion of watching The Descent. That movie is amazing. The sequel was utter horseshit though and I recommend avoiding it like the plague...

I doubt I'll re-watch the movie as my movies backlog is congested to say the least. So I have no reservations if you're feeling like elaborating on what you said.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Make sure you get the original UK ending version of The Descent. The US version cuts the movie short to end on a cheap jump scare, as oppossed to the absolutely haunting ending the movie originally had.

-Byshop

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 GazaAli

I love horror movies with a religious twist. The Exorcist made me scared shitless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@turtlethetaffer: It's multifaceted, to say the least. It is also a dauntingly involved subject that takes a lot more than one person simply telling another about what is going on in this world. One facet: the subversion of parental guidance (especially in the U.S., but elsewhere as well), with an ultimate goal of disrupting the nucleus of the modern family from within, which is to say, by the consent of the family, each member on an individual level, while simultaneously implanting, through subversive psychological methodology dispersed throughout various forms of media, among other mediums, the suggestion of a thoroughly and drastically altered set of 'moral' values. The youth in particular is targeted, the reason for which is a much deeper discussion.

As always, if you're interested, we can continue this. It's best in small doses (no pun intended).

ayanami000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ayanami000
Member since 2015 • 125 Posts

why dont you try thailand horror movie? if you wana try just search. im sure you will like it. maybe try buppha rahtree. the one that has a kid ghost.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 LostProphetFLCL

@GazaAli said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

I doubt I'll re-watch the movie as my movies backlog is congested to say the least. So I have no reservations if you're feeling like elaborating on what you said.

Alright I will try and post some of the best tidbits.

Saying the Babadook represents the mothers grief is over-simplifying it. Yes her facing her grief and finally dealing with the loss of her husband is what keeps the Babadook at bay, but that is because SHE is actually the Babadook.

In her grief she really loses her mind. She has dis-associative states where she abuses her son. Subconsciously she blame him for her husbands death and unleashes hell on the child every now and then. In the movie she enters a dis-associative state a couple times. These states are signalled by the odd shots of her falling into bed.

This has sadly been going on for quite some time and it is what I feel makes the story so disturbing. The kid is PREPARED TO FEND OF HIS ABUSIVE MOTHER! It is no mistake that he is so good at fighting back when she goes full psycho bitch in the movie. He has all those insane contraptions because he has been having to fight for survival his whole life. To think a kid would experience abuse so bad and often that he has made weapons and traps to fight off his Mother is just incredibly fucked up.

Understanding the dis-associative state situation is really the biggest key to understanding the movie. The first time she goes into a dis-associative state in the movie is when she actually goes and creates the Babadook book. In her altered mental state she makes the book as a way to try explain what's happening. She creates the idea of this monster possessing her to make it easier for the kid to digest and I feel like in a way she is trying to pass off the blame. She very casually mentions that she used to writes children's books when they are at that kids birthday party. This is a HUGE plot point that can be easily overlooked, but it really is meant to be a huge hint as to what is really going on.

Having no recollection of this incidents, she is pretty damn disturbed by the book. She goes and destroys it as we see in the movie. She then has another dis-associative state where she goes and puts the book back together and also adds some finishing touches. When her mental state gets back to normal she is horrified to find the book has returned and is even more horrified at the additions. She thinks she is being harassed and goes to the police, but SHE is responsible for the book. If you pay attention, you can see the supplies used to make the book sitting out in the background in some shots at the house, and she has the charcoal or whatever material used to write the book all over her hands when she is at the police station.

She ends up falling into another dis-associative state where the "Babadook" completely possesses her and that's where things get crazy. The Mom is seriously ready to kill her son, but the kid has been through this rodeo before and is well prepared to fight back. He goes and incapacitates her and then tries to get through to her sane self. It seems all trippy during that climactic fight because her mental state is completely fucked and you are seeing things through her view at that time.

Speaking of, the other major key to understanding the movies weirder bits is to keep in mind that each part is being presented to you through either the view of the crazy Mom or the view of the immature kid. I would say the first half of the movie is completely presented through the view of the Mother (And I should note by that I mean the SANE version of her). This is why the kid seems so psychotic (She subconsciously hates him and views him as the worst thing in her life) in the early half.

Then we start getting more of the kids view. Notice how perfect his behaviour is later on. It is a tad realistic as kids are never THAT well behaved that consistently. Their combined views give us the trippiness of the ending. She sees the kid being tossed around by an invisible force when in reality she is throwing her kid around. He sees the Mom have a climactic fight with a monster that is not there (which did you notice, her image she made up for the Babadook looks an AWFUL lot like that suit and hat hanging in the basement? That is not an accident.)

What we get at the end IS indeed a happy ending where the Mom seemingly has found her ability to cope. She goes downstairs everyday to the room full of her husbands stuff and just screams all her feelings out AKA feeding the monster. We see this though through the kids view who thinks she is literally feeding a monster. What would a kid think a monster eats? Worms of course!

But yeah, all those underlying themes and touches and stuff make me think the Babadook is honestly one of the most brilliantly made horror movies ever. I honestly did not even touch everything but it is 2 AM, I wrote an essays worth and I need sleep! :P

Avatar image for Simulator_Shock
Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#97 Simulator_Shock
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

It's really good to see a list of a few decent horror movies since most horror movies that come out these days are fucking terrible! Paranormal Activity was the first movie that I actually fell asleep watching because it was so stupid and unscary. That movie seriously looked like something a film student made.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#98  Edited By battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

It Follows and The Babadook.