Can you recommend me good Horror movies from last 3 years?

• 97 results
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I watched Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead (2013), The Conjuring. What else awesome Horror movies came out in last three years that are a must watch ?

Its raining heavily in my city. In mood for a new chilling Horror movie :)

P.S : How is 'It Follows'? Scary and Gory?

Please advise fellas.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Technically (2011), but the Spanish movie "Sleep Tight" is excellent.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 indzman

@uninspiredcup said:

Technically (2011), but the Spanish movie "Sleep Tight" is excellent.

Its Spanish :( Don't understand the language, please recommend me english horror movies please :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

Subtitles matey.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

The Conjuring is pretty good, one of the better horror movies I've seen. Did you like it?

I've also heard good things about The Orphanage, a Spanish movie, but I haven't seen it, and it isn't from the last 3 years, it's older.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 indzman

@ianhh6 said:

The Conjuring is pretty good, one of the better horror movies I've seen. Did you like it?

I've also heard good things about The Orphanage, a Spanish movie, but I haven't seen it, and it isn't from the last 3 years, it's older.

not so much :(

I'm more of a Gory and Demonic/ Vampire Horror fan. Like Dracula or Evil Dead.

The Orphanage? Heard of it , but didn't see it. Is it good ? It got eng subs?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 indzman

@uninspiredcup said:

Subtitles matey.

It got eng subtitles? cool.

Hows the movie BTW? Scaqry as fvck or psychological thriller as in a psychopath murdering victims?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I really liked Insidious and Drag Me to Hell. Also, Annabelle is pretty good and kind of like a prequel to The Conjuring.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Catalli  Moderator

@indzman said:
@ianhh6 said:

Ahh, for me the horror movies that I can actually enjoy have less gore, more scary ambience. It's got excellent reviews and ratings, became quite famous even over seas buuuut... no, I can't find an English dub of the movie, so I imagine it doesn't exist :S

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#10 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

The Conjuring is crap.

El Orfanato is excellent.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@indzman said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Subtitles matey.

Hows the movie BTW? Scaqry as fvck or psychological thriller as in a psychopath murdering victims?

It's about a guy who resents people being happy, and he sort of becomes the anti-hero of the movie. Not gory, the methods the fellow goes about being spiteful are messed up.

The movie does a flip around, while in many movies the tense moments are the victims hiding from a psycho, here, it's the possibility of him getting caught.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Renevent42: Annabelle was absolutely awful....

Anyways, I would recommend Sinister, It Follows, and the Insidious series.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@Renevent42 said:

I really liked Insidious and Drag Me to Hell. Also, Annabelle is pretty good and kind of like a prequel to The Conjuring.

I've seen Insidious and Drag me to hell. Haven't seen Annabelle yet :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 indzman

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Oh, seen Sinister and Insidious.

How's It Follows? Will i be scared ?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 indzman

@uninspiredcup said:
@indzman said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Subtitles matey.

It's about a guy who resents people being happy, and he sort of becomes the anti-hero of the movie. Not gory, the methods the fellow goes about being spiteful are messed up.

The movie does a flip around, while in many movies the tense moments are the victims hiding from a psycho, here, it's the possibility of him getting caught.

Not my kind of Horror movie, sorry cup :( Recommend me as in demons/ vampires kind of Horror movies :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 indzman

@ianhh6 said:
@indzman said:
@ianhh6 said:

Ahh, for me the horror movies that I can actually enjoy have less gore, more scary ambience. It's got excellent reviews and ratings, became quite famous even over seas buuuut... no, I can't find an English dub of the movie, so I imagine it doesn't exist :S

Master recommending Orphanage too, so its on my next watch list. Thanks ianhh6 :)

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Catalli  Moderator

@indzman: Any time :)

Honestly I'm also writing down the suggestions popping up in this thread XD

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

It Follows and The Babadook.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 indzman

@sammyjenkis898 said:

It Follows and The Babadook.

Wuts Babadook?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Yeah, The Babadook was really good def agree with that suggestion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It Follows and The Babadook are excellent. Neither are all that gory or "scary" but they're still great films. Honourable mention to House of the Devil.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 indzman

Hmmm gonna put It Follows and Babadook on my must watch list as well, they got good reviews on RT :)

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@indzman said:

I watched Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead (2013), The Conjuring. What else awesome Horror movies came out in last three years that are a must watch ?

Please advise fellas.

It follows suc ked balls, don't' watch it, major disappointment. I thought (MaMa 2013) was pretty good, and the new Poltegeist was heck creepy, scary too. But i have not finished watching it. I saw half of it and was like ok, this has me at the edge of my seat scary. Its hard to find good scary movies these days. But please don't bother to see If Follows, i wanted to give it a 1, but could not. lol ..

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Mama (2013) was a great horror film IMO and I don't normally like films in the horror genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0b0bf0c8fa5
deactivated-5a0b0bf0c8fa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By deactivated-5a0b0bf0c8fa5
Member since 2014 • 768 Posts

Not from 3 years ago but fantastic none the less is Dario Argento's Sleepless, one of the only post 2000's movies I like. Also gory as ****, using extremely clever techniques to make it look real and authentic as possible.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@indzman: It isn't horribly scary but it is cool and clever. Also gets major brownie points for being filmed in my area. They actually go to the High School I graduated from in the movie!

Forgot about the Babadook as well! That movie is a damn masterpiece and is one of the most disturbing horror movies I have seen when you understand what the movie is suggesting.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Zombeavers

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

deliver us from evil was awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I recently saw the movie "Open Grave" on Starz starring Sharlto Copley (District 9, Elysium) and I thought it was a terrific lower budget horror/suspense/mystery movie... It actually kept my attention all the way through because your trying to understand exactly what is going on, in which in the beginning you think it's one thing.. But in the end it is quite another.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@indzman: It Follows is amazing, You're Next is also really great. Babadook is solid. Oculus really surprised me. I enjoyed it up until the ending, which I felt was extremely cheap, but the movie leading up to it was really solid. Also check out the VHS movies on Netflix (1 and 2 at least... I've heard the new one is shit). Apart from that, I can't think of anything. Horror mostly disappoints me, but when it's good, it's REALLY good. Also I hated the Conjuring. Thought it was a painfully generic piece of crap. And I went in ready to love it. I can give you some older movies that are good as well, if you're interested.

PS, It Follows is all about its atmosphere and ratcheting up the tension. There's very little violence or blood in the movie and virtually no jump scares. Instead, it creates a mood that really gets under your skin. The soundtrack is incredible, too. It deserves to become iconic like Halloween, The Exorcist, and Suspiria.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 indzman

Thanks a lot for the recommendation guys :

I've put the movies as follows on my must watch list for now:

The orphanage

It Follows

The Babadook

Deliver us from Evil

Oculus

:) :) :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 indzman

@LexLas said:
@indzman said:

Please advise fellas.

It follows suc ked balls, don't' watch it, major disappointment. I thought (MaMa 2013) was pretty good, and the new Poltegeist was heck creepy, scary too. But i have not finished watching it. I saw half of it and was like ok, this has me at the edge of my seat scary. Its hard to find good scary movies these days. But please don't bother to see If Follows, i wanted to give it a 1, but could not. lol ..

I've seen Mama :)

BTW everyone is recommending It follows in this thread, what do i do lol.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By indzman

@turtlethetaffer said:

@indzman: It Follows is amazing, You're Next is also really great. Babadook is solid. Oculus really surprised me. I enjoyed it up until the ending, which I felt was extremely cheap, but the movie leading up to it was really solid. Also check out the VHS movies on Netflix (1 and 2 at least... I've heard the new one is shit). Apart from that, I can't think of anything. Horror mostly disappoints me, but when it's good, it's REALLY good. Also I hated the Conjuring. Thought it was a painfully generic piece of crap. And I went in ready to love it. I can give you some older movies that are good as well, if you're interested.

PS, It Follows is all about its atmosphere and ratcheting up the tension. There's very little violence or blood in the movie and virtually no jump scares. Instead, it creates a mood that really gets under your skin. The soundtrack is incredible, too. It deserves to become iconic like Halloween, The Exorcist, and Suspiria.

I've put It Follows, Babadook, Oculus in my must watch list now. Thanks turtle:)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 turtlethetaffer

@indzman: No problem. Since you watched and (I'm assuming) liked the 2013 Evil Dead, definitely check out the original trilogy (ED1, 2 and Army of Darkness). They get sillier as they go on (1 is a seriously gory horror film, 2 has some gore but a goofy tone and Army of Darkness is basically a full on comedy) but all are worth watching. And since I'm assuming you can handle gore, I'll restate the first two V/H/S films. Both are on Netflix IIRC and each one has some really awesome segments (they're found footage anthology movies). VHS 2 has a segment which is probably the most intense thing I've ever seen (gory too, but not the goriest... Just so ridiculously intense. Never lets up during its half hour run time). And I just remembered. There's a French movie called Inside (or a l'interieur) and it's also super, super intense and has one of the most genuinely shocking endings I've ever seen. Just don't eat anything beforehand and expect something bleak.

And again, just warning you that the ending to Oculus left me super disappointed. Up to that point, it was actually really good and intense. So just expect a let down at the end.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Yes i bloody loved Sinister i actually became obsessed with that film and watched it many many times. Such a good horror movie loved the story the atmosphere and the music was real creepy. Loved the ending also.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 indzman

@turtlethetaffer said:

@indzman: No problem. Since you watched and (I'm assuming) liked the 2013 Evil Dead, definitely check out the original trilogy (ED1, 2 and Army of Darkness). They get sillier as they go on (1 is a seriously gory horror film, 2 has some gore but a goofy tone and Army of Darkness is basically a full on comedy) but all are worth watching. And since I'm assuming you can handle gore, I'll restate the first two V/H/S films. Both are on Netflix IIRC and each one has some really awesome segments (they're found footage anthology movies). VHS 2 has a segment which is probably the most intense thing I've ever seen (gory too, but not the goriest... Just so ridiculously intense. Never lets up during its half hour run time). And I just remembered. There's a French movie called Inside (or a l'interieur) and it's also super, super intense and has one of the most genuinely shocking endings I've ever seen. Just don't eat anything beforehand and expect something bleak.

And again, just warning you that the ending to Oculus left me super disappointed. Up to that point, it was actually really good and intense. So just expect a let down at the end.

Seen and fan of old Evil Dead Trilogy. Seen most old popular Horror movies ( evil dead , poltergiest , exorcist trilogy , demons trilogy, hellraiser trilogy ETC ) . Tried to see V/H/S 1 , couldn't get into it :( As i was never a fan of footage found Horror movies as Blair Witch project , V/H/S.

Just started watching It follows, enjoying it so far.

BTW can you recommend me gory / vampire or demon related Horror movies from old to new? Maybe i missed some if i check your list :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 indzman

@ariabed said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

Yes i bloody loved Sinister i actually became obsessed with that film and watched it many many times. Such a good horror movie loved the story the atmosphere and the music was real creepy. Loved the ending also.

I enjoyed Sinister, will watch Sinister 2 at some point :)

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LexLas

@indzman said:
@LexLas said:
@indzman said:

Please advise fellas.

I've seen Mama :)

BTW everyone is recommending It follows in this thread, what do i do lol.

They are just messing with you, and want you to suffer like i did watching the dumbest movie ever. Watch it, and then tell me i was right. Enjoy, lol

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@indzman: Well there's always The Thing, which is a splat classic (the John Carpenter version). Hm... I'll get back to you on the gory demon/ ghost stuff.

Also, like I said in my original post, You're Next. It's not very scary (but to say why would be to spoil it) but trust me when I say it's awesome. It's one of my favorite movies. Definitely check it out. Can't stress it enough, really. Wish I could give you reasons why, but spoilers. Basically, all I'll tell you is it's an incredibly well done home invasion film/ slasher that has a lot more to it than it at first seems to.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 turtlethetaffer

@LexLas: You cannot call It Follows the dumbest movie ever when Happy Madison is churning out at least one movie a year. Also, it's not a dumb movie.It's one of the most intelligent horror movies of recent years, and it's something where I can't understand how horror fans can't like it. Most do, but it's that minority that gets me. Maybe the metaphors in the movie flew over your head or something, but it's a simple but rich story of the loss of innocence and coming to terms with the idea of death.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 indzman

@turtlethetaffer said:

@indzman: Well there's always The Thing, which is a splat classic (the John Carpenter version). Hm... I'll get back to you on the gory demon/ ghost stuff.

Also, like I said in my original post, You're Next. It's not very scary (but to say why would be to spoil it) but trust me when I say it's awesome. It's one of my favorite movies. Definitely check it out. Can't stress it enough, really. Wish I could give you reasons why, but spoilers. Basically, all I'll tell you is it's an incredibly well done home invasion film/ slasher that has a lot more to it than it at first seems to.

I've seen both Things ( 80's and recent remake ). Loved Original most :)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

The Conjuring (based on true events), Insidious Chapter 3 and The Babadook.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@indzman said:

Thanks a lot for the recommendation guys :

I've put the movies as follows on my must watch list for now:

The orphanage

It Follows

The Babadook

Deliver us from Evil

Oculus

:) :) :)

Good list Indy you can't go wrong with either of these films.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LexLas

@turtlethetaffer said:

@LexLas: You cannot call It Follows the dumbest movie ever when Happy Madison is churning out at least one movie a year. Also, it's not a dumb movie.It's one of the most intelligent horror movies of recent years, and it's something where I can't understand how horror fans can't like it. Most do, but it's that minority that gets me. Maybe the metaphors in the movie flew over your head or something, but it's a simple but rich story of the loss of innocence and coming to terms with the idea of death.

LMAO ! A true comedian. Clap ! Clap ! Applause !

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

... I endorse the movie "The Mist" starring Thomas Jane.. Probably one of the best horror adaptions from a King novel.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 turtlethetaffer

@LexLas: Says the individual with a "Female Body Inspector" pic as their signature. But hey, I'll bite. Why didn't you like the movie?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LexLas

@turtlethetaffer said:

@LexLas: Says the individual with a "Female Body Inspector" pic as their signature. But hey, I'll bite. Why didn't you like the movie?

Dude, are we talking about the same movie ? The one i saw was about a spirit or ghost which will follow you until you have sex with someone, and then it will follow them. But if the person who you had sex with dies, it will come back to you. This is the same movie right ? One of the most special ed movies ever. This is the one right ? I honestly don't even know hot it made it on screen, on top of that into the scary or horror department of movies. I'd rather watch Zombie Strippers under the same category.

Loading Video...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@LexLas: Yep and it was brilliant. So why don't you tell me what you didn't like about it? And out of curiosity, what's your idea of a "good horror movie?" Like, which ones do you like?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LexLas

@turtlethetaffer said:

@LexLas: Yep and it was brilliant. So why don't you tell me what you didn't like about it? And out of curiosity, what's your idea of a "good horror movie?" Like, which ones do you like?

Bad actors, bad story, they don't haunt you, and they can't pass the door in front of you, you actually have to open the door to let them in. You can get in a car and drive away for miles, and somehow they miraculously have catch up mode and be able to walk all the way. They don't even attack, they walk to you like zombies. At one point they had the ghost in the pool, and were trying to electrify it ? Really ? WTF ! OMG ! did you use the word brilliant ? Wow ! LMAO ! Ok that was entertaining, a debate on a movie that should never been included in a horror library. I'm obviously never going to win this debate. A good horror film for me, would be a movie like MaMa. Not the best, or furiously scary, but the idea and concept were there. I gave that one a 8/10 for trying very hard to be a great story and scary. Thanks for the debate time, was fun. I can't break it down any further.

A good horror story for me begins with a story of an event of why the haunting is occurring in the first place. A reason for a haunting to be. Then there has to be reason why its crossing over, or stuck in our universe, and why are they choosing these victims. So much more to detailing a good haunting.