Can you defend yourself physically?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

Can you defend yourself physically from the average human?

#2 Posted by thriteenthmonke (49824 posts) -
Why do you want to know?
#3 Posted by tocool340 (20662 posts) -
I can defend myself like an average human being, yes. Never had any proper hand to hand training...
#4 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
Dude...I'm Mordin Solus. Can handle myself.
#5 Posted by michael_1234576 (8621 posts) -
yeah I may not look it but I can stand my ground pretty well
#6 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13479 posts) -

I've won some and lost some.

Last physical fight I had was in high-school, 20 years ago. Since then the average male around here has become quite large in the gut, espeically those of my age. I'm quite fit, not body-building fit but what we around here call 'farm-fit', as in just busting ass doing work. I could dance circles around all the fatties, but put me up against someone decently built and I'd call it 50/50. In the end it would probably just come down to who got the better shot in.

Put me up against a body builder or kung-fu dude and I'm going to see just how fast these boots move.

#7 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6337 posts) -

Yes, I'm a tough guy

#8 Posted by johnd13 (8331 posts) -

I' m a lover, not a fighter.

#9 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
No. It's very easy to overpower me. I mostly know get-away techniques, and my knowledge of self-defense is rudimentary. And in a serious situation in which I have to defend myself, I'd probably be too frightened to defend myself and instead I'd just try to escape.
#10 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

Easily-whenever I'm in a fight I go on red alert and do all this crazy sh!t I wouldn't think I'd be able to do or in other words adrenaline takes hold.

#11 Posted by Laihendi (5834 posts) -

Easily-whenever I'm in a fight I go on red alert and do all this crazy sh!t I wouldn't think I'd be able to do or in other words adrenaline takes hold.

sexyweapons
Why are you ever in fights anyways?
#12 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

Yes, I'm a tough guy

The_Gaming_Baby

#13 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

johnd13

what if your love is surrounded by goons?

#14 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Yes.

I always prefer a diplomatic solution.

#15 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

No. It's very easy to overpower me. I mostly know get-away techniques, and my knowledge of self-defense is rudimentary. And in a serious situation in which I have to defend myself, I'd probably be too frightened to defend myself and instead I'd just try to escape.ghoklebutter

i like your modesty :P

#16 Posted by johnd13 (8331 posts) -

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

indzman

Then we might have a problem :P

I' m skinny and never been in a real fight so I guess I would follow my instinct and adrenaline. Since we' re talking about an average guy it would probably be 45/55 against me :?

#17 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

Laihendi

I woke up one day and decided I wasn't going to take sh!t from nobody.
#18 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]No. It's very easy to overpower me. I mostly know get-away techniques, and my knowledge of self-defense is rudimentary. And in a serious situation in which I have to defend myself, I'd probably be too frightened to defend myself and instead I'd just try to escape.indzman

I'd rather be honest with myself. Being dishonest will only cause problems for me in the long-run.
#19 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

johnd13

Then we might have a problem :P

I' m skinny and never been in a real fight so I guess I would follow my instinct and adrenaline. Since we' re talking about an average guy it would probably be 45/55 against me :?

If i were in such a situation,

1.i'd first personally try to reason or even threaten,

2.if above dosen't work, i'd scream for help from passerby's

3. if there is no one around i'd try to run away with my love

4. if no chance of escape, i'll try to fight but i guess i'll've my ass handed out to me if there were couple of more tough guys :P

atleast i'll say i tried lol.

#20 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]No. It's very easy to overpower me. I mostly know get-away techniques, and my knowledge of self-defense is rudimentary. And in a serious situation in which I have to defend myself, I'd probably be too frightened to defend myself and instead I'd just try to escape.ghoklebutter

I'd rather be honest with myself. Being dishonest will only cause problems for me in the long-run.

rich ^_^

#21 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

sexyweapons

Thats the kind of mentality that can send you to prison, where you will meet a guy called bob who wpuld love for you to take his sh!t.
#22 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6218 posts) -

Well I don't have formal training but I've seen my fair share of violence.

Done alot of physical labor in my life, lots of old injuries so I'm not very fast, but I can take a whoopin and dish it back.

#23 Posted by comp_atkins (32026 posts) -
maybe.. going straight for the knees... can't fight if you can't walk.
#24 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13479 posts) -

maybe.. going straight for the knees... can't fight if you can't walk. comp_atkins

If they're smart enough to not lock their knees you're going to have a difficult time.

#25 Posted by sonicare (53620 posts) -

I know some basic holds and such. Joint manipulations.

#26 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -
[QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Why are you ever in fights anyways?

Thats the kind of mentality that can send you to prison, where you will meet a guy called bob who wpuld love for you to take his sh!t.

Good thing I live in the UK.
#27 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

I can defend myself enough.

#28 Posted by TehFuneral (8083 posts) -

Unfortunately no.

Even though im quite tall and people would consider me a threat, but i have no muscle at all.

A 7th grader could overpower me in arm wrestling.

Its embarrasing.

#29 Posted by Teenaged (31748 posts) -

No.

But I can run fast!

#30 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -
I'm a tactician. Not a fighter. I'm in great physical condition. But I know my limits. If the guy is like 300 pounds or super built. I'll just talk my way out of it or kick him in the nuts.
#31 Posted by comp_atkins (32026 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]maybe.. going straight for the knees... can't fight if you can't walk. br0kenrabbit

If they're smart enough to not lock their knees you're going to have a difficult time.

ok plan b. run fast. i'm pretty certain i can beat most over short to medium distances.. if some schmuck wants to chase me for a half mile+ to whoop me and can pull that off, more power to them :P
#32 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Been playing lots of Sleeping Dogs lately.

Pretty sure I can handle myself quite well.

#33 Posted by cmpepper23 (3256 posts) -

Yes, but I know my limits. I could propbably handle most average people because I'm in great shape and have a background in boxing. However, I am a lightweight, 5'9" and 140 lbs.

#34 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
Depends on what kind of situation I am in.
#35 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Once the adrenaline takes over I'd probably have way more strength than I think I have. I have a serious weight and muscle-size (not -strength however) advantage over the average guy (5'7" 165 lbs?) being close to double that in weight (but not morbidly obese; I can still jog 15-20 minutes without becoming winded). The GF and I are planning on getting Y memberships and going at least twice a week. I'll be concentrating on muscle-strength building and apparently they offer free Tae Kwon Do lessons with the membership, so I'll take full advantage of that.
#36 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

I think I could. I've taken some self defense classes and read a lot of self defense articles. How this would hold up against an actual attack, I'm not sure, though.

#37 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

I got into a few fights back in HS and acquitted myself pretty well. I'd say...yeah.

Edit:

I usually chicken out or tuck tail between the legs. Being called chicken or p***y have no effect on me. But, if I'm cornered and have no choice, I can dish it out.

#38 Posted by KiIIyou (27155 posts) -
I'll bite their eye out!
#39 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
I'll go for the jugular if I have to.
#40 Posted by curono (7710 posts) -
Yes I can. I believe I have the ability to defend myself from several humans. At the same time.
#41 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -

I doubt I can.

#42 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

Yeah I'm a hard-ass and think all fights are like the ones in movies.

#43 Posted by Namgis (3592 posts) -

Yes. I have had training in hand to hand combat and have a good deal of strength, so I would feel comfortable. In a fair fight that is.

#44 Posted by awesomeface (3661 posts) -
Working on it. I've been taking jiujitsu for the past few months.
#45 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5434 posts) -
From the average human? Hell yeah.
#46 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Yes, I've got my trigger control down very welll on my CCW XD9sc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJDMl-uffi6KzBKnsPU6Q

Not my @$$, but my gun system & a simular holster.

#47 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6337 posts) -

johnd13
You sound like an easy target to me
#48 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -
I won't be beaten without getting my own hits in so yeah I can defend myself okay. Not massively, if someone big attacks me I'll just hit them as hard as I can and run away, I do a hell of a lot of cardio on my bike and treadmill and walking so I reckon I can run away from the best of them. :D
#49 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Of course I can.

I just choose to run away 99.9% of the time.

#50 Posted by johnd13 (8331 posts) -

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

The_Gaming_Baby

You sound like an easy target to me

Maybe. I' ve never been in a fight so I honestly don' t know my limits.