Can you break your own neck by turning your head as far as you can to one side

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Is it possible to break your own neck, by twisting it will all your strength to one side, without using your hands? Im not suicidal or anything, just have a condition called OCD and these irrational thoughts pops up into my head. So my question is: If you sit in a chair and suspend your body and only using your head and twisting your neck/head to one side, as far as you can with all your strength, can you break your own neck? And I mean without using your hands or any tools. Just sitting in a chair and not turn your body, but only your head as far as you can?

#2 Posted by Yandere (9878 posts) -

Is it possible to break your own neck, by twisting it will all your strength to one side, without using your hands? Im not suicidal or anything, just have a condition called OCD and these irrational thoughts pops up into my head. So my question is: If you sit in a chair and suspend your body and only using your head and twisting your neck/head to one side, as far as you can with all your strength, can you break your own neck? And I mean without using your hands or any tools. Just sitting in a chair and not turn your body, but only your head as far as you can?

ZiggyStardust16
I don't believe so, you have to use quite a lot of force to snap someones neck.
#3 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
No, I don't think so.
#4 Posted by lonewolf604 (8537 posts) -

ZiggyStardust16
if that's OCD then that means i have OCD to! i keep thinking about beating up my crush who i can't talk to....i keep thinking about throwing my brand new iphone on the street, and it bugs the hell out of me. i keep getting these thoughts in my head
#5 Posted by idk761 (3229 posts) -
I just tried to do it, since I am typing this I still have my neck in place
#6 Posted by blazingkiller63 (409 posts) -

You my freind have placed a weird image in my head...and no, dont think you can.

#7 Posted by mattisgod01 (3476 posts) -

it would take alot of force and you really can't get much strength from your arms in that position. Its also impossible to suffocate yourself by holding your breath. As soon as you start to lose consciousness you will gasp for air....incase you where wondering.

#8 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Well okay I appreciate the answers! If you really put all your strength into it, turning your head as far as you can to one side without moving your body and without using your hands or any tools can you break your neck or is this just simply impossible?

#9 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Someone?

#11 Posted by FlyingArmbar (1545 posts) -

I'm going with no. I'm even doubtful that someone else could break your neck using both hands if you tightened the muscles.

#12 Posted by L30KinG (1893 posts) -

you can hurt your neck but not break it, unless your super stong and wanna kill your self

#13 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Well you can say that, but for a normal guy(or another other guy) is it next to impossiblè?

#14 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

I don't know about breaking your neck... but I do know it's possible to bite your own ear lobe if you turn your head fast enough.

#15 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10934 posts) -
Gonna have to go with a no on that, sorry.
#16 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10343 posts) -

only if you're alone,remember your best golf shots always occur when you're playing alone.

#17 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Only if your alone - Meaning??? Can you do it! I just have to be sure you know what I mean. If you sit in a chair and there's a picture just behind your back and you just sit there and without moving your body and not using your hands to push the neck further. If you use all your strength to be able to see that picture, without using your body, can you break your neck or will it be impossible to turn your head that far and can you in any way, the way I explained itm break your own neck. Im sorry if I details this too much, just making sure you understand what im asking, which I think you all do.

#19 Posted by Funky_Llama (18428 posts) -

ANY THING'S POSSIBLE

Chris_Williams
Is it possible for something to be impossible then? :o
#20 Posted by wii4panta (2886 posts) -

Well okay I appreciate the answers! If you really put all your strength into it, turning your head as far as you can to one side without moving your body and without using your hands or any tools can you break your neck or is this just simply impossible?

ZiggyStardust16
If you really put all your strength into it, turning your head as far as you can to one side without moving your body and without using your hands or any tools...it's impossible IMO.
#21 Posted by wii4panta (2886 posts) -

Only if your alone - Meaning??? Can you do it! I just have to be sure you know what I mean. If you sit in a chair and there's a picture just behind your back and you just sit there and without moving your body and not using your hands to push the neck further. If you use all your strength to be able to see that picture, without using your body, can you break your neck or will it be impossible to turn your head that far and can you in any way, the way I explained itm break your own neck. Im sorry if I details this too much, just making sure you understand what im asking, which I think you all do.

ZiggyStardust16
I have another question for you. If YOU keep your OWN breath will you die?
#22 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10343 posts) -

ZiggyStardust16
maybe all of a sudden you would break your neck,..how should we know?
#23 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Are you sure about that? And please tell me why its impossible? What can happen? Will the body resist. I have all so many questions to such a simple question. Im sorry

#24 Posted by Mr_Buttman (5528 posts) -

Well yes it IS possible... but very hard. I mean the elderly don't need much force to break their bones because they bones are so weak and fragile.

#25 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

Well is it possible if you just sit there and turning your head with all your strength without moving your body and without using your hands to put more pressure or any tools. I just can't see how this could be possible?

#26 Posted by tofu-lion91 (13481 posts) -
No, I don't think so.MrPraline
This plus I wonder how many OTers are twisting their necks round right at this minute :P
#27 Posted by wii4panta (2886 posts) -

Are you sure about that? And please tell me why its impossible? What can happen? Will the body resist. I have all so many questions to such a simple question. Im sorry

ZiggyStardust16
Your body is unpreictable sometimes. My friend, for example, broke 5 ribs from sneazing so you never know.
#28 Posted by Ngakor (38 posts) -

you can hurt your neck but not break it, unless your super stong and wanna kill your self

L30KinG
If you were "super" strong, then your neck would be, as well. You would not be capable of breaking it, even then.
#29 Posted by Funky_Llama (18428 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]No, I don't think so.tofu-lion91
This plus I wonder how many OTers are twisting their necks round right at this minute :P

*raises hand* D:
#30 Posted by ButaDujo (331 posts) -

maybe if you were jackie chan.

#31 Posted by wii4panta (2886 posts) -
[QUOTE="tofu-lion91"][QUOTE="MrPraline"]No, I don't think so.Funky_Llama

*raises hand* D:

Haha you're such a tool.............- -...............*raises hand too*.
#32 Posted by ZiggyStardust16 (1266 posts) -

But wii4panta you said it was impossible. Why? Please elaborate I would really appreciate that

#33 Posted by Funky_Llama (18428 posts) -

But wii4panta you said it was impossible. Why? Please elaborate I would really appreciate that

ZiggyStardust16
Because the human neck muscles are incapable of producing enough force.
#34 Posted by WeaponXY (1280 posts) -

Someone should try it and let us know.

#35 Posted by chAzN93 (34864 posts) -
no...
#36 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

Ziggy, you are messed up., justkidding. You couldn't, but if somebody snuck up behind you and jerked it in a 90 degree angle, well let's just say you wont be getting up from that any time soon.

#37 Posted by declan999 (76 posts) -

i nearly broke it by poping it:shock: i was VERY STIFF NO JOKE

#38 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

It wouldn't make sense for your neck muscles to be that strong, and it's normally extremely difficult for someone to harm themselves seriously with no tool.

#39 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -

Your neck muscles are more then strong enough to break your own neck (it really takes a lot less force then most people think)

But, your body has a built in reflex in the form ofgolgi tendon organs and muscle spindels that will act to prevent any muscle in your body from stretching or contracting to much. So no, its not possible.

#40 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -

Your neck muscles are more then strong enough to break your own neck (it really takes a lot less force then most people think)

But, your body has a built in reflex in the form ofgolgi tendon organs and muscle spindels that will act to prevent any muscle in your body from stretching or contracting to much. So no, its not possible.

cobrax25
but with the assistance of your hands? :o
#41 Posted by Gallion-Beast (35803 posts) -
[QUOTE="ZiggyStardust16"]

wii4panta
I have another question for you. If YOU keep your OWN breath will you die?

No, you'll start breathing again after you pass out.
#42 Posted by The-Tree (3315 posts) -

I think if you apply enough force and speed with a mixture of determination, you could.

#43 Posted by VigilantEagle (139 posts) -
I do not see that being possible.
#44 Posted by Brainkiller05 (28954 posts) -

declan999
why did you bump this thread? and I remember this thread lol
#46 Posted by adamBlu_00 (198 posts) -

u need a lot of force to do that

#47 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -

[QUOTE="declan999"]

Brainkiller05

and this one lol

#48 Posted by Brainkiller05 (28954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"][QUOTE="declan999"]

Overlord93

and this one lol

I think he also made one asking about radiation from game consoles and was scared that touching a game disc would give him cancer because it's been inside the console
#49 Posted by jaldaka (1 posts) -
I dont know where your getting your info from but that is not true what so ever. Ziggy, your thoughts are just thoughts. I honestly get the same sometimes and I don't have ADD. Ofcourse i dont get it as bad as you do, but regardless i think that you can control it. The way that i deal with it is by thinking that anything is possible. Whatever your curious about, IT CAN HAPPEN IF YOU TRY HARD ENOUGH. Thats the answer. Can you break your neck by twisting your head alone? No. But someone that is very strong that wants to actually commit suicide can indeed break his neck by twisting it with his hands quickly with every force that he has. Thats all there is too it. And as far as your curiosities, I would recommend to be dependent on Google instead of random opinions.
#50 Posted by lonewolf604 (8537 posts) -
[QUOTE="ZiggyStardust16"]

lonewolf604
if that's OCD then that means i have OCD to! i keep thinking about beating up my crush who i can't talk to....i keep thinking about throwing my brand new iphone on the street, and it bugs the hell out of me. i keep getting these thoughts in my head

Wow who bumped this, I was so emotional back then.