Can These Situations Be Classified as Rape in Your Opinion?

  • 100 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

Disclaimer: Rape is a very touchy subject, so I'd like to make it clear that this thread's purpose is to discuss the matter seriously.

__________________

Do you consider the following situations to be rape?

1. A seventeen year old girl runs away from home and while walking down the street, a man in his forties approaches her and asks her why she's outside alone late at night. She tells him that she's run away from home, so he offers her the opportunity to stay in a spare bedroom at his home. She accepts and while she's lying down in the spare bedroom trying to fall asleep, the man enters and proceeds to have sex with her. She never resists, neither physically nor verbally, and allows him to have his way. However, she's afraid and doesn't want what's happening to her to happen. Is this rape, in your opinion?

2. A nineteen year old woman signs up for a pornographic video shoot. During the shoot, she experiences pain and places her hands on the man's pelvis to minimize his thrusts and moves around a lot to distract herself from the pain. However, she never tells the male actor to stop. Is this rape, in your opinion?

#2 Posted by toast_burner (21449 posts) -

1) Yes. You can't just have sex with people without asking first.

2) No. She agreed to the sex. Not enjoying sex doesn't mean it must be rape, it's just bad sex.

#3 Edited by Master_Live (14185 posts) -
  1. Yes
  2. No
#4 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

The first one is statutory rape depending on the region it took place in.

The second one is fair game.

#5 Posted by Master_Live (14185 posts) -

#6 Edited by indzman (17244 posts) -

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

#7 Posted by Korvus (3217 posts) -

Don't think you're going to get different answers from the ones you got so far. Seems like a pretty straight deal to me.

#8 Posted by toast_burner (21449 posts) -

@indzman said:

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

obviously he raped someone and is trying to convince himself it wasn't rape.

#9 Posted by indzman (17244 posts) -

@indzman said:

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

obviously he raped someone and is trying to convince himself it wasn't rape.

ROFL

#10 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

@toast_burner: Actually, you don't have to formally ask someone if you can have sex with them. It is most times a largely nonverbal act, where communicating with body language takes priority. However, in this case, the girl is underage, so yeah it's rape.

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (87693 posts) -

@indzman said:

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

obviously he raped someone and is trying to convince himself it wasn't rape.

Might have been one of his cousin's hoodrats.

#12 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

obviously he raped someone and is trying to convince himself it wasn't rape.

Might have been one of his cousin's hoodrats.

You want the honest truth? Well, here it is.

1. The first situation describes the circumstances under which I was conceived.

2. The second is in regard to an amateur pornographic video I saw on the internet today.

#13 Posted by toast_burner (21449 posts) -

@toast_burner: Actually, you don't have to formally ask someone if you can have sex with them. It is most times a largely nonverbal act, where communicating with body language takes priority. However, in this case, the girl is underage, so yeah it's rape.

well I didn't literally mean asking them. But they have to do something to show that they want it.

17 isn't under age. Here the age of consent is 16. I think in America the average is around 17.

#14 Posted by indzman (17244 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

obviously he raped someone and is trying to convince himself it wasn't rape.

Might have been one of his cousin's hoodrats.

You want the honest truth? Well, here it is.

1. The first situation describes the circumstances under which I was conceived.

Damn !!!

#15 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

#16 Posted by toast_burner (21449 posts) -

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

That's like saying not tackling a bank robber means you wanted to be robbed so he didn't actually do anything wrong. There are people who would kill you if you try to resist them. Some times the safest option is to let them do what they want and hope it ends quickly.

#17 Posted by Korvus (3217 posts) -

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

That's a really shitty thing to say, man...So the "However, she's afraid and doesn't want what's happening to her to happen" is negligible? Being afraid for your life is fair game because you didn't explicitly say no?

#18 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

It's pretty obvious that the first case is rape and the second case is not. Consent was given in the second case but not in the first case.

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

What kind of fucked up logic is that? This is one of the biggest problems with rape culture, we have assholes making all kinds of shitty justifications up even when they've been explicitly told it was non-consensual.

#19 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29105 posts) -

The first situation is, the second isn't.

#20 Posted by Serraph105 (27822 posts) -

1) Yes. You can't just have sex with people without asking first.

2) No. She agreed to the sex. Not enjoying sex doesn't mean it must be rape, it's just bad sex.

agreed with this^ consent is very much a key part of determining rape. Being sore from sex does not a rape make, but not even requesting the sex in the first place certainly can be a situation which can be considered rape.

#21 Posted by Serraph105 (27822 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

BRHD Rapeland version 2.0 ^_^

P.S - blu why are you obsessed with rape so much ???

obviously he raped someone and is trying to convince himself it wasn't rape.

Might have been one of his cousin's hoodrats.

You want the honest truth? Well, here it is.

1. The first situation describes the circumstances under which I was conceived.

oh....shit.....I stand by what I said, but I must admit to being taken aback when I read this.

#22 Posted by thegerg (14859 posts) -

Yes, but I don't think that they both are.

#23 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Yes, but I don't think that they both are.

Why not, Gergy boy?

#24 Edited by themajormayor (25700 posts) -

I'm not sure about the first one. But she's 17. That should be enough.

#25 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

Disclaimer: Rape is a very touchy subject, so I'd like to make it clear that this thread's purpose is to discuss the matter seriously.

__________________

Do you consider the following situations to be rape?

1. A seventeen year old girl runs away from home and while walking down the street, a man in his forties approaches her and asks her why she's outside alone late at night. She tells him that she's run away from home, so he offers her the opportunity to stay in a spare bedroom at his home. She accepts and while she's lying down in the spare bedroom trying to fall asleep, the man enters and proceeds to have sex with her. She never resists, neither physically nor verbally, and allows him to have his way. However, she's afraid and doesn't want what's happening to her to happen. Is this rape, in your opinion?

Yes, because she didn't consent to have sex.

2. A nineteen year old woman signs up for a pornographic video shoot. During the shoot, she experiences pain and places her hands on the man's pelvis to minimize his thrusts and moves around a lot to distract herself from the pain. However, she never tells the male actor to stop. Is this rape, in your opinion?

No, because she consented to have sex.

Is this question supposed to be difficult?

#26 Posted by themajormayor (25700 posts) -

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

#27 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

I'm very sorry for the trauma you and close to everyone in this thread has experienced.

#28 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

#29 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

My anus hurts after reading this

#30 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

My anus hurts after reading this

My fault, actually.

#31 Edited by themajormayor (25700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

I'm very sorry for the trauma you and close to everyone in this thread has experienced.

Sorry won't bring my innocence back.

#32 Posted by themajormayor (25700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

Yes. With one girl.

#33 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

Yes. With one girl.

Girlfriend? Give me the details of the relationship, please.

#34 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

I'm very sorry for the trauma you and close to everyone in this thread has experienced.

Sorry won't bring my innocence back.

Come, now. Do you really expect me to believe you were ever innocent?

#35 Posted by themajormayor (25700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

Yes. With one girl.

Girlfriend? Give me the details of the relationship, please.

Yes. Details? What kind of details?

#36 Edited by themajormayor (25700 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

I'm very sorry for the trauma you and close to everyone in this thread has experienced.

Sorry won't bring my innocence back.

Come, now. Do you really expect me to believe you were ever innocent?

#37 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

That's a really shitty thing to say, man...So the "However, she's afraid and doesn't want what's happening to her to happen" is negligible? Being afraid for your life is fair game because you didn't explicitly say no?

How's the guy supposed to know that she's afraid? Did she make that clear, make any fuss, resist even a bit? According to the scenario, no she didn't. The guy's working off the information he's given.

@toast_burner said:
@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

That's like saying not tackling a bank robber means you wanted to be robbed so he didn't actually do anything wrong. There are people who would kill you if you try to resist them. Some times the safest option is to let them do what they want and hope it ends quickly.

Except that stealing is always wrong and illegal, while there is nothing wrong with sex it and of itself.

@Barbariser said:
@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

What kind of fucked up logic is that? This is one of the biggest problems with rape culture, we have assholes making all kinds of shitty justifications up even when they've been explicitly told it was non-consensual.

Define consent. Is it some written, formal agreement? It's quite impossible to have sex with a woman who doesn't want it unless she's forcibly raped. Lack of any form of resistance (verbal and nonverbal) gives a clear answer of consent.

#38 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

Yes. With one girl.

Girlfriend? Give me the details of the relationship, please.

Yes. Details? What kind of details?

Length of relationship and ages at which it began, as well as why it ended if it did.

#39 Posted by xxyetixx (1258 posts) -

So for the first one, is it wrong, yes, is it rape, depends what the conversations were between picking her up and her actually going to bed. He picked a girl up willing took her back to his place they had sex. She never said no and never told him to stop. Lawyer gets him off easily.

2nd one not rape at all

#40 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

So for the first one, is it wrong, yes, is it rape, depends what the conversations were between picking her up and her actually going to bed. He picked a girl up willing took her back to his place they had sex. She never said no and never told him to stop. Lawyer gets him off easily.

2nd one not rape at all

He took her home while she was under the impression that he was merely providing her a place to stay since she ran away from home. I should also add that he had children living with him at the time, one of which was around the girl's age.

#41 Edited by xxyetixx (1258 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef: So what's that matter if he has kids her age or not. What he did was morally wrong, but not legally. Age of consent is 17 where I live, and the guys kids being there only takes away that she shouldn't of been in fear for her life to say no or scream as others would hear her.

#42 Posted by thegerg (14859 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

Yes. With one girl.

Girlfriend? Give me the details of the relationship, please.

Yes. Details? What kind of details?

Length of relationship and ages at which it began, as well as why it ended if it did.

Dude, dial back the creepiness.

#43 Posted by xxyetixx (1258 posts) -

If you look at it in terms of legality the first scenario lawyer gets the guy off.

Second scenario lawyer may be able to get the girl some money for damages and maybe breech of contract depending on how it was written up and what was expected of her

Funny how that all works huh

#44 Posted by Treflis (11479 posts) -

First one is a definite Rape case.

Second one I'd have to say it isn't unless she tells him to stop and he doesn't.

#45 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

1. Yes

2. No

The answer is obvious too.

#46 Edited by SpartanMSU (3440 posts) -

@Barbariser: A lot of times when you have sex it isn't verbal as in, "Hey, would you like to participate in intercourse with me?" Not all girls are going to rip their clothes off and say stick it in me. Not saying what this guy did wasn't weird or wrong.

I don't know if it was rape in a legal sense though since I'm not familiar with the nuances of the law. It is however, insanely creepy and fvcked up, especially with a 17 year old.

#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150338 posts) -

1) Yes. You can't just have sex with people without asking first.

2) No. She agreed to the sex. Not enjoying sex doesn't mean it must be rape, it's just bad sex.

Concur

#48 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -
@Shottayouth13- said:

@Barbariser said:
@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

What kind of fucked up logic is that? This is one of the biggest problems with rape culture, we have assholes making all kinds of shitty justifications up even when they've been explicitly told it was non-consensual.

Define consent. Is it some written, formal agreement? It's quite impossible to have sex with a woman who doesn't want it unless she's forcibly raped. Lack of any form of resistance (verbal and nonverbal) gives a clear answer of consent.

The OP literally spells out that it was unwanted and that the man did not ask her first, and there's an implication that he thought she was sleeping. This is explicit non-consent, and there are many reasons why a rape victim would not attempt to resist a physically stronger person who just showed that he can't be bothered to ask before having sex with someone half his age, and who is also in a position of power over her (she's taking shelter in his house).

And no, there are tonnes of ways to rape someone without having to overcome "resistance": use drugs/alcohol to inebriate them, wait until the person is asleep/incapacitated, threat of force, .etc. Cut it out with the "assumed consent" crap, seriously, it's ridiculous that you're trying to spin it that way when the scenario explicitly tells you that no consent was given.

@SpartanMSU said:

@Barbariser: A lot of times when you have sex it isn't verbal as in, "Hey, would you like to participate in intercourse with me?" Not all girls are going to rip their clothes off and say stick it in me. Not saying what this guy did wasn't weird or wrong.

I don't know if it was rape in a legal sense though since I'm not familiar with the nuances of the law. It is however, insanely creepy and fvcked up, especially with a 17 year old.

Consent doesn't need to be verbal, but given that the girl was trying to sleep, the man was a stranger twice her age, and the OP explicitly told us that she didn't want it, there's no reason to think that she was giving him "non-verbal" consent.

#49 Edited by Master_Live (14185 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@themajormayor said:

Apparently I, and probably close o everyone in this thread, has been raped like hundreds of times.

You've had sex hundreds of times? I really missed a particular developmental milestone. I am, ironically, fucked. When will it be my turn?

Yes. With one girl.

Girlfriend? Give me the details of the relationship, please.

Yes. Details? What kind of details?

Length of relationship and ages at which it began, as well as why it ended if it did.

#50 Posted by Korvus (3217 posts) -

@korvus said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

That's a really shitty thing to say, man...So the "However, she's afraid and doesn't want what's happening to her to happen" is negligible? Being afraid for your life is fair game because you didn't explicitly say no?

How's the guy supposed to know that she's afraid? Did she make that clear, make any fuss, resist even a bit? According to the scenario, no she didn't. The guy's working off the information he's given.

@toast_burner said:
@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

That's like saying not tackling a bank robber means you wanted to be robbed so he didn't actually do anything wrong. There are people who would kill you if you try to resist them. Some times the safest option is to let them do what they want and hope it ends quickly.

Except that stealing is always wrong and illegal, while there is nothing wrong with sex it and of itself.

@Barbariser said:
@Shottayouth13- said:

@toast_burner: Well, not resisting is a pretty good sign that they want it.

Being underage is the only way I can classify the first instance as rape.

What kind of fucked up logic is that? This is one of the biggest problems with rape culture, we have assholes making all kinds of shitty justifications up even when they've been explicitly told it was non-consensual.

Define consent. Is it some written, formal agreement? It's quite impossible to have sex with a woman who doesn't want it unless she's forcibly raped. Lack of any form of resistance (verbal and nonverbal) gives a clear answer of consent.

So you invite someone over because she has no place to stay, you jump on top of her halfway through the night without even having any sort of talk about what you're going to do, without her telling you she wants you or otherwise indicate that (going by the information we've got, as you said) and then check if she struggles/screams/panics; if not and she just lays there, limp as a dead fish she definitely wants you; I mean, we all know that "submissive trembling bitches want it bad", right? (This is sarcasm, by the way). You do know that your mind and body can lock up out of sheer panic, right? Just because you can do something to a woman, doesn't mean she wants it, and it definitely doesn't mean you should. The sentence "It's quite impossible to have sex with a woman who doesn't want it" is also disturbing, but maybe I'm reading too much into it. Did the women who had an orgasm during a rape wanted it after all?

You really need to pick up on some social queues man; are you sure every girl you've been with wanted it? After what I read from you tonight, I'm not sure and I really hope if I ever have a daughter she doesn't go anywhere near guys who think like you...Don't get me wrong, I don't know you and I don't know your life, but to me anything other than a straight up "yes" or any sign of desire towards the act BEFORE I do anything is a resounding NO in my book, and the fact that it's not for you is a bit scary, to be honest.

@thegerg said:

Dude, dial back the creepiness.

Holy f'in shit...I agree with a thegerg post. I'm getting drunk tonight!