Can I leave my smartphone in the charger all night long?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goobertaco45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 goobertaco45
Member since 2008 • 263 Posts

I know that if you plug a cell phone in the charger and leave it there all night, and you do this all the time, you can overcharge your phone and this will decrease the overall battery life of the phone. However, I just got a new smartphone and I have heard from several people that it is OK to leave a smartphone plugged in all night. At the same time, I have heard conflicting things saying that this is not true.

Does anyone know for real if it is OK to leave a smartphone plugged in all night? I don't want to damage my battery.

If it makes a difference, I have the Samsung Stratosphere on Verizon.

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Go for it....

goobertaco45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 goobertaco45

Also, I have heard that it is better to leave your phone on all night than to turn it off. I've heard that turning your phone off for the night and turning it back on in the morning uses more battery than if you just put the phone to sleep. Is this true?

Thanks for the help.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

not sure if its safe, but i do that.

i have to charge my phone nightly, and im sure as hell not gonna stay up and keep checking if its charged or not, as smartphones dont have the best battery life.

i read somewhere, that with the batteries that are used now, its not a big deal.

dont know how credible it is though.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

im pretty sure your phone stops charging after its charged 100%. Ive done it for years and havent noticed any degredation aside from regular degeneration that comes from charging hundreds of times

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I have never heard of "over charging" before.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I routinely get mine to charge to 107%.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

"Battery memory" was a problem in the past. Batteries would die faster if you started charging them before the battery was at 10%. Some of the oldest models would "overcharge" but that was solved long ago. Today, most phones use lithium batteries which don't have that problem anymore. They do die gradually over time but it's not because of charging wrong. All the notions you hear today are just die-hard rules.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it. Your phone could explode, dude.

not really. i always leave mine with the charger.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
After 100% your phone doesn't use your battery anymore if it is still being charged, it just uses electricity from your socket/computer.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Cell phone batteries are designed to only charge to a certain point. If you leave it it will just charge as much as it can and that's it. Nothing bad will happen. Now, what is bad for the battery is letting it completely drain before charging it.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
At this point in cellular technology what phone isn't considered a smart phone?
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
NO I won't allow it.
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

Yes, it is fine and will not do any damage to the battery. Overcharging is a thing of the past.

goobertaco45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goobertaco45

OK thanks everyone for the answers. My other question is whether I should turn my phone off at night, or if I should just leave it turned on? I heard turning it off wastes more energy, but that seems a little silly to me. Can anyone tell me if thats true?

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

OK thanks everyone for the answers. My other question is whether I should turn my phone off at night, or if I should just leave it turned on? I heard turning it off wastes more energy, but that seems a little silly to me. Can anyone tell me if thats true?

goobertaco45
The answer is "kind of". When a cell phone is turned off, it takes a lot of battery power to turn it back on. The CPU has to run full blast to start up all the services. The battery gets drained because the phone has to find the closest cell tower. If you have any other stuff enabled like GPS, then it has to set that up. That said, whether or not it's more efficient to leave it on or not is entirely dependent on how long you turn it off. All night, I'm assuming would be about 8 hours. Some phones go in to this super-sleep type mode where it only turns off the most draining features after a set period of time. In that case, the battery is barely being sucked down at all and the phone is pretty efficient, so turning it off is worse. Slightly older models from like 2-3 years ago don't do this, so it's probably best to turn them off.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Who has the time to get up in the middle of the night unplug it?... I left the thing plugged all night I don't care.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

only if it's near dead if you only let it got to orange or a little bit in green then charge it constantly it will think it only has that much batter power yada yada yada.

true story

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Every time mine charges to 100% and I leave it plugged in for a little while even when full, as soon as I unplug it, it loses about 5-8% of the total charge.
goobertaco45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goobertaco45
Every time mine charges to 100% and I leave it plugged in for a little while even when full, as soon as I unplug it, it loses about 5-8% of the total charge.rockguy92
What kind of phone do you have?
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
[QUOTE="rockguy92"]Every time mine charges to 100% and I leave it plugged in for a little while even when full, as soon as I unplug it, it loses about 5-8% of the total charge.goobertaco45
What kind of phone do you have?

Basic Droid.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

It's alright bro, just leave your phone out in the sun, it should charge with this app.

goobertaco45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 goobertaco45

[QUOTE="goobertaco45"][QUOTE="rockguy92"] What kind of phone do you have?rockguy92
Basic Droid.

Well that is probably why, the Droid is pretty old and has lots of bugs.

It's alright bro, just leave your phone out in the sun, it should charge with this app.

flipin_jackass

That doesn't work, I am pretty sure that is just a joke app.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
yes, i do it all the time.
KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts
This could have been googled....
magicnpepper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 magicnpepper
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
No harm in that. You get fully charged smartphone in the morning. As others have alreday said, smartphone love to drain the battery to max possible.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Lithium Ion batteries used in phones are a completely different technology than the old alkaline batteries. It is perfectly safe to charge them all night, to charge them with the battery at any level and to leave the phone on all the time. They are rated for a certain number of charges before they begin to lose a charge, it's usually in the 10,000's. People have this weird idea about batteries, usually from their experience with the old alkaline rechargeable. It's mostly folk rumors.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Older devices used to keep running a current from your charger to your battery as long as it was plugged in. However, smartphones and most other good quality devices nowadays stop charging once the battery is full so with a new phone it is safe to let it charge over night.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="goobertaco45"]

I know that if you plug a cell phone in the charger and leave it there all night, and you do this all the time, you can overcharge your phone and this will decrease the overall battery life of the phone. However, I just got a new smartphone and I have heard from several people that it is OK to leave a smartphone plugged in all night. At the same time, I have heard conflicting things saying that this is not true.

Does anyone know for real if it is OK to leave a smartphone plugged in all night? I don't want to damage my battery.

Ackad

This still applies to today. Currently dealing with this problem for my Macbook pro. Once it's charged, take it out. 

It's only an issue after so many charges. Look at your manual is should tell you to how many charged the battery is rated to. It's usually somewhere around 10,000. After that there's a chance the battery life will begin to decrease. If you take it out immediately after it's charged then you'll have to charge it sooner, getting closer to your rated limit of charges. Laptops that mostly run off of wall power usually have batteries that last longer because they are not continuously drained and recharged.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Diablo-B

[QUOTE="goobertaco45"]

Ackad

This still applies to today. Currently dealing with this problem for my Macbook pro. Once it's charged, take it out. 

This is false. Im a long time macbook user, I currently have 2. Leaving it plugged for days does not effect the battery's performance. It stops charging the battery once it is fully charged. Once every couple months you should completely drain the battery and give it a full charge for battery health but leaving it plugged in over night does not affect its performance. In fact giving it small charges here and there or constantly draining it and charging it will do more to wear the battery out then leaving it plugged in.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Diablo-B
[QUOTE="Ackad"]

[QUOTE="goobertaco45"]

ferrari2001

It's only an issue after so many charges. Look at your manual is should tell you to how many charged the battery is rated to. It's usually somewhere around 10,000. After that there's a chance the battery life will begin to decrease. If you take it out immediately after it's charged then you'll have to charge it sooner, getting closer to your rated limit of charges. Laptops that mostly run off of wall power usually have batteries that last longer because they are not continuously drained and recharged.

You beat me to it but yes, this it correct. (And you said it better then me I might add)
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

goobertaco45

all the modern phones shut it down when it hits 100% then let it discharge to around 95% or so so it's not a problem.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
a year late..
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Yes, it's perfectly safe because of something called 'trickle charging' which charges the battery at the same rate as self-discharge, so it won't put the battery under pressure at 100% charge.