Can Any British people explain this joke for me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Huffanddoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Huffanddoback
Member since 2011 • 319 Posts
Anyone watching life's too short? I hate gervais but I find this show very funny. Anyway the second episode on hbo has Warwick going to a star wars wedding and grabbing the microphone for a roast style best man speech, during which he tells a joke about the groom liking cricket and not to worry because his test came back negative. Not exactly a word for word copy but if anyone watches the show or can figure out the joke can it be explained for me? I looked online Nd can't find an explainition for it.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
british jokes are a joke
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
I'm not British but its probably alluding to some sort of sexual act or condition?
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

im gonna need the joke in its entirety.

jonnymcl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jonnymcl2k
Member since 2004 • 1604 Posts

some matchs in cricket are called test matchs, maybe it's something to do with that*

*brit who doesn't like cricket

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

some matchs in cricket are called test matchs, maybe it's something to do with that*

*brit who doesn't like cricket

jonnymcl2k

probably this, but I need the whole joke.

Huffanddoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Huffanddoback
Ok I found the joke in its entirety on YouTube...he says " the groom is a huge cricket fan, I know he's been waiting to find out the test results, it's alright mate....they're negative"
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Ok I found the joke in its entirety on YouTube...he says " the groom is a huge cricket fan, I know he's been waiting to find out the test results, it's alright mate....they're negative"Huffanddoback
yeah, it is just the test match/blood test thing.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Ok I found the joke in its entirety on YouTube...he says " the groom is a huge cricket fan, I know he's been waiting to find out the test results, it's alright mate....they're negative"Huffanddoback

Like someone said, in cricket you have test matches. And he was obviously implying the groom was waiting on test results for an STD.

Huffanddoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Huffanddoback
Thanks guys for the quick answer! I just didn't understand how he went from cricket to std results but after the answer I looked up test cricket. The joke makes much more sense now. Thankfully I can watch this show on demand...i have to pause it at least twice a show to go online and look at a English slang interpreter to figure out what they are actually referring to!
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Thanks guys for the quick answer! I just didn't understand how he went from cricket to std results but after the answer I looked up test cricket. The joke makes much more sense now. Thankfully I can watch this show on demand...i have to pause it at least twice a show to go online and look at a English slang interpreter to figure out what they are actually referring to!Huffanddoback
Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IX6K77zHwg Americans needing translators in England...
theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
if you havent already check out ricky gervaises The Office its really funny and there are only 14 eps. you'd probably like Gervais after watching those
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="Huffanddoback"]Thanks guys for the quick answer! I just didn't understand how he went from cricket to std results but after the answer I looked up test cricket. The joke makes much more sense now. Thankfully I can watch this show on demand...i have to pause it at least twice a show to go online and look at a English slang interpreter to figure out what they are actually referring to!Shadowhawk000
Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IX6K77zHwg Americans needing translators in England...

Raghhhhh Its ridiculous and quite offensive i fail to see why Americans could not understand someone like Susan Boil.... WHAT?
Huffanddoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Huffanddoback
[QUOTE="Shadowhawk000"][QUOTE="Huffanddoback"]Thanks guys for the quick answer! I just didn't understand how he went from cricket to std results but after the answer I looked up test cricket. The joke makes much more sense now. Thankfully I can watch this show on demand...i have to pause it at least twice a show to go online and look at a English slang interpreter to figure out what they are actually referring to!jwsoul

Raghhhhh Its ridiculous and quite offensive i fail to see why Americans could not understand someone like Susan Boil.... WHAT?

I had to go online to hear the way Susan Boyle speaks and while it is far from the clearest English accent I have ever heard its not that bad. I would think the subtitles might have been for oprahs older fans who might like that woman's story but don't hear all that well anymore.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Hmmm Maybe. Look why isnt it you dont hear the English complaining about American accents? This has been coming up a lot lately Americans not understanding English / Accents. I wonder why its such a difference!?

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

[QUOTE="jwsoul"][QUOTE="Shadowhawk000"] Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IX6K77zHwg Americans needing translators in England...Huffanddoback

I had to go online to hear the way Susan Boyle speaks and while it is far from the clearest English accent I have ever heard its not that bad. I would think the subtitles might have been for oprahs older fans who might like that woman's story but don't hear all that well anymore.

Susan Boyle isn't even English.....

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
You...can hate ricky gervais?
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
You...can hate ricky gervais?kris9031998
Yes, its quite easy. A cricket match is called a test. Thats as best as I can explain it without the full joke. Plus is a Ricky Gervais joke so it wont be funny any way.