Can a skull shape change with constant pressure?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by OrangeTabbyCat (92 posts) -
I just realized that I have a small cavity on top of my head.(Never noticed it before) I didn't injure myself recently or ever had any injury that could cause this. I've been wearing headphones for years now, every single day and they have a bit of plastic sticking out that I imagine must put a bit of pressure. Is it possible that these headphones I've wore every day for 3+ years have slowly change the shape of my skull? (Since the cavity and the headphones fit so perfectly, it would be one heck of a coincidence) Any ideas?
#2 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

Your headphones did not change the shape of your head. If you have a hole in your skull, or a seriously abnormal indentation, you need to have it looked at. Your skull is not perfectly even or round naturally.

You CAN change the shape of your skull with pressure, it used to be done in some cultures to babies, similar to the way the Chinese (I think?) did foot binding to make themselves have small feet. I believe they wore specially designed headwear to force the child's head into a cone shape. It's also done now to children with medical issues, but to force it into a normal shape rather than an abnormal one. As an adult it's nearly impossible to reshape the skull, it's already hardened. As an infant your skull is soft, so it'd be much easier to shape.

EDIT: Also, these shapings were done with cranks and whatnot and some very serious pressure, not a little nub of plastic on a set of headphones that weighs maybe a pound.

#3 Posted by BranKetra (48738 posts) -
Probably with enough pressure. Who knows. See a good doctor.
#4 Posted by Bloodseeker23 (8338 posts) -
Over reacting. TC you are.
#5 Posted by OrangeTabbyCat (92 posts) -

Your headphones did not change the shape of your head. If you have a hole in your skull, or a seriously abnormal indentation, you need to have it looked at. Your skull is not perfectly even or round naturally.

You CAN change the shape of your skull with pressure, it used to be done in some cultures to babies, similar to the way the Chinese (I think?) did foot binding to make themselves have small feet. I believe they wore specially designed headwear to force the child's head into a cone shape. It's also done now to children with medical issues, but to force it into a normal shape rather than an abnormal one. As an adult it's nearly impossible to reshape the skull, it's already hardened. As an infant your skull is soft, so it'd be much easier to shape.

EDIT: Also, these shapings were done with cranks and whatnot and some very serious pressure, not a little nub of plastic on a set of headphones that weighs maybe a pound.

XilePrincess
I don't have a full fledged hole, its more a depression. I didn't injure myself recently or anything(I don't think my skull fractured on its own), although the depressed area is kind of painful/pulsating.
#6 Posted by BMD004 (5883 posts) -
[QUOTE="OrangeTabbyCat"]I just realized that I have a small cavity on top of my head.(Never noticed it before) I didn't injure myself recently or ever had any injury that could cause this. I've been wearing headphones for years now, every single day and they have a bit of plastic sticking out that I imagine must put a bit of pressure. Is it possible that these headphones I've wore every day for 3+ years have slowly change the shape of my skull? (Since the cavity and the headphones fit so perfectly, it would be one heck of a coincidence) Any ideas?

Maybe they just leave an indention in the tissue on your head. I notice if I wear my reading glasses for too long, that I get indentions behind my ears. It takes a while for them to go away. It almost feels like the skull is indented... but it's not.
#7 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="OrangeTabbyCat"] I don't have a full fledged hole, its more a depression. I didn't injure myself recently or anything(I don't think my skull fractured on its own), although the depressed area is kind of painful/pulsating.

Depressions are normal, I have one on the side of my head. You can acquire them as an infant due to many things (I've heard sleeping on one single spot constantly could cause it, but haven't looked into that claim much) but they're not harmful. If it's causing you pain and you can completely rule out simple headaches, bruising, pain due to tugging on your hair (like if you sleep and it gets caught on something and pulls all night) and dehydration headaches, and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing you can find that could contribute to the pain, see a doctor. If it's "pulsating" in the same way your temples do if you put your finger on them, that's perfectly normal, but if it's like some horror movie pulsating, I'd go get that checked too. Basically, don't worry about it unless it's causing you serious enough pain that your vision is blurred or you can't complete basic daily tasks, get it checked out immediately. Anything that actually reduces your quality of life is a problem.
#8 Posted by harashawn (27599 posts) -
Only over a long period of time as the skull grows.
#9 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

You can influence they way a skull grows if you start applying pressure early enough.

Wearing headphone recently isn't going to change the shape of your skull. You should see a doctor because something might be wrong if you found a hole.

#10 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

It can happen, especially with headphones if they are the type with metal rims and press tight to your head.

Wear headphones which are lose, I knew an old lady from when I worked as a telephone operator in a call center orderline, she had a dent in her dead from the metal headphones.

It's funny the ones who are saying "it can't happen", oh yes it can, plenty of evidence on the Internet. Quite often the dents can heal up, so get new headphones! The pressure of my headphones are all on my ears, and I don't mind if it was to press my ears in, unfortuantly I don't think that works, will need a lot more pressure lol, my ears are a little funny they poke out my hair and got little points on the tip I'm a frigging elf.

#11 Posted by Vinegar_Strokes (3401 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]

OrangeTabbyCat
I don't have a full fledged hole, its more a depression. I didn't injure myself recently or anything(I don't think my skull fractured on its own), although the depressed area is kind of painful/pulsating.

maybe a spider burrowed into your skull on night whilst you was sleeping and laid its eggs in you. i does happen.
#12 Posted by Krigen89 (3907 posts) -
You can technically, it's one of the base principals in osteopathy, but we're not talking centimeters here, not even millimeters... Plus, if you mean earphones level of pressure, it's probably just your soft tissues, meaning skin/blood vessels/muscles/etc that got compressed and rearranged... doubt earphones could do anything to your skull. Then again, you might have always had this without knowing.
#13 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
This can happen with infants due to the nature of how the skull grows and hardens but for an adult or young adult, I highly doubt it.
#14 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

It can if the pressure is applied while you grow. Some tribes do that to the babies.

#15 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

You can get dents in your head but I don't think your actual skull changes form.

#16 Posted by Alter_Echo (10722 posts) -

I wouldn't worry about your skull. Worst case scenario you can just have the top of it removed and wear a mullet wig instead.

#17 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

that means you have brain cancer. the pain and pulsating you feel is the tumor growing more and more.

sorry, but you're deadsies